|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where in the zoo did the Germans build a weapons storehouse?
2. How did Jan and Antonina know the German soldier who came to the villa to tell them that Lutz Heck wanted to see them?
3. Who did Antonina supposedly remind Lutz Heck of?
4. Who ruled Warsaw after the surrender?
5. What area of the city was directly across the river from the zoo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Resistance use cryptonyms?
2. Why did Jan feel such a strong connection with the Jews?
3. Why did Jan purposely draw attention to himself when he was thanking Ziegler for bringing him to the Ghetto to see Szymon Tenenbaum?
4. What was unusual about the baby badger that Antonina raised?
5. How did Dr. Muller help Jan return to Warsaw?
6. What was Lutz Heck’s real plan in taking animals from the Warsaw Zoo?
7. Why did Antonina initially turn down Lutz Heck’s offer of help for the zoo?
8. Why were Antonina’s parents killed when she was nine?
9. Why did Antonina compare herself to a lioness when she was staying with her sister-in-law?
10. Why were the Warsaw Zoo’s polar bears shot by Polish soldiers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining how Ackerman uses the animal motif to explain the Nazi agenda of creating a master human race. Explain what the Nazi’s hoped to achieve and why and how Ackerman compares that to Lutz Heck’s goal of re-creating extinct species.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the importance of codenames to the Underground. Why do they use them? What do the names reveal about the people they are chosen for? Provide examples of codenames and explain their meanings.
Essay Topic 3
When Maurycy is renamed Pawel (Paul), he gives the hamster a new name, Piotr (Peter), and says they will be like the disciples. Write an essay that explains what Maurycy means by this and what or who they will be disciples of.
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)