|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The mistakes of economist are nothing short of _________. (fill in the blank)
2. What did all of the these economists do?
3. At the beginning of the 1800's, England had two strong classes emerge; an _________ class and an agricultural class. (fill in the blank)
4. What kind of survival has man faced from the earliest days on?
5. Malthus continued to work on his theory of population and the food supply and assumed that humans could double their number every _________. (fill in the blank)
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Ricardo against the Corn Laws?
2. What led to the introduction of a poor-relief bill and what did it encourage?
3. What is the greatest danger to survival in an advanced society?
4. What was the premise of Malthus's An Essay on the Principle of Population as it Affects the Future Improvement of Society?
5. What was Owen's idea to combat poverty?
6. How did Charles Fourier propose to reorganize the Earth he believed was characterized by chaos and unhappiness?
7. What is Adam Smith's Invisible Hand Theory?
8. Why did economics not begin with Adam Smith as many people believe?
9. What was New Lanark?
10. What factors determine a nation's wealth, according to Adam Smith?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why, even with all of the economic issues that confront society, are most economists not classified as worldly philosophers? Answer fully through the historical context of the great economic thinkers discussed in the book.
Essay Topic 2
What was the main thrust of The Communist Manifesto, and why did it have such a long-term impact on society?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss in detail the two themes put forth in Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations.
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)