|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to a fast naval vessel of the late 18th and early 19th centuries, generally having a lofty ship rig and heavily armed on one or two decks?
2. What sound do Jack and Stephen overhear during dinner on deck in Chapter 9?
3. Stephen and Jack discuss the war's end and how there will be what in the navy in Chapter 8?
4. Jack receives a letter from Sophie saying that she has proof of his infidelity with whom in Chapter 6?
5. What phrase means to assert a claim, as to a territory or stretch of water, by military presence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the actions of Sophie and Diana in Chapter 3. Why do the women choose to not notify Jack immediately of his orders? Whose idea is it to hide the orders? What result may these actions cause?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the end of the war and the different options Jack and Stephen face for employment. Why does Stephen hope to take Jack to the Chileans? What comes of it?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the friendship between Stephen and Jack in the narrative. What information do each of the men share with one another which might be considered dangerous? How does this illustrate the trust each man has in the other?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)