|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a person appointed by a national government to conduct official negotiations and maintain political, economic, and social relations with another country or countries?
2. When was Eleazar Wheelock born?
3. When was John Eliot born?
4. In Chekilli's creation story of the Creek people, red feathers mean what symbolically?
5. When did John Eliot die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author suggest the reader keep in mind regarding Indian oratory history and literacy in the Introduction?
2. How does the author describe the Eurocentric view of America's discovery versus the reality of Indian culture in the Introduction?
3. What school did Reverend Eleazar Wheelock found? What letters regarding the school are included in Chapter 2?
4. What ability did Teharonghyawago gain from the spirit world in John Norton's creation story from Chapter 1?
5. What story is related in Josiah Jeremy's text from Chapter 1?
6. What were "client chiefs" and how were they used in controlling the Indians, according to the author in the Introduction?
7. How did smallpox impact the Native American peoples, as discussed in the Introduction?
8. What text of Samson Occom's is included in Chapter 2? Who was Occom?
9. How did the differences in literacy between the Indians and colonists affect land deals, as discussed in the Introduction?
10. How did European trade impact the Native American peoples, as discussed in the Introduction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the effects of European trade on the Native Americans. Why did the trade industry have such a devastating effect on the population?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the housing structures and villages established amongst the Native American tribes. How much variance was there in housing structure?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and analyze the process of integration between the Europeans and the Native Americans. How did intermarriage affect the cultures of each community?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)