|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a dream, what did Joan dream that she was hanging in a closet?
2. Where was the 2004 Democratic convention held?
3. In Chapter 13, what was the name of the character in the excerpt Joan quoted from a novel she wrote in the mid-1990's?
4. According to Quintana, what sandwich did she and Joan share when the plane that was transporting them to New York stopped to refuel?
5. What months did Quintana spend at the Rusk Institute?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Joan use to tell John her dreams.
2. Why did John and Joan have trouble selling their house in Malibu?
3. How would Quintana spend weekends when she was at Rusk Institute?
4. What little things could Joan do for Quintana when she was at Rusk Institute?
5. Why wouldn't the funeral be the worst thing that a grieving person had to experience?
6. Why did Quintana refer to her memory as "mudgy"?
7. What book did Joan receive from Princeton late in the summer?
8. Why was Joan startled when she checked her piece of writing that she wrote after John died?
9. What were some things that John said that Joan should or should not do if something happened to him?
10. After reading the autopsy report, what did Joan finally begin to believe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Joan flew to Los Angeles to be with Quintana, she knew that Los Angeles had the potential for triggering the vortex effect. Discuss why Los Angeles was the most likely place to trigger the vortex effect and how Joan avoided triggering this effect when in the city. Define the vortext effect and use s
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the overall mood of the book and give examples of the change in mood from the beginning of the novel to the end.
Essay Topic 3
When Quintana was in the ICU at UCLA, Joan whispered a promise to her, the same promise Joan had been making since Quintana was a child. Discuss the promise that Joan always made to Quintana. Why it was a promise that she could not keep?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)