|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Smallpox is believed to have emerged in human populations about what time?
(a) 5,000 B.C.
(b) 10,000 B.C.
(c) 1,000 B.C.
(d) 15,000 B.C.
2. The Arauco War was a conflict between colonial Spaniards and who?
(a) The Mapuche people.
(b) The Aztec people.
(c) The Apache people.
(d) The Iriquois people.
3. In Chekilli's creation story of the Creek people, white feathers mean what symbolically?
4. Smallpox was responsible for how many estimated deaths during the 20th century?
(a) 100-200 million.
(b) 100-300 million.
(c) 300-500 million.
(d) 600-800 million.
5. John Eliot wrote a series of fictional "dialogues" such as one which is reprinted in Chapter 2 describing a converted Indian named what who returns to his native village?
(a) Joseph Brant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Samson Occom is believed to be a direct descendant of what famous Mohegan chief?
2. When did Eleazar Wheelock die?
3. The text by Josiah Jeremy in Chapter 1 is dated when?
4. In the Iroquois creation story of John Norton's in Chapter 1, who kills the daughter of the "Great Spirit" in childbirth by trying to exit the womb from "the side"?
5. When was Eleazar Wheelock born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Native Americans receive the Dutch in John Heckewelder's text in Chapter 1? Why?
2. What text of Samson Occom's is included in Chapter 2? Who was Occom?
3. What tribe did the central tribe follow in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1? What moral did the tribe learn?
4. In what ways did the Europeans take advantage of the Native Americans regarding land, as discussed in the Introduction?
5. What grievances did Powhatan describe in Captain John Smith's text from Chapter 1?
6. How does the author describe the oratory skills of the Native Americans in regard to the stereotype in the Introduction?
7. Describe the children of the daughter of the Great Spirit in John Norton's creation story from Chapter 1. Who raised the children?
8. How did the differences in literacy between the Indians and colonists affect land deals, as discussed in the Introduction?
9. How did smallpox impact the Native American peoples, as discussed in the Introduction?
10. What image of the earth's creation is described in John Norton's creation story in Chapter 1? Who was Norton?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)