|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the villa Guests do to let Jan know they did not like the way he was treating Antonina?
(a) Wrote him a letter.
(b) Talked to him about his behavior.
(c) Gave him the silent treatement.
(d) Locked him out of the villa.
2. What job did Antonina give Genia to disguise her while she lived at the zoo?
3. How did Janina Buchholtz, a member of Zegota, help Jan and Antonina rescue Jews?
(a) She brought them food.
(b) She snuck Jews out of the Ghetto disguised as her patients and brought them to the zoo.
(c) She gave them money.
(d) She provided false documents for the Jews.
4. What word was used to refer to a Jewish hiding place that had been discovered?
5. What did Magdalena compare Antonina to when Jan was praising her for managing the situation with the German soldier during the fire at the barracks?
(a) A chimpanzee.
(b) A mother badger.
(c) A fox.
(d) A lioness.
6. What does Punia, the nickname Jan gave Antonina, mean?
(a) Little Wildcat.
(b) Beloved Wife.
(c) Honking Goose.
7. What did Rys do during the winter days when Jan was at work?
(a) Went to Underground school.
(b) Helped his mother with chores.
(c) Collected scraps to feed the animals.
(d) Waited at the door for him to return.
8. How did the Polish government smuggle money into Poland while they were exiled and based in London?
(a) Through the mail.
(b) With German soldiers who were sympathetic to the Poles.
(c) Strapped to parachutists.
(d) With animals that were sent to the zoo.
9. Which of the following words best describes Magdalena's personality?
10. What caused Rys to be hospitalized in the winter of 1943?
(d) A broken leg.
11. What was the name of Antonina's children's book about lynxes?
(b) A Lynx Tale.
(c) The Wild Lynx.
(d) Tofi and Tufa.
12. Why did Rys tell his mother he knew more about keeping wartime secrets than she did?
(a) Because she was a woman.
(b) Because Jan had told Rys secrets that he had not told Antonina.
(c) Because he was the one who fed the Guests in the animal enclosures.
(d) Because he was smarter than she was.
13. During the third winter of the war, which room was the only one in the villa the Zabinskis were able to heat?
(a) The office.
(b) The kitchen.
(c) The dining room.
(d) The bathroom.
14. What animal did Magdalena Gross sculpt as a gift for Jan?
(a) An elephant.
(b) A camel.
(c) A bison.
(d) A starling.
15. What excuse did Irena Sendler use to gain access to the Ghetto?
(a) Checking for illegal marriages.
(b) Starting a school for the Jewish children.
(c) Setting up a station to deal with infectious diseases.
(d) Running an orphanage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Guest's leaving made Antonina the most sad?
2. What name did the Zabinskis call Witold Wroblewski?
3. Who were the Sables?
4. What medical procedure did Jewish men sometimes have to help them pass as Aryan?
5. What percentage of the Orthodox community was lost during World War II?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)