|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Economists make order out of what, in Helibroner's opinion?
2. Charles Fourier is classified as _________. (fill in the blank)
3. What was the length of the common workday during the early days of the Industrial Revolution?
4. Malthus continued to work on his theory of population and the food supply and assumed that humans could double their number every _________. (fill in the blank)
5. By what year had crops reached near famine levels in England?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Ricardo against the Corn Laws?
2. What is the role of self-interest in the market place, according to Adam Smith?
3. What was the cause of the creation of the labor class in England?
4. What factors determine a nation's wealth, according to Adam Smith?
5. What was the market system?
6. How was English society divided at the time of Adam Smith?
7. What led to the introduction of a poor-relief bill and what did it encourage?
8. What was the premise of Malthus's An Essay on the Principle of Population as it Affects the Future Improvement of Society?
9. How did Charles Fourier propose to reorganize the Earth he believed was characterized by chaos and unhappiness?
10. What was the premise of Adam Smith's first book, The Theory of Moral Sentiments?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following statement in terms of its significance to both Keynes' theories and economic conditions of 2007-2008: "In retrospect, it was inevitable. The stock market had been built on a honeycomb of loans that could bear just so much strain and no more. And more than that, there were shaky timbers and rotten wood in the foundation that propped up the magnificent show of prosperity."
Essay Topic 2
How successful were the worldly philosophers in determining how the role of order and meaning functions within the context of social history? Support your answer with evidence and examples.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the historical and philosophical roots of capitalism. Use specific evidence from the book to support your explanation.
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)