|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Eleazar Wheelock born?
2. In the Iroquois creation story of John Norton's in Chapter 1, Tawiskaron proves to be a great what?
3. In the Iroquois creation story of John Norton's in Chapter 1, Teharonghyawago grows up how?
4. What refers to both the process and product of planning, designing and construction of buildings or structures?
5. What was founded by some Marian exiles from the clergy shortly after the accession of Elizabeth I of England in 1558?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the oratory skills of the Native Americans in regard to the stereotype in the Introduction?
2. What great spirit attacks the central tribe in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1? How does the tribe overcome the adversity?
3. How did the Native Americans receive the Dutch in John Heckewelder's text in Chapter 1? Why?
4. What tribe is described in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1?
5. In what types of structures did the Native Americans reside? What were the attributes of these structures?
6. What were "client chiefs" and how were they used in controlling the Indians, according to the author in the Introduction?
7. What ability did Teharonghyawago gain from the spirit world in John Norton's creation story from Chapter 1?
8. What were methods of the Native Americans to bolster their numbers, as discussed in Chapter 2?
9. What does the author assert of the attributes and differences between colonial civilization and Native American civilization in Chapter 1?
10. How did the differences in literacy between the Indians and colonists affect land deals, as discussed in the Introduction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Chekilli and the Creek people. How did this tribe relate to others? What interaction did the Creek people have with European colonists?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the history and origins of storytelling in Native American culture. In what ways do the structures of Native American folktales and myths relate to European and other narrative structures?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the text of the Micmac Indian in Chapter 2. What elements of European culture are criticized by the Native American and why?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)