|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "Mourning and Its Relation to Manic-Depressive States"?
2. How many days after her husband's death did Joan write a few lines about the way life changes in an instant?
3. Where did John take Quintana so Joan could finish her first column for "Life"?
4. What radio station did Joan listen to when she lived in California?
5. How many people attended John and Joan's wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did friends and relatives help Joan in the first three weeks after John died?
2. In Chapter 4, what does Joan say about where and when she and John were married?
3. Why on most surface levels did Joan seem rational?
4. Describe John's funeral.
5. Why did a woman that Joan worked with at "Vogue" have an abortion that was paid for by the attorney general's office?
6. What did John look like when Joan saw him in the emergency room?
7. What was Joan's first column like that she wrote for "Life"?
8. What advice about attending funerals did Joan read that was written by Emily Post in her 1922 book of etiquette?
9. During her reading, what did Joan learn were some means that were used to test a patient's memory and comprehension?
10. What were the first words that Joan wrote after her husband's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John insisted on a trip to Paris in November because he believed if he didn't go then, he would never see Paris before he died. Discuss why John believed that he was dying.
Essay Topic 2
Argue whether friends and family told the details of John's death or whether Joan told everyone. Use examples from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
When Joan went to UCLA to be with Quintana, she expected that Los Angeles would be the place most likely to trigger the vortex effect. Discuss why Los Angeles was the place most likely to trigger the vortex effect and how Joan avoided triggering this effect.
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)