|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The text by Josiah Jeremy in Chapter 1 is dated when?
2. Jamestown was a settlement in the Colony of Virginia established by the Virginia Company of London as "James Fort" in what year?
3. Smallpox probably diverged from an ancestral African rodent-borne variola-like virus between 16,000 and how many years ago?
4. In Chapter 1, an Iroquois creation story provided by John Norton was dated from what year?
5. Where did Samsom Occom settle, set up a school, marry, attend to the sick and to burials, and perform other priestly duties?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did a Micmac Indian compare his people's housing structures versus those of the colonists in a text from Chapter 2?
2. What great spirit attacks the central tribe in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1? How does the tribe overcome the adversity?
3. What does the author suggest the reader keep in mind regarding Indian oratory history and literacy in the Introduction?
4. What text of Samson Occom's is included in Chapter 2? Who was Occom?
5. What ability did Teharonghyawago gain from the spirit world in John Norton's creation story from Chapter 1?
6. What does the author assert of the attributes and differences between colonial civilization and Native American civilization in Chapter 1?
7. How is John Eliot described in Chapter 2? What did Eliot achieve amongst the Indians?
8. How did the differences in literacy between the Indians and colonists affect land deals, as discussed in the Introduction?
9. What tribe did the central tribe follow in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1? What moral did the tribe learn?
10. What image of the earth's creation is described in John Norton's creation story in Chapter 1? Who was Norton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism, themes and meaning of the Iroquois creation myth related by John Norton in Chapter 1. How does this story's structure relate to narrative structures in European folklore?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Chekilli and the Creek people. How did this tribe relate to others? What interaction did the Creek people have with European colonists?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the text of Mary Jemison in Chapter 2. How did Jemison feel about her captors? How did this relationship change?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)