|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Eleazar Wheelock die?
2. In the Iroquois creation story of John Norton's in Chapter 1, Tawiskaron proves to be a great what?
3. John Norton was born of a Cherokee father and a mother from where?
4. Eleazar Wheelock founded the Moor's Indian Charity School in what year?
5. Some estimates indicate case fatality rates of what percentage in Native American populations during smallpox epidemics?
Short Essay Questions
1. What grievances did Powhatan describe in Captain John Smith's text from Chapter 1?
2. In what types of structures did the Native Americans reside? What were the attributes of these structures?
3. What did a Micmac Indian assert of European wealth in a text from Chapter 2?
4. How did the Native Americans receive the Dutch in John Heckewelder's text in Chapter 1? Why?
5. How does the author describe the oratory skills of the Native Americans in regard to the stereotype in the Introduction?
6. What great spirit attacks the central tribe in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1? How does the tribe overcome the adversity?
7. How did smallpox impact the Native American peoples, as discussed in the Introduction?
8. What school did Reverend Eleazar Wheelock found? What letters regarding the school are included in Chapter 2?
9. What text of Samson Occom's is included in Chapter 2? Who was Occom?
10. What were methods of the Native Americans to bolster their numbers, as discussed in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the Native American perspective of land and the European view. How did this cultural difference influence the land deals between Indians and colonists?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the housing structures and villages established amongst the Native American tribes. How much variance was there in housing structure?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the biography of Josiah Jeremy and his relationship to the Micmac people. Where did the Micmacs live in North America?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)