|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did John have his last cardioversion?
2. Which of Joan's novels used an incident about a woman whose abortion was paid for by the district attorney's office?
3. What poet did John's brother Nick read at the funeral?
4. What flowers were on a wallpaper border in a room at Beth Israel North?
5. What was the name of the book John was reading the night he died?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Joan describe people who recently lost someone?
2. Why did a woman that Joan worked with at "Vogue" have an abortion that was paid for by the attorney general's office?
3. Why on most surface levels did Joan seem rational?
4. Why was Quintanna, Joan's and John's daughter in the hospital, when her father died?
5. What did John do before he and Joan ate dinner the night of December 30?
6. What happened when Gerry and Quintana arrived in California?
7. Why was John depressed in 2003?
8. What promise did Joan make to Quintana that she realized that she would not be able to keep and why?
9. In Chapter 4, what does Joan say about where and when she and John were married?
10. How did friends and relatives help Joan in the first three weeks after John died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point, Joan compared the way she interacted with the doctors and hospital staff to the way a sheep dog herds sheep. Discuss why Joan's relationship with Quintana's doctors and hospital staff was similar to the way that a dog herds sheep and how that affected her relationship with the doctors and hospital staff.
Essay Topic 2
After Quintana's release from the hospital and when she flew to California, Joan believed that she might be beginning a new season of life. Discuss why Joan believed she was entering a new season of life and why that season was short-lived. Support your statements with quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 3
When Joan went to UCLA to be with Quintana, she expected that Los Angeles would be the place most likely to trigger the vortex effect. Discuss why Los Angeles was the place most likely to trigger the vortex effect and how Joan avoided triggering this effect.
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)