|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the years that John and Joan were married, how much time did they not spend working at home?
2. What church was across the street from Joan's and John's apartment?
3. Which of Joan's novels had a passage about dreams?
4. What book did Julia Child have inscribed to give to John?
5. How old was Nick's daughter, Dominique, when she was in John and Joan's wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Joan wear rings and why?
2. What little things could Joan do for Quintana when she was at Rusk Institute?
3. Why did it take so long for Joan to receive a copy of John's autopsy?
4. Why did Joan find herself in tears when she was walking to the opening of the Democratic convention?
5. Why did Quintana refer to her memory as "mudgy"?
6. Some people think that their deceased loved one can be seen or heard. Did Joan believe that she could see or hear John?
7. What did Joan argue about with a doctor after Quintana had been intubated for almost a week?
8. After reading the autopsy report, what did Joan finally begin to believe?
9. Why did John and Joan have trouble selling their house in Malibu?
10. What did Joan do in the summer when she began feeling fragile and unstable?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joan linked memories to the effect of a vortex. Discuss "the vortex effect" and how it affected Joan. Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
The way that Joan initially reacted to her husband's death was different from how she reacted in the weeks and months that followed. Compare how Joan initially reacted to her husband's death to how she reacted in the weeks and months that followed. Give examples and quotes from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Compare how death was regarded before and after the 1930's with when Joan was growing up.
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)