Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Smallpox probably diverged from an ancestral African rodent-borne variola-like virus between 16,000 and how many years ago?
2. Where was John Eliot born?
(a) Dublin, Ireland.
(b) Hertfordshire, England.
(c) London, England.
(d) Ross, Scotland.
3. John Norton was adopted by the Mohawks, with who as his uncle?
(a) Joseph Brant.
(b) King Philip.
(c) Alexander McGillivray.
4. In the Iroquois creation story of John Norton's in Chapter 1, a "Great Spirit" punishes his daughter for what by casting her down a great hole in the heavens?
(a) Falling in love with a mortal.
(b) Disobeying his will.
(c) Becoming pregnant out of wedlock.
(d) Killing her brother.
5. In Chekilli's creation story of the Creek people, red feathers mean what symbolically?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is defined as the science of artificial application of water to the land or soil?
2. When was Mary Jemison captured by the Seneca tribe and taken to western New York?
3. When did John Eliot come to America?
4. The start of the European colonization of the Americas is typically dated to what year?
5. The Mohawk Major John Norton was known as what by his people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What image of the earth's creation is described in John Norton's creation story in Chapter 1? Who was Norton?
2. Describe the Walking Purchase of 1737. Who was affected by this deal?
3. How did the Treaty of Greenville and the Indian Removal Act impact the Native Americans?
4. How did European trade impact the Native American peoples, as discussed in the Introduction?
5. What did the Indians refuse to consider in a text from 1793 in Chapter 6?
6. What great spirit attacks the central tribe in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1? How does the tribe overcome the adversity?
7. What became of White Eyes and the Delaware Indians in 1782?
8. With whom did the majority of Native Americans side with in the American Revolution? What were their feelings of the war?
9. What did the Native Americans feel about the French and Indian War? What is revealed in a 1758 speech about the war in Chapter 4?
10. Why did Minavavana scold the British in his speech in Chapter 4?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)