|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Stephen's fortune seized in Chapter 2?
2. What refers to the act of appropriating land, especially common land, by putting a hedge or other barrier around it?
3. Captain Dundas and who arrive on Thursday at the Aubreys' estate?
4. Where was the Duke of Habachtsthal's money embargoed after he killed himself?
5. Stephen inspects whose wounds from the boxing match aboard the ship in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jack learn of Stephen's whereabouts after the Bellona's repairs in Chapter 7?
2. What happens to the Bellona once the war has ended in Chapter 10? When does the ship reach land?
3. Where do Jack and Stephen go after leaving the inn in Chapter 4? What stranger do they encounter there?
4. Where are Jack Aubrey and his wife when the author first reveals them in the novel? What is their financial situation like?
5. Describe the fight in Chapter 3. Who wins the match? Who is there?
6. Where does the Bellona rest after the battle in Chapter 5? What is Jack's next plan?
7. Where do Jack and Stephen go after disembarking the Bellona in Chapter 10? What is their plan for employment?
8. What does Diana reveal to Stephen about their finances in Chapter 8? What is Stephen's response?
9. What are the states of the Ramillies and the Bellona in Chapter 8? How are the crews faring?
10. What does the schoolmaster teach his students on board the Bellona in Chapter 6? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the covert nature of Stephen Maturin's work within the Royal Navy. How did Stephen Maturin come to his position as the Spanish adviser? What clues are laid in the text to define Stephen as an intelligence officer?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Sophie and Diana in the narrative. How are the Maturins and the Aubreys related? How long have Sophie and Diana known one another? How close are they?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the death of Geoghegan in Chapter 5. What symbolism and imagery is used in this depiction? How does Geoghegan's death reflect the themes of the novel?
This section contains 1,426 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)