|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old were Joan and her brother when her mother was dying?
2. What was the date of John and Joan's wedding?
3. When John's funeral took place, how many months had it been since Quintana's wedding?
4. When did Joan first notice what she called the "vortex" effect?
5. How old was Joan's mother when she was near death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would John and Joan do after the 1992 Democratic convention?
2. Why did it take so long for Joan to receive a copy of John's autopsy?
3. What was John's last birthday present to Joan?
4. What were the first words that Joan wrote after her husband's death?
5. Why was Joan startled when she checked her piece of writing that she wrote after John died?
6. Why did John and Joan have trouble selling their house in Malibu?
7. What was Joan's first column like that she wrote for "Life"?
8. Why was Quintanna, Joan's and John's daughter in the hospital, when her father died?
9. What advice about attending funerals did Joan read that was written by Emily Post in her 1922 book of etiquette?
10. Why did a woman that Joan worked with at "Vogue" have an abortion that was paid for by the attorney general's office?
Essay Topic 1
When Joan flew to Los Angeles to be with Quintana, she knew that Los Angeles had the potential for triggering the vortex effect. Discuss why Los Angeles was the most likely place to trigger the vortex effect and how Joan avoided triggering this effect when in the city. Define the vortext effect and use s
Essay Topic 2
Argue whether friends and family told the details of John's death or whether Joan told everyone. Use examples from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
During the summer, Joan began to feel fragile and unstable. Discuss why Joan felt fragile and unstable and how she coped with these feelings, giving quotes from the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 1,520 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)