|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Charles Fourier is classified as _________. (fill in the blank)
2. At what university was Adam Smith on the faculty?
3. John Stuart Mill's book was written when he was in his forties. What is the name of the book?
4. How many years did it take Adam Smith to finish The Wealth of Nations?
5. In what year did Reverend Thomas Robert Malthus publish "An Essay on the Principle of Population as it Affects the Future Improvement of Society"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the mission of the Grand National labor union?
2. What led to the introduction of a poor-relief bill and what did it encourage?
3. What is the role of self-interest in the market place, according to Adam Smith?
4. What was the premise of Adam Smith's first book, The Theory of Moral Sentiments?
5. What was Owen's idea to combat poverty?
6. What was New Lanark?
7. How did David Ricardo view society?
8. What is the greatest danger to survival in an advanced society?
9. What is the difference between markets and the market system?
10. Why was Ricardo against the Corn Laws?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was significant about Joseph Schumpeter's theories on innovation and entrepreneurs?
Essay Topic 2
Why, even with all of the economic issues that confront society, are most economists not classified as worldly philosophers? Answer fully through the historical context of the great economic thinkers discussed in the book.
Essay Topic 3
How successful were the worldly philosophers in determining how the role of order and meaning functions within the context of social history? Support your answer with evidence and examples.
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)