|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Jan build an ammunitions dump for the Home Army?
(a) The Pheasant House.
(b) Near the rabbit hutch.
(c) In the basement of the villa.
(d) The elephant enclosure.
2. What happened to Morys?
(a) German soldiers took him away to be butchered.
(b) He was sold to buy food for the Guests.
(c) He was shot during Lutz Heck's shooting party.
(d) He died during the winter because of frigid temperatures.
3. What theory did Lutz Heck reject?
(a) The theory of hybrid vigor.
(b) The theory of ethical treatment of zoo animals.
(c) The theory of enrichment for zoo animals.
(d) The theory of animal psychology.
4. What was Lutz Heck's profession before the war?
(a) He was a veterinarian.
(b) He was a professor at the college Jan attended.
(c) He was the director of the Berlin Zoo.
(d) He was a lawyer.
5. What were the racist laws that governed how much Jewish blood a person could have without being "tainted" called?
(a) The Nuremberg laws.
(b) Hitler's Edicts.
(c) The Himmler laws.
(d) The Aryan laws.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the race of "pure" humans that the Nazis sought to create called?
2. After Antonina heard that the Polish army was going to surrender, who delivered a message to the contrary?
3. What area of the city was directly across the river from the zoo?
4. What animal did Antonina and Rys take to their country home with them?
5. What was Jan's cryptonym?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Germans take children with Aryan features to be raised in Germany?
2. Why did Lutz Heck hold the shooting part at the zoo on New Year’s Eve?
3. Why were the Warsaw Zoo’s polar bears shot by Polish soldiers?
4. What special ability did Antonina have that Jan described as “metaphysical waves”?
5. How does the author describe the sounds of the zoo in the morning before the war?
6. Why did Jan purposely draw attention to himself when he was thanking Ziegler for bringing him to the Ghetto to see Szymon Tenenbaum?
7. Why did Lutz Heck want to re-create the aurochs?
8. What was Lutz Heck’s real plan in taking animals from the Warsaw Zoo?
9. Why did Antonina initially turn down Lutz Heck’s offer of help for the zoo?
10. Why did the Zabinskis frequently invite non-Jewish visitors to the villa?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)