|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What practice does the Eastern church encourage more so than the Roman church?
(a) Establishing religious orders
(b) Marriage as a sacrement
(c) Venerating the Virgin
2. Where did Muhammad make his most converts early on?
(a) In Mecca
(b) In Medina
(c) In Cairo
(d) In Jerusalem
3. Where did the mystical body of Christ come into being?
(a) In the house of Peter
(b) In the upper room
(c) In the synagogue
(d) In the temple
4. What is the Jewish view of the God-man relationship?
(a) God is only as eternal as long as man lives.
(b) God will not see the evil in man, his creation.
(c) Man is the creator of God who in turn created the world.
(d) Man is subject to temptation but God yearns for his soul.
5. Why do primal religions defy any form of literature?
(a) Human memory is at the very heart of the religion itself.
(b) Traditionally the story tellers must be illiterate.
(c) It is impossible to transcribe the sounds accompanying primal tales.
(d) Writing stories changes the meaning behind the words.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Jewish people view their traditions?
2. How does Islam nail down the actions of humans?
3. What concept in Judaism changed the way God is perceived?
4. What knowledge does religion offer that pure science does not?
5. What two things became most important after Rome destroyed the temple in Jerusalem?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the current condition among the primal religions?
2. What was Muhammad's greatest contribution to the Muslim people?
3. What impact did Jewish history make on the world?
4. What summarizes the mystery of the church?
5. What is the best question that should be asked about religion?
6. Why does Huston Smith not go into any kind of comparison of the religions he writes about in the book?
7. What does Huston Smith see as the only possible solution for the world today?
8. Is it exact to say that primal religions are all polytheistic?
9. Discuss briefly the economics of Islam.
10. Define the major difference between the Roman Catholic church and Eastern Orthodoxy.
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)