|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Confucius reject both the Realists and the Mohists?
(a) The first was too formal and the latter was too undefined
(b) The first was too old and the latter was too innovative
(c) The first was too clumsy and external and the latter was too utopian
(d) The first was status quo and the latter was experimental
2. How is Western thought different from Hinduism in the matter of imperfection?
(a) Hinduism says there are no imperfections.
(b) Western thought says there are no imperfections.
(c) Western thought suggests getting as far away from imperfection as possible; whereas, Hinduism avows a purpose of by-passing imperfection altogether.
(d) Western thought says that imperfection is an illusion; whereas, Hinduism accepts it as reality.
3. According to Hinduism, what are the two receptors that control the lives of humans?
(a) Those of spiritual and material matters
(b) Those of ignorance and education
(c) Those of suffering and vocation
(d) Those of pleasure and pain
4. How do Hindus tend to look at Sikhs?
(a) Hindus tend to look at Sikhs as wayward Hindus.
(b) Hindus tend to look at Sikhs as lost sould.
(c) Hindus tend to look at Sikhs as morally superior.
(d) Hindus tend to look at Sikhs as beggars.
5. Why did Confucius earn the title of First Teacher?
(a) Because he taught the Emperor
(b) Because no one had ever been a teacher before
(c) Because of his prominence in China as a teacher
(d) Because he was first a teacher and then a politician
6. Who profits most from raja yoga?
(a) Those with a scientific bent
(b) Those who have not achieved mental clarity
(c) Those who visit ashrams
(d) Those of royal lineage
7. Who is Siddhartha Gautama of the Sakya?
(a) The awakened one, the Buddha.
(b) The first Hindu.
(c) The founder of Sikhism.
(d) The author of the Hindu Vidas.
8. What historical event occurred just as Confucius began teaching?
(a) The collapse of the Chou Dynasty
(b) The arrival of Marco Polo
(c) The Peloponnesian War
(d) The birth of Mohammed
9. What was the conflict of Confucius' teaching and the mood of the times?
(a) Confucius taught democracy at a time when feudalism was flourishing.
(b) Confucius taught pacifism at a time when wars were increasing.
(c) Confucius taught family tradition in a time when individualism was on the rise.
(d) Confucius taught frugality at a time of extravagance.
10. What is the problem of explaining nirvana?
(a) It has multiple meanings.
(b) It can only been reached after death.
(c) It is an untranslatable word.
(d) To the unenlightened mind, it is vague.
11. What is the result of seeking wealth, fame, and power?
(a) Either celebrity or noteriety
(b) Competition, which is always precarious
(c) A lifetime of hard work
(d) More failure than success
12. Eventually, how do Hindu minds conceive of God?
(a) The Gods transcend the anthropomorphic and become statues.
(b) The Gods transcend the anthropomorphic and become animals.
(c) The Gods transcend the anthropomorphic and become total abstractions.
(d) The Gods transcend the anthropomorphic and become constellations.
13. What does the first signpost of the Path of Renunciation which reads "the community" offer the individual?
(a) It offers membership in a larger family.
(b) It offers a better way to get what you want.
(c) It offers more lasting value than the self-centered desires of human nature.
(d) It offers political opportunity to gain more personal power.
14. What is the tanha?
(a) Loosely translated, it is human desire.
(b) Loosely translated, it is suffering.
(c) Loosely translated, it is religious education.
(d) Loosely translated, it is the fear of death.
15. What happened to Confucius texts?
(a) They became mandatory disciplines for Chinese government officials.
(b) They were lost and handed down only verbally.
(c) They were kept secret for 1,000 years.
(d) They were destroyed by Kublai Khan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Tao Te Ching say about Taoism?
2. What is the sangha?
3. What is Confucius' trinity?
4. In the caste system, who receives the greatest punishment for wrong doing?
5. Where was Siddhartha sitting as he gained enlightenment?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)