|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book did Joan read that made her realize the significance of things she was told about Quintana's condition in California?
(a) The Soul of Medicine.
(b) The Art of Aging.
(c) How We Die.
(d) How We Live.
2. When did John have his last cardioversion?
(a) March 2003.
(b) January 2003.
(c) April 2003.
(d) July 2003.
3. Where was the funeral for John held?
(a) Cathedral of St. John the Divine.
(b) Church of Christ the King.
(c) Church of St. Augustine.
(d) Church of St. Anthony of Padua.
4. When did Joan begin writing the book, "The Year of Magical Thinking"?
(a) October 4, 2004.
(b) December 30, 2004.
(c) November 14, 2004.
(d) August 18, 2004.
5. When did John die?
(a) December 30, 2003.
(b) October 27, 2003.
(c) September 19, 2003.
(d) November 15, 2003.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often did Joan and John walk?
2. When did John have a pacemaker implanted?
3. How long after John's death was his funeral held?
4. What type of drink did Joan get John when they came from visiting Quintana?
5. Quintana was a patient at Beth Israel Medical Center's Singer Division, when did that hospital close?
Short Essay Questions
1. What promise did Joan make to Quintana that she realized that she would not be able to keep and why?
2. What did John look like when Joan saw him in the emergency room?
3. What did Melanie Klein say about grief?
4. What happened when Gerry and Quintana arrived in California?
5. What did Freud say about grief?
6. What incidents indicated that Joan was not thinking clearly?
7. How did Joan, Gerry and Tony plan to tell Quintana that her father died?
8. What advice about attending funerals did Joan read that was written by Emily Post in her 1922 book of etiquette?
9. What did Joan first think when she looked up and saw John slumped over, motionless at dinner?
10. What were the first words that Joan wrote after her husband's death?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)