|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Szczurcio?
(a) A muskrat.
(b) A rooster.
(c) A pig.
(d) A rabbit.
2. What was Janusz Korczak's real name?
(a) Henryk Goldszmit.
(b) Szymon Tenenbaum.
(c) Maurycy Fraenkel.
(d) Adam Englert.
3. Who is never mentioned in Antonina's memoirs?
(a) Her children.
(d) Her parents.
4. What animal is thought to be the cause of the death of much of Napoleon's army?
5. What caused Rys to be hospitalized in the winter of 1943?
(d) A broken leg.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Antonina about Rys's and his friend's plan to sabotage the Germans?
2. What did Antonina convince the German soldier was the cause of the fire at the barracks on the zoo grounds?
3. What job did Antonina give Genia to disguise her while she lived at the zoo?
4. About how many people did Jan say were rescued through the zoo?
5. Where did Szczurcio hide when he escaped his cage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Rys the one usually chosen to deliver meals to Guests staying in animal enclosures?
2. Why does Ackerman describe Wicek the rabbit as a “fat, furry thug”?
3. Why did Jan and Antonina carry cyanide pills with them?
4. Why did the Nazi’s portray Jews with rat-like faces in their propaganda?
5. How did the Jews respond to Himmler trying to liquidate the remaining Jews in the Ghetto in 1943?
6. Why was Antonina confined to bed for several months?
7. Why did Jan talk to Rys as though he were a soldier when he confronted the boy about his plan to bomb a haystack?
8. Why did Rabbi Shapira think it was important for Jews in the Ghetto to commune with nature?
9. What nearly ruined Jan’s plan to bring Lonia Tenenbaum out of the Ghetto?
10. Why was it difficult for some Jews to change their names in order to go into hiding?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)