|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What poet did John's brother Nick read at the funeral?
2. Who wrote the book John was reading the night he died?
3. Which drug company manufactured the drug that Quintana was given to treat sepsis?
4. Who wrote "Mourning and Its Relation to Manic-Depressive States"?
5. When did Joan interview people in Honolulu about December 7, 1941?
Short Essay Questions
1. What incidents indicated that Joan was not thinking clearly?
2. What expensive drug was Quintana given when she developed sepsis?
3. What did John look like when Joan saw him in the emergency room?
4. Why on most surface levels did Joan seem rational?
5. Describe John's funeral.
6. What happened when Gerry and Quintana arrived in California?
7. Who came to stay with Joan in the weeks that followed John's death?
8. In Chapter 4, what does Joan say about where and when she and John were married?
9. What did Melanie Klein say about grief?
10. Where did Joan and John walk together during their morning walks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Quintana was transferred to the Rusk Institute, Joan said that she was able to mourn and not merely grieve. Compare grief and mourning, using examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Joan was troubled that everything had been so ordinary the night John died. Discuss what the ordinary had to do with sudden death or disaster. Give examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
When Joan flew to Los Angeles to be with Quintana, she knew that Los Angeles had the potential for triggering the vortex effect. Discuss why Los Angeles was the most likely place to trigger the vortex effect and how Joan avoided triggering this effect when in the city. Define the vortext effect and use s
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)