|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Joan begin writing the book, "The Year of Magical Thinking"?
(a) October 4, 2004.
(b) August 18, 2004.
(c) December 30, 2004.
(d) November 14, 2004.
2. When did Joan interview people in Honolulu about December 7, 1941?
3. How many widowers were studied in the United Kingdom, according to a report in "The Lancet"?
(a) 4,486 widowers.
(b) 2,124 widowers.
(c) 3,489 widowers.
(d) 5,642 widowers.
4. What Matthew Arnold poem did Joan mention reading in Chapter 4?
(a) A Dream.
(b) The Buried Life.
(c) Dover Beach.
(d) The Forsaken Merman.
5. What was Quintana's temperature the first time she went to the emergency room?
6. Who wrote "A Grief Observed"?
(a) Elisabeth Kubler-Ross.
(b) C.S. Lewis.
(c) Martha Whitmore.
(d) H. Norman Wright.
7. What book did Joan buy, but have difficult deciphering the language?
(a) High-Yield Neuroanatomy.
(b) The Clinical Practice of Neurological and Neurosurgical Nursing.
(c) Clinical Neuroanatomy.
(d) Neuroanatomy Through Clinical Cases.
8. How often did Joan and John walk?
(a) Three or four times a week.
(b) Every morning.
(c) A couple times a week.
(d) Every afternoon.
9. Who cleaned the blood on the living room floor after John died?
10. What was the name of the book John was reading the night he died?
(a) The Proud Tower: A Portrait of the World Before the War.
(b) The Pity of War Explaining World War I.
(c) Europe's Last Summer: Who Started the Great War of 1914?
(d) The Long Fuse: An Interpretation of the Origins of World War I.
11. Who wrote the book John was reading the night he died?
(a) Martin Nighly.
(b) Bryant Gillian.
(c) Paul Newcomber.
(d) David Fromkin.
12. What was the date of John and Joan's wedding?
(a) April 12, 1965.
(b) January 30, 1964.
(c) March 15, 1965.
(d) June 29, 1964.
13. Quintana was a patient at Beth Israel Medical Center's Singer Division, when did that hospital close?
(a) August 2004.
(b) July 2005.
(c) May 2005.
(d) September 2004.
14. When did Joan interview Teresa Heinz Kerry?
(a) Shortly after her daughter's death.
(b) During the 2000 campaign.
(c) Shortly after her husband's death.
(d) During the 2004 campaign.
15. When were the 2004 Academy Awards held?
(a) February 29.
(b) March 11.
(c) February 18.
(d) March 4.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Joan wish she could use to record the memories that she included in the book rather than writing about them?
2. Where did Quintana get the Canyon Ranch T-shirt that John usually wore when he went walking?
3. What was Joan watching when she first noticed the vortex effect?
4. When did John have a pacemaker implanted?
5. What radio station did Joan listen to when she lived in California?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)