|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was an entomologist?
(a) Magdalena Gross.
(b) Lutz Heck.
(c) Szymon Tenenbaum.
(d) Maurycy Fraenkel.
2. What element of zoo design did Lutz Heck advocate for?
(a) An open safari-like zoo.
(b) Small animal enclosures.
(c) Barred cages that made it easy for people to view the animals.
(d) Enclosures that resembled the animals' natural habitats.
3. When Antonina ventured outside of the store they were sheltered in, what did she see falling from the sky?
(b) Parachutes attached to supplies for the Germans.
4. How did Jan and Antonina know the German soldier who came to the villa to tell them that Lutz Heck wanted to see them?
(a) He was a classmate of Antonina's.
(b) He was a former employee of the Warsaw Zoo.
(c) He was a classmate of Jan's.
(d) He was a guard at the Berlin Zoo.
5. What event were Jan and Antonina preparing for when the war began?
(a) The sale of the zoo to Germany.
(b) The International Association of Zoo Directors' annual meeting.
(c) A tour of the zoo by important political figures.
(d) National Animal Awareness Day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the people of Warsaw gather in the streets to see after Poland surrendered?
2. What language was illegal to speak in Warsaw during the German occupation?
3. What was the punishment for harboring a Jew?
4. Who was Danglu Leist?
5. What were the race of "pure" humans that the Nazis sought to create called?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was unusual about the baby badger that Antonina raised?
2. What was special about the baby elephant Tuzinka?
3. Why did the Germans take children with Aryan features to be raised in Germany?
4. How did Dr. Muller help Jan return to Warsaw?
5. Why did Lutz Heck want to re-create the aurochs?
6. Why were Antonina’s parents killed when she was nine?
7. Why did the Zabinskis frequently invite non-Jewish visitors to the villa?
8. How does the author describe the sounds of the zoo in the morning before the war?
9. What made Antonina feel hopeful at first when Lutz Heck came to visit the villa?
10. What special ability did Antonina have that Jan described as “metaphysical waves”?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)