|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what tribe was Josiah Jeremy?
(a) The Apache people.
(b) The Micmac Indians.
(c) The Cherokee people.
(d) The Apalachicolas.
2. When did John Eliot die?
3. John Norton played a prominent role in what conflict, leading Iroquois warriors from Grand River into battle against American invaders?
(a) The French and Indian War.
(b) Red Cloud's War.
(c) The War of 1812.
(d) King Philip's War.
4. What dealt a terrible blow to many Indian tribes, leading to further dependence on European goods and foolish land deals?
(b) Caffeine addiction.
(c) Opium addiction.
(d) Marijuana addiction.
5. What is the most severe and common form of smallpox, with a more extensive rash and higher fever?
(a) Variola incubus.
(b) Variola major.
(c) Variola sine eruptione.
(d) Variola minor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Samsom Occom began to study theology at the "Lattin School" of Eleazar Wheelock in what year?
2. What term means having a vocabulary composed primarily of short, simple words?
3. When was Mary Jemison captured by the Seneca tribe and taken to western New York?
4. In Chekilli's creation story of the Creek people, the Kasihtas killed what great animal by sacrificing an orphan baby to it?
5. What means to compel by force, intimidation, or authority, especially without regard for individual desire or volition?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author reason that some Indians turned to Christianity in Chapter 2? What was the result?
2. How did a Micmac Indian compare his people's housing structures versus those of the colonists in a text from Chapter 2?
3. What text of Samson Occom's is included in Chapter 2? Who was Occom?
4. In what ways did the Europeans take advantage of the Native Americans regarding land, as discussed in the Introduction?
5. What ability did Teharonghyawago gain from the spirit world in John Norton's creation story from Chapter 1?
6. In what types of structures did the Native Americans reside? What were the attributes of these structures?
7. What were "client chiefs" and how were they used in controlling the Indians, according to the author in the Introduction?
8. Describe the children of the daughter of the Great Spirit in John Norton's creation story from Chapter 1. Who raised the children?
9. How did the differences in literacy between the Indians and colonists affect land deals, as discussed in the Introduction?
10. What school did Reverend Eleazar Wheelock found? What letters regarding the school are included in Chapter 2?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)