|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who said that the act of grieving "Involves grave departures from the normal attitude to life"?
2. When Quintana was in the ICU at UCLA, what program did Joan listen to on the radio?
3. What type of clothing did Joan buy to wear in Los Angeles?
4. Where did John take Quintana so Joan could finish her first column for "Life"?
5. What was the press rate for a lanai suite at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel when Joan began working for "Life"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe John's funeral.
2. What advice about attending funerals did Joan read that was written by Emily Post in her 1922 book of etiquette?
3. Why on most surface levels did Joan seem rational?
4. During her reading, what did Joan learn were some means that were used to test a patient's memory and comprehension?
5. What did John look like when Joan saw him in the emergency room?
6. What happened when Gerry and Quintana arrived in California?
7. What one object did Sara Mankiewicz remove from her house when John and Joan rented it and why?
8. How did friends and relatives help Joan in the first three weeks after John died?
9. How did Joan describe people who recently lost someone?
10. What did John do before he and Joan ate dinner the night of December 30?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Quintana was in the ICU at UCLA, Joan whispered a promise to her, the same promise Joan had been making since Quintana was a child. Discuss the promise that Joan always made to Quintana. Why it was a promise that she could not keep?
Essay Topic 2
At times, Joan did not believe that she was operating from her rational mind. Discuss why Joan said that she was not operating from her rational mind and what helped her think more rationally.
Essay Topic 3
Joan was troubled that everything had been so ordinary the night John died. Discuss what the ordinary had to do with sudden death or disaster. Give examples from the book to support your statements.
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)