|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Teresa Heinz Kerry's first husband died, where did she feel a need to go?
2. What was Joan watching when she first noticed the vortex effect?
3. What was the date when Quintana was told her father died?
4. When was Quintana discharged from Beth Israel?
5. Who was Quintana's best friend from California?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did John, Joan, Gerry and Quintana spend Thanksgiving 2003?
2. What expensive drug was Quintana given when she developed sepsis?
3. What did John do before he and Joan ate dinner the night of December 30?
4. Why did a woman that Joan worked with at "Vogue" have an abortion that was paid for by the attorney general's office?
5. Where did Joan and John walk together during their morning walks?
6. Why was Quintanna, Joan's and John's daughter in the hospital, when her father died?
7. How did friends and relatives help Joan in the first three weeks after John died?
8. What were the first words that Joan wrote after her husband's death?
9. What was Joan's first column like that she wrote for "Life"?
10. What incidents indicated that Joan was not thinking clearly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Quintana was transferred to the Rusk Institute, Joan said that she was able to mourn and not merely grieve. Compare grief and mourning, using examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Compare how death was regarded before and after the 1930's with when Joan was growing up.
Essay Topic 3
When Quintana was in the ICU at UCLA, Joan whispered a promise to her, the same promise Joan had been making since Quintana was a child. Discuss the promise that Joan always made to Quintana. Why it was a promise that she could not keep?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)