|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word refers to the practice of viewing the world from a European perspective and with an implied belief, either consciously or subconsciously, in the preeminence of European culture?
2. When was Eleazar Wheelock born?
3. What refers to the establishment, maintenance, acquisition and expansion of colonies in one territory by people from another territory?
4. John Eliot wrote a series of fictional "dialogues" such as one which is reprinted in Chapter 2 describing a converted Indian named what who returns to his native village?
5. In the Iroquois creation story of John Norton's in Chapter 1, Tawiskaron proves to be a great what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How involved were Native Americans in colonial society? What does the author write of their role in shaping America in the Introduction?
2. Describe the children of the daughter of the Great Spirit in John Norton's creation story from Chapter 1. Who raised the children?
3. What school did Reverend Eleazar Wheelock found? What letters regarding the school are included in Chapter 2?
4. How is John Eliot described in Chapter 2? What did Eliot achieve amongst the Indians?
5. How did the Native Americans receive the Dutch in John Heckewelder's text in Chapter 1? Why?
6. What grievances did Powhatan describe in Captain John Smith's text from Chapter 1?
7. In what ways did the Europeans take advantage of the Native Americans regarding land, as discussed in the Introduction?
8. How did a Micmac Indian compare his people's housing structures versus those of the colonists in a text from Chapter 2?
9. What were methods of the Native Americans to bolster their numbers, as discussed in Chapter 2?
10. What does the author suggest the reader keep in mind regarding Indian oratory history and literacy in the Introduction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the impact of European political systems on Native American culture. How did the political structure of Native American civilization change as a result of European influence?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the journey of the Kasihtas in Chekilli's creation story. How does the plight of the tribe metaphorically relate to the plight of Native Americans in the face of colonization?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the effects of European trade on the Native Americans. Why did the trade industry have such a devastating effect on the population?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)