|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Samson Occom is believed to be a direct descendant of what famous Mohegan chief?
2. Where did Samsom Occom settle, set up a school, marry, attend to the sick and to burials, and perform other priestly duties?
3. In Chekilli's creation story of the Creek people, the Kasihtas were attacked by the King of what with a bow and arrow?
4. Jamestown was a settlement in the Colony of Virginia established by the Virginia Company of London as "James Fort" in what year?
5. John Norton was adopted by the Mohawks, with who as his uncle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ability did Teharonghyawago gain from the spirit world in John Norton's creation story from Chapter 1?
2. What tribe is described in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1?
3. How is John Eliot described in Chapter 2? What did Eliot achieve amongst the Indians?
4. What tribe did the central tribe follow in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1? What moral did the tribe learn?
5. What text of Samson Occom's is included in Chapter 2? Who was Occom?
6. Why does the author reason that some Indians turned to Christianity in Chapter 2? What was the result?
7. How did the differences in literacy between the Indians and colonists affect land deals, as discussed in the Introduction?
8. What image of the earth's creation is described in John Norton's creation story in Chapter 1? Who was Norton?
9. What does the author suggest the reader keep in mind regarding Indian oratory history and literacy in the Introduction?
10. Describe the children of the daughter of the Great Spirit in John Norton's creation story from Chapter 1. Who raised the children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the history and origins of storytelling in Native American culture. In what ways do the structures of Native American folktales and myths relate to European and other narrative structures?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the narrative structure, symbolism and themes in Josiah Jeremy's narrative of the arrival of European missionaries. How is color used symbolically in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss John Eliot, early European Christian missionaries in the colonies, and the establishment of praying towns among the Native Americans. When did Eliot establish his first praying town?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)