|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What refers to human history in the period before recorded events, known mainly through archaeological discoveries, study, research, etc.?
2. When was John Eliot born?
3. In Chapter 1, an Iroquois creation story provided by John Norton was dated from what year?
4. Jamestown was a settlement in the Colony of Virginia established by the Virginia Company of London as "James Fort" in what year?
5. What term means having a vocabulary composed primarily of short, simple words?
Short Answer Questions
1. John Norton was born of a Cherokee father and a mother from where?
2. Of what tribe was Josiah Jeremy?
3. The first known Europeans to reach the Americas were who during the 11th century?
4. What is the most severe and common form of smallpox, with a more extensive rash and higher fever?
5. The start of the European colonization of the Americas is typically dated to what year?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the children of the daughter of the Great Spirit in John Norton's creation story from Chapter 1. Who raised the children?
2. How does the author describe the Eurocentric view of America's discovery versus the reality of Indian culture in the Introduction?
3. What did a Micmac Indian assert of European wealth in a text from Chapter 2?
4. How is John Eliot described in Chapter 2? What did Eliot achieve amongst the Indians?
5. What image of the earth's creation is described in John Norton's creation story in Chapter 1? Who was Norton?
6. What text of Samson Occom's is included in Chapter 2? Who was Occom?
7. In what types of structures did the Native Americans reside? What were the attributes of these structures?
8. What does the author assert of the attributes and differences between colonial civilization and Native American civilization in Chapter 1?
9. What tribe did the central tribe follow in Chekilli's creation story from Chapter 1? What moral did the tribe learn?
10. How did a Micmac Indian compare his people's housing structures versus those of the colonists in a text from Chapter 2?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)