|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the 2004 Republican convention held?
2. What type of a dog did Joan and John have in 1987?
3. Who wrote a book about her husband's death that Joan despised?
4. Prior to working at "The New Yorker," where did John's editor work?
5. What book did Julia Child have inscribed to give to John?
Short Essay Questions
1. Some people think that their deceased loved one can be seen or heard. Did Joan believe that she could see or hear John?
2. What book did Joan receive from Princeton late in the summer?
3. What was the sequence of events the night that John died?
4. Why did Joan find herself in tears when she was walking to the opening of the Democratic convention?
5. Describe the dream about the braided belt and what it meant to Joan.
6. What thoughts were running through Joan's mind as she flew from Logan airport to LaGuardia after leaving the Democratic convention?
7. Over the years, what would Dominique do with Quintana?
8. Why did Joan use to tell John her dreams.
9. After reading the autopsy report, what did Joan finally begin to believe?
10. What did it mean that post-mortem lividity was present in John's body?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast why some people have difficulty authorizing autopsies and why Joan did not struggle with approving an autopsy. Give examples of Joan's experience from the book.
Essay Topic 2
When Quintana was in the ICU at UCLA, Joan whispered a promise to her, the same promise Joan had been making since Quintana was a child. Discuss the promise that Joan always made to Quintana. Why it was a promise that she could not keep?
Essay Topic 3
All her life, Joan turned to literature in times of trouble and John's death was no different. Compare the different types of literature that Joan read to help her cope with her grief and why some were more helpful than others. Give specific titles and examples from the book in support of your discussion.
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)