|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "A Grief Observed"?
2. Who cleaned the blood on the living room floor after John died?
3. Quintana was a patient at Beth Israel Medical Center's Singer Division, when did that hospital close?
4. How often did Joan and John walk?
5. When were the 2004 Academy Awards held?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Joan and John walk together during their morning walks?
2. What incidents indicated that Joan was not thinking clearly?
3. What did Joan first think when she looked up and saw John slumped over, motionless at dinner?
4. Why did Joan write "The Year of Magical Thinking"?
5. What did Freud say about grief?
6. Who came to stay with Joan in the weeks that followed John's death?
7. What expensive drug was Quintana given when she developed sepsis?
8. Describe John's funeral.
9. What were the first words that Joan wrote after her husband's death?
10. In Chapter 4, what does Joan say about where and when she and John were married?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joan linked memories to the effect of a vortex. Discuss "the vortex effect" and how it affected Joan. Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast why some people have difficulty authorizing autopsies and why Joan did not struggle with approving an autopsy. Give examples of Joan's experience from the book.
Essay Topic 3
When Quintana was transferred to the Rusk Institute, Joan said that she was able to mourn and not merely grieve. Compare grief and mourning, using examples from the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)