|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term means having a vocabulary composed primarily of short, simple words?
2. The first known Europeans to reach the Americas were who during the 11th century?
3. Some estimates indicate case fatality rates of what percentage in Native American populations during smallpox epidemics?
4. In Chapter 1, John Heckewelder relates a "verbatim" account from the Delaware and Mahican Indians of the Dutch landing in an area that is now known as what?
5. What was a Christian revitalization movement that swept Protestant Europe and British America, and especially the American colonies in the 1730s and 1740s, leaving a permanent impact on American religion?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the oratory skills of the Native Americans in regard to the stereotype in the Introduction?
2. How did European trade impact the Native American peoples, as discussed in the Introduction?
3. How did the Native Americans receive the Dutch in John Heckewelder's text in Chapter 1? Why?
4. What image of the earth's creation is described in John Norton's creation story in Chapter 1? Who was Norton?
5. What does the author assert of the attributes and differences between colonial civilization and Native American civilization in Chapter 1?
6. In what ways did the Europeans take advantage of the Native Americans regarding land, as discussed in the Introduction?
7. How did smallpox impact the Native American peoples, as discussed in the Introduction?
8. How did a Micmac Indian compare his people's housing structures versus those of the colonists in a text from Chapter 2?
9. What great spirit attacks the central tribe in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1? How does the tribe overcome the adversity?
10. In what types of structures did the Native Americans reside? What were the attributes of these structures?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Columbus' journey to the Americas, the subsequent European colonization of the continent, and the culture and customs of Native Americans prior to and post European colonization. How does the reality of Native American civilization differ from the Eurocentric viewpoint?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the housing structures and villages established amongst the Native American tribes. How much variance was there in housing structure?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the text of the Micmac Indian in Chapter 2. What elements of European culture are criticized by the Native American and why?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)