|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Quintana was a patient at Beth Israel Medical Center's Singer Division, when did that hospital close?
2. When did Joan interview Teresa Heinz Kerry?
3. How many people attended John and Joan's wedding?
4. After Teresa Heinz Kerry's first husband died, where did she feel a need to go?
5. When Quintana was in the ICU at UCLA, what program did Joan listen to on the radio?
Short Essay Questions
1. What one object did Sara Mankiewicz remove from her house when John and Joan rented it and why?
2. What did John look like when Joan saw him in the emergency room?
3. Why was Quintanna, Joan's and John's daughter in the hospital, when her father died?
4. Why were Joan and John evicted from their house on the Palos Verdes Peninsula?
5. How did John, Joan, Gerry and Quintana spend Thanksgiving 2003?
6. Why on most surface levels did Joan seem rational?
7. Describe John's funeral.
8. What did Melanie Klein say about grief?
9. What were the first words that Joan wrote after her husband's death?
10. What promise did Joan make to Quintana that she realized that she would not be able to keep and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the overall mood of the book and give examples of the change in mood from the beginning of the novel to the end.
Essay Topic 2
John insisted on a trip to Paris in November because he believed if he didn't go then, he would never see Paris before he died. Discuss why John believed that he was dying.
Essay Topic 3
Joan was troubled that everything had been so ordinary the night John died. Discuss what the ordinary had to do with sudden death or disaster. Give examples from the book to support your statements.
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)