|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dealt a terrible blow to many Indian tribes, leading to further dependence on European goods and foolish land deals?
2. In the Iroquois creation story of John Norton's in Chapter 1, Tawiskaron proves to be a great what?
3. In Chekilli's creation story of the Creek people, the Kasihtas were attacked by the King of what with a bow and arrow?
4. When was Samson Occom born?
5. Smallpox is believed to have emerged in human populations about what time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the differences in literacy between the Indians and colonists affect land deals, as discussed in the Introduction?
2. What image of the earth's creation is described in John Norton's creation story in Chapter 1? Who was Norton?
3. How involved were Native Americans in colonial society? What does the author write of their role in shaping America in the Introduction?
4. What great spirit attacks the central tribe in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1? How does the tribe overcome the adversity?
5. What school did Reverend Eleazar Wheelock found? What letters regarding the school are included in Chapter 2?
6. How did a Micmac Indian compare his people's housing structures versus those of the colonists in a text from Chapter 2?
7. What were methods of the Native Americans to bolster their numbers, as discussed in Chapter 2?
8. How does the author describe the Eurocentric view of America's discovery versus the reality of Indian culture in the Introduction?
9. What were "client chiefs" and how were they used in controlling the Indians, according to the author in the Introduction?
10. What story is related in Josiah Jeremy's text from Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the stories related by Captain John Smith and Josiah Quinney in Chapter 1. What do these narratives relate of the Native American identity and the impact of European colonization?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the effects of European trade on the Native Americans. Why did the trade industry have such a devastating effect on the population?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the text of Mary Jemison in Chapter 2. How did Jemison feel about her captors? How did this relationship change?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)