|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the most severe and common form of smallpox, with a more extensive rash and higher fever?
(a) Variola major.
(b) Variola minor.
(c) Variola incubus.
(d) Variola sine eruptione.
2. When was Mary Jemison captured by the Seneca tribe and taken to western New York?
3. According to the author in Chapter 2, in addition to intermarriage, some tribes sought to bolster their numbers by what means?
(a) Converting to Christianity.
(b) Capturing Europeans.
(c) Selling children.
(d) Converting other tribes.
4. Where was Eleazar Wheelock born?
(a) Montauk, New York.
(b) London, England.
(c) Boston, Massachusetts.
(d) Windham, Connecticut.
5. In the Iroquois creation story of John Norton's in Chapter 1, the daughter of the "Great Spirit" has two children, Teharonghyawago and who?
Short Answer Questions
1. The text by Josiah Jeremy in Chapter 1 relates a story about the first sighting of what?
2. When did John Eliot come to America?
3. When was Samson Occom born?
4. What word did the Delaware and Mahican Indians use for "Supreme Being"?
5. Smallpox probably diverged from an ancestral African rodent-borne variola-like virus between 16,000 and how many years ago?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led Samson Occom to convert to Christianity?
2. What does the author assert of the attributes and differences between colonial civilization and Native American civilization in Chapter 1?
3. In what types of structures did the Native Americans reside? What were the attributes of these structures?
4. What does the author suggest the reader keep in mind regarding Indian oratory history and literacy in the Introduction?
5. How does the author describe the oratory skills of the Native Americans in regard to the stereotype in the Introduction?
6. What great spirit attacks the central tribe in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1? How does the tribe overcome the adversity?
7. What tribe is described in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1?
8. What ability did Teharonghyawago gain from the spirit world in John Norton's creation story from Chapter 1?
9. What school did Reverend Eleazar Wheelock found? What letters regarding the school are included in Chapter 2?
10. What were "client chiefs" and how were they used in controlling the Indians, according to the author in the Introduction?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)