|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the last time that John saved a computer file "AAA Random Thoughts"?
2. Where did John and Joan meet Joe and Gertrude Black?
3. According to Quintana, what sandwich did she and Joan share when the plane that was transporting them to New York stopped to refuel?
4. Who asked Joan if she wanted to cover the Democratic and Republic summer conventions?
5. What type of a tree did Joan drape colored Christmas lights on in Chapter 20?
Short Essay Questions
1. What little things could Joan do for Quintana when she was at Rusk Institute?
2. Why did Joan resist the tracheostomy so fiercely?
3. After reading the autopsy report, what did Joan finally begin to believe?
4. What comments about their wedding day did Joan find that John had written in 1990?
5. How did Joan wear rings and why?
6. Over the years, what would Dominique do with Quintana?
7. What arrangements were made to transfer Quintana from UCLA to New York University Hospital in New York?
8. Why was Joan startled when she checked her piece of writing that she wrote after John died?
9. Why did it take so long for Joan to receive a copy of John's autopsy?
10. What thoughts were running through Joan's mind as she flew from Logan airport to LaGuardia after leaving the Democratic convention?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Quintana was transferred to the Rusk Institute, Joan said that she was able to mourn and not merely grieve. Compare grief and mourning, using examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
At one point, Joan compared the way she interacted with the doctors and hospital staff to the way a sheep dog herds sheep. Discuss why Joan's relationship with Quintana's doctors and hospital staff was similar to the way that a dog herds sheep and how that affected her relationship with the doctors and hospital staff.
Essay Topic 3
All her life, Joan turned to literature in times of trouble and John's death was no different. Compare the different types of literature that Joan read to help her cope with her grief and why some were more helpful than others. Give specific titles and examples from the book in support of your discussion.
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)