|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book did Joan read that made her realize the significance of things she was told about Quintana's condition in California?
2. What day of the week did John die?
3. Who said that the act of grieving "Involves grave departures from the normal attitude to life"?
4. When did Joan begin writing the book, "The Year of Magical Thinking"?
5. When Quintana was in the ICU at UCLA, what program did Joan listen to on the radio?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Joan describe people who recently lost someone?
2. What one object did Sara Mankiewicz remove from her house when John and Joan rented it and why?
3. What did Joan first think when she looked up and saw John slumped over, motionless at dinner?
4. During her reading, what did Joan learn were some means that were used to test a patient's memory and comprehension?
5. What did John do before he and Joan ate dinner the night of December 30?
6. What happened when Gerry and Quintana arrived in California?
7. What incidents indicated that Joan was not thinking clearly?
8. What did John look like when Joan saw him in the emergency room?
9. What promise did Joan make to Quintana that she realized that she would not be able to keep and why?
10. Why did Joan write "The Year of Magical Thinking"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Quintana was in the ICU at UCLA, Joan whispered a promise to her, the same promise Joan had been making since Quintana was a child. Discuss the promise that Joan always made to Quintana. Why it was a promise that she could not keep?
Essay Topic 2
When Quintana was transferred to the Rusk Institute, Joan said that she was able to mourn and not merely grieve. Compare grief and mourning, using examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
From the time Joan was a child, she thought a great deal about meaninglessness. Discuss how Joan found meaning in her life, giving examples and quotes from the book.
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)