|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One instance of land abuse was the "guardian system," put in place by Massachusetts in what year?
2. When did the American Revolutionary War begin?
3. Penobscot participated in a land negotiation for an area called what in present-day Maine?
4. Dragging Canoe led Cherokee Indians inclined to fight whom during the American Revolutionary War?
5. In a speech from 1756, the leaders of what tribe, known for their ferocious fights against the French, plead for support in fighting the French?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the subject of Gachadow's speech in Chapter 4? What is represented in this text?
2. Who did the Chickasaw Indians make a speech to in Chapter 4? Why?
3. What became of White Eyes and the Delaware Indians in 1782?
4. What was the intention behind "Act of Submission"? Who wrote this text from Chapter 3?
5. How is the "guardian system" described in Chapter 3? When and where was it enacted?
6. What text in Chapter 4 describes the motivations of the French to the Iroquois? What is the response to this text?
7. Describe the Walking Purchase of 1737. Who was affected by this deal?
8. What text included in Chapter 3 relates the account of Penobscot? What does it concern?
9. How is the American strategy for dealing with the Indians during the American Revolution described in Chapter 5? What founding fathers are discussed?
10. In what text is the Treaty of Fort Pitt discussed in Chapter 5? What did this treaty entail?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe John Norton and his relationship to the Iroquois people. When did Norton's creation story from Chapter 1 originate?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the text of Mary Jemison in Chapter 2. How did Jemison feel about her captors? How did this relationship change?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the "discovery" and colonization of Manhattan, John Heckewelder, and the Mahican people. Where were the Mahican's primarily dwelling when the Dutch settlers arrived?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)