|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Penobscot participated in a land negotiation for an area called what in present-day Maine?
2. When was Dragging Canoe born?
3. One instance of land abuse was the "guardian system," put in place by Massachusetts in what year?
4. Where was Colonel William Crawford born?
5. A speech was given by what Oneida Indian in Chapter 4, promising to uphold the peace between the tribe and the English, but questioning the English for using Indians to fight their wars for them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What disputes led to the Indian Nonintercourse Act? When was it signed into law?
2. What text included in Chapter 3 relates the account of Penobscot? What does it concern?
3. What did the Native Americans feel about the French and Indian War? What is revealed in a 1758 speech about the war in Chapter 4?
4. How were the Cherokee Indians impacted by the American Revolution? What rift took place amongst the tribe?
5. What was the Native American response to the Peace of Paris? Why?
6. How does the author describe the many land deeds in colonial America in Chapter 3?
7. In what text is the Treaty of Fort Pitt discussed in Chapter 5? What did this treaty entail?
8. Who did the Chickasaw Indians make a speech to in Chapter 4? Why?
9. How is the American strategy for dealing with the Indians during the American Revolution described in Chapter 5? What founding fathers are discussed?
10. Who is berated in a speech by Atiwaneto in Chapter 4? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the journey of the Kasihtas in Chekilli's creation story. How does the plight of the tribe metaphorically relate to the plight of Native Americans in the face of colonization?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the biography of Josiah Jeremy and his relationship to the Micmac people. Where did the Micmacs live in North America?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the "discovery" and colonization of Manhattan, John Heckewelder, and the Mahican people. Where were the Mahican's primarily dwelling when the Dutch settlers arrived?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)