|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what genre would this story be categorized?
(a) A novel
(b) A personal essay
(c) An article
(d) A novella
2. The narrator believes that the wallpaper has a ________.
(b) Present for her
(c) Secret message
(d) Beautiful pattern
3. Where does the narrator’s husband take her at the beginning of the story?
(a) On a carriage ride
(c) A wellness spa in Biarritz
(d) A country house for the summer
4. Why does the narrator stop looking out the windows?
(a) She sees lots of creeping women
(b) She doesn’t want John to see her
(c) She’s afraid she’ll jump out
(d) It is making her feel dizzy
5. What does the narrator say it looks like the bed has been through?
(a) Neglectful housekeeping
(d) Many fitful children
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the wallpaper’s smell?
2. What does the narrator stop mentioning to John and Jennie?
3. Who comes to the door when the narrator is creeping along the wall?
4. Fill in the blank: The narrator is so angry at the climax of the story that she wants to ___________.
5. Fill in the blanks respectively: I _________ at nothing, and ________most of the time.
Short Essay Questions
1. The narrator briefly considers jumping out the window. Why does she decide against it?
2. What’s illuminating about the conversation between John and the narrator on page 110? What is his tone with her? How does he treat her?
3. Why does the narrator abruptly end her narration in the first few pages?
4. What does John do when he sees the narrator creeping around the room?
5. What does the narrator’s husband and brother prescribe to her for her condition?
6. Who does the narrator believe she has become by the end of the story?
7. What description is horrifying about the wallpaper?
8. Why does the narrator think her husband was able to rent the summer house at such short notice?
9. Why does John refuse to repaper the nursery after initially agreeing?
10. How does the narrator initially describe the wallpaper?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)