|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Eleazar Wheelock die?
2. What dealt a terrible blow to many Indian tribes, leading to further dependence on European goods and foolish land deals?
(a) Marijuana addiction.
(c) Opium addiction.
(d) Caffeine addiction.
3. Smallpox is believed to have emerged in human populations about what time?
(a) 1,000 B.C.
(b) 5,000 B.C.
(c) 15,000 B.C.
(d) 10,000 B.C.
4. What is a person appointed by a national government to conduct official negotiations and maintain political, economic, and social relations with another country or countries?
5. What is defined as a sacred narrative explaining how the world and humankind came to be in their present form?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, an Iroquois creation story provided by John Norton was dated from what year?
2. The Chichimeca War was a military conflict waged between Spanish colonizers against a confederation of Chichimeca Indians during what years?
3. When was John Norton born?
4. In the Iroquois creation story of John Norton's in Chapter 1, Teharonghyawago is given the gift of corn from whom?
5. The earliest physical evidence of smallpox is probably the pustular rash on the mummified body of whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did a Micmac Indian compare his people's housing structures versus those of the colonists in a text from Chapter 2?
2. What led Samson Occom to convert to Christianity?
3. What does the author suggest the reader keep in mind regarding Indian oratory history and literacy in the Introduction?
4. How did the differences in literacy between the Indians and colonists affect land deals, as discussed in the Introduction?
5. What great spirit attacks the central tribe in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1? How does the tribe overcome the adversity?
6. How does the author describe the Eurocentric view of America's discovery versus the reality of Indian culture in the Introduction?
7. What tribe is described in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1?
8. How is John Eliot described in Chapter 2? What did Eliot achieve amongst the Indians?
9. What ability did Teharonghyawago gain from the spirit world in John Norton's creation story from Chapter 1?
10. What does the author assert of the attributes and differences between colonial civilization and Native American civilization in Chapter 1?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)