|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following words best describes Magdalena's personality?
2. What is another name for the bottle grenades that Jews in the Ghetto used as a defense against the Germans?
(a) Bottle bomb.
(b) German growler.
(c) Molotov cocktail.
(d) Gasoline grenade.
3. How did Antonina know Regina Kenigswein's father?
(a) He was a groundskeeper at the zoo.
(b) He was Rys's teacher.
(c) He was a friend of Jan's father.
(d) He supplied fruit to the zoo before the war.
4. Who saw Magdalena at the zoo and gossiped about it?
(a) A mail carrier.
(b) A German soldier.
(c) A Polish zoo guard.
(d) The housekeeper.
5. What animal did Magdalena Gross sculpt as a gift for Jan?
(a) An elephant.
(b) A camel.
(c) A bison.
(d) A starling.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the littermates of the baby hamster that Jan gave to Rys?
2. What birthday present did Himmler want to give Hitler in 1943?
3. How was the siege on the Ghetto that was meant to remove or kill the remaining Jews there ended?
4. What was the name of Rys's pet rooster?
5. What was Maurycy Fraenkel's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were the boys hiding in the Pheasant House confused when Rys introduced himself?
2. Why did Jan talk to Rys as though he were a soldier when he confronted the boy about his plan to bomb a haystack?
3. How did Jan’s observations about animal behaviors help him in his Underground work?
4. Why did Antonina consider Fox Man’s cat, Balbina, a good citizen of the villa?
5. How did the people at the villa feel when they heard about the Ghetto Uprising?
6. Why do the Poles claim Janusz Korczak as a martyr?
7. Why was Antonina confined to bed for several months?
8. What nearly ruined Jan’s plan to bring Lonia Tenenbaum out of the Ghetto?
9. Why did the Nazi’s portray Jews with rat-like faces in their propaganda?
10. How did the Kenigsweins smuggle their two young boys out of the Ghetto?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)