|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Joan interview Teresa Heinz Kerry?
2. In her reading, what did Joan learn was the mortality rate for those who had fixed and dilated pupils?
3. What book did Joan buy, but have difficult deciphering the language?
4. Before Quintana became ill, where had she and her husband planned to spend Christmas night and a few days?
5. When did Joan interview people in Honolulu about December 7, 1941?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice about attending funerals did Joan read that was written by Emily Post in her 1922 book of etiquette?
2. How did Joan describe people who recently lost someone?
3. Why on most surface levels did Joan seem rational?
4. What one object did Sara Mankiewicz remove from her house when John and Joan rented it and why?
5. Why did Joan write "The Year of Magical Thinking"?
6. What happened when Gerry and Quintana arrived in California?
7. Why were Joan and John evicted from their house on the Palos Verdes Peninsula?
8. Why was Quintanna, Joan's and John's daughter in the hospital, when her father died?
9. What expensive drug was Quintana given when she developed sepsis?
10. How did Joan, Gerry and Tony plan to tell Quintana that her father died?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After Quintana's release from the hospital and when she flew to California, Joan believed that she might be beginning a new season of life. Discuss why Joan believed she was entering a new season of life and why that season was short-lived. Support your statements with quotes from the book.
Essay Topic 2
At one point, Joan compared the way she interacted with the doctors and hospital staff to the way a sheep dog herds sheep. Discuss why Joan's relationship with Quintana's doctors and hospital staff was similar to the way that a dog herds sheep and how that affected her relationship with the doctors and hospital staff.
Essay Topic 3
During the summer, Joan began to feel fragile and unstable. Discuss why Joan felt fragile and unstable and how she coped with these feelings, giving quotes from the book to support your discussion.
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)