|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote the book John was reading the night he died?
(a) Paul Newcomber.
(b) David Fromkin.
(c) Bryant Gillian.
(d) Martin Nighly.
2. What book did Joan read that made her realize the significance of things she was told about Quintana's condition in California?
(a) How We Live.
(b) The Soul of Medicine.
(c) The Art of Aging.
(d) How We Die.
3. Where did Quintana get the Canyon Ranch T-shirt that John usually wore when he went walking?
(c) New Mexico.
4. When did John die?
(a) October 27, 2003.
(b) November 15, 2003.
(c) December 30, 2003.
(d) September 19, 2003.
5. What was the date on the computer file that contained the first few lines that Joan wrote after her husband's death?
(a) May 20, 2004.
(b) April 12, 2004.
(c) January 4, 2004.
(d) March 13, 2004.
6. When did Joan begin writing the book, "The Year of Magical Thinking"?
(a) October 4, 2004.
(b) December 30, 2004.
(c) August 18, 2004.
(d) November 14, 2004.
7. What book did Joan buy, but have difficult deciphering the language?
(a) The Clinical Practice of Neurological and Neurosurgical Nursing.
(b) High-Yield Neuroanatomy.
(c) Neuroanatomy Through Clinical Cases.
(d) Clinical Neuroanatomy.
8. What was Joan's occupation?
9. What was Quintana's temperature the first time she went to the emergency room?
10. Where was John's cardiologist when John died?
(b) Cape Cod.
(c) Martha's Vineyard.
11. Who did Joan work for when she was in her twenties?
(b) Harper's Bazaar.
(c) Ladies Home Journal.
(d) Good Housekeeping.
12. How many paramedics did Joan think came when she called for an ambulance?
(a) 4 paramedics.
(b) 5 paramedics.
(c) 3-4 paramedics.
(d) 1-2 paramedics.
13. What did Joan wear to her wedding?
(a) A long white dress.
(b) A short white silk dress.
(c) A cream colored dress.
(d) A white suit.
14. What poet did John's brother Nick read at the funeral?
15. How many widowers were studied in the United Kingdom, according to a report in "The Lancet"?
(a) 5,642 widowers.
(b) 2,124 widowers.
(c) 4,486 widowers.
(d) 3,489 widowers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much did the drug cost that Quintana was given to treat her sepsis?
2. When did Joan interview Teresa Heinz Kerry?
3. What color were John's eyes?
4. After John's death, which of John's novels did Joan realize was about grief?
5. What did Joan wish she could use to record the memories that she included in the book rather than writing about them?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)