|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money did John and Joan put down as a deposit on the house in Brentwood Park?
2. Where was the male patient from who lay to the left of Quintana's bed at UCLA?
3. In Chapter 13, what was the name of the character in the excerpt Joan quoted from a novel she wrote in the mid-1990's?
4. How was the man to the right of Quintana's bed at UCLA injured?
5. When the air ambulance that was to transport Quintana had mechanical difficulties, where did it land?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why wouldn't the funeral be the worst thing that a grieving person had to experience?
2. What was John's last birthday present to Joan?
3. After reading the autopsy report, what did Joan finally begin to believe?
4. Where did John and Joan meet the Blacks?
5. What did it mean that post-mortem lividity was present in John's body?
6. How would Quintana spend weekends when she was at Rusk Institute?
7. What were some things that John said that Joan should or should not do if something happened to him?
8. What did Joan do in the summer when she began feeling fragile and unstable?
9. What arrangements were made to transfer Quintana from UCLA to New York University Hospital in New York?
10. What would John and Joan do after the 1992 Democratic convention?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The way that Joan initially reacted to her husband's death was different from how she reacted in the weeks and months that followed. Compare how Joan initially reacted to her husband's death to how she reacted in the weeks and months that followed. Give examples and quotes from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Joan was troubled that everything had been so ordinary the night John died. Discuss what the ordinary had to do with sudden death or disaster. Give examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the overall mood of the book and give examples of the change in mood from the beginning of the novel to the end.
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)