|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to legend, what did the word Poland sound like in Hebrew that made the Jews want to go there?
(a) Beautiful garden.
(b) Rest here.
2. How old was Antonina when her parents were killed?
3. What name did Jewish women with Aryan-sounding names have to change their names to?
4. What responsibility did Antonina attend to each day at the zoo following her breakfast?
(a) Taught Rys his daily lessons.
(b) Fed the elephants.
(c) Greeted VIP visitors.
(d) Did the laundry.
5. How many calories per day were Jews rationed?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the rhesus monkey that was stealing babies from other monkeys?
2. Which of the following was an entomologist?
3. Who told Antonina that the Polish army was planning to surrender?
4. Who divorced her husband and staged her disappearance because she was Jewish and he was not?
5. What event were Jan and Antonina preparing for when the war began?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Zabinskis frequently invite non-Jewish visitors to the villa?
2. Why did the Resistance use cryptonyms?
3. How does the author describe the sounds of the zoo in the morning before the war?
4. Why did Jan purposely draw attention to himself when he was thanking Ziegler for bringing him to the Ghetto to see Szymon Tenenbaum?
5. Why was Antonina shocked by what Lutz Heck said about Germany’s chances of the war?
6. Why was Antonina glad Rys was not with her when she travelled back to the country home after visiting Jan in Warsaw?
7. Why did Antonina compare herself to a lioness when she was staying with her sister-in-law?
8. Why did Jan feel such a strong connection with the Jews?
9. Why did Lutz Heck hold the shooting part at the zoo on New Year’s Eve?
10. What was unusual about the baby badger that Antonina raised?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)