|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Rys first hear about the impending war?
(a) From Antonina who explained why they had to leave the zoo.
(b) From Jan when he was leaving to join the Home Army.
(c) From his teacher.
(d) From his friends while at the country house.
2. What area of the city was directly across the river from the zoo?
(a) Old Town.
(b) New Berlin.
(c) The Jewish Quarter.
(d) The Polish Marketplace.
3. What did Jan and Antonina do with the dead antelopes, deer, and horses after the initial attack on Warsaw?
(a) Had their meat laced with poison and delivered to the German army.
(b) Buried them in the garden.
(c) Had them butchered and their meat distributed to the hungry.
(d) Left their corpses to rot to deter the German soldiers from moving into the zoo.
4. What were the race of "pure" humans that the Nazis sought to create called?
5. Which of the following is an extinct animal that Lutz Heck hoped to re-create?
(c) Giant sloth.
(d) Saber toothed cat.
6. What theory did Lutz Heck reject?
(a) The theory of animal psychology.
(b) The theory of hybrid vigor.
(c) The theory of enrichment for zoo animals.
(d) The theory of ethical treatment of zoo animals.
7. What was the baby elephant's name?
8. Where did Ewa Brzuska (Granny) hide Jews who were on their way to other locations?
(a) In her kitchen.
(b) In her barn.
(c) In her lampshade shop.
(d) In her grocery store.
9. What did Antonina feed the Guests that she passed off as pheasant?
10. What song did Antonina play on the piano as a warning signal for the Guests?
(a) I'll Be Seeing You.
(b) Go, go, go to Crete!
(c) Beethoven's Symphony Number Nine.
(d) The Star Spangled Banner.
11. What was Jan's cryptonym?
12. What did the director of the slaughterhouse want to turn the zoo into?
(a) A meat processing plant.
(b) A training camp for soldiers.
(c) A horse farm.
(d) A German herbal plant company.
13. What animal frequently followed Jan around the zoo on his daily bicycle tours?
(a) A lynx.
(b) A camel.
(c) An elk.
(d) A baby elephant.
14. When Antonina ventured outside of the store they were sheltered in, what did she see falling from the sky?
(d) Parachutes attached to supplies for the Germans.
15. What animal did Antonina and Rys take to their country home with them?
(a) An otter.
(b) A rabbit.
(c) A baby lion.
(d) A baby badger.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sent fruit and vegetable peelings to the zoo to feed the animals in the fall after Warsaw's surrender?
2. What was the punishment for harboring a Jew?
3. What symbol were Jews forced to wear to identify them as Jews?
4. What did Lutz Heck take from the Warsaw Zoo in addition to valuable animals?
5. What did the Polish vice president suggest the zoo be used for?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)