Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Joan wish she could use to record the memories that she included in the book rather than writing about them?
2. What book did Joan read that made her realize the significance of things she was told about Quintana's condition in California?
3. How did John's father die?
4. Where was the funeral for John held?
5. Before Quintana became ill, where had she and her husband planned to spend Christmas night and a few days?
Short Essay Questions
1. What incidents indicated that Joan was not thinking clearly?
2. How would Quintana spend weekends when she was at Rusk Institute?
3. Why did Joan believe that there was a point at which the dead must be relinquished?
4. Why was Quintanna, Joan's and John's daughter in the hospital, when her father died?
5. What did Joan do Christmas morning 2004?
6. What advice about attending funerals did Joan read that was written by Emily Post in her 1922 book of etiquette?
7. What did it mean that post-mortem lividity was present in John's body?
8. Why wouldn't the funeral be the worst thing that a grieving person had to experience?
9. Why did Joan use to tell John her dreams.
10. What would John and Joan do after the 1992 Democratic convention?
Essay Topic 1
When Joan went to UCLA to be with Quintana, she expected that Los Angeles would be the place most likely to trigger the vortex effect. Discuss why Los Angeles was the place most likely to trigger the vortex effect and how Joan avoided triggering this effect.
Essay Topic 2
After trying to cover the Democratic convention, Joan believed that there was no place she could go and not be reminded of John. Discuss her statement and provide examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
During the summer, Joan began to feel fragile and unstable. Discuss why Joan felt fragile and unstable and how she coped with these feelings, giving quotes from the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)