|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the topic of intertribal wars, a speech by a Cayuga chief named what revealed the extent to which the Europeans succeeded in turning tribes against one another in Chapter 4?
(a) La Barre.
2. Who were the Iroquois allied with in the American Revolutionary War?
(a) The French.
(b) The Americans.
(c) The Spanish.
(d) The British.
3. A speech was given by what Oneida Indian in Chapter 4, promising to uphold the peace between the tribe and the English, but questioning the English for using Indians to fight their wars for them?
(b) La Barre.
4. In Chapter 3, Penobscot recounted his part in the negotiations, in which he never stated anything about handing over land but only that he wished for what?
(a) Colonists to leave.
(b) Monetary repayment.
(c) The freedom of slaves.
(d) Hostilities to end.
5. Chief Pontiac was a leader of what Native American tribe?
(a) The Ouachita people.
(b) The Apache people.
(c) The Cherokee people.
(d) The Ottawa people.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, a Cayuga chief described what tribe as warlike and treacherous, when in reality they were peace-loving?
2. Joseph Mittark was the sachem of what tribe?
3. A speech by a Chippewa chief named what rejected the presumption that the English were simply going to inherit Indian lands gained by the French in Chapter 4?
4. When was Phineas Stevens born?
5. Dragging Canoe led Cherokee Indians inclined to fight whom during the American Revolutionary War?
Short Essay Questions
1. With whom did the majority of Native Americans side with in the American Revolution? What were their feelings of the war?
2. What disputes led to the Indian Nonintercourse Act? When was it signed into law?
3. What text in Chapter 4 describes the motivations of the French to the Iroquois? What is the response to this text?
4. When was the Treaty of Fort Stanwix signed? Who opposed it?
5. When did Pontiac's War take place? What results arose from the war?
6. What was the subject of Gachadow's speech in Chapter 4? What is represented in this text?
7. What did Minavavana reject in his speech in Chapter 4? When was this speech given?
8. What was the intention behind "Act of Submission"? Who wrote this text from Chapter 3?
9. What did the Native Americans feel about the French and Indian War? What is revealed in a 1758 speech about the war in Chapter 4?
10. What was the subject of the speech by the Oneida Indians in Chapter 5? What was the outcome for these people in the war?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)