|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of Joan's novels used an incident about a woman whose abortion was paid for by the district attorney's office?
(a) Play It As It Lays.
(c) Slouching Towards Bethlehem.
2. What sea creatures did studies show refused to eat after a mate died?
3. On what floor of the hospital was the ICU located where Quintana was a patient when John died?
(a) 4th floor.
(b) 8th floor.
(c) 3rd floor.
(d) 6th floor.
4. After Teresa Heinz Kerry's first husband died, where did she feel a need to go?
5. When did Joan begin writing the book, "The Year of Magical Thinking"?
(a) December 30, 2004.
(b) August 18, 2004.
(c) October 4, 2004.
(d) November 14, 2004.
6. Which drug company manufactured the drug that Quintana was given to treat sepsis?
(c) Eli Lilly.
7. What illness sent Quintana to the emergency room in December 2003?
(d) Strep throat.
8. What did Joan wish she could use to record the memories that she included in the book rather than writing about them?
(a) A digital camera.
(b) A tape recorder.
(c) A digital scrapbook.
(d) A digital editing system.
9. What word did Joan consider adding in the phrase, "Life changes in the instant"?
10. What was Quintana's temperature the first time she went to the emergency room?
11. Before Quintana became ill, where had she and her husband planned to spend Christmas night and a few days?
12. Where was Quintana born?
(a) Holmby Hills.
(b) Santa Monica.
13. What was the press rate for a lanai suite at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel when Joan began working for "Life"?
14. When did Joan first notice what she called the "vortex" effect?
15. What day of the week did John die?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Joan's mother when she was near death?
2. Quintana was a patient at Beth Israel Medical Center's Singer Division, when did that hospital close?
3. What was Joan's occupation?
4. Why was Quintana admitted to Milstein Hospital shortly after her release from Beth Israel?
5. How many paramedics did Joan think came when she called for an ambulance?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)