|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the "Act of Submission" printed in Chapter 3, the Native American tribe formally submitted themselves as subjects of what?
2. What act among Indian tribes was a crucial part of any diplomatic efforts, as it symbolized friendship and sincerity?
3. Colonel William Crawford was tortured and burnt at the stake by American Indians in retaliation for what incident?
4. In what year did George Washington order the destruction of around forty Iroquois towns during the Revolutionary War?
5. Joseph Brant was a military and political leader in what Native American tribe?
Short Essay Questions
1. When was the Treaty of Fort Stanwix signed? Who opposed it?
2. Why did Minavavana scold the British in his speech in Chapter 4?
3. In what text is the Treaty of Fort Pitt discussed in Chapter 5? What did this treaty entail?
4. How does the author describe the many land deeds in colonial America in Chapter 3?
5. Who is berated in a speech by Atiwaneto in Chapter 4? Why?
6. What was the subject of the speech by the Oneida Indians in Chapter 5? What was the outcome for these people in the war?
7. How is the American strategy for dealing with the Indians during the American Revolution described in Chapter 5? What founding fathers are discussed?
8. What was the Native American response to the Peace of Paris? Why?
9. What became of White Eyes and the Delaware Indians in 1782?
10. What disputes led to the Indian Nonintercourse Act? When was it signed into law?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss John Eliot, early European Christian missionaries in the colonies, and the establishment of praying towns among the Native Americans. When did Eliot establish his first praying town?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the stories related by Captain John Smith and Josiah Quinney in Chapter 1. What do these narratives relate of the Native American identity and the impact of European colonization?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the text of Mary Jemison in Chapter 2. How did Jemison feel about her captors? How did this relationship change?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)