|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where did Joan order her ham for the holidays in 2004?
2. By what plant in the box garden did John or Joan place Quintana in her bassinet when they first brought her home?
3. What time did the Emergency Medical Services receive the call to come to John's and Joan's apartment?
4. Where did John and Joan meet Joe and Gertrude Black?
5. What year was it when John and Joan were at a red light and saw the driver suddenly slump over his steering wheel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would John and Joan do after the 1992 Democratic convention?
2. What arrangements were made to transfer Quintana from UCLA to New York University Hospital in New York?
3. What thoughts were running through Joan's mind as she flew from Logan airport to LaGuardia after leaving the Democratic convention?
4. What was John's last birthday present to Joan?
5. After reading the autopsy report, what did Joan finally begin to believe?
6. What did Joan do in the summer when she began feeling fragile and unstable?
7. How did Joan wear rings and why?
8. Over the years, what would Dominique do with Quintana?
9. Why did Quintana refer to her memory as "mudgy"?
10. What comments about their wedding day did Joan find that John had written in 1990?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the overall mood of the book and give examples of the change in mood from the beginning of the novel to the end.
Essay Topic 2
During the summer, Joan began to feel fragile and unstable. Discuss why Joan felt fragile and unstable and how she coped with these feelings, giving quotes from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
All her life, Joan turned to literature in times of trouble and John's death was no different. Compare the different types of literature that Joan read to help her cope with her grief and why some were more helpful than others. Give specific titles and examples from the book in support of your discussion.
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)