|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Veblen present as the saboteur of capitalism?
2. What did Marx's father hope he would study?
3. What does "bourgeoisie" mean?
4. Henry George's views were published in his book called __________. (fill in the blank)
5. What was the title of Veblen's first book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Veblen's views on capitalism in The Theory of Business Enterprise?
2. What is the premise of Joseph Schumpeter's The Theory of Economic Development?
3. What was dialectical materialism?
4. What is Joseph Schumpeter's background?
5. What connection does Schumpeter make between capitalism and sociological success?
6. What was Joseph Schumpeter's theory about the Great Depression?
7. What was the surplus value theory?
8. Why did Thorstein Veblen feel compelled to write about American economics?
9. What is Keynes's theory in Tract on Monetary Reform?
10. Which of Marx's concepts turned out to be true?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In your opinion, who was the most influential of the worldly philosophers and why? Discuss his theories to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss in detail the two themes put forth in Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations.
Essay Topic 3
How successful were the worldly philosophers in determining how the role of order and meaning functions within the context of social history? Support your answer with evidence and examples.
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)