|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the speech "Address at Angostura", what empire was America compared to after their separation from Spain?
2. Who was a philosopher, diplomat and statesmen that had great abilities in different fields of study?
3. Who was probably the outstanding leader of the abolitionist movement and president of the American Anti-Slavery Society?
4. Who was known as a militant and nick-named "The Tiger"?
5. According the the sermon "On Suffering Persecution", who holds forth to us the immortal crown?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what constituted unity in Government according to Washington.
2. Why were repeated elections essential for popular government?
3. What was "abstract" liberty?
4. According to Bonaparte's speech "On Beginning the Russian Campaign", describe the second war in Poland.
5. According to Mazzini, describe the role of religion and politics in true society.
6. What influenced the "new world" according to Charles Hughes?
7. In the chapter "Great Britain and Ireland", what was the Times newspaper persuading people about?
8. Socrates was sentenced to death for being a heretic and corrupting the youth. What did Socrates question after be condemned to death?
9. Describe the proper business of a labor union.
10. What did Voltaire's smile mean according to Hugo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Franklin Roosevelt was elected the the U.S. Presidency four times. In Roosevelt's speech "Hemisphere Defense for Democracy", Roosevelt compared the "Old World" and "New World".
Part 1) Discuss the role of America in preventing future wars.
Part 2) How can the U.S. and other countries prevent the creation of new wars?
Part 3) What issues arose from the institution of trade barriers?
Essay Topic 2
Jan C. Smuts was Prime Minister of South Africa, which was part of the British Empire. Smuts spoke at a Conference for Prime Ministers in London, where Smuts delivered the speech "Peace and Empire".
Part 1) Describe Smuts' viewpoint on the League of Nations.
Part 2) Explain Smuts' feelings about the Empire system in place in South Africa.
Essay Topic 3
Several speeches in the text focused on military leaders addressing their troops. Compare and contrast Hannibal's "To His Soldiers" and Leon Trotsky's "To the Red Army" speeches.
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)