|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the major contribution to religion of the Israelite people?
2. Why does Huston Smith not discuss a comparison of religions as to superiority?
(a) He says there is no way to do it.
(b) He says that would take volumes instead of a single book.
(c) He says there is nothing to be gained by doing so.
(d) He says it would be too objective.
3. What is the contribution of the Torah and the Talmud?
(a) Preservation of art and literature
(b) Important confirmation of secular histories
(c) Perpetuating Jewish history and language
(d) Great museum pieces
4. What is the function exclusive to the shaman in primal religion?
(a) To teach the youth about tribal traditions
(b) To bypass symbolism and go directly to the spiritual source
(c) To deal only with evil spirits
(d) To make symbols for the tribe to see but not understand
5. What is wrong with science questioning religion's ability to answer questions of ultimate reality?
(a) Science has facts to work with.
(b) Science cannot find a cure for the common cold.
(c) Science is not concerned with it.
(d) Science has also been unable to answer those questions.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what point did Jesus' followers begin to accept him as God in human form?
2. What practice does the Eastern church encourage more so than the Roman church?
3. What was a major contribution of Muslim scholars?
4. What are the three areas of mysticism in Sufism?
5. What was the scratched drawing that came to identify Christians with the Good News?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is it exact to say that primal religions are all polytheistic?
2. Identify the four major sects of the Jews during the life of Jesus.
3. What is the current condition among the primal religions?
4. What is the unique characteristic of primal oral religions?
5. How did Judaism portray the relationship between God and man?
6. What part does ritual play for Jewish people?
7. Define the major difference between the Roman Catholic church and Eastern Orthodoxy.
8. How is Taoism often viewed by Westerners?
9. How did the Jews profess to find meaning for life?
10. What is the divergent ideas over the Jews as God's elect people today?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)