|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the French call children of European and Indian parentage?
2. Eleazar Wheelock founded the Moor's Indian Charity School in what year?
3. What refers to the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning?
4. Smallpox is believed to have emerged in human populations about what time?
5. What refers to human history in the period before recorded events, known mainly through archaeological discoveries, study, research, etc.?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did a Micmac Indian assert of European wealth in a text from Chapter 2?
2. How did the Native Americans receive the Dutch in John Heckewelder's text in Chapter 1? Why?
3. Describe the children of the daughter of the Great Spirit in John Norton's creation story from Chapter 1. Who raised the children?
4. In what types of structures did the Native Americans reside? What were the attributes of these structures?
5. How did a Micmac Indian compare his people's housing structures versus those of the colonists in a text from Chapter 2?
6. What tribe is described in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1?
7. How did European trade impact the Native American peoples, as discussed in the Introduction?
8. How is John Eliot described in Chapter 2? What did Eliot achieve amongst the Indians?
9. What story is related in Josiah Jeremy's text from Chapter 1?
10. How did the differences in literacy between the Indians and colonists affect land deals, as discussed in the Introduction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the impact of European political systems on Native American culture. How did the political structure of Native American civilization change as a result of European influence?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the text of Mary Jemison in Chapter 2. How did Jemison feel about her captors? How did this relationship change?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism, themes and meaning of the Iroquois creation myth related by John Norton in Chapter 1. How does this story's structure relate to narrative structures in European folklore?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)