|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the date on the computer file that contained the first few lines that Joan wrote after her husband's death?
2. When did Joan interview people in Honolulu about December 7, 1941?
3. What did Joan wish she could use to record the memories that she included in the book rather than writing about them?
4. When did John and Joan visit the Miami-Dade Medical Examiner's office?
5. How many widowers were studied in the United Kingdom, according to a report in "The Lancet"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Joan first think when she looked up and saw John slumped over, motionless at dinner?
2. Who came to stay with Joan in the weeks that followed John's death?
3. What was Joan's first column like that she wrote for "Life"?
4. How did friends and relatives help Joan in the first three weeks after John died?
5. What happened when Gerry and Quintana arrived in California?
6. How did Joan, Gerry and Tony plan to tell Quintana that her father died?
7. Why on most surface levels did Joan seem rational?
8. Why was John depressed in 2003?
9. Describe John's funeral.
10. What one object did Sara Mankiewicz remove from her house when John and Joan rented it and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Joan went to UCLA to be with Quintana, she expected that Los Angeles would be the place most likely to trigger the vortex effect. Discuss why Los Angeles was the place most likely to trigger the vortex effect and how Joan avoided triggering this effect.
Essay Topic 2
When Joan flew to Los Angeles to be with Quintana, she knew that Los Angeles had the potential for triggering the vortex effect. Discuss why Los Angeles was the most likely place to trigger the vortex effect and how Joan avoided triggering this effect when in the city. Define the vortext effect and use s
Essay Topic 3
At times, Joan did not believe that she was operating from her rational mind. Discuss why Joan said that she was not operating from her rational mind and what helped her think more rationally.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)