|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter IV, Confucianism, Rival Answers, | Chapter IV, Confucianism, Confucius' Answer, | Chapter IV, The Content of Deliberate Tradition,.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Zen koan?
(a) Sitting in meditation for long hours
(b) The elaborate tea ceremony with its slow and graceful movements
(c) Problems like the classic "What is the sound of one hand clapping?"
(d) Private consultation with a master
2. Where was Siddhartha sitting as he gained enlightenment?
(a) In a Hindu temple.
(b) Under the bo tree.
(c) On the banks of the Ganges.
(d) On a royal throne.
3. What is the main departure of Tibetan Buddhism?
(a) Prayer wheels and magic bells
(b) It enables achieving nirvana within a single lifetime.
(c) No begging for food
(d) Doing away with monks' robes
4. How did Confucius reject both the Realists and the Mohists?
(a) The first was too old and the latter was too innovative
(b) The first was status quo and the latter was experimental
(c) The first was too clumsy and external and the latter was too utopian
(d) The first was too formal and the latter was too undefined
5. What does the Hindu say would happen if the divine base of everything is removed?
(a) People would be free to do as they willed.
(b) Religion would die out.
(c) The natural world would disintegrate into nothing.
(d) The stars would shift their constellations.
Short Answer Questions
1. How might the rise of Buddhism be compared to the Protestant Reformation?
2. What is the result of seeking wealth, fame, and power?
3. What did the Buddha write during his lifetime?
4. What is the irony of Buddhism and India?
5. Under what condition does Hinduism allow for self-gratification of the senses?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)