|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was John Heckewelder born?
2. What is defined as a sacred narrative explaining how the world and humankind came to be in their present form?
3. The text by Josiah Jeremy in Chapter 1 is dated when?
4. John Norton was born of a Cherokee father and a mother from where?
5. In Chekilli's creation story of the Creek people, the West opened up, and a tribe named the Kasihtas settled near a mountain so great and thunderous they called it what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were methods of the Native Americans to bolster their numbers, as discussed in Chapter 2?
2. What tribe is described in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1?
3. What grievances did Powhatan describe in Captain John Smith's text from Chapter 1?
4. How did smallpox impact the Native American peoples, as discussed in the Introduction?
5. What does the author assert of the attributes and differences between colonial civilization and Native American civilization in Chapter 1?
6. What tribe did the central tribe follow in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1? What moral did the tribe learn?
7. What does the author suggest the reader keep in mind regarding Indian oratory history and literacy in the Introduction?
8. What great spirit attacks the central tribe in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1? How does the tribe overcome the adversity?
9. How did the Native Americans receive the Dutch in John Heckewelder's text in Chapter 1? Why?
10. What led Samson Occom to convert to Christianity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the Native American perspective of land and the European view. How did this cultural difference influence the land deals between Indians and colonists?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Columbus' journey to the Americas, the subsequent European colonization of the continent, and the culture and customs of Native Americans prior to and post European colonization. How does the reality of Native American civilization differ from the Eurocentric viewpoint?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the stories related by Captain John Smith and Josiah Quinney in Chapter 1. What do these narratives relate of the Native American identity and the impact of European colonization?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)