|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 4, 5 and 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book was Dillard working on in Roanoke, Virginia?
(a) Living by Fiction.
(b) Pilgrim at Tinker Creek.
(c) Holy the Firm.
(d) An American Childhood.
2. Where does Dillard say she wound up putting her pen drawing in Chapter 2?
(a) Taped to the venetian blinds.
(b) On the wall of the library.
(c) On her kitchen fridge.
(d) Between the pages of her novel.
3. What, according to Dillard, is the first thing a writer does that is similar to what a painter does?
(a) Ignores the first faint marks on the canvas or page.
(b) Shapes a vision of the world.
(c) Shapes the vision of the work.
(d) Brings the vision of the work to light.
4. How did a well-known writer respond to a student in Chapter 5 who asked if he could be a writer?
(a) Have you taken my course?
(b) Do you have imagination?
(c) Do you like sentences?
(d) What do you know about the world?
5. How many hours of sleep would Jack London usually get?
Short Answer Questions
1. Jack London maintained that every writer needs a technique, experience, and what else?
2. What did Dillard notice most in the Washington cabin she wrote in?
3. How did Dillard's sentence ('He led him into the water') from the book she was working on during a northeaster sound to her?
4. Why did Dillard momentarily feel she must quit writing in Chapter 3?
5. What does Dillard say she believes poets and novelists like?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)