|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Iroquois creation story of John Norton's in Chapter 1, who kills the daughter of the "Great Spirit" in childbirth by trying to exit the womb from "the side"?
2. Of what tribe was Josiah Jeremy?
(a) The Micmac Indians.
(b) The Cherokee people.
(c) The Apache people.
(d) The Apalachicolas.
3. John Norton played a prominent role in what conflict, leading Iroquois warriors from Grand River into battle against American invaders?
(a) King Philip's War.
(b) Red Cloud's War.
(c) The War of 1812.
(d) The French and Indian War.
4. The earliest physical evidence of smallpox is probably the pustular rash on the mummified body of whom?
(a) Pharaoh Sekhemib-Perenmaat.
(b) Pharaoh Ramses V.
(c) King Edward I.
(d) Pharaoh Thutmose III.
5. The start of the European colonization of the Americas is typically dated to what year?
Short Answer Questions
1. Samsom Occom had problems with what dying on him, leading him into debt?
2. John Norton was adopted by the Mohawks, with who as his uncle?
3. What was founded by some Marian exiles from the clergy shortly after the accession of Elizabeth I of England in 1558?
4. When did Samson Occom die?
5. What word did the Delaware and Mahican Indians use for "Supreme Being"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How involved were Native Americans in colonial society? What does the author write of their role in shaping America in the Introduction?
2. What story is related in Josiah Jeremy's text from Chapter 1?
3. What grievances did Powhatan describe in Captain John Smith's text from Chapter 1?
4. How did European trade impact the Native American peoples, as discussed in the Introduction?
5. What does the author suggest the reader keep in mind regarding Indian oratory history and literacy in the Introduction?
6. What image of the earth's creation is described in John Norton's creation story in Chapter 1? Who was Norton?
7. Describe the children of the daughter of the Great Spirit in John Norton's creation story from Chapter 1. Who raised the children?
8. What were "client chiefs" and how were they used in controlling the Indians, according to the author in the Introduction?
9. What did a Micmac Indian assert of European wealth in a text from Chapter 2?
10. What school did Reverend Eleazar Wheelock found? What letters regarding the school are included in Chapter 2?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)