|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color sorbet and napkins did Quintana have at her wedding?
2. How often did Joan and John walk?
3. Where was Quintana born?
4. What was Quintana's temperature the first time she went to the emergency room?
5. How old were Joan and her brother when her mother was dying?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would Quintana spend weekends when she was at Rusk Institute?
2. How did Joan, Gerry and Tony plan to tell Quintana that her father died?
3. Why wouldn't the funeral be the worst thing that a grieving person had to experience?
4. What would John and Joan do after the 1992 Democratic convention?
5. What was Joan's first column like that she wrote for "Life"?
6. What expensive drug was Quintana given when she developed sepsis?
7. How did friends and relatives help Joan in the first three weeks after John died?
8. What advice about attending funerals did Joan read that was written by Emily Post in her 1922 book of etiquette?
9. What one object did Sara Mankiewicz remove from her house when John and Joan rented it and why?
10. During her reading, what did Joan learn were some means that were used to test a patient's memory and comprehension?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All her life, Joan turned to literature in times of trouble and John's death was no different. Compare the different types of literature that Joan read to help her cope with her grief and why some were more helpful than others. Give specific titles and examples from the book in support of your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
At one point, Joan compared the way she interacted with the doctors and hospital staff to the way a sheep dog herds sheep. Discuss why Joan's relationship with Quintana's doctors and hospital staff was similar to the way that a dog herds sheep and how that affected her relationship with the doctors and hospital staff.
Essay Topic 3
Compare how death was regarded before and after the 1930's with when Joan was growing up.
This section contains 1,508 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)