|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The earliest physical evidence of smallpox is probably the pustular rash on the mummified body of whom?
2. What is defined as a sacred narrative explaining how the world and humankind came to be in their present form?
3. What dealt a terrible blow to many Indian tribes, leading to further dependence on European goods and foolish land deals?
4. The Arauco War was a conflict between colonial Spaniards and who?
5. Jamestown was a settlement in the Colony of Virginia established by the Virginia Company of London as "James Fort" in what year?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did a Micmac Indian assert of European wealth in a text from Chapter 2?
2. How did a Micmac Indian compare his people's housing structures versus those of the colonists in a text from Chapter 2?
3. Why does the author reason that some Indians turned to Christianity in Chapter 2? What was the result?
4. In what ways did the Europeans take advantage of the Native Americans regarding land, as discussed in the Introduction?
5. What tribe is described in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1?
6. What does the author assert of the attributes and differences between colonial civilization and Native American civilization in Chapter 1?
7. What text of Samson Occom's is included in Chapter 2? Who was Occom?
8. What story is related in Josiah Jeremy's text from Chapter 1?
9. How does the author describe the Eurocentric view of America's discovery versus the reality of Indian culture in the Introduction?
10. How did smallpox impact the Native American peoples, as discussed in the Introduction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the history and origins of storytelling in Native American culture. In what ways do the structures of Native American folktales and myths relate to European and other narrative structures?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the text of Mary Jemison in Chapter 2. How did Jemison feel about her captors? How did this relationship change?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the effects of European trade on the Native Americans. Why did the trade industry have such a devastating effect on the population?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)