|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What refers to the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning?
2. Where was John Eliot born?
(a) London, England.
(b) Hertfordshire, England.
(c) Ross, Scotland.
(d) Dublin, Ireland.
3. The Chichimeca War was a military conflict waged between Spanish colonizers against a confederation of Chichimeca Indians during what years?
4. The text by Josiah Jeremy in Chapter 1 is dated when?
5. In the Iroquois creation story of John Norton's in Chapter 1, Teharonghyawago is given the gift of corn from whom?
(a) His mother.
(b) The Great Turtle.
(c) The "Great Spirit."
Short Answer Questions
1. What is defined as the science of artificial application of water to the land or soil?
2. In Chekilli's creation story of the Creek people, the West opened up, and a tribe named the Kasihtas settled near a mountain so great and thunderous they called it what?
3. What refers to the establishment, maintenance, acquisition and expansion of colonies in one territory by people from another territory?
4. Eleazar Wheelock founded the Moor's Indian Charity School in what year?
5. In Chekilli's creation story of the Creek people, white feathers mean what symbolically?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did a Micmac Indian assert of European wealth in a text from Chapter 2?
2. What image of the earth's creation is described in John Norton's creation story in Chapter 1? Who was Norton?
3. What story is related in Josiah Jeremy's text from Chapter 1?
4. How does the author describe the Eurocentric view of America's discovery versus the reality of Indian culture in the Introduction?
5. What grievances did Powhatan describe in Captain John Smith's text from Chapter 1?
6. How does the author describe the oratory skills of the Native Americans in regard to the stereotype in the Introduction?
7. How did European trade impact the Native American peoples, as discussed in the Introduction?
8. What ability did Teharonghyawago gain from the spirit world in John Norton's creation story from Chapter 1?
9. What does the author assert of the attributes and differences between colonial civilization and Native American civilization in Chapter 1?
10. What does the author suggest the reader keep in mind regarding Indian oratory history and literacy in the Introduction?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)