|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Confucius stress about the elderly?
(a) They should be forgotten.
(b) They should be euthanized.
(c) They should be venerated.
(d) They should be isolated.
2. What is the Zen koan?
(a) The elaborate tea ceremony with its slow and graceful movements
(b) Private consultation with a master
(c) Sitting in meditation for long hours
(d) Problems like the classic "What is the sound of one hand clapping?"
3. What is the purpose of the Tao senses?
(a) Perfecting the te or power as it vitalizes the human being
(b) Making judgments
(c) Making an honest living
(d) Waking up to reality
4. What did the Buddha think about religious rituals?
(a) He ridiculed rites as mere superstitions.
(b) He thought they had been neglected.
(c) He taught they were necessary exercises.
(d) He invented new ones for his day.
5. How might the rise of Buddhism be compared to the Protestant Reformation?
(a) It started because people could not read.
(b) It started by Siddhartha nailing theses to a temple door.
(c) It was a reaction to the excesses of the Hinduism of the day.
(d) It started as a rebellion against a human head of religion.
6. What do the guidelines for right conduct in Buddhism resemble?
(a) The Pledge of Allegiance
(b) The Bill of Rights
(c) The Ten Commandments
(d) The Boy Scout Code
7. What is the idea behind karma yoga as work?
(a) Work becomes habit which frees the mind for enjoyment.
(b) Work keeps you centered on self.
(c) By concentrating on work with a kind of detachment, there is no time for selfishness.
(d) You get what you work for.
8. What was the conflicting idea of Mohism during Confucius' time?
(a) Mohism taught social order through love alone.
(b) Mohism taught that there was no God.
(c) Mohism taught communal living as the answer.
(d) Mohism taught that no laws are needed.
9. Why is the last name spoken first when addressing someone in China?
(a) Because Chinese think it is impolite to use only first names
(b) Because they read from right to left
(c) Because the family name might be forgotten
(d) Because of the emphasis on the family over the individual
10. How does the yogi eliminate distractions of the mind during raja yoga?
(a) The yogi concentrates on reading.
(b) The yogi puts cotton in his ears.
(c) The yogi concentrates on one thing to the exclusion of all others.
(d) The yogi lies flat of his back.
11. How do Hindus tend to look at Sikhs?
(a) Hindus tend to look at Sikhs as wayward Hindus.
(b) Hindus tend to look at Sikhs as morally superior.
(c) Hindus tend to look at Sikhs as lost sould.
(d) Hindus tend to look at Sikhs as beggars.
12. How did the followers of the Buddha categorize his teachings?
(a) As a religion of sacrifice
(b) As a religion of suffering
(c) As a religion of regulations
(d) As a religion of infinite compassion
13. In the caste system, who receives the greatest punishment for wrong doing?
(a) The sin of monks, the greater the punishment for a sin or crime.
(b) The lower the caste, the greater the punishment for a sin or crime.
(c) Among the working class, the greater the punishment for a sin or crime.
(d) The higher the caste, the greater the punishment for a sin or crime.
14. What is the main departure of Tibetan Buddhism?
(a) Prayer wheels and magic bells
(b) Doing away with monks' robes
(c) No begging for food
(d) It enables achieving nirvana within a single lifetime.
15. What type of yoga approaches religion on the basis of work?
(a) Atman yoga
(b) Raja yoga
(c) Karma yoga
(d) Sannyasin yoga
Short Answer Questions
1. What position did the Realists hold about society that needed harsh laws?
2. What happened to Confucius texts?
3. What is more or less the same in all forms of Buddhism?
4. What is the viewpoint of the Theravada Buddhist?
5. What is the real idea behind the three Taoist senses?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)