|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was John's editor at "The New Yorker"?
2. What year did John graduate from college?
3. What type of fish were in the pond at Rusk Institute?
4. During the years that John and Joan were married, how much time did they not spend working at home?
5. Who said that self-pity is "our worst enemy"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What thoughts were running through Joan's mind as she flew from Logan airport to LaGuardia after leaving the Democratic convention?
2. What arrangements were made to transfer Quintana from UCLA to New York University Hospital in New York?
3. What did Joan argue about with a doctor after Quintana had been intubated for almost a week?
4. Over the years, what would Dominique do with Quintana?
5. Did Joan believe that wild things feel loss?
6. Why was Joan startled when she checked her piece of writing that she wrote after John died?
7. How would Quintana spend weekends when she was at Rusk Institute?
8. What comments about their wedding day did Joan find that John had written in 1990?
9. Describe the dream about the braided belt and what it meant to Joan.
10. Why did John and Joan have trouble selling their house in Malibu?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point, Joan compared the way she interacted with the doctors and hospital staff to the way a sheep dog herds sheep. Discuss why Joan's relationship with Quintana's doctors and hospital staff was similar to the way that a dog herds sheep and how that affected her relationship with the doctors and hospital staff.
Essay Topic 2
When Quintana was transferred to the Rusk Institute, Joan said that she was able to mourn and not merely grieve. Compare grief and mourning, using examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Joan linked memories to the effect of a vortex. Discuss "the vortex effect" and how it affected Joan. Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)