|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When were the 2004 Academy Awards held?
2. What was Quintana's temperature the first time she went to the emergency room?
3. What color were John's eyes?
4. What did Joan wish she could use to record the memories that she included in the book rather than writing about them?
5. What flowers were on a wallpaper border in a room at Beth Israel North?
Short Essay Questions
1. During her reading, what did Joan learn were some means that were used to test a patient's memory and comprehension?
2. In Chapter 4, what does Joan say about where and when she and John were married?
3. What advice about attending funerals did Joan read that was written by Emily Post in her 1922 book of etiquette?
4. How did Joan describe people who recently lost someone?
5. What did Joan first think when she looked up and saw John slumped over, motionless at dinner?
6. What expensive drug was Quintana given when she developed sepsis?
7. What did Freud say about grief?
8. What did Melanie Klein say about grief?
9. Who came to stay with Joan in the weeks that followed John's death?
10. What were the first words that Joan wrote after her husband's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During Christmas of 2004, Joan compared how she did things when John was alive and the type of person that she was before he died. Compare Joan and her routine before and after John's death.
Essay Topic 2
The way that Joan initially reacted to her husband's death was different from how she reacted in the weeks and months that followed. Compare how Joan initially reacted to her husband's death to how she reacted in the weeks and months that followed. Give examples and quotes from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
When Joan flew to Los Angeles to be with Quintana, she knew that Los Angeles had the potential for triggering the vortex effect. Discuss why Los Angeles was the most likely place to trigger the vortex effect and how Joan avoided triggering this effect when in the city. Define the vortext effect and use s
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)