|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Wilbur write a letter to the Smithsonian asking for information about flight?
2. When did Lilienthal die?
3. Where was Orville born?
4. When was Wilbur born?
5. What did Orville and Wilbur do together as children according to Chapter 2?
(d) Chase girls.
6. Where was Wilbur born?
(c) New York.
7. When did the Benedictine monk Eilmer live?
(a) 11th century.
(b) 12th century.
(c) 14th century.
(d) 13th century.
8. What did the Wright brothers have in common in adulthood?
(a) They were both blonde with blue eyes.
(b) They didn't drink, smoke or get married.
(c) They both liked the same kind of music.
(d) They were attracted to the same kind of women.
9. Where is Kitty Hawk located?
(a) South Carolina.
(b) North Carolina.
(d) New York.
10. When was the first bridge across the Missouri built?
11. What did the Lilienthal glider look like?
(a) Owl wings.
(b) Sparrow wings.
(c) Bat wings.
(d) Falcon wings.
12. Who did Wilbur contact to get information to choose a test location?
(a) The U.S. Coast Guard.
(b) U.S. War Department.
(c) Dr. Langley.
(d) U.S. Weather Bureau.
13. How did the pilot steer the plane?
(a) Face down on the lower wing.
(b) Laying down on the upper wing.
(c) Sitting on the upper wing.
(d) Sitting on the lower wing.
14. What part of flight were the Wright brothers surprised was not paid attention to?
(b) Control and balance.
(c) Radio transmissions.
15. What was Samuel Langley the head of?
(a) The US War Department.
(b) The U.S. travel department.
(c) The U.S. Post Office.
(d) The Smithsonian Insitution.
Short Answer Questions
1. What toy inspired the Wright brothers in flight?
2. How fast was the wind at Kitty Hawk?
3. What were Icarus' wings made of?
4. Where was the plane built?
5. What was Lilienthal referred to as according to Chapter 3?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)