|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dillard say that the printed word cannot compete with?
(d) The movies.
2. Where does the "line of words" go at the end of Chapter 1?
(a) To Venus.
(b) To the sun.
(c) To Houston, Texas.
(d) Out past Jupiter.
3. What did an inchworm search for in a panic in Chapter 1?
(a) A caterpillar.
(b) Its front legs.
(c) The next part of a blade of grass it was climbing.
(d) A way in which to lift its hind legs to its front legs.
4. What happened in Bridgeport, Connecticut one morning in April, 1987?
(a) A writer was killed.
(b) A Rabbi went to prayers.
(c) The author sustained a hairline fracture.
(d) A building collapsed.
5. Who is the main character in a story told by Ernest Thompson Seton?
(a) A fisherman.
(b) A Native American woman.
(c) An Algonquin woman.
(d) An Eskimo man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do experienced writers urge young men and women to learn, according to Chapter 1?
2. What does Dillard say that she feels a writer must do about feeling one's work in progress is either magnificent or abominable?
3. What does Dillard say many people prefer to the written word?
4. What question does Dillard say a writer must ask when considering random scenes that come to mind?
5. How did Washington writer, Charlie Butts, write fiction in order to gain momentum?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)