|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who believed that the Canadian people entered WWII on their own free will?
2. J.F.K. in his Inaugural address said man had the power to abolish all forms of human poverty and all forms of what?
3. According to the speech "Loyal Opposition", how many years was it since the Great War in Europe came to an end?
4. Which former President was compared to Franklin Roosevelt, who was a courageous, virile champion of just and righteous peace, and a foe of those who put peace before righteousness?
5. According to President Nixon, what title can one receive that was the greatest honor of history?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did democracy mean to James Bryant Conant?
2. How was are international trade relations under Franklin Roosevelt?
3. What three elements represented the five members that completed the most important part of a war cabinet?
4. Discuss the difference between merchants and ministers.
5. Describe one's private library according to Phelps.
6. Describe the phrase used by John F. Kennedy to call the people of the U.S. and the world to action.
7. What was the principal mission of the United Nations?
8. How did Dorothy Thompson view isolation?
9. What was Einstein's feelings on peace?
10. How did Truman suggest strengthening freedom-loving nations against the dangers of aggression?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jan C. Smuts was Prime Minister of South Africa, which was part of the British Empire. Smuts spoke at a Conference for Prime Ministers in London, where Smuts delivered the speech "Peace and Empire".
Part 1) Describe Smuts' viewpoint on the League of Nations.
Part 2) Explain Smuts' feelings about the Empire system in place in South Africa.
Essay Topic 2
Franklin Roosevelt was elected the the U.S. Presidency four times. In Roosevelt's speech "Hemisphere Defense for Democracy", Roosevelt compared the "Old World" and "New World".
Part 1) Discuss the role of America in preventing future wars.
Part 2) How can the U.S. and other countries prevent the creation of new wars?
Part 3) What issues arose from the institution of trade barriers?
Essay Topic 3
Several speeches in the text focused on military leaders addressing their troops. Compare and contrast Hannibal's "To His Soldiers" and Leon Trotsky's "To the Red Army" speeches.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)