|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Penobscot participated in a land negotiation for an area called what in present-day Maine?
2. In the "Act of Submission" printed in Chapter 3, the Native American tribe formally submitted themselves as subjects of what?
3. What was the name of the governor of New France who traveled to Iroquois country to try to bluff his way to making the Iroquois stop trading with the English?
4. What was the name of an Onondaga who gave the governor of New France a speech, essentially calling his bluff, in Chapter 4?
5. Chief Pontiac was a leader of what Native American tribe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What became of White Eyes and the Delaware Indians in 1782?
2. What did the Native Americans feel about the French and Indian War? What is revealed in a 1758 speech about the war in Chapter 4?
3. How is the American strategy for dealing with the Indians during the American Revolution described in Chapter 5? What founding fathers are discussed?
4. What was the subject of Gachadow's speech in Chapter 4? What is represented in this text?
5. In what text is the Treaty of Fort Pitt discussed in Chapter 5? What did this treaty entail?
6. What Native American spoke at the Treaty of Lancaster conference? What is reprinted of this speaker in Chapter 3?
7. When was the Treaty of Fort Stanwix signed? Who opposed it?
8. With whom did the majority of Native Americans side with in the American Revolution? What were their feelings of the war?
9. Who did the Chickasaw Indians make a speech to in Chapter 4? Why?
10. In what action was Joseph Brant instrumental during the American Revolution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the history and origins of storytelling in Native American culture. In what ways do the structures of Native American folktales and myths relate to European and other narrative structures?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism, themes and meaning of the Iroquois creation myth related by John Norton in Chapter 1. How does this story's structure relate to narrative structures in European folklore?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the text of the Micmac Indian in Chapter 2. What elements of European culture are criticized by the Native American and why?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)