|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The government in Algeria expects people to work hard so who will profit?
(a) The bourgeoisie
(b) The country
(c) The intellectual elites
(d) The colonial power
2. The second phase in the rediscovery of native culture is marked by what?
(a) Learning the colonial culture
(b) A break from the colonial culture
(c) A cooptation of colonial culture
(d) A demonstration that the colonial culture has been learned
3. Fanon suggests that blacks across the globe are seeking what?
(a) A return of colonial culture
(b) A single common identity
(c) Their own cultural tradition
(d) Colonial rule
4. Fanon proposes that programs and services for youth be attached to what department?
(a) Ministry of Commerce
(b) Ministry of Culture
(c) Ministry of Labor
(d) Ministry of Defense
5. What word does not describe the rediscovered native culture?
(c) Violent in expression
6. There can be no hope for the spread of African culture devoid of the struggle for what?
(a) Western influence
(b) Greater power
(c) Utopian societies
(d) Liberation from colonialism
7. What country installed a fascist government after its revolution?
(d) Puerto Rico
8. The search for an authentic Arab identify found its political articulation in what?
(a) The UN
(b) The European Union
(c) The Arab League
9. What type of music was a reaction to colonialism after WWII?
10. Why does the national party begin to disintegrate?
(a) The colonial power forces it to
(b) It is no longer needed
(c) It becomes too much like the colonial power
(d) It is cut off from the people
11. Colonialism has infused the native culture with what?
(a) Distrust of anything new
(b) The culture of other native groups
(c) The culture of the colonial country
(d) Fear of the past
12. The post-colonial middle class begins to act as what?
(b) Tourist guides
(c) TV personalities
(d) Revolutionary leaders
13. How should the post-colonial nation avoid the open hostility between the masses and those in power?
(a) Supress the masses
(b) Bypass the rise of the bourgeoisie
(c) Leave the colonial power in control
(d) Give the power to the bourgeoisie
14. Fanon says that the leaders of the party in an underdeveloped country should live where?
(a) The ghetto fringe
(b) The country
(c) The suburbs
(d) The cities
15. How do the colonialists respond to the first demands for equality and dignity?
(b) Feigned deep concern
(c) Concern about preventing massacres
(d) Relief that the natives want self-rule
Short Answer Questions
1. The rediscovered native culture is often what?
2. In the building of the new democracy, no one will be able to escape what?
3. The colonial middle class lacks what?
4. The resuscitation of the native culture helps to rekindle what?
5. The native artist or writer discovers that their true vocation is to do what?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)