Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How has the Western mind often viewed the Path of Renunciation?
(a) As the ultimate comparison to Christianity
(b) As a life-denying spoilsport
(c) As an example of good ethics
(d) As the best Hinduism has to offer
2. What is Confucius' trinity?
(a) Father, Son, and Holy Spirit
(b) Man, Heaven, and Earth
(c) Fire, Wind, and Water
(d) Servants, Kings, and God
3. How might the rise of Buddhism be compared to the Protestant Reformation?
(a) It was a reaction to the excesses of the Hinduism of the day.
(b) It started as a rebellion against a human head of religion.
(c) It started because people could not read.
(d) It started by Siddhartha nailing theses to a temple door.
4. What was the subject matter of the Buddha's first sermon?
(a) The Wheel of Fortune
(b) The Way to Enlightenment
(c) The Eight-fold Path
(d) The Four Nobel Truths
5. What is dharma?
(a) An obstacle to reaching nirvana
(b) The means of crossing the river of ignorance
(c) The Buddhist equivalent of karma
(d) A group of monks
6. After pleasure seeking, what does Hinduism see as the next major life goal?
(a) Travel and culture
(b) Worldly success
(c) Overcoming illness
(d) Spiritual enlightenment
7. What kind of people are suited to practice Jnana yoga ?
(a) Those who already know everything there is to know.
(b) Those who have a spiritual bent and are highly reflective in their thought.
(c) Those who are too weak to do heavy exercise.
(d) Those who want to increase their circulation.
8. Why is the last name spoken first when addressing someone in China?
(a) Because Chinese think it is impolite to use only first names
(b) Because of the emphasis on the family over the individual
(c) Because they read from right to left
(d) Because the family name might be forgotten
9. What are the Hindu stages of life?
(a) Birth, separation, retirement, death
(b) Student, marriage, retirement, detachment
(c) Fetus, birth, education, work
(d) Infant, student, career, enjoyment
10. What is the central characteristic of the Sikh?
(a) The Sikh seeks unity with God through hard work.
(b) The Sikh seeks unity with God through money.
(c) The Sikh seeks unity with God through self denial.
(d) The Sikh seeks unity with God through love.
11. What appears to be a contradiction in Taoist thought?
(a) The earthly versus the esoteric
(b) The idea of teaching the unteachable
(c) The ideas of reality and the supernatural
(d) The three different senses
12. What is it that Taoists reject?
(a) All forms of competition or ambition to stand out
(b) Work without working
(c) Quietude as a means of simplifying life
(d) Group dynamics of equality
13. What is the ultimate reality of Taoism?
(a) That which flows is permanent
(b) That everything is nothing
(c) That which is above all, behind all, and beneath all
(d) That motherhood is the essence of life
14. How is the idea of heaven and earth viewed in Confucianism?
(a) Heaven and Earth in Confucianism are looked upon as a continuum
(b) Heaven is ignored completely
(c) Heaven is the place where earthly questions are answered
(d) Heaven is the abode of the ancesters and should be forgotten
15. What was the conflict of Confucius' teaching and the mood of the times?
(a) Confucius taught frugality at a time of extravagance.
(b) Confucius taught family tradition in a time when individualism was on the rise.
(c) Confucius taught democracy at a time when feudalism was flourishing.
(d) Confucius taught pacifism at a time when wars were increasing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of the Tao senses?
2. What is one way Jnana yoga suggests one can distinguish Self from one's lesser physical being?
3. According to Hinduism who has the spiritual ideas of infinite being, infinite awareness, and infinite bliss?
4. What was Confucius' idea about art?
5. Who profits most from raja yoga?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)