|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times did Joan have to repeat the story of how John died to Quintana?
2. When did John have his last cardioversion?
3. How did John's father die?
4. How long after John's death was his funeral held?
5. How often did Joan and John walk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the first words that Joan wrote after her husband's death?
2. Why on most surface levels did Joan seem rational?
3. Where did Joan and John walk together during their morning walks?
4. What happened when Gerry and Quintana arrived in California?
5. What advice about attending funerals did Joan read that was written by Emily Post in her 1922 book of etiquette?
6. During her reading, what did Joan learn were some means that were used to test a patient's memory and comprehension?
7. Why did Joan write "The Year of Magical Thinking"?
8. Why was John depressed in 2003?
9. What did Joan first think when she looked up and saw John slumped over, motionless at dinner?
10. How did Joan describe people who recently lost someone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Quintana was in the ICU at UCLA, Joan whispered a promise to her, the same promise Joan had been making since Quintana was a child. Discuss the promise that Joan always made to Quintana. Why it was a promise that she could not keep?
Essay Topic 2
When Joan went to UCLA to be with Quintana, she expected that Los Angeles would be the place most likely to trigger the vortex effect. Discuss why Los Angeles was the place most likely to trigger the vortex effect and how Joan avoided triggering this effect.
Essay Topic 3
After Quintana's release from the hospital and when she flew to California, Joan believed that she might be beginning a new season of life. Discuss why Joan believed she was entering a new season of life and why that season was short-lived. Support your statements with quotes from the book.
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)