|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word did Joan consider adding in the phrase, "Life changes in the instant"?
2. What was Joan watching when she first noticed the vortex effect?
(b) Icicles dripping.
(d) Ice floes.
3. What color sorbet and napkins did Quintana have at her wedding?
4. How many paramedics did Joan think came when she called for an ambulance?
(a) 4 paramedics.
(b) 3-4 paramedics.
(c) 1-2 paramedics.
(d) 5 paramedics.
5. Where was John's cardiologist when John died?
(a) Cape Cod.
(c) Martha's Vineyard.
6. When did Joan begin writing the book, "The Year of Magical Thinking"?
(a) November 14, 2004.
(b) October 4, 2004.
(c) December 30, 2004.
(d) August 18, 2004.
7. Who said that the act of grieving "Involves grave departures from the normal attitude to life"?
8. Which of Joan's novels used an incident about a woman whose abortion was paid for by the district attorney's office?
(a) Slouching Towards Bethlehem.
(b) Play It As It Lays.
9. What time did the paramedics arrive at Joan's apartment building?
(a) 9:20 p.m.
(b) 8:45 p.m.
(c) 10:35 p.m.
(d) 10:05 p.m.
10. When Quintana was in the ICU at UCLA, what program did Joan listen to on the radio?
(a) All Songs Considered.
(b) From the Top.
(c) Morning Becomes Eclectic.
(d) All Things Considered.
11. When did an author write "Mourning and Melancholia"?
12. When did John die?
(a) September 19, 2003.
(b) December 30, 2003.
(c) October 27, 2003.
(d) November 15, 2003.
13. What type of clothing did Joan buy to wear in Los Angeles?
(a) Sleeveless dresses.
(b) Blue scrubs.
(c) Shorts and capris.
(d) Short sleeve blouses.
14. Who wrote the book John was reading the night he died?
(a) Paul Newcomber.
(b) David Fromkin.
(c) Martin Nighly.
(d) Bryant Gillian.
15. What color were John's eyes?
Short Answer Questions
1. In her reading, what did Joan learn was the mortality rate for those who had fixed and dilated pupils?
2. Who was Quintana's best friend from California?
3. How old were Joan and her brother when her mother was dying?
4. Which drug company manufactured the drug that Quintana was given to treat sepsis?
5. What was Quintana's temperature the first time she went to the emergency room?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)