|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the elevator man who amused himself with John in the elevator with a small verbal game?
2. What was Quintana's temperature the first time she went to the emergency room?
3. What day of the week did John die?
4. Where was the funeral for John held?
5. How many times did Joan have to repeat the story of how John died to Quintana?
Short Essay Questions
1. What expensive drug was Quintana given when she developed sepsis?
2. What did John do before he and Joan ate dinner the night of December 30?
3. What did Joan first think when she looked up and saw John slumped over, motionless at dinner?
4. Why did Joan write "The Year of Magical Thinking"?
5. During her reading, what did Joan learn were some means that were used to test a patient's memory and comprehension?
6. What incidents indicated that Joan was not thinking clearly?
7. Describe John's funeral.
8. How did Joan describe people who recently lost someone?
9. How did John, Joan, Gerry and Quintana spend Thanksgiving 2003?
10. Why on most surface levels did Joan seem rational?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After trying to cover the Democratic convention, Joan believed that there was no place she could go and not be reminded of John. Discuss her statement and provide examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
When Joan went to UCLA to be with Quintana, she expected that Los Angeles would be the place most likely to trigger the vortex effect. Discuss why Los Angeles was the place most likely to trigger the vortex effect and how Joan avoided triggering this effect.
Essay Topic 3
Compare how death was regarded before and after the 1930's with when Joan was growing up.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)