|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A speech in what year by a Chippewa chief rejected the presumption that the English were simply going to inherit Indian lands gained by the French?
2. In what year did the Delaware Indians give a speech stating their belief that the English caused the French and Indian War, as described in Chapter 4?
3. A speech was given by what Oneida Indian in Chapter 4, promising to uphold the peace between the tribe and the English, but questioning the English for using Indians to fight their wars for them?
4. The Indian Nonintercourse Act is the collective name given to how many statutes passed by the United States Congress?
5. In a speech from 1756, the leaders of what tribe, known for their ferocious fights against the French, plead for support in fighting the French?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the subject of Gachadow's speech in Chapter 4? What is represented in this text?
2. Why did Minavavana scold the British in his speech in Chapter 4?
3. How does the author describe the many land deeds in colonial America in Chapter 3?
4. What did the Native Americans feel about the French and Indian War? What is revealed in a 1758 speech about the war in Chapter 4?
5. In what action was Joseph Brant instrumental during the American Revolution?
6. What was the intention behind "Act of Submission"? Who wrote this text from Chapter 3?
7. Who is berated in a speech by Atiwaneto in Chapter 4? Why?
8. What Native American spoke at the Treaty of Lancaster conference? What is reprinted of this speaker in Chapter 3?
9. How is the "guardian system" described in Chapter 3? When and where was it enacted?
10. How is the American strategy for dealing with the Indians during the American Revolution described in Chapter 5? What founding fathers are discussed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the effects of European trade on the Native Americans. Why did the trade industry have such a devastating effect on the population?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and analyze the process of integration between the Europeans and the Native Americans. How did intermarriage affect the cultures of each community?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the devastation of the Native American community due to smallpox, measles and other disease brought from the Old World. How many Native American tribes were wiped out completely by disease?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)