|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the French call children of European and Indian parentage?
2. What refers to money or any other valuable consideration given or promised with a view to corrupting the behavior of a person, especially in that person's performance as an athlete or public official?
3. John Eliot wrote a series of fictional "dialogues" such as one which is reprinted in Chapter 2 describing a converted Indian named what who returns to his native village?
(d) Joseph Brant.
4. When did John Heckewelder die?
5. What is a domed room dwelling used by certain Native American tribes?
Short Answer Questions
1. What word did the Delaware and Mahican Indians use for "Supreme Being"?
2. Where was John Heckewelder born?
3. In Chapter 1, an Iroquois creation story provided by John Norton was dated from what year?
4. Where was Eleazar Wheelock born?
5. What word refers to the practice of viewing the world from a European perspective and with an implied belief, either consciously or subconsciously, in the preeminence of European culture?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the Eurocentric view of America's discovery versus the reality of Indian culture in the Introduction?
2. What does the author assert of the attributes and differences between colonial civilization and Native American civilization in Chapter 1?
3. What great spirit attacks the central tribe in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1? How does the tribe overcome the adversity?
4. What image of the earth's creation is described in John Norton's creation story in Chapter 1? Who was Norton?
5. In what types of structures did the Native Americans reside? What were the attributes of these structures?
6. How did European trade impact the Native American peoples, as discussed in the Introduction?
7. What ability did Teharonghyawago gain from the spirit world in John Norton's creation story from Chapter 1?
8. What tribe is described in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1?
9. How does the author describe the oratory skills of the Native Americans in regard to the stereotype in the Introduction?
10. What school did Reverend Eleazar Wheelock found? What letters regarding the school are included in Chapter 2?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)