|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the date when Quintana was told her father died?
2. What poet did John's brother Nick read at the funeral?
3. When were the 2004 Academy Awards held?
4. What type of clothing did Joan buy to wear in Los Angeles?
5. What was the date of John's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Joan, Gerry and Tony plan to tell Quintana that her father died?
2. Why were Joan and John evicted from their house on the Palos Verdes Peninsula?
3. What did Freud say about grief?
4. What incidents indicated that Joan was not thinking clearly?
5. What did John look like when Joan saw him in the emergency room?
6. Why on most surface levels did Joan seem rational?
7. Why was John depressed in 2003?
8. What advice about attending funerals did Joan read that was written by Emily Post in her 1922 book of etiquette?
9. What did Melanie Klein say about grief?
10. Who came to stay with Joan in the weeks that followed John's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Argue whether friends and family told the details of John's death or whether Joan told everyone. Use examples from the book to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the overall mood of the book and give examples of the change in mood from the beginning of the novel to the end.
Essay Topic 3
Compare how death was regarded before and after the 1930's with when Joan was growing up.
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)