|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, an Iroquois creation story provided by John Norton was dated from what year?
2. In Chekilli's creation story of the Creek people, the Kasihtas were attacked by the King of what with a bow and arrow?
3. When did Eleazar Wheelock die?
4. What was founded by some Marian exiles from the clergy shortly after the accession of Elizabeth I of England in 1558?
5. When was Eleazar Wheelock born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What tribe did the central tribe follow in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1? What moral did the tribe learn?
2. What image of the earth's creation is described in John Norton's creation story in Chapter 1? Who was Norton?
3. In what types of structures did the Native Americans reside? What were the attributes of these structures?
4. What story is related in Josiah Jeremy's text from Chapter 1?
5. How did the Native Americans receive the Dutch in John Heckewelder's text in Chapter 1? Why?
6. What does the author suggest the reader keep in mind regarding Indian oratory history and literacy in the Introduction?
7. What tribe is described in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1?
8. What great spirit attacks the central tribe in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1? How does the tribe overcome the adversity?
9. What school did Reverend Eleazar Wheelock found? What letters regarding the school are included in Chapter 2?
10. What led Samson Occom to convert to Christianity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and analyze the process of integration between the Europeans and the Native Americans. How did intermarriage affect the cultures of each community?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the narrative structure, symbolism and themes in Josiah Jeremy's narrative of the arrival of European missionaries. How is color used symbolically in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the effects of European trade on the Native Americans. Why did the trade industry have such a devastating effect on the population?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)