|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A speech was given by what Oneida Indian in Chapter 4, promising to uphold the peace between the tribe and the English, but questioning the English for using Indians to fight their wars for them?
2. In what year was the Treaty of Fort Stanwix concluded between the Iroquois and English delegate Sir William Johnson?
3. In 2004, the Delaware Nation filed suit against Pennsylvania in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, seeking how many acres included in the Walking Purchase?
4. The older generation of Cherokee who were resigned to making peace were represented by whom during the American Revolutionary War?
5. Phineas Stevens had been captured by what tribe at a young age and had learned their customs and language?
Short Essay Questions
1. What text included in Chapter 3 relates the account of Penobscot? What does it concern?
2. What was the intention behind "Act of Submission"? Who wrote this text from Chapter 3?
3. How is the American strategy for dealing with the Indians during the American Revolution described in Chapter 5? What founding fathers are discussed?
4. What became of White Eyes and the Delaware Indians in 1782?
5. What was the Native American response to the Peace of Paris? Why?
6. How is the "guardian system" described in Chapter 3? When and where was it enacted?
7. What Native American spoke at the Treaty of Lancaster conference? What is reprinted of this speaker in Chapter 3?
8. In what action was Joseph Brant instrumental during the American Revolution?
9. How does the author describe the many land deeds in colonial America in Chapter 3?
10. Describe the Walking Purchase of 1737. Who was affected by this deal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Columbus' journey to the Americas, the subsequent European colonization of the continent, and the culture and customs of Native Americans prior to and post European colonization. How does the reality of Native American civilization differ from the Eurocentric viewpoint?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the text of the Micmac Indian in Chapter 2. What elements of European culture are criticized by the Native American and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the history and origins of storytelling in Native American culture. In what ways do the structures of Native American folktales and myths relate to European and other narrative structures?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)