|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was John Heckewelder born?
2. In Chekilli's creation story of the Creek people, the Kasihtas proved their seniority among the other tribes by having a great war, and accumulating more what than other tribes?
3. What is a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance?
4. In Chekilli's creation story of the Creek people, the Kasihtas killed what great animal by sacrificing an orphan baby to it?
5. What is defined as a sacred narrative explaining how the world and humankind came to be in their present form?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author reason that some Indians turned to Christianity in Chapter 2? What was the result?
2. How is John Eliot described in Chapter 2? What did Eliot achieve amongst the Indians?
3. How did a Micmac Indian compare his people's housing structures versus those of the colonists in a text from Chapter 2?
4. Describe the children of the daughter of the Great Spirit in John Norton's creation story from Chapter 1. Who raised the children?
5. What led Samson Occom to convert to Christianity?
6. What were methods of the Native Americans to bolster their numbers, as discussed in Chapter 2?
7. What image of the earth's creation is described in John Norton's creation story in Chapter 1? Who was Norton?
8. What does the author assert of the attributes and differences between colonial civilization and Native American civilization in Chapter 1?
9. What ability did Teharonghyawago gain from the spirit world in John Norton's creation story from Chapter 1?
10. What school did Reverend Eleazar Wheelock found? What letters regarding the school are included in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the impact of European political systems on Native American culture. How did the political structure of Native American civilization change as a result of European influence?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the devastation of the Native American community due to smallpox, measles and other disease brought from the Old World. How many Native American tribes were wiped out completely by disease?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the journey of the Kasihtas in Chekilli's creation story. How does the plight of the tribe metaphorically relate to the plight of Native Americans in the face of colonization?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)