|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to a person sent by a church into an area to carry on evangelism or other activities?
2. What dealt a terrible blow to many Indian tribes, leading to further dependence on European goods and foolish land deals?
3. Smallpox killed what estimated number of Europeans per year during the closing years of the 18th century?
4. In the Iroquois creation story of John Norton's in Chapter 1, Teharonghyawago grows up how?
5. What was an armed conflict between the Lakota, Northern Cheyenne, and Arapaho and the United States in the Wyoming Territory and the Montana Territory from 1866 to 1868?
Short Essay Questions
1. What text of Samson Occom's is included in Chapter 2? Who was Occom?
2. What tribe is described in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1?
3. In what types of structures did the Native Americans reside? What were the attributes of these structures?
4. Describe the children of the daughter of the Great Spirit in John Norton's creation story from Chapter 1. Who raised the children?
5. What image of the earth's creation is described in John Norton's creation story in Chapter 1? Who was Norton?
6. How involved were Native Americans in colonial society? What does the author write of their role in shaping America in the Introduction?
7. What ability did Teharonghyawago gain from the spirit world in John Norton's creation story from Chapter 1?
8. In what ways did the Europeans take advantage of the Native Americans regarding land, as discussed in the Introduction?
9. What does the author assert of the attributes and differences between colonial civilization and Native American civilization in Chapter 1?
10. How does the author describe the oratory skills of the Native Americans in regard to the stereotype in the Introduction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Chekilli and the Creek people. How did this tribe relate to others? What interaction did the Creek people have with European colonists?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the narrative structure, symbolism and themes in Josiah Jeremy's narrative of the arrival of European missionaries. How is color used symbolically in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe John Norton and his relationship to the Iroquois people. When did Norton's creation story from Chapter 1 originate?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)