|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the “report” that was given?
2. What does the narrator increasingly like about her bedroom?
(a) The bed
(b) The desk at which she writes
(c) The view of the gardens
(d) The wallpaper
3. Fill in the blank: The narrator is so angry at the climax of the story that she wants to ___________.
(b) Jump out the window
(d) Kill John
4. Where does the narrator’s husband take her at the beginning of the story?
(a) A wellness spa in Biarritz
(c) On a carriage ride
(d) A country house for the summer
5. Why won’t John let the narrator go on her desired visit?
(a) He doesn’t think it will be good if she leaves the baby
(b) It is too costly to travel
(c) He believes it isn’t necessary
(d) He believes that she hasn’t the strength
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the narrator say the wallpaper becomes clearer?
2. What year was this story published?
3. What does the narrator stop mentioning to John and Jennie?
4. In her fury, what does the narrator bite?
5. What does John cry for to break down the door?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Weir Mitchell?
2. Besides the ugly wallpaper pattern, what does the narrator think she sees in the wallpaper?
3. Why does the narrator consider jumping out the window?
4. How does the narrator say John feels about intangible things?
5. Why does the narrator say John “pretended to be loving and kind”?
6. Why does the narrator feel bad for the woman in the wallpaper?
7. How has the major life event that the narrator recently endured affected her mental health?
8. What are some indications that the narrator is, in fact, not getting better?
9. What does the narrator say “exhausts” her?
10. What major life event has the narrator just endured?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)