|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What form of Buddhism flourishes in Japan?
2. What Huston Smith says the book is not.
3. What is the irony of Buddhism and India?
4. What physical exercise was developed by Taoists?
5. What is the Hindu attitude toward other religions?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe in one sentence the basic tenet of Hinduism.
2. In what way is Buddhism a religion of introspection?
3. Describe Religious Taoism and how it accommodated the esoteric.
4. Explain how Huston Smith made his arbitrary decisions about what to include in his book.
5. Simply stated, how do the three approaches to Taoism come together?
6. Explain dharma and sangha and their relationship to Buddhist monks.
7. In two sentences, describe what is known about Lao Tzu.
8. What is the usefulness of practicing karma yoga?
9. When did Confucius begin his mission of teaching the people?
10. What was the political condition in China as Confucius began his teaching?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the effects on the Chinese culture from both Confucianism and Taoism. Give specific examples of cultural practices that exist because of these teachings. Compare them to the effects of the Protestant ethic on the United States of America.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay expressing your opinion about the importance of religious tolerance. In your essay describe how you see the world changing if everyone accepted total freedom of choice among religions.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay comparing Buddhism and Protestantism as movements to reform ecclesiastical excesses. In the essay contrast the methods used to bring about the reforms.
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)