|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was John Norton born?
2. Jamestown was a settlement in the Colony of Virginia established by the Virginia Company of London as "James Fort" in what year?
3. What refers to the establishment, maintenance, acquisition and expansion of colonies in one territory by people from another territory?
4. In Chekilli's creation story of the Creek people, red feathers mean what symbolically?
5. Smallpox was responsible for how many estimated deaths during the 20th century?
Short Essay Questions
1. What tribe did the central tribe follow in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1? What moral did the tribe learn?
2. How did the Native Americans receive the Dutch in John Heckewelder's text in Chapter 1? Why?
3. How did smallpox impact the Native American peoples, as discussed in the Introduction?
4. Describe the children of the daughter of the Great Spirit in John Norton's creation story from Chapter 1. Who raised the children?
5. What text of Samson Occom's is included in Chapter 2? Who was Occom?
6. How did the differences in literacy between the Indians and colonists affect land deals, as discussed in the Introduction?
7. What image of the earth's creation is described in John Norton's creation story in Chapter 1? Who was Norton?
8. In what ways did the Europeans take advantage of the Native Americans regarding land, as discussed in the Introduction?
9. What grievances did Powhatan describe in Captain John Smith's text from Chapter 1?
10. How did European trade impact the Native American peoples, as discussed in the Introduction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe John Norton and his relationship to the Iroquois people. When did Norton's creation story from Chapter 1 originate?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and analyze the process of integration between the Europeans and the Native Americans. How did intermarriage affect the cultures of each community?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the devastation of the Native American community due to smallpox, measles and other disease brought from the Old World. How many Native American tribes were wiped out completely by disease?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)