|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The children find Jack and Stephen to inform them of what in Chapter 2?
2. Where is the fight in Chapter 3 held?
3. Stephen Maturin is a member of what society?
4. Captain Dundas and who arrive on Thursday at the Aubreys' estate?
5. What do Jack and the other officers discuss over dinner in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jack say he was late to Admiral Stranraer in Chapter 4?
2. What does the schoolmaster teach his students on board the Bellona in Chapter 6? Why?
3. What similarities do Jack and Stephen share? How are these revealed in Chapter 2?
4. What efforts does Diana take to resolve the problems between Sophie and Jack in Chapter 8?
5. What conversation takes place between Sir Blaine and Stephen regarding Don Diego in Chapter 7? What information does Stephen provide?
6. What musical entertainment do the men enjoy after battle in Chapter 5? What takes Jack away?
7. What happens after the burglary at Sir Blaine's residence in Chapter 8? Where does Stephen go next?
8. Who is the first character revealed in Chapter 1? Who comes to visit him and what do they discuss?
9. What does Jack say about the inclosure laws to Stephen in Chapter 2? What is inclosure?
10. What happens at the meeting with the Chileans in Chapter 10? What will Jack's job be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character Stephen Maturin. How old is Maturin? How is his daughter disabled? How long has he been friends with the protagonist? What role does he serve in the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the end of the war and the different options Jack and Stephen face for employment. Why does Stephen hope to take Jack to the Chileans? What comes of it?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the battle stories shared by the officers and crew aboard the Bellona. What do these stories add to the tone of the narrative? What information do the stories reveal?
This section contains 1,495 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)