|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a Christian revitalization movement that swept Protestant Europe and British America, and especially the American colonies in the 1730s and 1740s, leaving a permanent impact on American religion?
2. The Chichimeca War was a military conflict waged between Spanish colonizers against a confederation of Chichimeca Indians during what years?
3. What refers to the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning?
4. According to the author in Chapter 2, in addition to intermarriage, some tribes sought to bolster their numbers by what means?
5. What was an armed conflict between the Lakota, Northern Cheyenne, and Arapaho and the United States in the Wyoming Territory and the Montana Territory from 1866 to 1868?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the mindset of the Native Americans at the end of the American Revolution?
2. When did Pontiac's War take place? What results arose from the war?
3. What does the author suggest the reader keep in mind regarding Indian oratory history and literacy in the Introduction?
4. What did Minavavana reject in his speech in Chapter 4? When was this speech given?
5. What text of Samson Occom's is included in Chapter 2? Who was Occom?
6. What did the Native Americans feel about the French and Indian War? What is revealed in a 1758 speech about the war in Chapter 4?
7. What school did Reverend Eleazar Wheelock found? What letters regarding the school are included in Chapter 2?
8. How did European trade impact the Native American peoples, as discussed in the Introduction?
9. What strategy did the Americans use on the Indians following the American Revolution? How did the Indians respond?
10. What essay of Joseph Brant's is included in Chapter 6? What is compared in the essay?
Essay Topic 1
Describe John Norton and his relationship to the Iroquois people. When did Norton's creation story from Chapter 1 originate?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism, themes and meaning of the Iroquois creation myth related by John Norton in Chapter 1. How does this story's structure relate to narrative structures in European folklore?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the biography of Josiah Jeremy and his relationship to the Micmac people. Where did the Micmacs live in North America?
This section contains 1,414 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)