|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Dillard, what kind of life is a life of sensation?
(a) A good life.
(b) A life of spirit.
(c) A life of greed.
(d) A life spent reading.
2. What ended the chess game for Dillard in Chapter 2?
(a) The custodian wished to stop playing.
(b) She finished writing her book.
(c) The baby went home.
(d) The opponent scrambled the board up completely.
3. What did Wallace Stevens dictate to his secretary?
(a) Editorial essays.
(c) Orders for lunch.
4. What did an inchworm search for in a panic in Chapter 1?
(a) Its front legs.
(b) A way in which to lift its hind legs to its front legs.
(c) The next part of a blade of grass it was climbing.
(d) A caterpillar.
5. When Dillard once wrote in a cinder-block cell, what scene did it overlook?
(a) A strip mall.
(b) A tar-and-gravel roof.
(d) Cape Cod bay.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dillard say that she feels a writer must do about feeling one's work in progress is either magnificent or abominable?
2. How many hours of sleep would Jack London usually get?
3. What sport did Dillard play with a boys' music camp?
4. Who is the main character in a story told by Ernest Thompson Seton?
5. When a writer is stuck while writing a book, what does Dillard think he should do?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)