|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What poet did John's brother Nick read at the funeral?
2. When did John have a pacemaker implanted?
3. What was the date of John's funeral?
4. What was Joan's occupation?
5. What was Joan watching when she first noticed the vortex effect?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Joan and John walk together during their morning walks?
2. What did John do before he and Joan ate dinner the night of December 30?
3. What did Melanie Klein say about grief?
4. How did Joan, Gerry and Tony plan to tell Quintana that her father died?
5. What expensive drug was Quintana given when she developed sepsis?
6. Why on most surface levels did Joan seem rational?
7. During her reading, what did Joan learn were some means that were used to test a patient's memory and comprehension?
8. What incidents indicated that Joan was not thinking clearly?
9. How did John, Joan, Gerry and Quintana spend Thanksgiving 2003?
10. What did Joan first think when she looked up and saw John slumped over, motionless at dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
All her life, Joan turned to literature in times of trouble and John's death was no different. Compare the different types of literature that Joan read to help her cope with her grief and why some were more helpful than others. Give specific titles and examples from the book in support of your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Argue whether friends and family told the details of John's death or whether Joan told everyone. Use examples from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the overall mood of the book and give examples of the change in mood from the beginning of the novel to the end.
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)