|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sent fruit and vegetable peelings to the zoo to feed the animals in the fall after Warsaw's surrender?
2. What did Antonina feed the Guests that she passed off as pheasant?
3. What was the baby elephant's name?
4. What animal did Jan raise at the zoo to feed German soldiers?
5. How old was Antonina when her parents were killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Jan feel such a strong connection with the Jews?
2. How did Antonina describe her friend Magdalena?
3. What was special about the baby elephant Tuzinka?
4. Why did the Resistance use cryptonyms?
5. What special ability did Antonina have that Jan described as “metaphysical waves”?
6. Why was Antonina shocked by what Lutz Heck said about Germany’s chances of the war?
7. Why were Antonina’s parents killed when she was nine?
8. How does the author describe the sounds of the zoo in the morning before the war?
9. Why did Wanda and Adam Englert divorce?
10. Why were the Warsaw Zoo’s polar bears shot by Polish soldiers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several Biblical references in describing the villa. Write an essay examining the use of those references and why the author uses them.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining the significance of the title of the book. Why did the author choose to write about Antonina rather than Jan? How does making Jan the protagonist of the book support Ackerman’s themes?
Essay Topic 3
When Maurycy is renamed Pawel (Paul), he gives the hamster a new name, Piotr (Peter), and says they will be like the disciples. Write an essay that explains what Maurycy means by this and what or who they will be disciples of.
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)