|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did John Heckewelder die?
2. In Chekilli's creation story of the Creek people, the Kasihtas were attacked by the King of what with a bow and arrow?
3. In the Iroquois creation story of John Norton's in Chapter 1, Teharonghyawago grows up how?
4. What is defined as the science of artificial application of water to the land or soil?
5. In Chekilli's creation story of the Creek people, the Kasihtas followed a tribe called what for many years over different kinds of terrain?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the "guardian system" described in Chapter 3? When and where was it enacted?
2. How does the author describe the oratory skills of the Native Americans in regard to the stereotype in the Introduction?
3. What solution did the Indians provide for the Americans in their speech from 1793 in Chapter 6?
4. Describe the children of the daughter of the Great Spirit in John Norton's creation story from Chapter 1. Who raised the children?
5. In what action was Joseph Brant instrumental during the American Revolution?
6. How is John Eliot described in Chapter 2? What did Eliot achieve amongst the Indians?
7. What text in Chapter 4 describes the motivations of the French to the Iroquois? What is the response to this text?
8. How does the author describe the many land deeds in colonial America in Chapter 3?
9. Why did Minavavana scold the British in his speech in Chapter 4?
10. What did a Micmac Indian assert of European wealth in a text from Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the Native American perspective of land and the European view. How did this cultural difference influence the land deals between Indians and colonists?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Samson Occom and Reverend Eleazar Wheelock. When and where were each of these individuals born? What impact did each have on the Native American community?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the journey of the Kasihtas in Chekilli's creation story. How does the plight of the tribe metaphorically relate to the plight of Native Americans in the face of colonization?
This section contains 1,374 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)