|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. John Norton was adopted by the Mohawks, with who as his uncle?
2. In Chapter 1, an Iroquois creation story provided by John Norton was dated from what year?
3. What refers to a person sent by a church into an area to carry on evangelism or other activities?
4. Of what tribe was Josiah Jeremy?
5. In what year did the Moor's Indian Charity School move to Hanover, New Hampshire?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did a Micmac Indian compare his people's housing structures versus those of the colonists in a text from Chapter 2?
2. How did European trade impact the Native American peoples, as discussed in the Introduction?
3. What does the author assert of the attributes and differences between colonial civilization and Native American civilization in Chapter 1?
4. What image of the earth's creation is described in John Norton's creation story in Chapter 1? Who was Norton?
5. How involved were Native Americans in colonial society? What does the author write of their role in shaping America in the Introduction?
6. How is John Eliot described in Chapter 2? What did Eliot achieve amongst the Indians?
7. In what types of structures did the Native Americans reside? What were the attributes of these structures?
8. What story is related in Josiah Jeremy's text from Chapter 1?
9. What tribe did the central tribe follow in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1? What moral did the tribe learn?
10. What ability did Teharonghyawago gain from the spirit world in John Norton's creation story from Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Chekilli and the Creek people. How did this tribe relate to others? What interaction did the Creek people have with European colonists?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the text of the Micmac Indian in Chapter 2. What elements of European culture are criticized by the Native American and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the effects of European trade on the Native Americans. Why did the trade industry have such a devastating effect on the population?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)