|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who believed that we have many things to learn from the West?
2. Who renounced all worldliness and led a life of self-denial and religious devotion, preaching the gospel to the rich and poor?
3. In the sermon, "On Suffering Persecution", ignominy and what were two opposites?
4. How old was Voltaire when he died?
5. In a speech delivered on February 3, 1800, who refused to negotiate with Napoleon Bonaparte?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Mohandas Ghandi's belief that non-cooperation was unconstitutional.
2. In the speech "Before the Battle of Leuthen", describe the disasters that concerned the French and Reich army.
3. What did Saint Francis say concerning Noah's Ark in the speech "Sermon to the Birds"?
4. Describe Macaulay's view of monarchical and aristocratic institutions.
5. Describe the proper business of a labor union.
6. Describe the violation of alliance by Tilsit Russia.
7. Hugo admired Voltaire for many reasons. What did Voltaire's smile mean according to Hugo?
8. According to Bonaparte's speech "On Beginning the Russian Campaign", describe the second war in Poland.
9. What did Cromwell feel his duty was to the people of Britain?
10. Discuss the relationship between the United States and the British government after the Revolution.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stephen Douglas opposed Lincoln on slavery issues, but ultimately sided with the North when secession became a reality. Douglas posed for questions in response to Lincoln at a debate in Freeport, IL.
Part 1) Explain the first two questions Douglas asked Lincoln.
Part 2) Explain the last two questions Douglas asked Lincoln.
Part 3) In addition to the ultimate question of slavery, what were Lincoln and Douglas debating?
Essay Topic 2
John F. Kennedy established the Peace Corps during his administration. Kennedy also called the people of America and the world to action in solving the world's challenges.
Part 1) What was Kennedy's view on abolishing poverty in the world?
Part 2) What did Kennedy feel was the responsibility of every citizen in the world?
Essay Topic 3
Demosthenes was acclaimed to be one of the greatest orators of all time.
Part 1) What was Demosthenes main message for the Athenian people in the speech "On the Crown"?
Part 2) Explain Demosthenes relationship and feelings toward Phillip of Macedon?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)