|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What dealt a terrible blow to many Indian tribes, leading to further dependence on European goods and foolish land deals?
(a) Caffeine addiction.
(b) Opium addiction.
(c) Marijuana addiction.
2. Where was John Heckewelder born?
(a) New York, New York.
(b) Boston, Massachusetts.
(c) Bedford, England.
(d) London, England.
3. What was a Christian revitalization movement that swept Protestant Europe and British America, and especially the American colonies in the 1730s and 1740s, leaving a permanent impact on American religion?
(a) The White Awakening.
(b) The Great Awakening.
(c) The Middle Ages.
(d) The Spanish Inquisition.
4. Where did Samsom Occom settle, set up a school, marry, attend to the sick and to burials, and perform other priestly duties?
(a) Salem, Massachusetts.
(b) Windham, Connecticut.
(c) Montauk, New York.
(d) Boston, Massachusetts.
5. The text by Josiah Jeremy in Chapter 1 is dated when?
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to the establishment, maintenance, acquisition and expansion of colonies in one territory by people from another territory?
2. At what age was Samsom Occom first exposed to the teachings of Christian evangelical preachers?
3. When was Mary Jemison captured by the Seneca tribe and taken to western New York?
4. What term means having a vocabulary composed primarily of short, simple words?
5. What was an armed conflict between the Lakota, Northern Cheyenne, and Arapaho and the United States in the Wyoming Territory and the Montana Territory from 1866 to 1868?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did European trade impact the Native American peoples, as discussed in the Introduction?
2. What story is related in Josiah Jeremy's text from Chapter 1?
3. How did the Native Americans receive the Dutch in John Heckewelder's text in Chapter 1? Why?
4. What tribe did the central tribe follow in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1? What moral did the tribe learn?
5. How involved were Native Americans in colonial society? What does the author write of their role in shaping America in the Introduction?
6. How did smallpox impact the Native American peoples, as discussed in the Introduction?
7. What tribe is described in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1?
8. What led Samson Occom to convert to Christianity?
9. What great spirit attacks the central tribe in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1? How does the tribe overcome the adversity?
10. In what types of structures did the Native Americans reside? What were the attributes of these structures?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)