|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did John and Joan visit the Miami-Dade Medical Examiner's office?
2. What was the date on the computer file that contained the first few lines that Joan wrote after her husband's death?
3. What did Joan wear to her wedding?
4. On what floor of the hospital was the ICU located where Quintana was a patient when John died?
5. What was the date of John's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. What one object did Sara Mankiewicz remove from her house when John and Joan rented it and why?
2. What did Melanie Klein say about grief?
3. How did Joan, Gerry and Tony plan to tell Quintana that her father died?
4. What was Joan's first column like that she wrote for "Life"?
5. Why did a woman that Joan worked with at "Vogue" have an abortion that was paid for by the attorney general's office?
6. What were the first words that Joan wrote after her husband's death?
7. How did John, Joan, Gerry and Quintana spend Thanksgiving 2003?
8. What happened when Gerry and Quintana arrived in California?
9. Why did Joan write "The Year of Magical Thinking"?
10. What did John do before he and Joan ate dinner the night of December 30?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point, Joan compared the way she interacted with the doctors and hospital staff to the way a sheep dog herds sheep. Discuss why Joan's relationship with Quintana's doctors and hospital staff was similar to the way that a dog herds sheep and how that affected her relationship with the doctors and hospital staff.
Essay Topic 2
During the summer, Joan began to feel fragile and unstable. Discuss why Joan felt fragile and unstable and how she coped with these feelings, giving quotes from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Compare how death was regarded before and after the 1930's with when Joan was growing up.
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)