|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which drug company manufactured the drug that Quintana was given to treat sepsis?
2. What Matthew Arnold poem did Joan mention reading in Chapter 4?
3. How many times did Joan have to repeat the story of how John died to Quintana?
4. What poet did John's brother Nick read at the funeral?
5. What color were John's eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What one object did Sara Mankiewicz remove from her house when John and Joan rented it and why?
2. What did John look like when Joan saw him in the emergency room?
3. Why was Quintanna, Joan's and John's daughter in the hospital, when her father died?
4. Where did Joan and John walk together during their morning walks?
5. What did Freud say about grief?
6. What promise did Joan make to Quintana that she realized that she would not be able to keep and why?
7. Who came to stay with Joan in the weeks that followed John's death?
8. What was Joan's first column like that she wrote for "Life"?
9. How did friends and relatives help Joan in the first three weeks after John died?
10. What happened when Gerry and Quintana arrived in California?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From the time Joan was a child, she thought a great deal about meaninglessness. Discuss how Joan found meaning in her life, giving examples and quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 2
At times, Joan did not believe that she was operating from her rational mind. Discuss why Joan said that she was not operating from her rational mind and what helped her think more rationally.
Essay Topic 3
After trying to cover the Democratic convention, Joan believed that there was no place she could go and not be reminded of John. Discuss her statement and provide examples from the book.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)