|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sent fruit and vegetable peelings to the zoo to feed the animals in the fall after Warsaw's surrender?
2. Which of the following was one of Lutz Heck's hobbies?
3. What was Antonina's father's occupation?
4. What was the name of the rhesus monkey that was stealing babies from other monkeys?
5. Who did Antonina and Rys stay with when Jan was first ordered to join the army and the zoo was evacuated?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was special about the baby elephant Tuzinka?
2. What was unusual about the baby badger that Antonina raised?
3. Why did Jan feel such a strong connection with the Jews?
4. Why did Antonina initially turn down Lutz Heck’s offer of help for the zoo?
5. Why did the Zabinskis frequently invite non-Jewish visitors to the villa?
6. How did Antonina describe her friend Magdalena?
7. How did Dr. Muller help Jan return to Warsaw?
8. Why did Jan suggest that the zoo be used to raise pigs?
9. What special ability did Antonina have that Jan described as “metaphysical waves”?
10. Why did the Resistance use cryptonyms?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing how Rys changed from before the war until the time when they return to Warsaw after the Uprising. How did the war affect his relationships with other people? Did the war have lasting effects on Rys?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay discussing the importance of Szymon Tenenbaum’s insect collection. What did the collection say about Tenenbaum? Why was it important to the Underground? What does the collection symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
Heck’s re-creation of extinct animal species is controversial because of his ties to the Nazis and because some people argue that the animals are merely mixes of breeds and, therefore, not a species themselves. Write a persuasive essay that takes a side in the argument. Use examples from the text and from research to support your argument.
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)