|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote about the need to "repress" women?
(c) Cato the Elder.
2. Who was the first non-slaveholding citizen of a free State who won election in the Democratic party?
(a) Martin Van Buren.
(b) John Adams.
(c) Abraham Lincoln.
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
3. In the speech "Farewell to the Old Guard", how many years had the speaker accompanied the soldiers on their road to "honor and glory"?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 20 years.
(c) 15 years.
(d) 5 years.
4. Who served on the U.S. Supreme Court for over half a century and delivered the speech "Live--I am Coming"?
(a) Grover Cleveland.
(b) Elihu Root.
(c) John Marshall.
(d) Oliver Wendell Holmes.
5. Who delivered the speech "Before the Diet of Worms"?
(a) John Calvin.
(b) St. Francis.
(c) Martin Luther.
(d) Victor Hugo.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was known as the "Liberator of Ireland"?
2. Who was probably the outstanding leader of the abolitionist movement and president of the American Anti-Slavery Society?
3. According to Edmund Burke, what inhered in some sensible object and became the criterion of the colonists happiness?
4. According to Mohandas Ghandi, how many inhabitants of India professed the faith of Islam?
5. Who was one of the greatest orators of the French Revolution, although the speakers was impaired by a painful stammer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the war against all nations.
2. What were the social principles outlined by Alexander Hamilton?
3. What were the commands to the Christian warriors of the Second Crusade?
4. Describe the violation of alliance by Tilsit Russia.
5. Describe what constituted unity in Government according to Washington.
6. Describe the objectives of the Committee for Industrial Organization.
7. Describe the bow and arrow of God's wrath according to Jonathan Edwards.
8. Describe Edmund Burke's objection of uncertainty of force.
9. What did Voltaire's smile mean according to Hugo?
10. What were Elihu Root's arguments for the League of Nations?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)