|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book did Joan read that made her realize the significance of things she was told about Quintana's condition in California?
2. Quintana was a patient at Beth Israel Medical Center's Singer Division, when did that hospital close?
3. Where was the funeral for John held?
4. What did Joan wear to her wedding?
5. How many people attended John and Joan's wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the first words that Joan wrote after her husband's death?
2. What advice about attending funerals did Joan read that was written by Emily Post in her 1922 book of etiquette?
3. What did Joan first think when she looked up and saw John slumped over, motionless at dinner?
4. What was Joan's first column like that she wrote for "Life"?
5. What did John do before he and Joan ate dinner the night of December 30?
6. How did friends and relatives help Joan in the first three weeks after John died?
7. Describe John's funeral.
8. What did Freud say about grief?
9. How did Joan describe people who recently lost someone?
10. Why on most surface levels did Joan seem rational?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare how death was regarded before and after the 1930's with when Joan was growing up.
Essay Topic 2
When Quintana was transferred to the Rusk Institute, Joan said that she was able to mourn and not merely grieve. Compare grief and mourning, using examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
After Quintana's release from the hospital and when she flew to California, Joan believed that she might be beginning a new season of life. Discuss why Joan believed she was entering a new season of life and why that season was short-lived. Support your statements with quotes from the book.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)