|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does John ask to give a report about the narrator’s wellbeing?
(b) Weir Mitchell
(d) The narrator
2. John thinks the narrator is getting _________ when he talks to her in the night.
(a) The same, and she needs additional time to rest
(b) He does not express his opinion regarding the state of her health
(c) Better, saying that her appetite has returned and her flesh is gaining color
(d) Worse, he’s sending her away to Weir Mitchell
3. In the first section, why does the protagonist’s narration suddenly end?
(a) She falls asleep
(b) Her husband is coming
(c) She is out of paper
(d) She has nothing else to say
4. Who does the narrator plan on helping while John is away?
(a) Her infant
(c) The woman in the wallpaper
5. At the climax of the story, who does the narrator think that she has become?
(b) The woman in the wallpaper
Short Answer Questions
1. The protagonist is narrating her what?
2. Fill in the blanks respectively: I _________ at nothing, and ________most of the time.
3. What figure becomes very clear in moonlight, clearer than before: “plain as can be.”
4. How much time passes before the narration continues after it suddenly stopped in the first section?
5. The narrator believes that the wallpaper has a ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator initially describe the wallpaper?
2. What’s illuminating about the conversation between John and the narrator on page 110? What is his tone with her? How does he treat her?
3. At what point does this short story hit its climax?
4. What major life event has the narrator just endured?
5. Why have the narrator and her husband rented the summer house?
6. What does John do when he sees the narrator creeping around the room?
7. What does the fact that the narrator says John “pretended to be living and kind” suggest about the narrator’s condition?
8. How does the narrator describe the countryside?
9. Why doesn’t the narrator want others to touch the wallpaper?
10. Why does the narrator seem jealous when she catches first John, and then Jennie, looking at the wallpaper?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)