|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator believe cultivates deceit?
2. In the last paragraph, what does the narrator do?
3. The narrator believes that the wallpaper has a ________.
4. When the narrator makes the plan to get off the wallpaper before John notices, how long do they have left at the house?
5. The narrator follows what/whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why have the narrator and her husband rented the summer house?
2. What description is horrifying about the wallpaper?
3. What does the woman in the wallpaper do to shake the pattern?
4. Who does the narrator believe she has become by the end of the story?
5. Why doesn’t the narrator want others to touch the wallpaper?
6. What does the narrator’s husband and brother prescribe to her for her condition?
7. What doesn’t the narrator mind about the nursery at first?
8. The narrator believes the wallpaper has an odor. How does she describe the odor?
9. How does the narrator initially explain her condition?
10. What does this quote suggest: “It is so pleasant to be out in this great room and creep around as I please.”
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Scan the text for dialogue that occurs between the narrator and John. How does the talk to her? What names does her call her? What does this suggest?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the narrator remain unnamed in the story? What does this symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
The narrator describes the wallpaper many times. What does the repetition in description suggest?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)