|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Joan wish she could use to record the memories that she included in the book rather than writing about them?
2. What book did Joan read that made her realize the significance of things she was told about Quintana's condition in California?
3. How did John's father die?
4. Where was the funeral for John held?
5. Before Quintana became ill, where had she and her husband planned to spend Christmas night and a few days?
Short Essay Questions
1. What incidents indicated that Joan was not thinking clearly?
2. How would Quintana spend weekends when she was at Rusk Institute?
3. Why did Joan believe that there was a point at which the dead must be relinquished?
4. Why was Quintanna, Joan's and John's daughter in the hospital, when her father died?
5. What did Joan do Christmas morning 2004?
6. What advice about attending funerals did Joan read that was written by Emily Post in her 1922 book of etiquette?
7. What did it mean that post-mortem lividity was present in John's body?
8. Why wouldn't the funeral be the worst thing that a grieving person had to experience?
9. Why did Joan use to tell John her dreams.
10. What would John and Joan do after the 1992 Democratic convention?
Essay Topic 1
John insisted on a trip to Paris in November because he believed if he didn't go then, he would never see Paris before he died. Discuss why John believed that he was dying.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast why some people have difficulty authorizing autopsies and why Joan did not struggle with approving an autopsy. Give examples of Joan's experience from the book.
Essay Topic 3
When Quintana was transferred to the Rusk Institute, Joan said that she was able to mourn and not merely grieve. Compare grief and mourning, using examples from the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 1,600 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)