|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One instance of land abuse was the "guardian system," put in place by Massachusetts in what year?
2. The Treaty of Fort Pitt was signed on what date?
(a) July 4, 1776.
(b) September 17, 1778.
(c) October 12, 1777.
(d) November 12, 1776.
3. The Walking Purchase was a purported agreement from what year?
4. In Chapter 3, Penobscot recounted his part in the negotiations, in which he never stated anything about handing over land but only that he wished for what?
(a) Monetary repayment.
(b) Hostilities to end.
(c) Colonists to leave.
(d) The freedom of slaves.
5. In Chapter 4, a Cayuga chief described what tribe as warlike and treacherous, when in reality they were peace-loving?
(a) The Cherokee.
(b) The Apaches.
(c) The Catawbas.
(d) The Delaware Indians.
6. A speech in what year by a Chippewa chief rejected the presumption that the English were simply going to inherit Indian lands gained by the French?
7. George Washington became known by what nickname among the Native Americans for ordering the destruction of around forty Iroquois towns during the Revolutionary War?
(a) "Monstrous Destroyer."
(b) "Great Bear."
(c) "Black Night."
(d) "Town Destroyer."
8. In 2004, the Delaware Nation filed suit against Pennsylvania in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, seeking how many acres included in the Walking Purchase?
9. Pontiac's War was launched in what year?
10. What was the name of the governor of New France who traveled to Iroquois country to try to bluff his way to making the Iroquois stop trading with the English?
(b) La Belle.
(c) La Barre.
11. By way of the Walking Purchase, the Penn family and proprietors claimed an area of how many acres in Pennsylvania?
12. When was Joseph Brant born?
13. Where was Colonel William Crawford born?
(a) Boston, Massachusetts.
(b) New York, New York.
(c) Cambridge, Massachusetts.
(d) Orange County, Virginia.
14. The first text in Chapter 4 is from what year, when a governor of New France traveled to Iroquois country to try to bluff his way to making the Iroquois stop trading with the English?
15. The Indian Nonintercourse Act was passed by the United States Congress beginning in what year?
Short Answer Questions
1. The French and Indian War ended in what year?
2. When was Phineas Stevens born?
3. Deliberations on the Treaty of Lancaster ended on what date?
4. Dragging Canoe led Cherokee Indians inclined to fight whom during the American Revolutionary War?
5. Joseph Brant was a military and political leader in what Native American tribe?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)