|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Chichimeca War was a military conflict waged between Spanish colonizers against a confederation of Chichimeca Indians during what years?
2. John Eliot emigrated to Boston, Massachusetts, on what ship?
3. What refers to both the process and product of planning, designing and construction of buildings or structures?
4. In Chekilli's creation story of the Creek people, how many tribes did the Kasihtas meet by the mountain?
5. When did Samson Occom die?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did European trade impact the Native American peoples, as discussed in the Introduction?
2. How did the Native Americans receive the Dutch in John Heckewelder's text in Chapter 1? Why?
3. In what ways did the Europeans take advantage of the Native Americans regarding land, as discussed in the Introduction?
4. What tribe did the central tribe follow in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1? What moral did the tribe learn?
5. In what types of structures did the Native Americans reside? What were the attributes of these structures?
6. What school did Reverend Eleazar Wheelock found? What letters regarding the school are included in Chapter 2?
7. What grievances did Powhatan describe in Captain John Smith's text from Chapter 1?
8. How does the author describe the Eurocentric view of America's discovery versus the reality of Indian culture in the Introduction?
9. What were "client chiefs" and how were they used in controlling the Indians, according to the author in the Introduction?
10. What great spirit attacks the central tribe in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1? How does the tribe overcome the adversity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism, themes and meaning of the Iroquois creation myth related by John Norton in Chapter 1. How does this story's structure relate to narrative structures in European folklore?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the housing structures and villages established amongst the Native American tribes. How much variance was there in housing structure?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the narrative structure, symbolism and themes in Josiah Jeremy's narrative of the arrival of European missionaries. How is color used symbolically in the story?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)