|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Veblen attacked the rich as he looked for what he called the __________. (fill in the blank)
2. Having spent some time in South Africa, Hobson returned to England and wrote what book?
3. Between 1870 and 1914, what percentage of English savings were invested abroad?
4. Where was Veblen raised on a farm?
5. During the Victorian period, economics became the province of __________. (fill in the blank)
Short Essay Questions
1. Which of Marx's concepts turned out to be true?
2. What is Keynes's theory in Tract on Monetary Reform?
3. What was the economic situation in the early 1900's in America?
4. What was the premise of The Communist Manifesto?
5. What was Keynes theory about savings?
6. What kind of tax did Henry George propose?
7. What was the background of Friedrich Engels?
8. What was Veblen's theory about the Savage Society?
9. How did Frederic Bastiat ridicule economics?
10. What is Joseph Schumpeter's background?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss in detail the two themes put forth in Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations.
Essay Topic 2
In your opinion, who was the most influential of the worldly philosophers and why? Discuss his theories to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
What did Thorstein Veblen discover when "he delved into the nature of the economic man and his economic rites and rituals"? Discuss fully his approach to economics and his theories as well as how both were received by society.
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)