|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of a tree did Joan drape colored Christmas lights on in Chapter 20?
2. Who wrote, "Time is the school in which we learn"?
(a) Ezra Pound.
(b) Wallace Stevens.
(c) Delmore Schwartz.
(d) Robert Frost.
3. Which Protestant denomination did Joan say used these words in a litany, "as it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, world without end"?
4. Where was the 2004 Republican convention held?
(b) San Francisco.
(d) New York.
5. When Joan awakened at 3:30 one morning, who was being interviewed on TV?
(a) Afghanistani refugees.
(b) Passengers from Northwest Flight 327.
(c) AIDS orphans.
(d) The Spanish Prime Minister.
6. Who spoke at the senior banquet when John graduated from college?
(a) Dwight D. Eisenhower.
(b) Winston Churchill.
(c) William Holden.
(d) Adlai Stevenson.
7. What year was it when John and Joan were at a red light and saw the driver suddenly slump over his steering wheel?
8. In Chapter 13, what was the name of the character in the excerpt Joan quoted from a novel she wrote in the mid-1990's?
9. When did Nick's daughter Dominique die?
10. What book did Julia Child have inscribed to give to John?
(a) The Way to Cook.
(b) Mastering the Art of French Cooking.
(c) Julia and Jacques Cooking at Home.
(d) From Julia Child's Kitchen.
11. How long after Quintana was discharged from the Rusk Institute did Joan go to the Democratic convention?
(a) 5 days.
(b) 12 days.
(c) 17 days.
(d) 10 days.
12. When did a study done by University of Californ San Diego and Tufts show that there was a 4.65 percent increase in cardiac death?
(a) Around birthdays.
(b) Between Christmas and New Year's.
(c) After the death of a family member.
(d) During anniversaries.
13. By what plant in the box garden did John or Joan place Quintana in her bassinet when they first brought her home?
14. How many letters did Joan have from John?
(a) A dozen letters.
(b) Hundreds of letters.
(c) No letters.
(d) 30 to 40 letters.
15. Who wrote a book about her husband's death that Joan despised?
(a) Barbara Barth.
(b) Lynn Caine.
(c) Mary Beth Crain.
(d) Caitlin Thomas.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what street was the Rusk Institute located?
2. Where was the male patient from who lay to the left of Quintana's bed at UCLA?
3. In what state did the plane that was transporting Quintana land to refuel?
4. What book did someone place on top of the books by John's chair?
5. On what peninsula was John and Joan's first house of their married life?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)