|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color sorbet and napkins did Quintana have at her wedding?
2. On what floor of the hospital was the ICU located where Quintana was a patient when John died?
3. What was the press rate for a lanai suite at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel when Joan began working for "Life"?
4. Who wrote "A Grief Observed"?
5. What color were John's eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Joan first think when she looked up and saw John slumped over, motionless at dinner?
2. What did Joan argue about with a doctor after Quintana had been intubated for almost a week?
3. What book did Joan receive from Princeton late in the summer?
4. Why on most surface levels did Joan seem rational?
5. What did Joan do Christmas morning 2004?
6. What promise did Joan make to Quintana that she realized that she would not be able to keep and why?
7. Why didn't Joan want to finish the account of her husband's death?
8. What advice about attending funerals did Joan read that was written by Emily Post in her 1922 book of etiquette?
9. What did John do before he and Joan ate dinner the night of December 30?
10. Why were Joan and John evicted from their house on the Palos Verdes Peninsula?
Essay Topic 1
During Christmas of 2004, Joan compared how she did things when John was alive and the type of person that she was before he died. Compare Joan and her routine before and after John's death.
Essay Topic 2
Joan linked memories to the effect of a vortex. Discuss "the vortex effect" and how it affected Joan. Give examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
The way that Joan initially reacted to her husband's death was different from how she reacted in the weeks and months that followed. Compare how Joan initially reacted to her husband's death to how she reacted in the weeks and months that followed. Give examples and quotes from the book to support your statements.
This section contains 1,569 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)