|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where did Joan order her ham for the holidays in 2004?
2. Who wrote, "Time is the school in which we learn"?
3. Which of Euripedes' plays did Joan feel that she must reread?
4. When was Quintana allowed to fly back to New York?
5. When Joan awakened at 3:30 one morning, who was being interviewed on TV?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did John and Joan meet the Blacks?
2. What arrangements were made to transfer Quintana from UCLA to New York University Hospital in New York?
3. What would John and Joan do after the 1992 Democratic convention?
4. What did Joan do in the summer when she began feeling fragile and unstable?
5. What thoughts were running through Joan's mind as she flew from Logan airport to LaGuardia after leaving the Democratic convention?
6. Describe the dream about the braided belt and what it meant to Joan.
7. Why did Joan find herself in tears when she was walking to the opening of the Democratic convention?
8. What book did Joan receive from Princeton late in the summer?
9. What comments about their wedding day did Joan find that John had written in 1990?
10. How would Quintana spend weekends when she was at Rusk Institute?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joan linked memories to the effect of a vortex. Discuss "the vortex effect" and how it affected Joan. Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Argue whether friends and family told the details of John's death or whether Joan told everyone. Use examples from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
When Quintana was transferred to the Rusk Institute, Joan said that she was able to mourn and not merely grieve. Compare grief and mourning, using examples from the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)