|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the narrator spend most of her time in the country house?
(a) The nursery
(b) The baby’s room
(c) The back porch
(d) Walking along the garden pathways
2. What figure becomes very clear in moonlight, clearer than before: “plain as can be.”
(a) A man
(b) A child
(c) An infant
(d) A woman
3. Which room does the narrator’s husband choose for her room?
(a) The parlor
(b) The nursery
(c) A guest apartment suite
(d) A screened-in porch
4. Why can’t the door to the nursery be opened?
(a) It is locked and there is no key
(b) The handle is broken
(c) It is stuck
(d) The narrator has the key and will not unlock it.
5. Who does the narrator think she sees creeping outside her windows?
(c) The woman in the wallpaper
6. The narrator believes that the wallpaper has a(n) _________.
(a) A feeling
(b) A stain
(c) An odor
(d) An alibi
7. When does the narrator say the wallpaper becomes clearer?
(a) In the afternoon
(b) In the evening
(c) In the moonlight
(d) In the morning
8. Who does the narrator become afraid of?
(a) The baby
9. What does the narrator believe cultivates deceit?
(a) Watching the wallpaper
(b) Lying awake during the sanctioned naptimes
(c) Writing in her journal
(d) Eating sweets when no one is looking
10. What does John cry for to break down the door?
(a) A fire poker
(b) A butcher knife
(c) An axe
(d) A sledgehammer
11. The protagonist is narrating her what?
(a) Letter to her mother
(b) Article for a woman’s magazine
(c) Letter to her physician
12. The narrator follows what/whom?
(a) Her son around the house
(b) John around the gardens
(c) A horse in the field
(d) The wallpaper’s pattern around the room
13. Whom does the narrator want to visit?
(a) Her sister Jane and husband
(b) Her mother and Father
(c) Her cousin Henry and Julia
(d) Her dog, Jasper, at the city house
14. John calls the narrator back to bed by calling her this name:
(b) Little girl
(d) Honey Darling
15. Who does the narrator plan on helping while John is away?
(a) Her infant
(b) The woman in the wallpaper
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John make the narrator drink as a cure?
2. John’s reason for not taking the narrator away from the summerhouse and frightful bedroom is?
3. What is the narrator’s husband’s name?
4. The narrator gets up in the middle of the night to do what?
5. What does John force the narrator to do after every meal?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)