|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A speech in what year by a Chippewa chief rejected the presumption that the English were simply going to inherit Indian lands gained by the French?
2. The first text in Chapter 4 is from what year, when a governor of New France traveled to Iroquois country to try to bluff his way to making the Iroquois stop trading with the English?
3. When was Dragging Canoe born?
4. The Walking Purchase was a purported agreement from what year?
5. What was the name of an Onondaga who gave the governor of New France a speech, essentially calling his bluff, in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the Native American response to the Peace of Paris? Why?
2. What text in Chapter 4 describes the motivations of the French to the Iroquois? What is the response to this text?
3. Who did the Chickasaw Indians make a speech to in Chapter 4? Why?
4. How is the "guardian system" described in Chapter 3? When and where was it enacted?
5. What disputes led to the Indian Nonintercourse Act? When was it signed into law?
6. In what text is the Treaty of Fort Pitt discussed in Chapter 5? What did this treaty entail?
7. What did the Native Americans feel about the French and Indian War? What is revealed in a 1758 speech about the war in Chapter 4?
8. What became of White Eyes and the Delaware Indians in 1782?
9. When was the Treaty of Fort Stanwix signed? Who opposed it?
10. What was the intention behind "Act of Submission"? Who wrote this text from Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the text of the Micmac Indian in Chapter 2. What elements of European culture are criticized by the Native American and why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Columbus' journey to the Americas, the subsequent European colonization of the continent, and the culture and customs of Native Americans prior to and post European colonization. How does the reality of Native American civilization differ from the Eurocentric viewpoint?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the Native American perspective of land and the European view. How did this cultural difference influence the land deals between Indians and colonists?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)