|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator initially want to do with a rope?
(a) Use it to move the bed from the wall
(b) Use it to hang the woman
(c) Use it to tie up the woman if she tries to escape
(d) Use it to escape out the window
2. How much time passes before the narration continues after it suddenly stopped in the first section?
(a) Two weeks
(b) One Month
(c) Three days
(d) Two months
3. What year was this story published?
4. When does the narrator think the woman in the wallpaper gets out?
(a) During the nighttime
(b) During the daytime
(c) When she is hungry
(d) When she is tired
5. Fill in the blanks respectively: I _________ at nothing, and ________most of the time.
(a) Cry, laugh
(b) Laugh, cry
(c) Laugh, laugh
(d) Cry, cry
6. Who does John ask to give a report about the narrator’s wellbeing?
(b) Weir Mitchell
(c) The narrator
7. What is nailed down in the narrator’s room?
(a) The desk
(b) The bed
(c) The reading chair
(d) The rug
8. What does the narrator think John is looking at when he is in the room?
(a) The bars on the window
(b) The nailed-down bed
(c) The wallpaper
(d) The view out the window
9. John calls the narrator back to bed by calling her this name:
(c) Honey Darling
(d) Little girl
10. What is torn off in patches in the country house?
(a) The garden-shed roof
(b) The wallpaper
(c) The curtains
(d) The wooden floor
11. John threatens to send the narrator to whom?
(a) William Overtell
(b) Wallis Simpson
(c) Weir Mitchell
(d) Walter West
12. Who comes to the door when the narrator is creeping along the wall?
(a) Weir Mitchell
13. The narrator describes the wallpaper having a recurrent spot where the pattern lolls like a broken neck and _____________
(a) a scabrous mouth opens again and again, as if screaming
(b) two bulbous eyes stare at you upside down
(c) an eyeless face sneers at you
(d) it scares me
14. What does the narrator believe cultivates deceit?
(a) Writing in her journal
(b) Watching the wallpaper
(c) Eating sweets when no one is looking
(d) Lying awake during the sanctioned naptimes
15. Who carries the narrator upstairs to her room?
(a) The groundskeeper
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the narrator say the wallpaper becomes clearer?
2. What is the illness that the narrator is suffering from?
3. Who faints at the end of the story?
4. Who does the narrator say is her one comfort?
5. What does John make the narrator drink as a cure?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)