|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Magdalena's profession?
2. Why did Jan and Antonina think Lutz Heck might help them?
(a) He was a trustworthy man.
(b) He was sympathetic to the Jews.
(c) He was a friend of Jan's father.
(d) He was sweet on Antonina.
3. Who was Danglu Leist?
(a) The Polish vice president of Warsaw.
(b) The director of the Berlin Zoo.
(c) The German president of Warsaw.
(d) One of Hitler's top officers.
4. What does Rys mean in Polish?
5. What symbol were Jews forced to wear to identify them as Jews?
(a) A picture of a rat.
(b) The letter J.
(c) A cross.
(d) The star of David.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was one of Lutz Heck's hobbies?
2. How many people were confined to the 20 blocks that constituted the Ghetto?
3. What were the racist laws that governed how much Jewish blood a person could have without being "tainted" called?
4. What was Antonina's father's occupation?
5. What animal did Jan raise at the zoo to feed German soldiers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Zabinskis frequently invite non-Jewish visitors to the villa?
2. How did Dr. Muller help Jan return to Warsaw?
3. What special ability did Antonina have that Jan described as “metaphysical waves”?
4. Why did Jan suggest that the zoo be used to raise pigs?
5. What was unusual about the baby badger that Antonina raised?
6. Why did Antonina compare herself to a lioness when she was staying with her sister-in-law?
7. Why did the Germans take children with Aryan features to be raised in Germany?
8. Why were the Warsaw Zoo’s polar bears shot by Polish soldiers?
9. Why did Jan feel such a strong connection with the Jews?
10. Why did the Resistance use cryptonyms?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)