|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Penobscot participated in a land negotiation for an area called what in present-day Maine?
2. The Walking Purchase was a purported agreement between the Penn family and what native tribe?
3. The Walking Purchase gave Pennsylvania as much land as a person could walk in how much time?
4. Phineas Stevens had been captured by what tribe at a young age and had learned their customs and language?
5. In Chapter 3, Penobscot recounted his part in the negotiations, in which he never stated anything about handing over land but only that he wished for what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Walking Purchase of 1737. Who was affected by this deal?
2. What was the intention behind "Act of Submission"? Who wrote this text from Chapter 3?
3. Who did the Chickasaw Indians make a speech to in Chapter 4? Why?
4. With whom did the majority of Native Americans side with in the American Revolution? What were their feelings of the war?
5. In what text is the Treaty of Fort Pitt discussed in Chapter 5? What did this treaty entail?
6. What became of White Eyes and the Delaware Indians in 1782?
7. What text included in Chapter 3 relates the account of Penobscot? What does it concern?
8. In what action was Joseph Brant instrumental during the American Revolution?
9. What Native American spoke at the Treaty of Lancaster conference? What is reprinted of this speaker in Chapter 3?
10. What was the subject of the speech by the Oneida Indians in Chapter 5? What was the outcome for these people in the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Chekilli and the Creek people. How did this tribe relate to others? What interaction did the Creek people have with European colonists?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the devastation of the Native American community due to smallpox, measles and other disease brought from the Old World. How many Native American tribes were wiped out completely by disease?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the journey of the Kasihtas in Chekilli's creation story. How does the plight of the tribe metaphorically relate to the plight of Native Americans in the face of colonization?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)