|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sea creatures did studies show refused to eat after a mate died?
2. Where was the funeral for John held?
3. What color were John's eyes?
4. What was the press rate for a lanai suite at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel when Joan began working for "Life"?
5. Who wrote the book John was reading the night he died?
Short Essay Questions
1. What expensive drug was Quintana given when she developed sepsis?
2. What promise did Joan make to Quintana that she realized that she would not be able to keep and why?
3. In Chapter 4, what does Joan say about where and when she and John were married?
4. What one object did Sara Mankiewicz remove from her house when John and Joan rented it and why?
5. What did John do before he and Joan ate dinner the night of December 30?
6. How did friends and relatives help Joan in the first three weeks after John died?
7. Why was John depressed in 2003?
8. What did Melanie Klein say about grief?
9. Why was Quintanna, Joan's and John's daughter in the hospital, when her father died?
10. How did Joan describe people who recently lost someone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the summer, Joan began to feel fragile and unstable. Discuss why Joan felt fragile and unstable and how she coped with these feelings, giving quotes from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
The way that Joan initially reacted to her husband's death was different from how she reacted in the weeks and months that followed. Compare how Joan initially reacted to her husband's death to how she reacted in the weeks and months that followed. Give examples and quotes from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Argue whether friends and family told the details of John's death or whether Joan told everyone. Use examples from the book to support your position.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)