|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What medication was given to John at the apartment three times while paramedics worked on him?
2. Who wrote, "Time is the school in which we learn"?
3. What type of a tree did Joan drape colored Christmas lights on in Chapter 20?
4. How old was Nick's daughter, Dominique, when she was in John and Joan's wedding?
5. According to Quintana, what sandwich did she and Joan share when the plane that was transporting them to New York stopped to refuel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the sequence of events the night that John died?
2. What comments about their wedding day did Joan find that John had written in 1990?
3. What did Joan argue about with a doctor after Quintana had been intubated for almost a week?
4. Why wouldn't the funeral be the worst thing that a grieving person had to experience?
5. Why did it take so long for Joan to receive a copy of John's autopsy?
6. How would Quintana spend weekends when she was at Rusk Institute?
7. What book did Joan receive from Princeton late in the summer?
8. What thoughts were running through Joan's mind as she flew from Logan airport to LaGuardia after leaving the Democratic convention?
9. Over the years, what would Dominique do with Quintana?
10. What did Joan do in the summer when she began feeling fragile and unstable?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Argue whether friends and family told the details of John's death or whether Joan told everyone. Use examples from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
John insisted on a trip to Paris in November because he believed if he didn't go then, he would never see Paris before he died. Discuss why John believed that he was dying.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the overall mood of the book and give examples of the change in mood from the beginning of the novel to the end.
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)