|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Malthus continued to work on his theory of population and the food supply and assumed that humans could double their number every _________. (fill in the blank)
(a) Fifty Years.
(b) Twenty years.
(c) Thirty-five years.
(d) Twenty-five years.
2. What was the title of Adam Smith's first book?
(a) The Wealth of Nations.
(b) The Theory of Moral Sentiments.
(c) The Theory of Moral Philosophy.
(d) Essay on the Principles of Population.
3. To Heilbroner, what is the common denominator at the core of these men with diverse backgrounds?
4. Charles Fourier is classified as _________. (fill in the blank)
(a) A Gloomy Economist.
(b) An Economic Revolutionary.
(c) A Labor Unionist.
(d) An Utopian Socialist.
5. What took care of early man's inner conflict between himself and the group?
(b) The elders.
(c) The environment.
Short Answer Questions
1. Owen's idea was totally contrary to the doctrine of _________. (fill in the blank)
2. Robert Owen wanted to bring an end to what?
3. John Stuart Mill's book was written when he was in his forties. What is the name of the book?
4. In ancient society, there was no need for political economy or to see what made the economy function because it was all based on what?
5. Only because man is ___________ he has succeeded. (fill in the blank)
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ricardo and Malthus differ in their views?
2. What is the greatest danger to survival in an advanced society?
3. How did Charles Fourier propose to reorganize the Earth he believed was characterized by chaos and unhappiness?
4. What is the role of self-interest in the market place, according to Adam Smith?
5. Why was Ricardo against the Corn Laws?
6. What does Heilbroner say is the core of economics?
7. What was Owen's idea to combat poverty?
8. What factors determine a nation's wealth, according to Adam Smith?
9. Why did opponents of humanitarian legislation propose Smith's idea of laissez-faire?
10. What is the difference between markets and the market system?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)