|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age was Samsom Occom first exposed to the teachings of Christian evangelical preachers?
2. What is the most severe and common form of smallpox, with a more extensive rash and higher fever?
3. The Arauco War was a conflict between colonial Spaniards and who?
4. When did Eleazar Wheelock die?
5. John Norton was born of a Cherokee father and a mother from where?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the children of the daughter of the Great Spirit in John Norton's creation story from Chapter 1. Who raised the children?
2. What tribe is described in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1?
3. What led Samson Occom to convert to Christianity?
4. How does the author describe the oratory skills of the Native Americans in regard to the stereotype in the Introduction?
5. How did a Micmac Indian compare his people's housing structures versus those of the colonists in a text from Chapter 2?
6. How did European trade impact the Native American peoples, as discussed in the Introduction?
7. What did a Micmac Indian assert of European wealth in a text from Chapter 2?
8. What school did Reverend Eleazar Wheelock found? What letters regarding the school are included in Chapter 2?
9. In what types of structures did the Native Americans reside? What were the attributes of these structures?
10. How did smallpox impact the Native American peoples, as discussed in the Introduction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Samson Occom and Reverend Eleazar Wheelock. When and where were each of these individuals born? What impact did each have on the Native American community?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the text of Mary Jemison in Chapter 2. How did Jemison feel about her captors? How did this relationship change?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the narrative structure, symbolism and themes in Josiah Jeremy's narrative of the arrival of European missionaries. How is color used symbolically in the story?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)