Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Smallpox probably diverged from an ancestral African rodent-borne variola-like virus between 16,000 and how many years ago?
2. Where was John Eliot born?
3. John Norton was adopted by the Mohawks, with who as his uncle?
4. In the Iroquois creation story of John Norton's in Chapter 1, a "Great Spirit" punishes his daughter for what by casting her down a great hole in the heavens?
5. In Chekilli's creation story of the Creek people, red feathers mean what symbolically?
Short Essay Questions
1. What image of the earth's creation is described in John Norton's creation story in Chapter 1? Who was Norton?
2. Describe the Walking Purchase of 1737. Who was affected by this deal?
3. How did the Treaty of Greenville and the Indian Removal Act impact the Native Americans?
4. How did European trade impact the Native American peoples, as discussed in the Introduction?
5. What did the Indians refuse to consider in a text from 1793 in Chapter 6?
6. What great spirit attacks the central tribe in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1? How does the tribe overcome the adversity?
7. What became of White Eyes and the Delaware Indians in 1782?
8. With whom did the majority of Native Americans side with in the American Revolution? What were their feelings of the war?
9. What did the Native Americans feel about the French and Indian War? What is revealed in a 1758 speech about the war in Chapter 4?
10. Why did Minavavana scold the British in his speech in Chapter 4?
Describe Samson Occom and Reverend Eleazar Wheelock. When and where were each of these individuals born? What impact did each have on the Native American community?
Discuss Columbus' journey to the Americas, the subsequent European colonization of the continent, and the culture and customs of Native Americans prior to and post European colonization. How does the reality of Native American civilization differ from the Eurocentric viewpoint?
Compare and contrast the stories related by Captain John Smith and Josiah Quinney in Chapter 1. What do these narratives relate of the Native American identity and the impact of European colonization?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)