|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state did the plane that was transporting Quintana land to refuel?
2. When did Quintana get a tracheotomy at UCLA?
3. When did the Democratic convention begin?
4. What type of a dog did Joan and John have in 1987?
5. What medication was given to John at the apartment three times while paramedics worked on him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Joan do in the summer when she began feeling fragile and unstable?
2. Describe the dream about the braided belt and what it meant to Joan.
3. Why did Quintana refer to her memory as "mudgy"?
4. What book did Joan receive from Princeton late in the summer?
5. What arrangements were made to transfer Quintana from UCLA to New York University Hospital in New York?
6. Where did John and Joan meet the Blacks?
7. What did Joan argue about with a doctor after Quintana had been intubated for almost a week?
8. What thoughts were running through Joan's mind as she flew from Logan airport to LaGuardia after leaving the Democratic convention?
9. How did Joan wear rings and why?
10. Why was Joan startled when she checked her piece of writing that she wrote after John died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Joan went to UCLA to be with Quintana, she expected that Los Angeles would be the place most likely to trigger the vortex effect. Discuss why Los Angeles was the place most likely to trigger the vortex effect and how Joan avoided triggering this effect.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the overall mood of the book and give examples of the change in mood from the beginning of the novel to the end.
Essay Topic 3
After trying to cover the Democratic convention, Joan believed that there was no place she could go and not be reminded of John. Discuss her statement and provide examples from the book.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)