|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Joan woke up at 3:30 one morning, what channel was the television set to?
2. How was the man to the right of Quintana's bed at UCLA injured?
3. What year did John graduate from college?
4. How old was Joan when the bomb was dropped on Hiroshima?
5. By what plant in the box garden did John or Joan place Quintana in her bassinet when they first brought her home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the dream about the braided belt and what it meant to Joan.
2. What book did Joan receive from Princeton late in the summer?
3. Why did Joan use to tell John her dreams.
4. Where did John and Joan meet the Blacks?
5. What did Joan do in the summer when she began feeling fragile and unstable?
6. What comments about their wedding day did Joan find that John had written in 1990?
7. Over the years, what would Dominique do with Quintana?
8. After reading the autopsy report, what did Joan finally begin to believe?
9. Why did Joan find herself in tears when she was walking to the opening of the Democratic convention?
10. What were some things that John said that Joan should or should not do if something happened to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Quintana was in the ICU at UCLA, Joan whispered a promise to her, the same promise Joan had been making since Quintana was a child. Discuss the promise that Joan always made to Quintana. Why it was a promise that she could not keep?
Essay Topic 2
During the summer, Joan began to feel fragile and unstable. Discuss why Joan felt fragile and unstable and how she coped with these feelings, giving quotes from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
The way that Joan initially reacted to her husband's death was different from how she reacted in the weeks and months that followed. Compare how Joan initially reacted to her husband's death to how she reacted in the weeks and months that followed. Give examples and quotes from the book to support your statements.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)