|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was New Harmony located?
(c) New York.
2. Most of the featured economists could never master _________. (fill in the blank)
(a) Their personal lives.
(b) The social world.
(c) Wall Street.
(d) Their personal finances.
3. What did Heilbroner say was one of the factors bringing about the economic changes to a market system?
(a) Foreign exploration.
(b) The growth of factories.
(c) The Industrial Revolution.
(d) The end of religion.
4. Assigning tasks by command to ensure that all necessary tasks are performed is what type of system?
5. Smith was a firm believer in _______________, or leave the market alone. (fill in the blank)
6. According to Malthus, the size of the population is limited by what?
(d) Food supply.
7. One of the featured economists was never more than what?
(a) A traveling salesman.
(b) An insurance salesman.
(c) A drunk.
(d) A hack.
8. What is the most worldly of all man's activities, according to Heilbroner?
(a) The need for food.
(b) The need for religion.
(c) The drive for wealth.
(d) The drive for companionship.
9. What is the biggest danger facing a modern community?
(a) Human unpredictability.
(b) Human predictability.
10. The first stop on Heilbroner's description of how economists became necessary to society is France in what year?
11. Malthus's essay earned economics the nickname _________. (fill in the blank)
(a) Wealth science.
(b) Death science.
(c) Dismal science.
(d) Population science.
12. Heilbroner says the work of economist is both exciting and _________. (fill in the blank)
13. _________ is a manner of organizing society so all tasks are performed. (fill in the blank)
(d) Social compatibility.
14. The followers of Saint-Simone proposed an end to _________. (fill in the blank)
(b) Villages of Cooperation.
(c) Private property.
(d) Industrial production.
15. Economists make order out of what, in Helibroner's opinion?
(a) Social chaos.
(c) The abyss.
Short Answer Questions
1. It is the forces of ______ that make the market function according to Adam Smith. (fill in the blank)
2. The early days of the industrial revolution resulted in workplace abuse, especially for ___________. (fill in the blank)
3. Which legislation resulted in duties on grain imports and remained in effect for thirty years?
4. In ancient society, there was no need for political economy or to see what made the economy function because it was all based on what?
5. Adam Smith was a lecturer in what area?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)