|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chekilli's creation story of the Creek people, the Kasihtas followed a tribe called what for many years over different kinds of terrain?
2. When was Eleazar Wheelock born?
3. In Chekilli's creation story of the Creek people, how many tribes did the Kasihtas meet by the mountain?
4. At what age was Samsom Occom first exposed to the teachings of Christian evangelical preachers?
5. Smallpox probably diverged from an ancestral African rodent-borne variola-like virus between 16,000 and how many years ago?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the differences in literacy between the Indians and colonists affect land deals, as discussed in the Introduction?
2. How did smallpox impact the Native American peoples, as discussed in the Introduction?
3. What tribe is described in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1?
4. What grievances did Powhatan describe in Captain John Smith's text from Chapter 1?
5. How is John Eliot described in Chapter 2? What did Eliot achieve amongst the Indians?
6. What does the author suggest the reader keep in mind regarding Indian oratory history and literacy in the Introduction?
7. What were methods of the Native Americans to bolster their numbers, as discussed in Chapter 2?
8. Describe the children of the daughter of the Great Spirit in John Norton's creation story from Chapter 1. Who raised the children?
9. What led Samson Occom to convert to Christianity?
10. What did a Micmac Indian assert of European wealth in a text from Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the effects of European trade on the Native Americans. Why did the trade industry have such a devastating effect on the population?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the impact of European political systems on Native American culture. How did the political structure of Native American civilization change as a result of European influence?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and analyze the process of integration between the Europeans and the Native Americans. How did intermarriage affect the cultures of each community?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)