|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What day was Quintana taken to the hospital emergency room toward the end of 2003?
(a) November 15.
(b) December 25.
(c) December 18.
(d) November 30.
2. Who said that the act of grieving "Involves grave departures from the normal attitude to life"?
3. When did Joan first notice what she called the "vortex" effect?
4. When Quintana was in the ICU at UCLA, what program did Joan listen to on the radio?
(a) Morning Becomes Eclectic.
(b) All Things Considered.
(c) All Songs Considered.
(d) From the Top.
5. What word did Joan consider adding in the phrase, "Life changes in the instant"?
6. Who wrote "Mourning and Its Relation to Manic-Depressive States"?
(a) Melanie Klein.
(b) Martin Andrews.
(c) Peter Phillips.
(d) Bridget Davidson.
7. When did John have a pacemaker implanted?
(a) September 2002.
(b) April 2003.
(c) June 2003.
(d) November 2002.
8. What was Joan's occupation?
9. When were the 2004 Academy Awards held?
(a) February 18.
(b) March 11.
(c) February 29.
(d) March 4.
10. After John's death, which of John's novels did Joan realize was about grief?
(a) The Studio.
(b) Dutch Shea, Jr.
(d) Nothing Lost.
11. What Matthew Arnold poem did Joan mention reading in Chapter 4?
(a) The Forsaken Merman.
(b) The Buried Life.
(c) Dover Beach.
(d) A Dream.
12. What color were John's eyes?
13. What book did Joan read that made her realize the significance of things she was told about Quintana's condition in California?
(a) How We Live.
(b) The Soul of Medicine.
(c) The Art of Aging.
(d) How We Die.
14. How long after John's death was his funeral held?
(a) 2 months.
(b) 4 months.
(c) 1 month.
(d) 3 months.
15. On what floor of the hospital was the ICU located where Quintana was a patient when John died?
(a) 3rd floor.
(b) 4th floor.
(c) 8th floor.
(d) 6th floor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did John take Quintana so Joan could finish her first column for "Life"?
2. What instrument was played at John's funeral?
3. What type of ATM card did John have in his pocket when he died?
4. How many days after her husband's death did Joan write a few lines about the way life changes in an instant?
5. How old was Joan's mother when she was near death?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)