|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the opening pages, what does the narrator’s husband not believe?
2. What does the moonlight illuminate on the wallpaper?
3. The narrator believes that the wallpaper has a ________.
4. Where does the narrator spend most of her time in the country house?
5. What does John force the narrator to do after every meal?
Short Essay Questions
1. The narrator says that she watches the paper always. What does this increasing obsession suggest about the narrator?
2. How does the narrator initially explain her condition?
3. How is the narrator similar to the figure she sees in the paper?
4. What does this quote suggest: “It is so pleasant to be out in this great room and creep around as I please.”
5. What does the narrator say “exhausts” her?
6. Why does the narrator think her husband was able to rent the summer house at such short notice?
7. What’s illuminating about the conversation between John and the narrator on page 110? What is his tone with her? How does he treat her?
8. At what point does this short story hit its climax?
9. What does John do when he sees the narrator creeping around the room?
10. Why does the narrator say John “pretended to be loving and kind”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the story the narrator becomes increasingly interested by the perceived woman in the wallpaper. How is the narrator symbolically similar to the woman she describes in the wallpaper?
Essay Topic 2
The narrator describes the wallpaper many times. What does the repetition in description suggest?
Essay Topic 3
As the story progresses, the narrator acts more and more like a child. What actions support this statement? How do others treat her differently as the she changes?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)