|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Some estimates indicate case fatality rates of what percentage in Native American populations during smallpox epidemics?
2. When was John Eliot born?
3. The first known Europeans to reach the Americas were who during the 11th century?
(a) The Vikings.
(b) The Portugese.
(c) The Italians.
(d) The Druids.
4. Jamestown was a settlement in the Colony of Virginia established by the Virginia Company of London as "James Fort" in what year?
5. In the Iroquois creation story of John Norton's in Chapter 1, who kills the daughter of the "Great Spirit" in childbirth by trying to exit the womb from "the side"?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Mary Jemison captured by the Seneca tribe and taken to western New York?
2. Samsom Occom had problems with what dying on him, leading him into debt?
3. What did the French call children of European and Indian parentage?
4. What word refers to the practice of viewing the world from a European perspective and with an implied belief, either consciously or subconsciously, in the preeminence of European culture?
5. Of what tribe was Josiah Jeremy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did European trade impact the Native American peoples, as discussed in the Introduction?
2. What image of the earth's creation is described in John Norton's creation story in Chapter 1? Who was Norton?
3. What led Samson Occom to convert to Christianity?
4. What tribe is described in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1?
5. What did a Micmac Indian assert of European wealth in a text from Chapter 2?
6. How did smallpox impact the Native American peoples, as discussed in the Introduction?
7. In what ways did the Europeans take advantage of the Native Americans regarding land, as discussed in the Introduction?
8. What does the author suggest the reader keep in mind regarding Indian oratory history and literacy in the Introduction?
9. Why does the author reason that some Indians turned to Christianity in Chapter 2? What was the result?
10. What ability did Teharonghyawago gain from the spirit world in John Norton's creation story from Chapter 1?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)