|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Fill in the blanks respectively: I _________ at nothing, and ________most of the time.
(a) Laugh, cry
(b) Laugh, laugh
(c) Cry, laugh
(d) Cry, cry
2. What does the narrator increasingly like about her bedroom?
(a) The bed
(b) The wallpaper
(c) The desk at which she writes
(d) The view of the gardens
3. When the narrator makes the plan to get off the wallpaper before John notices, how long do they have left at the house?
(a) Two months
(b) Two days
(c) Two weeks
(d) Two years
4. Who does the narrator plan on helping while John is away?
(b) Her infant
(d) The woman in the wallpaper
5. In her fury, what does the narrator bite?
(a) The windowsill
(b) The bed
(c) The wallpaper
(d) The rope
6. Who does the narrator want to help the woman in the wallpaper?
7. How long is John gone for toward the end of the story?
(a) One hour
(b) One week
(c) One month
(d) One night
8. What does John force the narrator to do after every meal?
(b) Walk through the garden
(c) Drink coffee
(d) Take a nap
9. What does John promise the narrator?
(a) Another baby
(b) New books
(c) A new home
(d) A little trip
10. What does the narrator “securely fasten” herself with?
(a) Restrictive clothing
(b) The drapery
(c) The bed sheets
(d) A rope
11. Whose perspective is the story being told from?
(c) The unnamed protagonist’s
12. Fill in the blank: As she is peeling the wallpaper off, she thinks that the pattern of heads and bulbous eyes are “shrieking with _________”?
13. The narrator gets up in the middle of the night to do what?
(a) Feed her baby
(b) Feel if the wallpaper is moving
(c) Get a drink of water
(d) Run away
14. What does the narrator try - but fails – to move?
(a) The lamp
(b) The bed
(c) The desk
(d) The chair
15. What is the profession of the narrator’s husband?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator initially want to do with a rope?
2. At the climax of the story, who does the narrator think that she has become?
3. Where doesn’t the narrator want to go at the end of the story?
4. In the first section, why does the protagonist’s narration suddenly end?
5. Who is the author of The Yellow Wallpaper?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)