|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Indian Nonintercourse Act declared that all Indian land deals were invalid unless they occurred with what?
2. In the first text from Chapter 5, Oneida Indians express their desire to remain neutral in the conflict in a speech to whom?
3. The French and Indian War ended in what year?
4. Joseph Mittark was accused of illegitimately selling the lands of his people to whom?
5. Penobscot participated in a land negotiation for an area called what in present-day Maine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Walking Purchase of 1737. Who was affected by this deal?
2. What disputes led to the Indian Nonintercourse Act? When was it signed into law?
3. What was the subject of the speech by the Oneida Indians in Chapter 5? What was the outcome for these people in the war?
4. Who is berated in a speech by Atiwaneto in Chapter 4? Why?
5. What did the Native Americans feel about the French and Indian War? What is revealed in a 1758 speech about the war in Chapter 4?
6. What was the intention behind "Act of Submission"? Who wrote this text from Chapter 3?
7. How is the American strategy for dealing with the Indians during the American Revolution described in Chapter 5? What founding fathers are discussed?
8. What was the subject of Gachadow's speech in Chapter 4? What is represented in this text?
9. When was the Treaty of Fort Stanwix signed? Who opposed it?
10. What Native American spoke at the Treaty of Lancaster conference? What is reprinted of this speaker in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss John Eliot, early European Christian missionaries in the colonies, and the establishment of praying towns among the Native Americans. When did Eliot establish his first praying town?
Essay Topic 2
Describe John Norton and his relationship to the Iroquois people. When did Norton's creation story from Chapter 1 originate?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the housing structures and villages established amongst the Native American tribes. How much variance was there in housing structure?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)