|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jamestown was a settlement in the Colony of Virginia established by the Virginia Company of London as "James Fort" in what year?
2. Where was John Heckewelder born?
3. In the Iroquois creation story of John Norton's in Chapter 1, Teharonghyawago is given the gift of corn from whom?
4. When was John Heckewelder born?
5. Smallpox is believed to have emerged in human populations about what time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did smallpox impact the Native American peoples, as discussed in the Introduction?
2. What does the author suggest the reader keep in mind regarding Indian oratory history and literacy in the Introduction?
3. What were "client chiefs" and how were they used in controlling the Indians, according to the author in the Introduction?
4. What grievances did Powhatan describe in Captain John Smith's text from Chapter 1?
5. How did a Micmac Indian compare his people's housing structures versus those of the colonists in a text from Chapter 2?
6. How did the Native Americans receive the Dutch in John Heckewelder's text in Chapter 1? Why?
7. What story is related in Josiah Jeremy's text from Chapter 1?
8. What does the author assert of the attributes and differences between colonial civilization and Native American civilization in Chapter 1?
9. Why does the author reason that some Indians turned to Christianity in Chapter 2? What was the result?
10. What great spirit attacks the central tribe in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1? How does the tribe overcome the adversity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the biography of Josiah Jeremy and his relationship to the Micmac people. Where did the Micmacs live in North America?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the "discovery" and colonization of Manhattan, John Heckewelder, and the Mahican people. Where were the Mahican's primarily dwelling when the Dutch settlers arrived?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the devastation of the Native American community due to smallpox, measles and other disease brought from the Old World. How many Native American tribes were wiped out completely by disease?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)