|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chekilli's creation story of the Creek people, the Kasihtas were attacked by the King of what with a bow and arrow?
2. When was Mary Jemison captured by the Seneca tribe and taken to western New York?
3. In Chekilli's creation story of the Creek people, the Kasihtas killed what great animal by sacrificing an orphan baby to it?
(a) A wolf.
(b) A tiger.
(c) A bear.
(d) A lion.
4. Samson Occom is believed to be a direct descendant of what famous Mohegan chief?
(d) Joseph Brant.
5. Smallpox is believed to have emerged in human populations about what time?
(a) 5,000 B.C.
(b) 1,000 B.C.
(c) 10,000 B.C.
(d) 15,000 B.C.
Short Answer Questions
1. The earliest physical evidence of smallpox is probably the pustular rash on the mummified body of whom?
2. When did John Eliot come to America?
3. At what age was Samsom Occom first exposed to the teachings of Christian evangelical preachers?
4. When did Samson Occom die?
5. What word did the Delaware and Mahican Indians use for "Supreme Being"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What school did Reverend Eleazar Wheelock found? What letters regarding the school are included in Chapter 2?
2. How is John Eliot described in Chapter 2? What did Eliot achieve amongst the Indians?
3. How does the author describe the oratory skills of the Native Americans in regard to the stereotype in the Introduction?
4. How does the author describe the Eurocentric view of America's discovery versus the reality of Indian culture in the Introduction?
5. How involved were Native Americans in colonial society? What does the author write of their role in shaping America in the Introduction?
6. What image of the earth's creation is described in John Norton's creation story in Chapter 1? Who was Norton?
7. In what ways did the Europeans take advantage of the Native Americans regarding land, as discussed in the Introduction?
8. How did the differences in literacy between the Indians and colonists affect land deals, as discussed in the Introduction?
9. What tribe did the central tribe follow in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1? What moral did the tribe learn?
10. What were "client chiefs" and how were they used in controlling the Indians, according to the author in the Introduction?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)