|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Captain of the Berenice?
2. Who won't be attending the fight on Wednesday since he will be attending a committee meeting in Chapter 3?
3. Aubrey tells Maturin that inclosure involves a great deal of what in Chapter 3?
4. Who does Stephen ask to hear stories about from the officers?
5. Stephen Maturin is a member of what society?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Admiral Stranraer say to Stephen regarding the inclosure policy in Chapter 4?
2. What discussion arises of Mr. Inigo Bernard in Chapter 5? Where does Stephen go in the end of the chapter?
3. What indication is alluded that Stephen is working for intelligence in Chapter 4?
4. What stories does Stephen ask to hear of from the officers in Chapter 5? What does this say of his nature?
5. What conversation does Stephen have with Sir Blaine regarding Jack in Chapter 7?
6. What series is The Yellow Admiral a part of? What criticism and commentary has been written about the novel?
7. What reprimand did Admiral Stranraer give to Jack in Chapter 4? Why does the admiral ask to speak to Stephen?
8. What happens after the burglary at Sir Blaine's residence in Chapter 8? Where does Stephen go next?
9. What do Jack and Stephen overhear while having dinner on deck in Chapter 9? What does this mean to Jack?
10. Why does Jack say he was late to Admiral Stranraer in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between Sophie and Diana in the narrative. How are the Maturins and the Aubreys related? How long have Sophie and Diana known one another? How close are they?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the organization and structure of the Royal Navy during the period of the Napoleonic Wars. At what level of command is Jack Aubrey? Who is his superior? What ceremony is involved in the transfer of ships in the text and how realistic is this to history?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Napoleonic Wars between France and England from 1803 to 1815. How were the battles of the war distributed between land and sea? What were the politics of each nation like during the time? How does this setting inform The Yellow Admiral?
This section contains 1,454 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)