|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old were Joan and her brother when her mother was dying?
(a) In their70's.
(b) In their 50's.
(c) In their 40's.
(d) In their 60's.
2. When did John die?
(a) September 19, 2003.
(b) December 30, 2003.
(c) November 15, 2003.
(d) October 27, 2003.
3. What time did the paramedics arrive at Joan's apartment building?
(a) 9:20 p.m.
(b) 10:05 p.m.
(c) 8:45 p.m.
(d) 10:35 p.m.
4. When John's funeral took place, how many months had it been since Quintana's wedding?
(a) 5 months.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 3 months.
(d) 8 months.
5. When did Joan interview Teresa Heinz Kerry?
(a) During the 2000 campaign.
(b) Shortly after her daughter's death.
(c) Shortly after her husband's death.
(d) During the 2004 campaign.
Short Answer Questions
1. In her reading, what did Joan learn was the mortality rate for those who had fixed and dilated pupils?
2. What did Joan wish she could use to record the memories that she included in the book rather than writing about them?
3. When was "Mourning and Its Relation to Manic-Depressive States" written?
4. When did Joan interview people in Honolulu about December 7, 1941?
5. How many days after her husband's death did Joan write a few lines about the way life changes in an instant?
Short Essay Questions
1. During her reading, what did Joan learn were some means that were used to test a patient's memory and comprehension?
2. What did Joan first think when she looked up and saw John slumped over, motionless at dinner?
3. How did John, Joan, Gerry and Quintana spend Thanksgiving 2003?
4. Why did Joan write "The Year of Magical Thinking"?
5. How did Joan describe people who recently lost someone?
6. Why on most surface levels did Joan seem rational?
7. What were the first words that Joan wrote after her husband's death?
8. What did Melanie Klein say about grief?
9. What did John do before he and Joan ate dinner the night of December 30?
10. What happened when Gerry and Quintana arrived in California?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)