|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Samsom Occom had problems with what dying on him, leading him into debt?
(a) Corn crops.
2. What did the French call children of European and Indian parentage?
3. What was founded by some Marian exiles from the clergy shortly after the accession of Elizabeth I of England in 1558?
4. John Eliot wrote a series of fictional "dialogues" such as one which is reprinted in Chapter 2 describing a converted Indian named what who returns to his native village?
(b) Joseph Brant.
5. The first known Europeans to reach the Americas were who during the 11th century?
(a) The Italians.
(b) The Druids.
(c) The Vikings.
(d) The Portugese.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chekilli's creation story of the Creek people, white feathers mean what symbolically?
2. When did John Eliot die?
3. What refers to a person sent by a church into an area to carry on evangelism or other activities?
4. What refers to the establishment, maintenance, acquisition and expansion of colonies in one territory by people from another territory?
5. The text by Josiah Jeremy in Chapter 1 is dated when?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the differences in literacy between the Indians and colonists affect land deals, as discussed in the Introduction?
2. How does the author describe the Eurocentric view of America's discovery versus the reality of Indian culture in the Introduction?
3. What were methods of the Native Americans to bolster their numbers, as discussed in Chapter 2?
4. How did the Native Americans receive the Dutch in John Heckewelder's text in Chapter 1? Why?
5. What does the author assert of the attributes and differences between colonial civilization and Native American civilization in Chapter 1?
6. What led Samson Occom to convert to Christianity?
7. What tribe did the central tribe follow in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1? What moral did the tribe learn?
8. In what types of structures did the Native Americans reside? What were the attributes of these structures?
9. How involved were Native Americans in colonial society? What does the author write of their role in shaping America in the Introduction?
10. What story is related in Josiah Jeremy's text from Chapter 1?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)