|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 4, 5 and 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dillard describe as 'a net for catching days' in Chapter 2?
(b) A journal.
(d) A schedule.
2. Why does it make more sense to write one big book rather than a collection of stories or essays, in Dillard's opinion?
(a) It does not take as long to write one big book.
(b) There is more money to be made with a book.
(c) A cast of characters is easier to work with.
(d) You can fit all you possess into a long project.
3. Where did Dillard forget about a boiling teakettle and burn it?
(a) An office in a college.
(b) Her kitchen.
(c) A faculty lounge in a university.
(d) A cabin on Puget Sound.
4. What is the title of the Jack London book mentioned in Chapter 2?
(a) The Call of the Wild.
(b) White Fang.
(c) The Iron Heel.
(d) The Sea-Wolf.
5. What does Dillard say that she thinks an artist supposes a live image to possess?
(a) A secret to be discovered.
(b) Something he should pretend to know.
(c) A confused set of lines.
(d) Some technique stolen from him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which author would walk through the hills for seven or eight hours on end without a hint of fatigue?
2. With what type of aid did Dillard once work in order to keep a project organized?
3. Who did Dillard see standing at the chess table in the Roanoke library one night?
4. Whose poetry did Dillard usually read aloud when on a break?
5. Why was Dillard's finger in pain at times as she wrote in the university office in Virginia?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)