|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Fill in the blank: The narrator is so angry at the climax of the story that she wants to ___________.
(b) Jump out the window
(d) Kill John
2. What does the narrator do while John is gone?
(a) Jumps out the window
(b) Shreds the sheets
(c) Peels the wallpaper
(d) Runs away
3. What does the narrator think that the figure in the wallpaper is trying to do?
(b) Fight the wallpaper pattern
(c) Eat dinner
4. Where does the narrator plan to go at nightfall, describing that it will be difficult to do?
(a) Into the wallpaper
(b) Home to her apartment in the country
(c) The nursery
(d) The garden
5. Fill in the blank: As she is peeling the wallpaper off, she thinks that the pattern of heads and bulbous eyes are “shrieking with _________”?
6. The narrator begs John to _______:
(b) Go shopping
(c) Cuddle with her
(d) Bring the baby to her
7. In what genre would this story be categorized?
(a) A novel
(b) A novella
(c) A personal essay
(d) An article
8. The narrator describes the wallpaper having a recurrent spot where the pattern lolls like a broken neck and _____________
(a) two bulbous eyes stare at you upside down
(b) it scares me
(c) a scabrous mouth opens again and again, as if screaming
(d) an eyeless face sneers at you
9. What does the narrator believe cultivates deceit?
(a) Watching the wallpaper
(b) Lying awake during the sanctioned naptimes
(c) Eating sweets when no one is looking
(d) Writing in her journal
10. How long is John gone for toward the end of the story?
(a) One night
(b) One month
(c) One hour
(d) One week
11. When does the narrator think the woman in the wallpaper gets out?
(a) When she is tired
(b) During the nighttime
(c) When she is hungry
(d) During the daytime
12. At the climax of the story, who does the narrator think that she has become?
(c) The woman in the wallpaper
13. What does John cry for to break down the door?
(a) An axe
(b) A butcher knife
(c) A fire poker
(d) A sledgehammer
14. Why can’t the figure in the pattern escape?
(a) The pattern would strangle her
(b) She doesn’t really want to escape
(c) She can’t find her way out
(d) She needs the narrator to help her
15. What does the narrator increasingly like about her bedroom?
(a) The bed
(b) The desk at which she writes
(c) The view of the gardens
(d) The wallpaper
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of The Yellow Wallpaper?
2. John calls the narrator back to bed by calling her this name:
3. Why won’t John let the narrator go on her desired visit?
4. What does John force the narrator to do after every meal?
5. What does the narrator throw down into the garden path?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)