|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Saint-Simone was a firm believer in _________. (fill in the blank)
2. Who started New Lanark?
3. The market system was compelled largely by what idea?
4. What year was The Wealth of Nations published?
5. Smith was a firm believer in _______________, or leave the market alone. (fill in the blank)
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the beliefs of the Saint-Simonians?
2. What factors determine a nation's wealth, according to Adam Smith?
3. What was the cause of the creation of the labor class in England?
4. What is the proof that there is not a perfect solution to man's survival?
5. What is the difference between markets and the market system?
6. What was New Lanark?
7. What does Heilbroner say in his introduction that the worldly philosophers did "quietly and inconspicuously"?
8. Why was Ricardo against the Corn Laws?
9. How did Charles Fourier propose to reorganize the Earth he believed was characterized by chaos and unhappiness?
10. How was English society divided at the time of Adam Smith?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who were the Utopian Socialists and what was the significance of their economic theories? Describe this group of thinkers and their contributions to economic theory and thought.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following statement in terms of its significance to both Keynes' theories and economic conditions of 2007-2008: "In retrospect, it was inevitable. The stock market had been built on a honeycomb of loans that could bear just so much strain and no more. And more than that, there were shaky timbers and rotten wood in the foundation that propped up the magnificent show of prosperity."
Essay Topic 3
How did Marx teach us "not just to look at, but through, history"? What aspects of Marx's theories are still valid today?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)