|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal did Jan raise at the zoo to feed German soldiers?
2. How did Rys first hear about the impending war?
(a) From his friends while at the country house.
(b) From his teacher.
(c) From Jan when he was leaving to join the Home Army.
(d) From Antonina who explained why they had to leave the zoo.
3. After Antonina heard that the Polish army was going to surrender, who delivered a message to the contrary?
(a) The Polish president.
(c) The mayor of Warsaw.
4. What was the punishment for harboring a Jew?
(a) Public flogging.
(b) An enormous fine.
(c) 20 years in prison.
5. Who did Jan meet while on a daily bicycle tour of the zoo?
(c) Fox Man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who urged the people of Warsaw to accept Poland's surrender peacefully?
2. What happened to Morys?
3. What event were Jan and Antonina preparing for when the war began?
4. Which of the following was one of Lutz Heck's hobbies?
5. What was the name of the rhesus monkey that was stealing babies from other monkeys?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were the Warsaw Zoo’s polar bears shot by Polish soldiers?
2. What special ability did Antonina have that Jan described as “metaphysical waves”?
3. Why did Lutz Heck hold the shooting part at the zoo on New Year’s Eve?
4. Why did Jan purposely draw attention to himself when he was thanking Ziegler for bringing him to the Ghetto to see Szymon Tenenbaum?
5. Why did the Germans take children with Aryan features to be raised in Germany?
6. Why did Lutz Heck want to re-create the aurochs?
7. Why did Antonina initially turn down Lutz Heck’s offer of help for the zoo?
8. Why was Antonina glad Rys was not with her when she travelled back to the country home after visiting Jan in Warsaw?
9. What was special about the baby elephant Tuzinka?
10. Why did the Zabinskis frequently invite non-Jewish visitors to the villa?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)