|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Iroquois creation story of John Norton's in Chapter 1, Teharonghyawago is given the gift of corn from whom?
2. The Chichimeca War was a military conflict waged between Spanish colonizers against a confederation of Chichimeca Indians during what years?
3. In the Iroquois creation story of John Norton's in Chapter 1, Tawiskaron proves to be a great what?
4. When did John Eliot die?
5. When was John Heckewelder born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author assert of the attributes and differences between colonial civilization and Native American civilization in Chapter 1?
2. How did smallpox impact the Native American peoples, as discussed in the Introduction?
3. What great spirit attacks the central tribe in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1? How does the tribe overcome the adversity?
4. How involved were Native Americans in colonial society? What does the author write of their role in shaping America in the Introduction?
5. What disputes led to the Indian Nonintercourse Act? When was it signed into law?
6. What text included in Chapter 3 relates the account of Penobscot? What does it concern?
7. What were "client chiefs" and how were they used in controlling the Indians, according to the author in the Introduction?
8. How does the author describe the many land deeds in colonial America in Chapter 3?
9. What story is related in Josiah Jeremy's text from Chapter 1?
10. Who did the Chickasaw Indians make a speech to in Chapter 4? Why?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the impact of European political systems on Native American culture. How did the political structure of Native American civilization change as a result of European influence?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the effects of European trade on the Native Americans. Why did the trade industry have such a devastating effect on the population?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the stories related by Captain John Smith and Josiah Quinney in Chapter 1. What do these narratives relate of the Native American identity and the impact of European colonization?
This section contains 1,332 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)