|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. John’s reason for not taking the narrator away from the summerhouse and frightful bedroom is?
(a) The baby is ill and cannot travel
(b) He believes that if she stays she’ll get better
(c) Their lease is up in three weeks
(d) He wants to live there permanently
2. What holiday passes while the family is staying at the country house?
(b) Fourth of July
(d) New Year’s Eve
3. What does the narrator think that the figure in the wallpaper is trying to do?
(a) Fight the wallpaper pattern
(b) Eat dinner
4. In the first section, why does the protagonist’s narration suddenly end?
(a) She falls asleep
(b) She is out of paper
(c) Her husband is coming
(d) She has nothing else to say
5. What does the narrator throw down into the garden path?
(a) The rope
(b) The shreds of wallpaper
(c) The key to the room
(d) A knife
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator describes the wallpaper having a recurrent spot where the pattern lolls like a broken neck and _____________
2. Who is the author of The Yellow Wallpaper?
3. The narrator believes that the wallpaper has a(n) _________.
4. Who does the narrator say is her one comfort?
5. John calls the narrator back to bed by calling her this name:
Short Essay Questions
1. What does John’s action after seeing his wife creeping around the room suggest about John?
2. Who does the narrator believe she has become by the end of the story?
3. The narrator believes the wallpaper has an odor. How does she describe the odor?
4. Why does the narrator consider jumping out the window?
5. What major life event has the narrator just endured?
6. What is the “smooch” on the wall?
7. Why is the narrator afraid of being sent to Weir Mitchell?
8. How does the narrator initially explain her condition?
9. Why does John refuse to repaper the nursery after initially agreeing?
10. What is suggested by the narrator’s multiple descriptions of the wallpaper?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)