|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Fanon suggests that blacks across the globe are seeking what?
(a) Colonial rule
(b) Their own cultural tradition
(c) A single common identity
(d) A return of colonial culture
2. Fanon suggests that American blacks had little in common with blacks from places like the Congo except for what?
(a) Their economic status
(b) Their relation with whites
(c) Their slave status
(d) Their culture
3. What becomes an authoritarian bureaucracy to pass directives from top to bottom?
(a) The colonial power
(b) The middle class
(c) The national political party
(d) The rural peasants
4. Every project undertaken by the government must respond to what?
(a) Staying out of international trouble
(b) Building up capitalism
(c) A real need of the people
(d) Reducing crime
5. The post-colonial middle class expects to serve as the intermediary between which two groups?
(a) Natives and the new colonial power
(b) International corporations and the native population
(c) The UN and the native population
(d) International corporations and the colonial power
6. Why does the national party begin to disintegrate?
(a) It becomes too much like the colonial power
(b) The colonial power forces it to
(c) It is cut off from the people
(d) It is no longer needed
7. How many marked phases of development are there for native poets and writers, according to Fanon?
8. What remains after colonialism ends?
(a) Loyalty to the colonial power
(b) The disparities of wealth
(c) National unity and equality
(d) Revolutionary violence
9. As the rebellion energizes the natives, they have to find new forms of what type of expression?
10. What does the middle class seek at any cost to avoid?
11. Fanon proposes that programs and services for youth be attached to what department?
(a) Ministry of Labor
(b) Ministry of Commerce
(c) Ministry of Defense
(d) Ministry of Culture
12. The new middle class that occurs is what, according to Fanon?
(b) Unhappy with their position
(d) Loyal to the colonialists
13. What is it important for those who are about to throw off colonialism to realize?
(a) Their forbears did the best they could to resist colonialism
(b) The colonial power will never be fully defeated
(c) The colonial power will regroup and be back
(d) Their forbears gave up in the fight
14. Modern Arabs cannot revive what?
(a) Cultural writings
(b) National consciousness
(c) Ancient trade routes
(d) Religious rituals
15. In the third phase of the rediscovery of native culture, the native artists attempts to do what?
(a) Have others abandon the native culture
(b) Rouse others to fight the enemy
(c) Use the colonial culture
(d) Emmigrate from the country
Short Answer Questions
1. The post-colonial middle class has no understanding of what?
2. What type of music was a reaction to colonialism after WWII?
3. In the post-colonial world, citizens should be less concerned with royalty and more concerned with what, according to Fanon?
4. An artistic renaissance often must be preceded by what?
5. There can be no hope for the spread of African culture devoid of the struggle for what?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)