|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What country was Warren Hastings the British governor?
2. According to Cardinal Mercer, who was the most authoritative teacher of Christian Theology?
(a) St. Francis.
(b) St. Augustine.
(c) St. Thomas Aquinas.
(d) St. Benard.
3. In what United States city did Sir Wilfrid Laurier defend Great Britain's cause, and support for the Great War?
(a) New York.
(d) San Francisco.
4. Who delivered the speech "Defense Against the Charges" and ultimately saved the speaker from the guillotine?
5. Who was the editor for the Emporia Gazette and won the Pulitzer Prize?
(a) Clarence Darrow.
(b) William Allen White.
(c) John L. Lewis.
(d) Thomas E. Dewey.
6. Who said that "a person should seek to be holy on earth in order to achieve rewards in heaven"?
(a) John Calvin.
(b) Martin Luther.
(c) Cardinal Manning.
(d) John Wesley.
7. In the speech "To His Troops", Lucius Sergius Catiline stated two armies opposed their progress. Rome was one, what was the other army?
(c) The Trojans.
(d) The Greek army.
8. Who was known as the "Liberator of Ireland"?
(a) Arthur Griffith.
(b) Charles Stewart Parnell.
(c) Robert Emmet.
(d) Daniel O'Connell.
9. Who wrote about the need to "repress" women?
(c) Cato the Elder.
10. Who was known as a militant and nick-named "The Tiger"?
(a) Georges Clemenceau.
(b) Leon Trotsky.
(c) Alexander Kerensky.
(d) Otto Van Bismarck.
11. Before leaving to live in the White House, what city did Lincoln live?
(a) Springfield, MA.
(b) Lincoln, IL.
(c) St. Louis, MO.
(d) Springfield, IL.
12. According to John Bright, what law was very unsettled or bad?
(a) State law.
(b) Trent's law.
(c) Trade law.
(d) Maritime law.
13. According to Hannibal's speech "To His Soldiers", what river was larger and more impetuous than the Rhone River?
(a) Po River.
(b) Sardinian River.
(c) Alps River.
(d) Rhine River.
14. According to Cicero in "First Oration Against Catiline", who was put to death on mere suspicion?
(a) Marcus Fulvius.
(b) Lucius Opimius.
(c) Caius Gracchus.
(d) Caius Marius.
15. Which state was organized by people within a region and abandoned slavery?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who served on the U.S. Supreme Court for over half a century and delivered the speech "Live--I am Coming"?
2. According to the speech "England's Position", what country gave Belgium an ultimatum?
3. According to Daniel Webster, who erected the government of the U.S.?
4. According to the speech "Before the Battle of Leuthen, 1757", whose army is twice as strong?
5. Who gave the speech known as the "Funeral Oration?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)