|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the climax of the story, who does the narrator think that she has become?
(b) The woman in the wallpaper
2. What is nailed down in the narrator’s room?
(a) The reading chair
(b) The bed
(c) The desk
(d) The rug
3. In what point of view is the story written?
(b) Third, omniscient
(c) Third, limited
4. Why won’t John let the narrator go on her desired visit?
(a) He believes that she hasn’t the strength
(b) It is too costly to travel
(c) He doesn’t think it will be good if she leaves the baby
(d) He believes it isn’t necessary
5. Whom does the narrator want to visit?
(a) Her sister Jane and husband
(b) Her mother and Father
(c) Her dog, Jasper, at the city house
(d) Her cousin Henry and Julia
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator initially want to do with a rope?
2. Why does the unnamed protagonist believe that she and her husband were able to rent the mansion for the summer?
3. Why does the narrator believe that the figure in the wallpaper is inactive during the day?
4. John thinks the narrator is getting _________ when he talks to her in the night.
5. What is the illness that the narrator is suffering from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does John’s action after seeing his wife creeping around the room suggest about John?
2. Why have the narrator and her husband rented the summer house?
3. What does this quote suggest: “It is so pleasant to be out in this great room and creep around as I please.”
4. What does the narrator say “exhausts” her?
5. What does John do when he sees the narrator creeping around the room?
6. Why doesn’t the narrator cry in front of Jennie or John?
7. What is the “smooch” on the wall?
8. The narrator believes the wallpaper has an odor. How does she describe the odor?
9. Why is the narrator glad that she is in the nursery and not the baby?
10. Why does the narrator abruptly end her narration in the first few pages?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)