|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of the 1800's, England had two strong classes emerge; an _________ class and an agricultural class. (fill in the blank)
2. Most of the featured economists could never master _________. (fill in the blank)
(a) Their personal lives.
(b) Wall Street.
(c) Their personal finances.
(d) The social world.
3. _________ is concerned with finding some reason for the cosmos. (fill in the blank)
(a) Moral Philosophy.
(c) Natural Theology.
4. What was the length of the common workday during the early days of the Industrial Revolution?
(a) Eight hours.
(b) Twelve hours.
(c) Sixteen hours.
(d) Ten hours.
5. By what year had crops reached near famine levels in England?
6. The early days of the industrial revolution resulted in workplace abuse, especially for ___________. (fill in the blank)
7. Economists make order out of what, in Helibroner's opinion?
(a) The abyss.
(d) Social chaos.
8. According to Malthus, how did nature control the resources of the world?
(a) Through famine.
(b) Through death.
(c) Through war.
(d) Through poverty.
9. How many years did it take Adam Smith to finish The Wealth of Nations?
10. According to Heilbroner, economists changed the world not through __________, but through power of their ideas. (fill in the blank)
11. John Stuart Mill's book was written when he was in his forties. What is the name of the book?
(a) Principles of Economic Success.
(b) The Wealth of Nations.
(c) Essay on the Principles of Population.
(d) Principles of Political Economy.
12. _________ is a manner of organizing society so all tasks are performed. (fill in the blank)
(d) Social compatibility.
13. The first stop on Heilbroner's description of how economists became necessary to society is France in what year?
14. Heilbroner says the work of economist is both exciting and _________. (fill in the blank)
15. What took care of early man's inner conflict between himself and the group?
(a) The environment.
(c) The elders.
Short Answer Questions
1. What helped bring an end to the religiousness of the population in Europe?
2. What did the market system become known as?
3. Adam Smith defined wealth in terms of what?
4. What is the most worldly of all man's activities, according to Heilbroner?
5. According to Ricardo, which class was the only class in English society which could benefit from its hold on grain prices?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)