|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One instance of land abuse was the "guardian system," put in place by Massachusetts in what year?
2. On the topic of intertribal wars, a speech by a Cayuga chief named what revealed the extent to which the Europeans succeeded in turning tribes against one another in Chapter 4?
3. When did the American Revolutionary War begin?
4. When did Congress issue the United States Declaration of Independence?
5. The Treaty of Fort Pitt was signed on what date?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is berated in a speech by Atiwaneto in Chapter 4? Why?
2. What became of White Eyes and the Delaware Indians in 1782?
3. With whom did the majority of Native Americans side with in the American Revolution? What were their feelings of the war?
4. How is the "guardian system" described in Chapter 3? When and where was it enacted?
5. What was the intention behind "Act of Submission"? Who wrote this text from Chapter 3?
6. What disputes led to the Indian Nonintercourse Act? When was it signed into law?
7. What was the subject of the speech by the Oneida Indians in Chapter 5? What was the outcome for these people in the war?
8. When was the Treaty of Fort Stanwix signed? Who opposed it?
9. What Native American spoke at the Treaty of Lancaster conference? What is reprinted of this speaker in Chapter 3?
10. When did Pontiac's War take place? What results arose from the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the impact of European political systems on Native American culture. How did the political structure of Native American civilization change as a result of European influence?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the stories related by Captain John Smith and Josiah Quinney in Chapter 1. What do these narratives relate of the Native American identity and the impact of European colonization?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the biography of Josiah Jeremy and his relationship to the Micmac people. Where did the Micmacs live in North America?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)