|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. John’s reason for not taking the narrator away from the summerhouse and frightful bedroom is?
2. What does the narrator say she watches always?
3. Who does the narrator plan on helping while John is away?
4. What does the narrator increasingly like about her bedroom?
5. What is the illness that the narrator is suffering from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What’s illuminating about the conversation between John and the narrator on page 110? What is his tone with her? How does he treat her?
2. How has the major life event that the narrator recently endured affected her mental health?
3. Why does the narrator suggest she’s not getting well because ofthe fact that her husband is a physician? What does this say about their relationship?
4. What is suggested by the narrator’s multiple descriptions of the wallpaper?
5. Why is the narrator afraid of being sent to Weir Mitchell?
6. Besides the ugly wallpaper pattern, what does the narrator think she sees in the wallpaper?
7. Why does it bother the narrator that she cannot read or write while recuperating?
8. How does the narrator describe the wallpaper in the middle of the story?
9. Who does the narrator want to help save the woman in the wallpaper?
10. Why doesn’t the narrator cry in front of Jennie or John?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The narrator describes the wallpaper many times. What does the repetition in description suggest?
Essay Topic 2
How does the narrator change throughout the story? What moments in the story are indicative of a change?
Essay Topic 3
The narrator has been prescribed strict rest, which prohibits her from reading or writing. Why does she choose to do so anyway? Why does writing bring her comfort?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)