|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which former President was compared to Franklin Roosevelt, who was a courageous, virile champion of just and righteous peace, and a foe of those who put peace before righteousness?
2. In the speech, " A Glory has Departed", who was "a glory" referring to?
3. What country was France having issues with in 1962?
4. According to Douglas MacArthur, what was considered to be a "global threat"?
5. Who was the director of the laboratories in Los Alamos, NM, where the atomic bomb was perfected?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did democracy mean to James Bryant Conant?
2. How was are international trade relations under Franklin Roosevelt?
3. What was the relationship of prosperity and peace according to Hull?
4. Discuss the difference between merchants and ministers.
5. What three elements represented the five members that completed the most important part of a war cabinet?
6. What was the principal mission of the United Nations?
7. How did Dorothy Thompson view isolation?
8. According to Nixon, what did the oath of the President mean?
9. Describe the phrase used by John F. Kennedy to call the people of the U.S. and the world to action.
10. Describe the impatience of the American people in the chapter "International Affairs and the United States".
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Douglas MacArthur was Commander of UN Forces in Korea. MacArthur became critical of government policy and used his own tactics in fighting the war.
Part 1) Explain the four reasons MacArthur felt that the war was necessary.
Part 2) How did MacArthur feel after being relieved of his duties?
Essay Topic 2
Washington was the first President of the United States. Washington overcame many challenges, but asked Americans to step up to other challenges in his farewell speech.
Part 1) What challenges faced early America?
Part 2 )Why did Washington state "I ought to stop" when he discussed the challenges?
Part 3) How did Washington suggest we preserve our nation?
Essay Topic 3
Demosthenes was acclaimed to be one of the greatest orators of all time.
Part 1) What was Demosthenes main message for the Athenian people in the speech "On the Crown"?
Part 2) Explain Demosthenes relationship and feelings toward Phillip of Macedon?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)