|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What figure becomes very clear in moonlight, clearer than before: “plain as can be.”
(a) A woman
(b) An infant
(c) A child
(d) A man
2. What does the narrator think about doing to the house “to reach the smell”?
(a) Re-furnishing the house
(b) Wash all of the surfaces with ammonia
(c) Burn the house down
(d) Re-paint the house
3. What does the narrator say she watches always?
(a) The baby
(b) The television
(c) The wallpaper
(d) The window
4. What color stains does Jennie find on their clothing?
5. Where does her shoulder “just” fit?
(a) In the long smooch along the wall
(b) Out the window
(c) In the hole in the wall
(d) In a nook in the corner
6. The narrator begs John to _______:
(a) Bring the baby to her
(c) Go shopping
(d) Cuddle with her
7. What does the narrator think John is looking at when he is in the room?
(a) The view out the window
(b) The bars on the window
(c) The nailed-down bed
(d) The wallpaper
8. John advices the narrator to not allow the what to run away with her?
(b) Her hunger
(c) Her fancies
(d) Her motherly love
9. Who faints at the end of the story?
(a) The narrator
(b) Weir Mitchell
10. Who is the author of The Yellow Wallpaper?
(a) Charlotte Perkins Gilman
(b) Jane Austen
(c) Barbara Kingsolver
(d) Emily Bronte
11. Who does the narrator say is her one comfort?
(a) The baby
12. What does the narrator think is happening to the wallpaper pattern at night?
(a) It is talking to her
(b) It is shaking
(c) It is peeling itself off of the wall
(d) It is humming
13. The narrator follows what/whom?
(a) John around the gardens
(b) The wallpaper’s pattern around the room
(c) Her son around the house
(d) A horse in the field
14. Who does John ask to give a report about the narrator’s wellbeing?
(b) The narrator
(d) Weir Mitchell
15. What does the moonlight illuminate on the wallpaper?
(d) Roast beef
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the profession of the narrator’s husband?
2. The narrator describes the wallpaper having a recurrent spot where the pattern lolls like a broken neck and _____________
3. Who does the narrator want to help the woman in the wallpaper?
4. In the first section, why does the protagonist’s narration suddenly end?
5. Why does the unnamed protagonist believe that she and her husband were able to rent the mansion for the summer?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)