|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Charles Fourier is classified as _________. (fill in the blank)
(a) A Labor Unionist.
(b) An Utopian Socialist.
(c) A Gloomy Economist.
(d) An Economic Revolutionary.
2. Pamphlets printed at the time of his work compared Malthus with whom?
(d) Adam Smith.
3. According to Mills, there would be a gradual disappearance of what?
4. While in prison, who did Saint-Simone claim appeared to him, telling him to become a philosopher?
(c) George Washington.
(d) Adam Smith.
5. Mill's book pointed out that the true province of economic law was production, not _________. (fill in the blank)
Short Answer Questions
1. Only because man is ___________ he has succeeded. (fill in the blank)
2. What helped bring an end to the religiousness of the population in Europe?
3. What does Heilbroner think is strange about ancient civilizations?
4. Heilbroner describes a trial of a wealthy man before the church in Boston in what year?
5. The economist Adam Smith lived during which time period?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Heilbroner find it strange that people don't know about the worldly philosophers?
2. What does Heilbroner say that economists provide?
3. What was the cause of the creation of the labor class in England?
4. How does Heilbroner describe the nine economist in his introduction?
5. What is Adam Smith's Invisible Hand Theory?
6. What were the beliefs of the Saint-Simonians?
7. What is the greatest danger to survival in an advanced society?
8. How did Charles Fourier propose to reorganize the Earth he believed was characterized by chaos and unhappiness?
9. Why was Ricardo against the Corn Laws?
10. How did David Ricardo view society?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)