|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a person appointed by a national government to conduct official negotiations and maintain political, economic, and social relations with another country or countries?
2. In Chekilli's creation story of the Creek people, white feathers mean what symbolically?
3. In Chekilli's creation story of the Creek people, red feathers mean what symbolically?
4. In the Iroquois creation story of John Norton's in Chapter 1, a "Great Spirit" punishes his daughter for what by casting her down a great hole in the heavens?
(a) Disobeying his will.
(b) Killing her brother.
(c) Falling in love with a mortal.
(d) Becoming pregnant out of wedlock.
5. Where was John Eliot born?
(a) Ross, Scotland.
(b) Hertfordshire, England.
(c) London, England.
(d) Dublin, Ireland.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Chichimeca War was a military conflict waged between Spanish colonizers against a confederation of Chichimeca Indians during what years?
2. Smallpox probably diverged from an ancestral African rodent-borne variola-like virus between 16,000 and how many years ago?
3. What term means having a vocabulary composed primarily of short, simple words?
4. Samsom Occom began to study theology at the "Lattin School" of Eleazar Wheelock in what year?
5. In Chapter 1, John Heckewelder relates a "verbatim" account from the Delaware and Mahican Indians of the Dutch landing in an area that is now known as what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did European trade impact the Native American peoples, as discussed in the Introduction?
2. In what types of structures did the Native Americans reside? What were the attributes of these structures?
3. How is John Eliot described in Chapter 2? What did Eliot achieve amongst the Indians?
4. Why does the author reason that some Indians turned to Christianity in Chapter 2? What was the result?
5. How did a Micmac Indian compare his people's housing structures versus those of the colonists in a text from Chapter 2?
6. How does the author describe the Eurocentric view of America's discovery versus the reality of Indian culture in the Introduction?
7. What were methods of the Native Americans to bolster their numbers, as discussed in Chapter 2?
8. In what ways did the Europeans take advantage of the Native Americans regarding land, as discussed in the Introduction?
9. What text of Samson Occom's is included in Chapter 2? Who was Occom?
10. Describe the children of the daughter of the Great Spirit in John Norton's creation story from Chapter 1. Who raised the children?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)