|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did a Delaware chief named John Killbuck make a speech correctly doubting that the white man will be satisfied with the Ohio River boundary?
2. Chief Pontiac was a leader of what Native American tribe?
3. Delaware Indians strenuously denied the accuracy of the treaty called the Treaty of Fort Pitt in a letter to what American Indian agent in Chapter 5?
4. One instance of land abuse was the "guardian system," put in place by Massachusetts in what year?
5. The Indian Nonintercourse Act declared that all Indian land deals were invalid unless they occurred with what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the subject of Gachadow's speech in Chapter 4? What is represented in this text?
2. What did Minavavana reject in his speech in Chapter 4? When was this speech given?
3. With whom did the majority of Native Americans side with in the American Revolution? What were their feelings of the war?
4. What disputes led to the Indian Nonintercourse Act? When was it signed into law?
5. Who is berated in a speech by Atiwaneto in Chapter 4? Why?
6. What text in Chapter 4 describes the motivations of the French to the Iroquois? What is the response to this text?
7. In what action was Joseph Brant instrumental during the American Revolution?
8. When was the Treaty of Fort Stanwix signed? Who opposed it?
9. Describe the Walking Purchase of 1737. Who was affected by this deal?
10. How is the "guardian system" described in Chapter 3? When and where was it enacted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the stories related by Captain John Smith and Josiah Quinney in Chapter 1. What do these narratives relate of the Native American identity and the impact of European colonization?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Samson Occom and Reverend Eleazar Wheelock. When and where were each of these individuals born? What impact did each have on the Native American community?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss John Eliot, early European Christian missionaries in the colonies, and the establishment of praying towns among the Native Americans. When did Eliot establish his first praying town?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)