|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The post-colonial middle class has no understanding of what?
(c) Social movements
2. The leader seeks to consolidate his power in what?
(a) A dictatorship
(c) A democracy
3. The authentic artist hopes to create something of value for whom?
(a) His countrymen
(d) The intellectual elite
4. What type of music was a reaction to colonialism after WWII?
5. What is the only path to unity according to Fanon?
(a) The growth of naitve-on-native violence
(b) The coordinated push of the people to reach their goals
(c) The acceptance of the colonial power by the natives
(d) The voluntary exit of the colonial group from the rural areas
6. Fanon argues that the national unity may disintegrate into what type of conflicts?
7. Why does the bourgeoisie demand the nationalization of the economy?
(a) For the good of all the people
(b) To help the poor, rural peasants out of feudalism
(c) To strengthen the national consciousness
(d) To benefit from the corruption of the past regime
8. What does the middle class demand from the farm workers?
(a) More dedication to the colonial power
(b) More work and output
(c) More sacrifice for the nation
(d) More revolutionary feelings
9. In the building of the new democracy, no one will be able to escape what?
10. The second phase in the rediscovery of native culture is marked by what?
(a) A break from the colonial culture
(b) Learning the colonial culture
(c) A cooptation of colonial culture
(d) A demonstration that the colonial culture has been learned
11. The government in Algeria expects people to work hard so who will profit?
(a) The colonial power
(b) The bourgeoisie
(c) The intellectual elites
(d) The country
12. Fanon suggests that the post-colonial government needs to be most concerned with what?
(a) Its own profit
(b) Perpetuating the nation
(c) Reducing crime
(d) The empowerment of its citizens
13. When farmland in Algeria was turned over to farm workers, how much did the output increase?
(a) It decreased by ten percent
(c) It stayed the same
14. The new middle class that occurs is what, according to Fanon?
(b) Loyal to the colonialists
(d) Unhappy with their position
15. Fanon proposes that programs and services for youth be attached to what department?
(a) Ministry of Culture
(b) Ministry of Commerce
(c) Ministry of Defense
(d) Ministry of Labor
Short Answer Questions
1. Although former colonies have a potential unity, they also have what?
2. The colonial power treats the natives as what?
3. The post-colonial middle class expects to serve as the intermediary between which two groups?
4. What is it important for those who are about to throw off colonialism to realize?
5. What the former colonized groups have in common is overshadowed by different what?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)