|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the Maturins going to stay with until they straighten out their finances and buy their own house in Chapter 1?
(a) The Aubreys.
(b) Captain William Fanshawe.
(c) Sir Joseph Blaine.
(d) Stephen Maturin.
2. What area located in England is where the Aubreys live?
3. Who are the injured men of battle carried to in Chapter 5?
4. What sport do Jack and Stephen engage in in Chapter 2?
5. Who is the First Lieutenant on the Bellona?
(a) Mr. Miller.
(b) Mr. Callaghan.
(c) Mr. Geoghegan.
(d) Mr. Whewell.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is going to Ireland and is leaving the horse and carriage with the Aubreys in Chapter 2?
2. The man who gives Jack and Stephen directions for an inn in Chapter 4 notes that it is not good for a man in what to be recognized?
3. The inclosures discussed by Jack and Stephen in Chapter 1 serve the purpose to increase the supply of what?
4. Stephen inspects whose wounds from the boxing match aboard the ship in Chapter 4?
5. Where does Jack explain he had been when the orders arrived to come to the ship in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conversation does Stephen have with Sir Blaine regarding Jack in Chapter 7?
2. What happens after the burglary at Sir Blaine's residence in Chapter 8? Where does Stephen go next?
3. What happens at the meeting with the Chileans in Chapter 10? What will Jack's job be?
4. What series is The Yellow Admiral a part of? What criticism and commentary has been written about the novel?
5. Where do Jack and Stephen go in Chapter 2 after Stephen's arrival? What is discussed of their financial problems?
6. What takes place after Admiral Stranraer's arrival in Chapter 9?
7. What stories does Stephen ask to hear of from the officers in Chapter 5? What does this say of his nature?
8. Why does Jack say he was late to Admiral Stranraer in Chapter 4?
9. What reprimand did Admiral Stranraer give to Jack in Chapter 4? Why does the admiral ask to speak to Stephen?
10. When does Jack plan to depart in the Surprise in Chapter 10? Who has he met to discuss his departure?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)