|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When were the 2004 Academy Awards held?
2. Who was the elevator man who amused himself with John in the elevator with a small verbal game?
3. What was Joan watching when she first noticed the vortex effect?
4. What did Quintana wear to her wedding?
5. When did an author write "Mourning and Melancholia"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did John look like when Joan saw him in the emergency room?
2. How did Joan, Gerry and Tony plan to tell Quintana that her father died?
3. What did John do before he and Joan ate dinner the night of December 30?
4. During her reading, what did Joan learn were some means that were used to test a patient's memory and comprehension?
5. How did friends and relatives help Joan in the first three weeks after John died?
6. What did Melanie Klein say about grief?
7. How did John, Joan, Gerry and Quintana spend Thanksgiving 2003?
8. What did Freud say about grief?
9. Why on most surface levels did Joan seem rational?
10. Describe John's funeral.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Quintana was in the ICU at UCLA, Joan whispered a promise to her, the same promise Joan had been making since Quintana was a child. Discuss the promise that Joan always made to Quintana. Why it was a promise that she could not keep?
Essay Topic 2
When Quintana was transferred to the Rusk Institute, Joan said that she was able to mourn and not merely grieve. Compare grief and mourning, using examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Joan was troubled that everything had been so ordinary the night John died. Discuss what the ordinary had to do with sudden death or disaster. Give examples from the book to support your statements.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)