|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What symbol were Jews forced to wear to identify them as Jews?
2. What area of the city was directly across the river from the zoo?
3. What did Lutz Heck take from the Warsaw Zoo in addition to valuable animals?
4. Who sent fruit and vegetable peelings to the zoo to feed the animals in the fall after Warsaw's surrender?
5. What was the name of the rhesus monkey that was stealing babies from other monkeys?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Antonina describe her friend Magdalena?
2. Why did the Germans take children with Aryan features to be raised in Germany?
3. Why were Jan and Antonina so frightened when they witnessed a trolley being bombed?
4. Why was Antonina glad Rys was not with her when she travelled back to the country home after visiting Jan in Warsaw?
5. What made Antonina feel hopeful at first when Lutz Heck came to visit the villa?
6. How did Dr. Muller help Jan return to Warsaw?
7. What was Lutz Heck’s real plan in taking animals from the Warsaw Zoo?
8. Why were Antonina’s parents killed when she was nine?
9. Why were the Warsaw Zoo’s polar bears shot by Polish soldiers?
10. Why did Wanda and Adam Englert divorce?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ackerman describes the zoo in detail before it is destroyed during the war, and also describes the damage that is done as a result of the war. Write an essay explaining the importance of the way in which Ackerman describes the zoo as the book begins and how the zoo changes as the story unfolds. How do the changes to the zoo affect the people who call it home?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay discussing the importance of Szymon Tenenbaum’s insect collection. What did the collection say about Tenenbaum? Why was it important to the Underground? What does the collection symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing how Rys changed from before the war until the time when they return to Warsaw after the Uprising. How did the war affect his relationships with other people? Did the war have lasting effects on Rys?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)