|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does the narrator think the woman in the wallpaper gets out?
(a) During the nighttime
(b) When she is hungry
(c) During the daytime
(d) When she is tired
2. What does the narrator think about doing to the house “to reach the smell”?
(a) Re-paint the house
(b) Burn the house down
(c) Wash all of the surfaces with ammonia
(d) Re-furnishing the house
3. What does the moonlight illuminate on the wallpaper?
(a) Roast beef
4. The narrator follows what/whom?
(a) The wallpaper’s pattern around the room
(b) John around the gardens
(c) Her son around the house
(d) A horse in the field
5. The narrator gets up in the middle of the night to do what?
(a) Run away
(b) Feed her baby
(c) Get a drink of water
(d) Feel if the wallpaper is moving
6. What figure becomes very clear in moonlight, clearer than before: “plain as can be.”
(a) An infant
(b) A man
(c) A woman
(d) A child
7. Where doesn’t the narrator want to go at the end of the story?
(a) To the nursery
(d) To the kitchen
8. Whom does the narrator want to visit?
(a) Her cousin Henry and Julia
(b) Her dog, Jasper, at the city house
(c) Her sister Jane and husband
(d) Her mother and Father
9. Who does John ask to give a report about the narrator’s wellbeing?
(a) The narrator
(c) Weir Mitchell
10. At the climax of the story, who does the narrator think that she has become?
(d) The woman in the wallpaper
11. The story covers the span of what season?
12. John advices the narrator to not allow the what to run away with her?
(b) Her hunger
(c) Her fancies
(d) Her motherly love
13. In the first section, why does the protagonist’s narration suddenly end?
(a) She falls asleep
(b) She has nothing else to say
(c) She is out of paper
(d) Her husband is coming
14. What is the profession of the narrator’s husband?
15. Fill in the blank: As she is peeling the wallpaper off, she thinks that the pattern of heads and bulbous eyes are “shrieking with _________”?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the housekeeper?
2. What is the narrator’s husband’s name?
3. Why won’t John let the narrator go on her desired visit?
4. What color stains does Jennie find on their clothing?
5. What does John cry for to break down the door?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)