|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Rys find the boys who hid in the Pheasant House surrounded by when he went in to introduce himself?
2. What was the name of Szymon Tenenbaum's wife?
3. What was Maurycy Fraenkel's profession?
4. What was Magdalena Gross's cryptonym?
5. How did Jan say Antonina was able to convince the German soldier of how the fire at the barracks started?
(a) She flirted with the soldier.
(b) She used her skill with difficult animals.
(c) She acted meek so the soldier would not suspect her.
(d) She used her superior intelligence.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is never mentioned in Antonina's memoirs?
2. What job did Antonina give Genia to disguise her while she lived at the zoo?
3. What happened to the littermates of the baby hamster that Jan gave to Rys?
4. What practice did Rabbi Shapira engage in to help himself deal with the suffering in the Ghetto?
5. Which of the following words best describes Magdalena's personality?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Mrs. Walter helping Jews to hide?
2. Why do the Poles claim Janusz Korczak as a martyr?
3. Why was Antonina confined to bed for several months?
4. What nearly ruined Jan’s plan to bring Lonia Tenenbaum out of the Ghetto?
5. Why was Rys the one usually chosen to deliver meals to Guests staying in animal enclosures?
6. In Janusz Korczak’s story about an astronomer named Zi who lived on the planet Ro, why did Zi consider destroying Earth?
7. What reason did Mrs. Dewitzowa give Antonina for sending Magdalena and Maurycy back to the zoo?
8. What did Antonina write in her journal that the author said was as close as she ever got to writing about being an orphan?
9. Why did Jan talk to Rys as though he were a soldier when he confronted the boy about his plan to bomb a haystack?
10. Why was Fox Man’s offer of a bookkeeping job so important to Maurycy Fraenkel?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)