|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is credited as the originator of Taoism?
2. Why is the question of "is this all" relevant to Hinduism?
3. What seems to be the appeal bhakti yoga?
4. What does the Hindu say would happen if the divine base of everything is removed?
5. What is dharma?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is Buddhism a religion of introspection?
2. In what way does Taoism seem to have fragmented?
3. Explain something about the Atman.
4. Simply stated, how do the three approaches to Taoism come together?
5. Explain how Huston Smith compares his book to other survey studies.
6. How does Taoism look at the weak and the deformed?
7. What was the political condition in China as Confucius began his teaching?
8. Why is there so much emphasis on self-examination in Buddhism?
9. Describe briefly the character of Confucius.
10. How did Siddhartha react to any effort to elevate him to god stature?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the effects on the Chinese culture from both Confucianism and Taoism. Give specific examples of cultural practices that exist because of these teachings. Compare them to the effects of the Protestant ethic on the United States of America.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about religious viewpoints on sin. In your essay be sure to refer to the way the Buddha perceived sin. Also discuss sin as presented to the Israelites in the form of the Ten Commandments.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on religious symbolism important to the American Indian. This will require a little research in the library or on the internet. In the essay discuss the power of symbols to preserve religion and culture.
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)