|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One instance of land abuse was the "guardian system," put in place by Massachusetts in what year?
2. In what year did the Delaware Indians give a speech stating their belief that the English caused the French and Indian War, as described in Chapter 4?
3. What was the name of an Onondaga who gave the governor of New France a speech, essentially calling his bluff, in Chapter 4?
4. In the "Act of Submission" printed in Chapter 3, the Native American tribe formally submitted themselves as subjects of what?
5. When was Joseph Brant born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did the Chickasaw Indians make a speech to in Chapter 4? Why?
2. In what action was Joseph Brant instrumental during the American Revolution?
3. Who is berated in a speech by Atiwaneto in Chapter 4? Why?
4. What did the Native Americans feel about the French and Indian War? What is revealed in a 1758 speech about the war in Chapter 4?
5. Describe the Walking Purchase of 1737. Who was affected by this deal?
6. How were the Cherokee Indians impacted by the American Revolution? What rift took place amongst the tribe?
7. Why did Minavavana scold the British in his speech in Chapter 4?
8. How is the American strategy for dealing with the Indians during the American Revolution described in Chapter 5? What founding fathers are discussed?
9. What Native American spoke at the Treaty of Lancaster conference? What is reprinted of this speaker in Chapter 3?
10. When did Pontiac's War take place? What results arose from the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the journey of the Kasihtas in Chekilli's creation story. How does the plight of the tribe metaphorically relate to the plight of Native Americans in the face of colonization?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the "discovery" and colonization of Manhattan, John Heckewelder, and the Mahican people. Where were the Mahican's primarily dwelling when the Dutch settlers arrived?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss John Eliot, early European Christian missionaries in the colonies, and the establishment of praying towns among the Native Americans. When did Eliot establish his first praying town?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)