|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Joan watching when she first noticed the vortex effect?
(a) Ice floes.
(c) Icicles dripping.
2. Where did John take Quintana so Joan could finish her first column for "Life"?
(a) Out to eat.
(b) A playground.
(c) Honolulu Zoo.
(d) Waikiki Aquarium.
3. How old was Quintana when Joan wrote a book that told about a woman whose abortion was paid for by the district attorney's office?
(a) 5 years old.
(b) 4 years old.
(c) 2 years old.
(d) 3 years old
4. What illness sent Quintana to the emergency room in December 2003?
(b) Strep throat.
5. On what floor of the hospital was the ICU located where Quintana was a patient when John died?
(a) 8th floor.
(b) 6th floor.
(c) 4th floor.
(d) 3rd floor.
6. What was the date when Quintana was told her father died?
(a) January 2, 2004.
(b) February 3, 2004.
(c) December 31, 2004.
(d) January 15, 2004.
7. Before Quintana became ill, where had she and her husband planned to spend Christmas night and a few days?
8. What book did Joan read that made her realize the significance of things she was told about Quintana's condition in California?
(a) The Art of Aging.
(b) How We Die.
(c) The Soul of Medicine.
(d) How We Live.
9. What poet did John's brother Nick read at the funeral?
10. How many nights had Quintana spent in the hospital between December 2003 and January 2004?
(a) 24 nights.
(b) 15 nights.
(c) 21 nights.
(d) 18 nights.
11. Who was the elevator man who amused himself with John in the elevator with a small verbal game?
(a) Albert Mueller.
(b) Manuel Lopez.
(c) Michael Flynn.
(d) Vasile Ionescu.
12. What day of the week did John die?
13. What type of clothing did Joan buy to wear in Los Angeles?
(a) Blue scrubs.
(b) Sleeveless dresses.
(c) Shorts and capris.
(d) Short sleeve blouses.
14. Where did Quintana get the Canyon Ranch T-shirt that John usually wore when he went walking?
(d) New Mexico.
15. What was the date on the computer file that contained the first few lines that Joan wrote after her husband's death?
(a) March 13, 2004.
(b) May 20, 2004.
(c) January 4, 2004.
(d) April 12, 2004.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Joan begin writing the book, "The Year of Magical Thinking"?
2. How much did it cost in the late 1960's to fly from Los Angeles to San Francisco or Sacramento or San Jose for a round trip flight?
3. Who cleaned the blood on the living room floor after John died?
4. What color were John's eyes?
5. What radio station did Joan listen to when she lived in California?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)