|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old were Joan and her brother when her mother was dying?
(a) In their 40's.
(b) In their 60's.
(c) In their 50's.
(d) In their70's.
2. When did Joan first notice what she called the "vortex" effect?
3. Which of Joan's novels used an incident about a woman whose abortion was paid for by the district attorney's office?
(b) Play It As It Lays.
(d) Slouching Towards Bethlehem.
4. What illness sent Quintana to the emergency room in December 2003?
(d) Strep throat.
5. Who wrote "A Grief Observed"?
(a) C.S. Lewis.
(b) H. Norman Wright.
(c) Martha Whitmore.
(d) Elisabeth Kubler-Ross.
6. What color were John's eyes?
7. Where did John take Quintana so Joan could finish her first column for "Life"?
(a) Waikiki Aquarium.
(b) A playground.
(c) Honolulu Zoo.
(d) Out to eat.
8. What was the date of John and Joan's wedding?
(a) March 15, 1965.
(b) January 30, 1964.
(c) June 29, 1964.
(d) April 12, 1965.
9. How many days after her husband's death did Joan write a few lines about the way life changes in an instant?
(a) 7 days.
(b) 5 days.
(c) 6-8 days.
(d) 2-3 days.
10. What type of drink did Joan get John when they came from visiting Quintana?
11. What sea creatures did studies show refused to eat after a mate died?
12. How much did it cost Joan and John to rent a house on Franklin Avenue in Hollywood many years ago?
13. Which drug company manufactured the drug that Quintana was given to treat sepsis?
(b) Eli Lilly.
14. After John's death, which of John's novels did Joan realize was about grief?
(b) Dutch Shea, Jr.
(c) The Studio.
(d) Nothing Lost.
15. When was Quintana discharged from Beth Israel?
(a) February 15, 2004.
(b) January 30, 2004.
(c) January 22, 2004.
(d) February 5, 2004.
Short Answer Questions
1. Quintana was a patient at Beth Israel Medical Center's Singer Division, when did that hospital close?
2. How many nights had Quintana spent in the hospital between December 2003 and January 2004?
3. How did John's father die?
4. Who wrote the book John was reading the night he died?
5. What day was Quintana taken to the hospital emergency room toward the end of 2003?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)