|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Thornton Wilder cited an unnamed writer of sonnets as saying only one line drops from where?
(a) The ceiling.
(b) A chicken.
(c) A whisper in the ear.
(d) A hammer.
2. Why was Dillard's finger in pain at times as she wrote in the university office in Virginia?
(a) She had a clothespin stuck to her finger until the water boiled.
(b) Her fingers cramped up from writing for so long.
(c) She spilled hot water on her fingers once in a while.
(d) She got paper cuts.
3. Who is the Danish aristocrat mentioned in Chapter 2?
(a) Sverre Magnus.
(b) Osip Mandelstam.
(c) Wallace Stevens.
(d) Wilhelm Dinesen.
4. Who is the main character in a story told by Ernest Thompson Seton?
(a) An Eskimo man.
(b) A fisherman.
(c) An Algonquin woman.
(d) A Native American woman.
5. Which poem did Dillard often read aloud?
(a) Sea Hollly.
(b) The Comet.
(c) The Tower.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dillard say shocked her as she remembered a formal lunch with a publishing colleague in Chapter 2?
2. What was the only thing Rahm told Dillard about his flying?
3. Why did Dillard momentarily feel she must quit writing in Chapter 3?
4. How did a well-known writer respond to a student in Chapter 5 who asked if he could be a writer?
5. What does Dillard say that the printed word cannot compete with?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)