|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Adam Smith defined wealth in terms of what?
2. What is production dependent upon?
3. Who wrote the Tableau Economique?
4. While in prison, who did Saint-Simone claim appeared to him, telling him to become a philosopher?
(a) George Washington.
(d) Adam Smith.
5. The fact that man is _________ makes survival difficult. (fill in the blank)
(a) A slow learner.
6. What did Heilbroner say was one of the factors bringing about the economic changes to a market system?
(a) The end of religion.
(b) The Industrial Revolution.
(c) The growth of factories.
(d) Foreign exploration.
7. The first stop on Heilbroner's description of how economists became necessary to society is France in what year?
8. What kind of survival has man faced from the earliest days on?
9. How many of the economists featured in the book made their own fortune?
10. Only because man is ___________ he has succeeded. (fill in the blank)
(d) Socially cooperative.
11. Malthus's essay earned economics the nickname _________. (fill in the blank)
(a) Dismal science.
(b) Population science.
(c) Wealth science.
(d) Death science.
12. Saint-Simone was a firm believer in _________. (fill in the blank)
(a) The Law of Accumulation.
13. One of the featured economists was never more than what?
(a) An insurance salesman.
(b) A hack.
(c) A drunk.
(d) A traveling salesman.
14. The second stop on Heilbroner's historical journey describes the number of markets visited by one man in 1550, in what country?
15. Adam Smith was a lecturer in what area?
(b) Economic Philosphy.
(c) Moral Philosophy.
(d) Religious Science.
Short Answer Questions
1. Heilbroner believes economists wield power greater than _________. (fill in the blank)
2. By what decade was Malthus proved wrong?
3. Eventually the market system evolved with its necessary factors of _________ for production. (fill in the blank)
4. Most of the featured economists could never master _________. (fill in the blank)
5. What was detested by factory workers in the late 1700's?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)