|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can’t the figure in the pattern escape?
(a) She doesn’t really want to escape
(b) She needs the narrator to help her
(c) The pattern would strangle her
(d) She can’t find her way out
2. What does the narrator think John is looking at when he is in the room?
(a) The nailed-down bed
(b) The wallpaper
(c) The view out the window
(d) The bars on the window
3. Why does the unnamed protagonist believe that she and her husband were able to rent the mansion for the summer?
(a) They were evicted from their city home
(b) Because her husband needs to visit for work
(c) They received an inheritance
(d) Because it is haunted
4. Where does the narrator spend most of her time in the country house?
(a) The nursery
(b) The baby’s room
(c) The back porch
(d) Walking along the garden pathways
5. Who does the narrator plan on helping while John is away?
(a) The woman in the wallpaper
(b) Her infant
Short Answer Questions
1. John threatens to send the narrator to whom?
2. The narrator describes the wallpaper having a recurrent spot where the pattern lolls like a broken neck and _____________
3. Where doesn’t the narrator want to go at the end of the story?
4. The story covers the span of what season?
5. Who does the narrator say is her one comfort?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does John call the narrator in the middle of the night? And why?
2. Why does the narrator consider jumping out the window?
3. What does what John calls the narrator in the middle of the nightsuggest about their relationship?
4. Why have the narrator and her husband rented the summer house?
5. Why doesn’t the narrator want others to touch the wallpaper?
6. What does the narrator say “exhausts” her?
7. Why does the narrator think her husband was able to rent the summer house at such short notice?
8. The narrator believes the wallpaper has an odor. How does she describe the odor?
9. The narrator briefly considers jumping out the window. Why does she decide against it?
10. What is the wallpaper’s odor a metaphor for?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)