|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joseph Mittark was accused of illegitimately selling the lands of his people to the governor of what state?
2. In the first text from Chapter 5, Oneida Indians express their desire to remain neutral in the conflict in a speech to the governor of what state?
3. What was the name of an Onondaga who gave the governor of New France a speech, essentially calling his bluff, in Chapter 4?
4. On the topic of intertribal wars, a speech by a Cayuga chief named what revealed the extent to which the Europeans succeeded in turning tribes against one another in Chapter 4?
5. A speech in what year by a Chippewa chief rejected the presumption that the English were simply going to inherit Indian lands gained by the French?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the narrative structure, symbolism and themes in Josiah Jeremy's narrative of the arrival of European missionaries. How is color used symbolically in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the stories related by Captain John Smith and Josiah Quinney in Chapter 1. What do these narratives relate of the Native American identity and the impact of European colonization?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the housing structures and villages established amongst the Native American tribes. How much variance was there in housing structure?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)