|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do some stunt pilots do to ready themselves to fly?
(a) Wear gravity boots.
(b) Go on roller coasters.
(c) Observe bats.
(d) Pay attention to lighting.
2. What did Frederick Buechner note about an author realizing that he is actually writing?
(a) The wood must be split and fired.
(b) It must go on once it is noticed.
(c) The writer should revise what was written.
(d) It calls for a break or celebration.
3. Who once said, "Which is the work in which he hasn't surrendered, under dire difficulty, the best thing he meant to have kept"?
(a) William Shakespeare.
(b) Henry James.
(c) William Faulkner.
(d) Annie Dillard.
4. When Dillard is watching symbols move on her monitor, which sends back numbers to her, what is it her job to do?
(a) Stop immediately.
(b) Translate the numbers.
(c) Hold her breath.
(d) Go for a drive.
5. What did Dillard ask Rahm to do when taking off from Stuart Island?
(a) A pirouette.
(b) A flat spin.
(c) A hammerhead.
(d) A barrel roll.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Dillard notice most in the Washington cabin she wrote in?
2. What two problems does Dillard say she feels that a writer must solve when writing a book?
3. Which insect is discussed in the book as part of an entomological experiment?
4. According to Glenn's story, what was Ferrar after in the water?
5. What did Dillard find herself doing in the rare book room nearly every day for about two weeks?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)