|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Wright brothers do on sunny days at Kill Devil Hills?
(a) Flew the 1904 glider.
(b) Flew the 1902 glider.
(c) Flew the 1903 glider.
(d) Flew the 1906 glider.
2. What would need to be done to solve the problem of the awry flights?
(a) Have wheels instead of skids for landing.
(b) Put the pilot on the top wing.
(c) Make the wind lighter.
(d) Make the tail movable.
3. How fast was the plane for the U.S. Signal Corp made by the Wright brothers supposed to fly?
(a) 60 mph minimum.
(b) 40 mph minimum.
(c) 50 mph minimum.
(d) 100 mph minimum.
4. What happened during the two times reporters came to see the Wright brothers fly?
(a) The plane crash.
(b) The journalist asked for a free tour to write a story.
(c) One of the journalists was killed.
(d) The plane did not take off.
5. How many of the Wrights' flights went awry with their largest glider?
(a) 1 in 25.
(b) 1 in 500.
(c) 1 in 50.
(d) 5 in 50.
Short Answer Questions
1. What characteristics did the Wright brothers want for their engine?
2. How did the Wright brothers contact their family member at the end of Chapter 6?
3. What was the contract between the U.S. Signal Corp and the Wright brothers for?
4. Why would the flyer not be considered a practical plane?
5. How long after Lilienthal's fatal accident did the Wright brothers fly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Katherine write to her father?
2. What did Wilbur write to manufacturers about?
3. What problems did the brothers encounter?
4. What did Orville figure out while lying in bed one night?
5. What was clear about the Wright Flyer being considered a practical airplane?
6. What happened on November 9?
7. What was the Wright Flyer III declared?
8. What happened for the first time at the end of May?
9. What made Wilbur an international celebrity?
10. What did Wilbur and Orville send a telegram about to their father?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)