|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would John and Joan pass as they drove and began to argue when they lived at Portuguese Bend?
2. Where did Joe Black grow up?
3. What year was it when John and Joan were at a red light and saw the driver suddenly slump over his steering wheel?
4. When did a study done by University of Californ San Diego and Tufts show that there was a 4.65 percent increase in cardiac death?
5. Who wrote a book about her husband's death that Joan despised?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did John and Joan have trouble selling their house in Malibu?
2. Where did John and Joan meet the Blacks?
3. How did Joan wear rings and why?
4. What comments about their wedding day did Joan find that John had written in 1990?
5. What little things could Joan do for Quintana when she was at Rusk Institute?
6. After reading the autopsy report, what did Joan finally begin to believe?
7. Why did Joan use to tell John her dreams.
8. Describe the dream about the braided belt and what it meant to Joan.
9. What was the sequence of events the night that John died?
10. What was John's last birthday present to Joan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the overall mood of the book and give examples of the change in mood from the beginning of the novel to the end.
Essay Topic 2
At times, Joan did not believe that she was operating from her rational mind. Discuss why Joan said that she was not operating from her rational mind and what helped her think more rationally.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast why some people have difficulty authorizing autopsies and why Joan did not struggle with approving an autopsy. Give examples of Joan's experience from the book.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)