|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the date on the computer file that contained the first few lines that Joan wrote after her husband's death?
(a) April 12, 2004.
(b) January 4, 2004.
(c) March 13, 2004.
(d) May 20, 2004.
2. When did Joan interview people in Honolulu about December 7, 1941?
3. Where did John take Quintana so Joan could finish her first column for "Life"?
(a) Waikiki Aquarium.
(b) Honolulu Zoo.
(c) Out to eat.
(d) A playground.
4. Quintana was a patient at Beth Israel Medical Center's Singer Division, when did that hospital close?
(a) September 2004.
(b) August 2004.
(c) May 2005.
(d) July 2005.
5. What did Joan wish she could use to record the memories that she included in the book rather than writing about them?
(a) A digital camera.
(b) A tape recorder.
(c) A digital scrapbook.
(d) A digital editing system.
6. When did John and Joan visit the Miami-Dade Medical Examiner's office?
(a) 1987 or 1988.
(b) 1985 or 1986.
(c) 1979 or 1980.
(d) 1990 or 1991.
7. What time did the paramedics arrive at Joan's apartment building?
(a) 8:45 p.m.
(b) 10:35 p.m.
(c) 9:20 p.m.
(d) 10:05 p.m.
8. What radio station did Joan listen to when she lived in California?
9. What sea creatures did studies show refused to eat after a mate died?
10. What day was Quintana taken to the hospital emergency room toward the end of 2003?
(a) December 25.
(b) December 18.
(c) November 30.
(d) November 15.
11. When were the 2004 Academy Awards held?
(a) March 11.
(b) March 4.
(c) February 29.
(d) February 18.
12. What was the date of John's funeral?
(a) March 23.
(b) February 23.
(c) January 23.
(d) April 23.
13. What illness sent Quintana to the emergency room in December 2003?
(b) Strep throat.
14. How many widowers were studied in the United Kingdom, according to a report in "The Lancet"?
(a) 2,124 widowers.
(b) 3,489 widowers.
(c) 4,486 widowers.
(d) 5,642 widowers.
15. When did an author write "Mourning and Melancholia"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Before Quintana became ill, where had she and her husband planned to spend Christmas night and a few days?
2. After John's death, which of John's novels did Joan realize was about grief?
3. How many paramedics did Joan think came when she called for an ambulance?
4. When did John have a pacemaker implanted?
5. What Matthew Arnold poem did Joan mention reading in Chapter 4?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)