|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the male patient from who lay to the left of Quintana's bed at UCLA?
2. What book did John place at the top of the pile of books near his reading chair?
3. Who was John's editor at "The New Yorker"?
4. How did Dominique die?
5. Prior to working at "The New Yorker," where did John's editor work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some things that John said that Joan should or should not do if something happened to him?
2. Over the years, what would Dominique do with Quintana?
3. What did Joan do in the summer when she began feeling fragile and unstable?
4. Why did Joan resist the tracheostomy so fiercely?
5. Describe the dream about the braided belt and what it meant to Joan.
6. What was John's last birthday present to Joan?
7. How would Quintana spend weekends when she was at Rusk Institute?
8. Where did John and Joan meet the Blacks?
9. What did it mean that post-mortem lividity was present in John's body?
10. What little things could Joan do for Quintana when she was at Rusk Institute?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Argue whether friends and family told the details of John's death or whether Joan told everyone. Use examples from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
From the time Joan was a child, she thought a great deal about meaninglessness. Discuss how Joan found meaning in her life, giving examples and quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 3
When Joan went to UCLA to be with Quintana, she expected that Los Angeles would be the place most likely to trigger the vortex effect. Discuss why Los Angeles was the place most likely to trigger the vortex effect and how Joan avoided triggering this effect.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)