|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. John calls the narrator back to bed by calling her this name:
(a) Little girl
(c) Honey Darling
2. What does the narrator say she watches always?
(a) The window
(b) The wallpaper
(c) The baby
(d) The television
3. How does the narrator describe the wallpaper’s smell?
(a) A yellow smell
(b) A sweet smell
(c) A black smell
(d) A sour smell
4. Who does the narrator think she sees creeping outside her windows?
(b) The woman in the wallpaper
5. What does Jennie not realize that the narrator has?
(a) A chain
(c) A rope
(d) A knife
6. What is the illness that the narrator is suffering from?
(b) Post-partum depression
(c) Bi-polar disorder
(d) Severe loneliness
7. Who does the narrator want to help the woman in the wallpaper?
8. Why does the narrator believe that the figure in the wallpaper is inactive during the day?
(a) She is sleeping
(b) She is distracted by the wallpaper
(c) She is scared
(d) She is eating
9. What does the narrator say it looks like the bed has been through?
(b) Many fitful children
(c) Neglectful housekeeping
10. What does the narrator try - but fails – to move?
(a) The desk
(b) The chair
(c) The bed
(d) The lamp
11. Who does the narrator say is her one comfort?
(d) The baby
12. Why won’t John let the narrator go on her desired visit?
(a) He doesn’t think it will be good if she leaves the baby
(b) It is too costly to travel
(c) He believes that she hasn’t the strength
(d) He believes it isn’t necessary
13. Why does the narrator stop looking out the windows?
(a) She’s afraid she’ll jump out
(b) It is making her feel dizzy
(c) She sees lots of creeping women
(d) She doesn’t want John to see her
14. Who does John ask to give a report about the narrator’s wellbeing?
(c) Weir Mitchell
(d) The narrator
15. Which room does the narrator’s husband choose for her room?
(a) The parlor
(b) The nursery
(c) A screened-in porch
(d) A guest apartment suite
Short Answer Questions
1. In what point of view is the story written?
2. John threatens to send the narrator to whom?
3. The narrator believes that the wallpaper has a(n) _________.
4. Where does the narrator plan to go at nightfall, describing that it will be difficult to do?
5. What does the narrator stop mentioning to John and Jennie?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)