|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of Szymon Tenenbaum's wife?
2. Who did the Zabinskis fire because they were uncertain of the person's trustworthiness?
(a) Rys's tutor.
(b) A zoo guard.
(c) Fox Man.
(d) The housekeeper.
3. Where is Szymon Tenenbaum's insect collection today?
(a) The Natural History Museum.
(b) It has been destroyed.
(c) The Warsaw Zoo.
(d) The State Zoological Museum.
4. What did Antonina convince the German soldier was the cause of the fire at the barracks on the zoo grounds?
(a) An act of sabotage.
(b) A cigarette left by a German soldier.
(c) An electrical short.
5. What was Maurycy Fraenkel's profession?
6. How did Janina Buchholtz, a member of Zegota, help Jan and Antonina rescue Jews?
(a) She provided false documents for the Jews.
(b) She brought them food.
(c) She gave them money.
(d) She snuck Jews out of the Ghetto disguised as her patients and brought them to the zoo.
7. What condition does the author speculate caused Antonina to be bedridden?
(d) Multiple sclerosis.
8. What was the cryptonym for the Council to Aid the Jews?
9. Why did Magdalena's presence at the villa pose a greater threat to the other Guests?
(a) She was famous.
(b) She often left the villa during the day.
(c) She was prone to taking risks.
(d) She was a gossip.
10. Which of the following words best describes Magdalena's personality?
11. What did Feliks Cywinski say was his happiest moment while rescuing Jews?
(a) The birth of Regina Kenigswein's baby.
(b) Rescuing a toddler from the Ghetto.
(c) The day the Ghetto was reopened.
(d) The end of the war when all of the Jews he was hiding could go free.
12. How did Jan say Antonina was able to convince the German soldier of how the fire at the barracks started?
(a) She flirted with the soldier.
(b) She used her skill with difficult animals.
(c) She used her superior intelligence.
(d) She acted meek so the soldier would not suspect her.
13. What birthday present did Himmler want to give Hitler in 1943?
(a) The liquidation of the rest of the Jews in the Warsaw Ghetto.
(b) The complete destruction of the city of Warsaw.
(c) A European bison.
(d) The death of all the Poles in Warsaw.
14. What were the people at the villa doing when they heard a rustling in the bushes by the window?
(a) Eating dinner.
(c) Cleaning the house.
(d) Listening to Fox Man play the piano.
15. How did Antonina know Regina Kenigswein's father?
(a) He was Rys's teacher.
(b) He was a groundskeeper at the zoo.
(c) He supplied fruit to the zoo before the war.
(d) He was a friend of Jan's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jan give the German president that changed his mind about reopening the Warsaw Zoo?
2. What percentage of the Orthodox community was lost during World War II?
3. What does Punia, the nickname Jan gave Antonina, mean?
4. What did the orphans call Janusz Korczak?
5. What was the name of Rys's pet rooster?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)