|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Jan meet while on a daily bicycle tour of the zoo?
2. What name did Jewish women with Aryan-sounding names have to change their names to?
3. When Antonina ventured outside of the store they were sheltered in, what did she see falling from the sky?
4. What event were Jan and Antonina preparing for when the war began?
5. Who did Antonina supposedly remind Lutz Heck of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Jan feel such a strong connection with the Jews?
2. How does the author describe the sounds of the zoo in the morning before the war?
3. Why did Antonina compare herself to a lioness when she was staying with her sister-in-law?
4. What was Lutz Heck’s real plan in taking animals from the Warsaw Zoo?
5. Why did Lutz Heck want to re-create the aurochs?
6. Why did the Resistance use cryptonyms?
7. Why did Lutz Heck hold the shooting part at the zoo on New Year’s Eve?
8. Why did the Germans take children with Aryan features to be raised in Germany?
9. Why were Antonina’s parents killed when she was nine?
10. Why did Antonina initially turn down Lutz Heck’s offer of help for the zoo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Heck’s re-creation of extinct animal species is controversial because of his ties to the Nazis and because some people argue that the animals are merely mixes of breeds and, therefore, not a species themselves. Write a persuasive essay that takes a side in the argument. Use examples from the text and from research to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Antonina and how her life at the zoo prepared her to help Jan rescue Jews during the war. What was Antonina like before the war? How did her personality affect the way she treated the Guests? What skills helped her to survive the war?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing how the author develops the theme of what makes a house a home. How does Antonina make the villa a home even after the war starts? How does she make the schoolhouse a home?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)