|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did John and Joan visit the Miami-Dade Medical Examiner's office?
2. How old was Joan's mother when she was near death?
3. On what floor of the hospital was the ICU located where Quintana was a patient when John died?
4. What illness sent Quintana to the emergency room in December 2003?
5. What type of clothing did Joan buy to wear in Los Angeles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Joan find herself in tears when she was walking to the opening of the Democratic convention?
2. How did friends and relatives help Joan in the first three weeks after John died?
3. What did Melanie Klein say about grief?
4. How did Joan wear rings and why?
5. During her reading, what did Joan learn were some means that were used to test a patient's memory and comprehension?
6. What comments about their wedding day did Joan find that John had written in 1990?
7. How did John, Joan, Gerry and Quintana spend Thanksgiving 2003?
8. Why did John and Joan have trouble selling their house in Malibu?
9. What little things could Joan do for Quintana when she was at Rusk Institute?
10. Why did Joan use to tell John her dreams.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Quintana was transferred to the Rusk Institute, Joan said that she was able to mourn and not merely grieve. Compare grief and mourning, using examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast why some people have difficulty authorizing autopsies and why Joan did not struggle with approving an autopsy. Give examples of Joan's experience from the book.
Essay Topic 3
At times, Joan did not believe that she was operating from her rational mind. Discuss why Joan said that she was not operating from her rational mind and what helped her think more rationally.
This section contains 1,477 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)