|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the climax of the story, who does the narrator think that she has become?
2. Who does the narrator say is her one comfort?
3. What does John force the narrator to do after every meal?
4. Who does the narrator become afraid of?
5. How much time passes before the narration continues after it suddenly stopped in the first section?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Weir Mitchell?
2. What does the fact that the narrator says John “pretended to be living and kind” suggest about the narrator’s condition?
3. What description is horrifying about the wallpaper?
4. Why have the narrator and her husband rented the summer house?
5. How is the narrator similar to the figure she sees in the paper?
6. Why is the narrator glad that she is in the nursery and not the baby?
7. Why does it bother the narrator that she cannot read or write while recuperating?
8. Why doesn’t the narrator want to go outside near the climax of the story?
9. What does the narrator’s husband and brother prescribe to her for her condition?
10. Why doesn’t the narrator cry in front of Jennie or John?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the story, John’s names for the narrator become more and more patronizing and child-like. Was the narrator becoming more childlike in her actions, or was John just being patronizing? What effect does this have on the narrator?
Essay Topic 2
The narrator states that she will not jump out of the window lest it be misconstrued. Why is she more concerned about her reputation rather than the fact that if she jumped out the window she would be severely injured or killed? What does this suggest?
Essay Topic 3
The narrator has been prescribed strict rest, which prohibits her from reading or writing. Why does she choose to do so anyway? Why does writing bring her comfort?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)