|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the first text from Chapter 5, Oneida Indians express their desire to remain neutral in the conflict in a speech to the governor of what state?
2. Chief Pontiac was born in approximately what year?
3. When was Colonel William Crawford born?
4. Thomas Jefferson was governor of what state when he urged extermination of Shawnees in Ohio?
5. What refers to a writing or document executed under seal and delivered to effect a conveyance, especially of real estate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the "guardian system" described in Chapter 3? When and where was it enacted?
2. What did the Native Americans feel about the French and Indian War? What is revealed in a 1758 speech about the war in Chapter 4?
3. What text included in Chapter 3 relates the account of Penobscot? What does it concern?
4. In what text is the Treaty of Fort Pitt discussed in Chapter 5? What did this treaty entail?
5. How were the Cherokee Indians impacted by the American Revolution? What rift took place amongst the tribe?
6. What text in Chapter 4 describes the motivations of the French to the Iroquois? What is the response to this text?
7. What was the subject of Gachadow's speech in Chapter 4? What is represented in this text?
8. Why did Minavavana scold the British in his speech in Chapter 4?
9. What became of White Eyes and the Delaware Indians in 1782?
10. What disputes led to the Indian Nonintercourse Act? When was it signed into law?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the Native American perspective of land and the European view. How did this cultural difference influence the land deals between Indians and colonists?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the impact of European political systems on Native American culture. How did the political structure of Native American civilization change as a result of European influence?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the text of the Micmac Indian in Chapter 2. What elements of European culture are criticized by the Native American and why?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)