|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of figure does the narrator believe she sees in the pattern?
2. Where does the narrator spend most of her time in the country house?
3. What does the narrator say she watches always?
4. Who comes to the door when the narrator is creeping along the wall?
5. Why can’t the figure in the pattern escape?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does John call the narrator in the middle of the night? And why?
2. What does the narrator’s husband and brother prescribe to her for her condition?
3. The narrator considers burning the house down to “reach the smell.” What does this say about her condition?
4. Who does the narrator believe she has become by the end of the story?
5. How is the narrator similar to the figure she sees in the paper?
6. Why does the narrator feel bad for the woman in the wallpaper?
7. Why doesn’t the narrator cry in front of Jennie or John?
8. Why have the narrator and her husband rented the summer house?
9. Why does John refuse to repaper the nursery after initially agreeing?
10. What description is horrifying about the wallpaper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often, the narrator mentions that the nursery is more like an insane asylum rather than a nursery. What physical descriptions support this idea?
Essay Topic 2
The narrator describes the wallpaper many times. What does the repetition in description suggest?
Essay Topic 3
Describe John’s character. Does he change? Is John a round or flat character? Static or dynamic?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)