|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. John Norton was adopted by the Mohawks, with who as his uncle?
2. What term means having a vocabulary composed primarily of short, simple words?
3. The first known Europeans to reach the Americas were who during the 11th century?
4. In Chekilli's creation story of the Creek people, red feathers mean what symbolically?
5. Where was John Eliot born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the children of the daughter of the Great Spirit in John Norton's creation story from Chapter 1. Who raised the children?
2. How involved were Native Americans in colonial society? What does the author write of their role in shaping America in the Introduction?
3. What ability did Teharonghyawago gain from the spirit world in John Norton's creation story from Chapter 1?
4. How is John Eliot described in Chapter 2? What did Eliot achieve amongst the Indians?
5. What tribe is described in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1?
6. In what types of structures did the Native Americans reside? What were the attributes of these structures?
7. What grievances did Powhatan describe in Captain John Smith's text from Chapter 1?
8. In what ways did the Europeans take advantage of the Native Americans regarding land, as discussed in the Introduction?
9. What text of Samson Occom's is included in Chapter 2? Who was Occom?
10. What does the author assert of the attributes and differences between colonial civilization and Native American civilization in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the impact of European political systems on Native American culture. How did the political structure of Native American civilization change as a result of European influence?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the text of Mary Jemison in Chapter 2. How did Jemison feel about her captors? How did this relationship change?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the housing structures and villages established amongst the Native American tribes. How much variance was there in housing structure?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)