|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chekilli's creation story of the Creek people, white feathers mean what symbolically?
2. At what age was Samsom Occom first exposed to the teachings of Christian evangelical preachers?
3. The first known Europeans to reach the Americas were who during the 11th century?
(a) The Portugese.
(b) The Vikings.
(c) The Druids.
(d) The Italians.
4. When did Eleazar Wheelock die?
5. In the Iroquois creation story of John Norton's in Chapter 1, the daughter of the "Great Spirit" has two children, Teharonghyawago and who?
Short Answer Questions
1. The text by Josiah Jeremy in Chapter 1 relates a story about the first sighting of what?
2. The text by Josiah Jeremy in Chapter 1 is dated when?
3. Where did Samsom Occom settle, set up a school, marry, attend to the sick and to burials, and perform other priestly duties?
4. Where was John Heckewelder born?
5. What means to compel by force, intimidation, or authority, especially without regard for individual desire or volition?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways did the Europeans take advantage of the Native Americans regarding land, as discussed in the Introduction?
2. How involved were Native Americans in colonial society? What does the author write of their role in shaping America in the Introduction?
3. How did smallpox impact the Native American peoples, as discussed in the Introduction?
4. How is John Eliot described in Chapter 2? What did Eliot achieve amongst the Indians?
5. Why does the author reason that some Indians turned to Christianity in Chapter 2? What was the result?
6. What led Samson Occom to convert to Christianity?
7. What does the author suggest the reader keep in mind regarding Indian oratory history and literacy in the Introduction?
8. What grievances did Powhatan describe in Captain John Smith's text from Chapter 1?
9. How did the differences in literacy between the Indians and colonists affect land deals, as discussed in the Introduction?
10. In what types of structures did the Native Americans reside? What were the attributes of these structures?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)