|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Thomas Jefferson was governor of what state when he urged extermination of Shawnees in Ohio?
2. The Walking Purchase was a purported agreement from what year?
3. When did the American Revolutionary War begin?
4. In Chapter 3, Penobscot recounted his part in the negotiations, in which he never stated anything about handing over land but only that he wished for what?
5. Joseph Mittark was accused of illegitimately selling the lands of his people to the governor of what state?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the American strategy for dealing with the Indians during the American Revolution described in Chapter 5? What founding fathers are discussed?
2. How were the Cherokee Indians impacted by the American Revolution? What rift took place amongst the tribe?
3. What disputes led to the Indian Nonintercourse Act? When was it signed into law?
4. What text in Chapter 4 describes the motivations of the French to the Iroquois? What is the response to this text?
5. When was the Treaty of Fort Stanwix signed? Who opposed it?
6. How is the "guardian system" described in Chapter 3? When and where was it enacted?
7. What did Minavavana reject in his speech in Chapter 4? When was this speech given?
8. In what action was Joseph Brant instrumental during the American Revolution?
9. What became of White Eyes and the Delaware Indians in 1782?
10. What did the Native Americans feel about the French and Indian War? What is revealed in a 1758 speech about the war in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the devastation of the Native American community due to smallpox, measles and other disease brought from the Old World. How many Native American tribes were wiped out completely by disease?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss John Eliot, early European Christian missionaries in the colonies, and the establishment of praying towns among the Native Americans. When did Eliot establish his first praying town?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the history and origins of storytelling in Native American culture. In what ways do the structures of Native American folktales and myths relate to European and other narrative structures?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)