|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most worldly of all man's activities, according to Heilbroner?
2. Who started New Lanark?
3. The followers of Saint-Simone proposed an end to _________. (fill in the blank)
4. Where was New Harmony located?
5. What was Ricardo's job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the role of self-interest in the market place, according to Adam Smith?
2. What were the beliefs of the Saint-Simonians?
3. Why did opponents of humanitarian legislation propose Smith's idea of laissez-faire?
4. Why was Ricardo against the Corn Laws?
5. How did David Ricardo view society?
6. Why did economics not begin with Adam Smith as many people believe?
7. What was the premise of Adam Smith's first book, The Theory of Moral Sentiments?
8. What did most people in ancient societies aspire to?
9. What factors determine a nation's wealth, according to Adam Smith?
10. What does Heilbroner say is the core of economics?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the historical and philosophical roots of capitalism. Use specific evidence from the book to support your explanation.
Essay Topic 2
In your opinion, who was the most influential of the worldly philosophers and why? Discuss his theories to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
What are Veblen's theories on capitalism and how were they received by society at the time?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)