|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is an aurochs?
(a) A bull.
(b) A horse.
(c) A bison.
(d) A bird.
2. What element of zoo design did Lutz Heck advocate for?
(a) An open safari-like zoo.
(b) Enclosures that resembled the animals' natural habitats.
(c) Small animal enclosures.
(d) Barred cages that made it easy for people to view the animals.
3. Where did Ewa Brzuska (Granny) hide Jews who were on their way to other locations?
(a) In her kitchen.
(b) In her lampshade shop.
(c) In her grocery store.
(d) In her barn.
4. What does Rys mean in Polish?
5. How did Rys first hear about the impending war?
(a) From his friends while at the country house.
(b) From Antonina who explained why they had to leave the zoo.
(c) From his teacher.
(d) From Jan when he was leaving to join the Home Army.
6. What was Lutz Heck's profession before the war?
(a) He was a lawyer.
(b) He was the director of the Berlin Zoo.
(c) He was a veterinarian.
(d) He was a professor at the college Jan attended.
7. What was explorer Ernst Schafer sent to locate?
(a) A pure tarpan.
(b) The Holy Grail.
(c) The Garden of Eden.
(d) The roots of the Aryan race.
8. When Antonina ventured outside of the store they were sheltered in, what did she see falling from the sky?
(b) Parachutes attached to supplies for the Germans.
9. Which animals were the first that a visitor to the zoo would see?
(a) Rhesus monkeys.
10. What skill did Antonina's grandmother send her to school to study?
11. What was Jan collecting in the boxes he placed on shelves in the villa's kitchen?
(a) Fuses for bombs.
(b) Springs for his research instruments.
(d) False documents.
12. After Antonina heard that the Polish army was going to surrender, who delivered a message to the contrary?
(b) The mayor of Warsaw.
(d) The Polish president.
13. What was Antonina's father's occupation?
(a) Railroad engineer.
14. Who divorced her husband and staged her disappearance because she was Jewish and he was not?
(a) Irena Sendler.
(b) Wanda Englert.
(c) Magdalena Gross.
(d) Ewa Brzuska.
15. Who told Antonina that the Polish army was planning to surrender?
(a) Adam Englert.
(b) Maurycy Fraenkel.
(c) Magdalena Gross.
(d) Szymon Tenenbaum.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Polish vice president suggest the zoo be used for?
2. How old was Antonina when her parents were killed?
3. What was the name of the rhesus monkey that was stealing babies from other monkeys?
4. Where did the lynxes that Antonina adopted come from?
5. Who urged the people of Warsaw to accept Poland's surrender peacefully?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)