|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The text by Josiah Jeremy in Chapter 1 is dated when?
2. According to the author in Chapter 2, in addition to intermarriage, some tribes sought to bolster their numbers by what means?
3. What word refers to the practice of viewing the world from a European perspective and with an implied belief, either consciously or subconsciously, in the preeminence of European culture?
4. When did John Eliot die?
5. At what age was Samsom Occom first exposed to the teachings of Christian evangelical preachers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author assert of the attributes and differences between colonial civilization and Native American civilization in Chapter 1?
2. Why does the author reason that some Indians turned to Christianity in Chapter 2? What was the result?
3. In what types of structures did the Native Americans reside? What were the attributes of these structures?
4. How does the author describe the oratory skills of the Native Americans in regard to the stereotype in the Introduction?
5. What text of Samson Occom's is included in Chapter 2? Who was Occom?
6. What great spirit attacks the central tribe in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1? How does the tribe overcome the adversity?
7. Describe the children of the daughter of the Great Spirit in John Norton's creation story from Chapter 1. Who raised the children?
8. How did the Native Americans receive the Dutch in John Heckewelder's text in Chapter 1? Why?
9. In what ways did the Europeans take advantage of the Native Americans regarding land, as discussed in the Introduction?
10. What ability did Teharonghyawago gain from the spirit world in John Norton's creation story from Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the housing structures and villages established amongst the Native American tribes. How much variance was there in housing structure?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss John Eliot, early European Christian missionaries in the colonies, and the establishment of praying towns among the Native Americans. When did Eliot establish his first praying town?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the "discovery" and colonization of Manhattan, John Heckewelder, and the Mahican people. Where were the Mahican's primarily dwelling when the Dutch settlers arrived?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)