|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Janusz Korczak when the deportations to the death camps began?
2. What did Feliks Cywinski say was his happiest moment while rescuing Jews?
(a) Rescuing a toddler from the Ghetto.
(b) The day the Ghetto was reopened.
(c) The end of the war when all of the Jews he was hiding could go free.
(d) The birth of Regina Kenigswein's baby.
3. How many boxes did Antonina recall there were in Szymon Tenenbaum's insect collection?
4. How did the Polish Underground learn of Treblinka?
(a) From a German soldier who was a spy for the Underground.
(b) Through a coded letter.
(c) A member of the Underground escaped Treblinka and reported back.
(d) Through a German newspaper.
5. What was the name of Antonina's children's book about lynxes?
(b) The Wild Lynx.
(c) Tofi and Tufa.
(d) A Lynx Tale.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another name for the bottle grenades that Jews in the Ghetto used as a defense against the Germans?
2. How did Janina Buchholtz, a member of Zegota, help Jan and Antonina rescue Jews?
3. How did Antonina know Regina Kenigswein's father?
4. What was the name of Rys's pet rooster?
5. What condition does the author speculate caused Antonina to be bedridden?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Janusz Korczak’s story about an astronomer named Zi who lived on the planet Ro, why did Zi consider destroying Earth?
2. How did the people at the villa feel when they heard about the Ghetto Uprising?
3. Why was Fox Man’s offer of a bookkeeping job so important to Maurycy Fraenkel?
4. Why did Jan and Antonina carry cyanide pills with them?
5. Why were the boys hiding in the Pheasant House confused when Rys introduced himself?
6. Why does Ackerman describe Wicek the rabbit as a “fat, furry thug”?
7. Why do the Poles claim Janusz Korczak as a martyr?
8. What did Antonina write in her journal that the author said was as close as she ever got to writing about being an orphan?
9. What did Feliks Cywinski do periodically to hide the fact that he was rescuing Jews?
10. Why did Jan talk to Rys as though he were a soldier when he confronted the boy about his plan to bomb a haystack?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)