|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is defined as the science of artificial application of water to the land or soil?
2. Where was Eleazar Wheelock born?
3. What was an armed conflict between the Lakota, Northern Cheyenne, and Arapaho and the United States in the Wyoming Territory and the Montana Territory from 1866 to 1868?
4. John Norton was adopted by the Mohawks, with who as his uncle?
5. Eleazar Wheelock founded the Moor's Indian Charity School in what year?
Short Essay Questions
1. What solution did the Indians provide for the Americans in their speech from 1793 in Chapter 6?
2. What essay of Joseph Brant's is included in Chapter 6? What is compared in the essay?
3. How is the American strategy for dealing with the Indians during the American Revolution described in Chapter 5? What founding fathers are discussed?
4. What tribe did the central tribe follow in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1? What moral did the tribe learn?
5. What ability did Teharonghyawago gain from the spirit world in John Norton's creation story from Chapter 1?
6. What were methods of the Native Americans to bolster their numbers, as discussed in Chapter 2?
7. How did the Native Americans receive the Dutch in John Heckewelder's text in Chapter 1? Why?
8. What did the Indians refuse to consider in a text from 1793 in Chapter 6?
9. What does the author assert of the attributes and differences between colonial civilization and Native American civilization in Chapter 1?
10. How did smallpox impact the Native American peoples, as discussed in the Introduction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and analyze the process of integration between the Europeans and the Native Americans. How did intermarriage affect the cultures of each community?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the devastation of the Native American community due to smallpox, measles and other disease brought from the Old World. How many Native American tribes were wiped out completely by disease?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the history and origins of storytelling in Native American culture. In what ways do the structures of Native American folktales and myths relate to European and other narrative structures?
This section contains 1,355 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)