|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Iroquois creation story of John Norton's in Chapter 1, an image of the earth is described as sitting on the back of what?
2. John Norton was born of a Cherokee father and a mother from where?
3. In Chekilli's creation story of the Creek people, red feathers mean what symbolically?
4. What is a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance?
5. The earliest physical evidence of smallpox is probably the pustular rash on the mummified body of whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is John Eliot described in Chapter 2? What did Eliot achieve amongst the Indians?
2. In what types of structures did the Native Americans reside? What were the attributes of these structures?
3. How did smallpox impact the Native American peoples, as discussed in the Introduction?
4. What school did Reverend Eleazar Wheelock found? What letters regarding the school are included in Chapter 2?
5. How did the differences in literacy between the Indians and colonists affect land deals, as discussed in the Introduction?
6. How does the author describe the Eurocentric view of America's discovery versus the reality of Indian culture in the Introduction?
7. What story is related in Josiah Jeremy's text from Chapter 1?
8. How involved were Native Americans in colonial society? What does the author write of their role in shaping America in the Introduction?
9. What tribe did the central tribe follow in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1? What moral did the tribe learn?
10. What great spirit attacks the central tribe in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1? How does the tribe overcome the adversity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Chekilli and the Creek people. How did this tribe relate to others? What interaction did the Creek people have with European colonists?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the narrative structure, symbolism and themes in Josiah Jeremy's narrative of the arrival of European missionaries. How is color used symbolically in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss John Eliot, early European Christian missionaries in the colonies, and the establishment of praying towns among the Native Americans. When did Eliot establish his first praying town?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)