|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What means to compel by force, intimidation, or authority, especially without regard for individual desire or volition?
2. In Chekilli's creation story of the Creek people, white feathers mean what symbolically?
3. When was John Norton born?
4. Samsom Occom began to study theology at the "Lattin School" of Eleazar Wheelock in what year?
5. What refers to human history in the period before recorded events, known mainly through archaeological discoveries, study, research, etc.?
Short Essay Questions
1. What grievances did Powhatan describe in Captain John Smith's text from Chapter 1?
2. Why does the author reason that some Indians turned to Christianity in Chapter 2? What was the result?
3. In what ways did the Europeans take advantage of the Native Americans regarding land, as discussed in the Introduction?
4. What great spirit attacks the central tribe in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1? How does the tribe overcome the adversity?
5. How did the Native Americans receive the Dutch in John Heckewelder's text in Chapter 1? Why?
6. How did European trade impact the Native American peoples, as discussed in the Introduction?
7. What tribe is described in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1?
8. What does the author suggest the reader keep in mind regarding Indian oratory history and literacy in the Introduction?
9. What did a Micmac Indian assert of European wealth in a text from Chapter 2?
10. What story is related in Josiah Jeremy's text from Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the devastation of the Native American community due to smallpox, measles and other disease brought from the Old World. How many Native American tribes were wiped out completely by disease?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the effects of European trade on the Native Americans. Why did the trade industry have such a devastating effect on the population?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and analyze the process of integration between the Europeans and the Native Americans. How did intermarriage affect the cultures of each community?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)