|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance?
2. What refers to both the process and product of planning, designing and construction of buildings or structures?
3. John Norton played a prominent role in what conflict, leading Iroquois warriors from Grand River into battle against American invaders?
(a) The War of 1812.
(b) King Philip's War.
(c) The French and Indian War.
(d) Red Cloud's War.
4. In what year did the Moor's Indian Charity School move to Hanover, New Hampshire?
5. John Norton was born of a Cherokee father and a mother from where?
Short Answer Questions
1. Smallpox was responsible for how many estimated deaths during the 20th century?
2. The Mohawk Major John Norton was known as what by his people?
3. What refers to the establishment, maintenance, acquisition and expansion of colonies in one territory by people from another territory?
4. When did John Eliot come to America?
5. The text by Josiah Jeremy in Chapter 1 is dated when?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author assert of the attributes and differences between colonial civilization and Native American civilization in Chapter 1?
2. How involved were Native Americans in colonial society? What does the author write of their role in shaping America in the Introduction?
3. What does the author suggest the reader keep in mind regarding Indian oratory history and literacy in the Introduction?
4. What story is related in Josiah Jeremy's text from Chapter 1?
5. How did smallpox impact the Native American peoples, as discussed in the Introduction?
6. How did the differences in literacy between the Indians and colonists affect land deals, as discussed in the Introduction?
7. Why does the author reason that some Indians turned to Christianity in Chapter 2? What was the result?
8. What ability did Teharonghyawago gain from the spirit world in John Norton's creation story from Chapter 1?
9. What grievances did Powhatan describe in Captain John Smith's text from Chapter 1?
10. What text of Samson Occom's is included in Chapter 2? Who was Occom?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)