|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the climax of the story, who does the narrator think that she has become?
(b) The woman in the wallpaper
2. What does the narrator think that the figure in the wallpaper is trying to do?
(a) Fight the wallpaper pattern
(c) Eat dinner
3. Who comes to the door when the narrator is creeping along the wall?
(b) Weir Mitchell
4. The narrator believes that the wallpaper has a ________.
(a) Present for her
(b) Secret message
(d) Beautiful pattern
5. John’s reason for not taking the narrator away from the summerhouse and frightful bedroom is?
(a) Their lease is up in three weeks
(b) He believes that if she stays she’ll get better
(c) He wants to live there permanently
(d) The baby is ill and cannot travel
6. What does John force the narrator to do after every meal?
(a) Drink coffee
(b) Walk through the garden
(c) Take a nap
7. What is the profession of the narrator’s husband?
8. What does the narrator say she watches always?
(a) The television
(b) The window
(c) The wallpaper
(d) The baby
9. When does the narrator say the wallpaper becomes clearer?
(a) In the evening
(b) In the moonlight
(c) In the afternoon
(d) In the morning
10. The narrator describes the wallpaper having a recurrent spot where the pattern lolls like a broken neck and _____________
(a) a scabrous mouth opens again and again, as if screaming
(b) two bulbous eyes stare at you upside down
(c) it scares me
(d) an eyeless face sneers at you
11. When does the narrator think the woman in the wallpaper gets out?
(a) When she is hungry
(b) When she is tired
(c) During the daytime
(d) During the nighttime
12. Who does the narrator become afraid of?
(b) The baby
13. Where does John go toward the end of the story?
(a) To town
(b) To work
(c) To visit family
(d) To the sea
14. Where does her shoulder “just” fit?
(a) Out the window
(b) In the hole in the wall
(c) In a nook in the corner
(d) In the long smooch along the wall
15. What color stains does Jennie find on their clothing?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is nailed down in the narrator’s room?
2. Who does the narrator plan on helping while John is away?
3. Where does the narrator plan to go at nightfall, describing that it will be difficult to do?
4. Who faints at the end of the story?
5. What does the narrator try - but fails – to move?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)