|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The text by Josiah Jeremy in Chapter 1 relates a story about the first sighting of what?
(a) An Italian boat.
(b) An English boat.
(c) A Dutch boat.
(d) A French boat.
2. The start of the European colonization of the Americas is typically dated to what year?
3. After vaccination campaigns throughout the 19th and 20th centuries, the WHO certified the eradication of smallpox in what year?
4. The text by Josiah Jeremy in Chapter 1 is dated when?
5. In the Iroquois creation story of John Norton's in Chapter 1, who kills the daughter of the "Great Spirit" in childbirth by trying to exit the womb from "the side"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most severe and common form of smallpox, with a more extensive rash and higher fever?
2. In what year did the Moor's Indian Charity School move to Hanover, New Hampshire?
3. When did John Eliot die?
4. Where did Samsom Occom settle, set up a school, marry, attend to the sick and to burials, and perform other priestly duties?
5. When was Eleazar Wheelock born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the Eurocentric view of America's discovery versus the reality of Indian culture in the Introduction?
2. How did smallpox impact the Native American peoples, as discussed in the Introduction?
3. How did the differences in literacy between the Indians and colonists affect land deals, as discussed in the Introduction?
4. How did European trade impact the Native American peoples, as discussed in the Introduction?
5. What tribe did the central tribe follow in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1? What moral did the tribe learn?
6. What does the author assert of the attributes and differences between colonial civilization and Native American civilization in Chapter 1?
7. Describe the children of the daughter of the Great Spirit in John Norton's creation story from Chapter 1. Who raised the children?
8. In what types of structures did the Native Americans reside? What were the attributes of these structures?
9. What text of Samson Occom's is included in Chapter 2? Who was Occom?
10. How does the author describe the oratory skills of the Native Americans in regard to the stereotype in the Introduction?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)