|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Quintana when Joan wrote a book that told about a woman whose abortion was paid for by the district attorney's office?
(a) 2 years old.
(b) 5 years old.
(c) 4 years old.
(d) 3 years old
2. What book did Joan read that made her realize the significance of things she was told about Quintana's condition in California?
(a) How We Die.
(b) The Soul of Medicine.
(c) The Art of Aging.
(d) How We Live.
3. Which of Joan's novels used an incident about a woman whose abortion was paid for by the district attorney's office?
(c) Slouching Towards Bethlehem.
(d) Play It As It Lays.
4. When did John have a pacemaker implanted?
(a) September 2002.
(b) November 2002.
(c) June 2003.
(d) April 2003.
5. How did John's father die?
(a) A construction accident.
(b) A car accident.
(c) A stroke.
(d) Cardiac arrest.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did John die?
2. How many times did Joan have to repeat the story of how John died to Quintana?
3. When were the 2004 Academy Awards held?
4. When John's funeral took place, how many months had it been since Quintana's wedding?
5. How long were the paramedics in Joan's apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was John depressed in 2003?
2. Why did a woman that Joan worked with at "Vogue" have an abortion that was paid for by the attorney general's office?
3. What expensive drug was Quintana given when she developed sepsis?
4. What happened when Gerry and Quintana arrived in California?
5. Describe John's funeral.
6. During her reading, what did Joan learn were some means that were used to test a patient's memory and comprehension?
7. Who came to stay with Joan in the weeks that followed John's death?
8. What was Joan's first column like that she wrote for "Life"?
9. What advice about attending funerals did Joan read that was written by Emily Post in her 1922 book of etiquette?
10. Why did Joan write "The Year of Magical Thinking"?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)