|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a speech from 1756, the leaders of a tribe known for their ferocious fights against the French, plead for support in fighting the French from the governor of what state?
2. In what year did the Delaware Indians give a speech stating their belief that the English caused the French and Indian War, as described in Chapter 4?
3. Chief Pontiac was born in approximately what year?
4. Deliberations on the Treaty of Lancaster ended on what date?
5. When did Colonel William Crawford die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Walking Purchase of 1737. Who was affected by this deal?
2. What did Minavavana reject in his speech in Chapter 4? When was this speech given?
3. What became of White Eyes and the Delaware Indians in 1782?
4. How does the author describe the many land deeds in colonial America in Chapter 3?
5. With whom did the majority of Native Americans side with in the American Revolution? What were their feelings of the war?
6. What text included in Chapter 3 relates the account of Penobscot? What does it concern?
7. Why did Minavavana scold the British in his speech in Chapter 4?
8. What did the Native Americans feel about the French and Indian War? What is revealed in a 1758 speech about the war in Chapter 4?
9. What was the subject of the speech by the Oneida Indians in Chapter 5? What was the outcome for these people in the war?
10. What was the Native American response to the Peace of Paris? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism, themes and meaning of the Iroquois creation myth related by John Norton in Chapter 1. How does this story's structure relate to narrative structures in European folklore?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Chekilli and the Creek people. How did this tribe relate to others? What interaction did the Creek people have with European colonists?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the biography of Josiah Jeremy and his relationship to the Micmac people. Where did the Micmacs live in North America?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)