|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Joan interview people in Honolulu about December 7, 1941?
2. Who said that the act of grieving "Involves grave departures from the normal attitude to life"?
3. What was the date of John and Joan's wedding?
4. When Quintana was in the ICU at UCLA, what program did Joan listen to on the radio?
5. When did John have a pacemaker implanted?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Freud say about grief?
2. What did John look like when Joan saw him in the emergency room?
3. What did Melanie Klein say about grief?
4. During her reading, what did Joan learn were some means that were used to test a patient's memory and comprehension?
5. Why did Joan write "The Year of Magical Thinking"?
6. What incidents indicated that Joan was not thinking clearly?
7. What was Joan's first column like that she wrote for "Life"?
8. Why were Joan and John evicted from their house on the Palos Verdes Peninsula?
9. Why on most surface levels did Joan seem rational?
10. What did Joan first think when she looked up and saw John slumped over, motionless at dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joan linked memories to the effect of a vortex. Discuss "the vortex effect" and how it affected Joan. Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
During Christmas of 2004, Joan compared how she did things when John was alive and the type of person that she was before he died. Compare Joan and her routine before and after John's death.
Essay Topic 3
When Quintana was transferred to the Rusk Institute, Joan said that she was able to mourn and not merely grieve. Compare grief and mourning, using examples from the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)