|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In her reading, what did Joan learn was the mortality rate for those who had fixed and dilated pupils?
2. When did John die?
3. When was Quintana discharged from Beth Israel?
4. Which of Joan's novels used an incident about a woman whose abortion was paid for by the district attorney's office?
5. After John's death, which of John's novels did Joan realize was about grief?
Short Essay Questions
1. What promise did Joan make to Quintana that she realized that she would not be able to keep and why?
2. What did Joan first think when she looked up and saw John slumped over, motionless at dinner?
3. What one object did Sara Mankiewicz remove from her house when John and Joan rented it and why?
4. What were the first words that Joan wrote after her husband's death?
5. How did friends and relatives help Joan in the first three weeks after John died?
6. What did John look like when Joan saw him in the emergency room?
7. Why was Quintanna, Joan's and John's daughter in the hospital, when her father died?
8. How did Joan describe people who recently lost someone?
9. What was Joan's first column like that she wrote for "Life"?
10. What happened when Gerry and Quintana arrived in California?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After trying to cover the Democratic convention, Joan believed that there was no place she could go and not be reminded of John. Discuss her statement and provide examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
When Quintana was in the ICU at UCLA, Joan whispered a promise to her, the same promise Joan had been making since Quintana was a child. Discuss the promise that Joan always made to Quintana. Why it was a promise that she could not keep?
Essay Topic 3
The way that Joan initially reacted to her husband's death was different from how she reacted in the weeks and months that followed. Compare how Joan initially reacted to her husband's death to how she reacted in the weeks and months that followed. Give examples and quotes from the book to support your statements.
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)