|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was the man to the right of Quintana's bed at UCLA injured?
(a) Falling down the stairs.
(b) A construction accident.
(c) An automobile accident.
(d) Falling off a ladder.
2. What type of fish were in the pond at Rusk Institute?
(b) Mosquito fish.
3. How old was Joan when Quintana was three years old?
(a) 29 years old.
(b) 32 years old.
(c) 31 years old.
(d) 34 years old.
4. What time did Quintana have therapy at Rusk Institute?
(a) 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
(b) 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
(c) 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
(d) 8 a.m. to noon.
5. When Joan awakened at 3:30 one morning, who was being interviewed on TV?
(a) Afghanistani refugees.
(b) The Spanish Prime Minister.
(c) Passengers from Northwest Flight 327.
(d) AIDS orphans.
6. When the air ambulance that was to transport Quintana had mechanical difficulties, where did it land?
(a) Colorado Springs.
7. What book did someone place on top of the books by John's chair?
(a) Great Gardens of the World.
(b) The Most Beautiful Gardens in the World.
(c) The English Country House.
(d) The Agnelli Gardens at Villar Perosa.
8. What would John and Joan pass as they drove and began to argue when they lived at Portuguese Bend?
(a) The refineries.
(b) The library.
(c) A car dealer.
(d) A large mansion.
9. How old was Joan when the bomb was dropped on Hiroshima?
(a) 7 years old.
(b) 8 years old.
(c) 10 years old.
(d) 9 years old.
10. Who wrote, "Time is the school in which we learn"?
(a) Wallace Stevens.
(b) Robert Frost.
(c) Ezra Pound.
(d) Delmore Schwartz.
11. Which of Euripedes' plays did Joan feel that she must reread?
(b) Trojan Women.
(c) The Bacchae.
12. Who asked Joan if she wanted to cover the Democratic and Republic summer conventions?
(a) David Brown.
(b) Robert Silvers.
(c) Louis Griffin.
(d) Bryant Davidson.
13. What year was it when John and Joan were at a red light and saw the driver suddenly slump over his steering wheel?
14. When did a study done by University of Californ San Diego and Tufts show that there was a 4.65 percent increase in cardiac death?
(a) After the death of a family member.
(b) Between Christmas and New Year's.
(c) During anniversaries.
(d) Around birthdays.
15. What landslide seemed to bury the house that Joan and Joan lived when they first married?
(a) Portuguese Bend landslide.
(b) Las Lomas landslide.
(c) San Leandra landslide.
(d) Blucher Valley landslide.
Short Answer Questions
1. What anticoagulant was John taking?
2. How long did it take the ambulance to get to John's and Joan's apartment after the emergency call was received?
3. In Chapter 13, what was the name of the character in the excerpt Joan quoted from a novel she wrote in the mid-1990's?
4. How old was Joan when she despised the book "Leftover Life to Kill"?
5. Who said that self-pity is "our worst enemy"?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)