|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. J.F.K. in his Inaugural address said man had the power to abolish all forms of human poverty and all forms of what?
2. According Benito Mussolini in "A Call to Arms", what would Italy answer economic sanctions with?
3. What was founded on the exploitation of the weaknesses of the human heart?
4. What kind of trees did Henry Ward Beecher transplant?
5. According to the speech, "American and the War", what is not America's noblest destiny?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Baruch's feelings on the controlling of atomic weapons?
2. What were John F. Kennedy's feelings on peace?
3. Describe Charles de Gaulle's reflections on the last four years in the "Independence for Algeria" speech.
4. According to Nixon, what did the oath of the President mean?
5. What did democracy mean to James Bryant Conant?
6. How was are international trade relations under Franklin Roosevelt?
7. Discuss the difference between merchants and ministers.
8. What three elements represented the five members that completed the most important part of a war cabinet?
9. What were the main forces of the Red Army?
10. Describe General Goethals.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stephen Douglas opposed Lincoln on slavery issues, but ultimately sided with the North when secession became a reality. Douglas posed for questions in response to Lincoln at a debate in Freeport, IL.
Part 1) Explain the first two questions Douglas asked Lincoln.
Part 2) Explain the last two questions Douglas asked Lincoln.
Part 3) In addition to the ultimate question of slavery, what were Lincoln and Douglas debating?
Essay Topic 2
Douglas MacArthur was Commander of UN Forces in Korea. MacArthur became critical of government policy and used his own tactics in fighting the war.
Part 1) Explain the four reasons MacArthur felt that the war was necessary.
Part 2) How did MacArthur feel after being relieved of his duties?
Essay Topic 3
Several speeches in the text focused on religion and philosophy. For each speaker, summarize the idea of their speech found in the text.
1) Martin Luther
2) John Calvin
3) Jonathan Edwards
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)