|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Quintana was in the ICU at UCLA, what program did Joan listen to on the radio?
(a) All Things Considered.
(b) From the Top.
(c) All Songs Considered.
(d) Morning Becomes Eclectic.
2. Who said that the act of grieving "Involves grave departures from the normal attitude to life"?
3. Who wrote "A Grief Observed"?
(a) Martha Whitmore.
(b) C.S. Lewis.
(c) Elisabeth Kubler-Ross.
(d) H. Norman Wright.
4. What book did Joan read that made her realize the significance of things she was told about Quintana's condition in California?
(a) How We Live.
(b) The Soul of Medicine.
(c) How We Die.
(d) The Art of Aging.
5. What was Joan watching when she first noticed the vortex effect?
(a) Ice floes.
(c) Icicles dripping.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did John take Quintana so Joan could finish her first column for "Life"?
2. When did John have a pacemaker implanted?
3. What was the press rate for a lanai suite at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel when Joan began working for "Life"?
4. What was the date on the computer file that contained the first few lines that Joan wrote after her husband's death?
5. What word did Joan consider adding in the phrase, "Life changes in the instant"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Joan's first column like that she wrote for "Life"?
2. How did John, Joan, Gerry and Quintana spend Thanksgiving 2003?
3. Why was John depressed in 2003?
4. Why on most surface levels did Joan seem rational?
5. What one object did Sara Mankiewicz remove from her house when John and Joan rented it and why?
6. Describe John's funeral.
7. What did Melanie Klein say about grief?
8. What did John do before he and Joan ate dinner the night of December 30?
9. Who came to stay with Joan in the weeks that followed John's death?
10. Where did Joan and John walk together during their morning walks?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)