|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 1, John Heckewelder relates a "verbatim" account from the Delaware and Mahican Indians of the Dutch landing in an area that is now known as what?
(a) Manhattan, New York.
(b) Boston, Massachusetts.
(c) Cape May, Massachusetts.
(d) Queens, New York.
2. John Norton played a prominent role in what conflict, leading Iroquois warriors from Grand River into battle against American invaders?
(a) Red Cloud's War.
(b) King Philip's War.
(c) The French and Indian War.
(d) The War of 1812.
3. What term refers to the adoption of a new religious identity?
4. In Chapter 1, an Iroquois creation story provided by John Norton was dated from what year?
5. When was John Eliot born?
6. What term means having a vocabulary composed primarily of short, simple words?
7. What is a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance?
8. The text by Josiah Jeremy in Chapter 1 is dated when?
9. Of what tribe was Josiah Jeremy?
(a) The Apache people.
(b) The Micmac Indians.
(c) The Cherokee people.
(d) The Apalachicolas.
10. In the Iroquois creation story of John Norton's in Chapter 1, the daughter of the "Great Spirit" has two children, Teharonghyawago and who?
11. According to the author in Chapter 2, in addition to intermarriage, some tribes sought to bolster their numbers by what means?
(a) Converting other tribes.
(b) Converting to Christianity.
(c) Capturing Europeans.
(d) Selling children.
12. What refers to both the process and product of planning, designing and construction of buildings or structures?
13. What means to compel by force, intimidation, or authority, especially without regard for individual desire or volition?
14. What refers to money or any other valuable consideration given or promised with a view to corrupting the behavior of a person, especially in that person's performance as an athlete or public official?
15. What did the French call children of European and Indian parentage?
Short Answer Questions
1. What word refers to the practice of viewing the world from a European perspective and with an implied belief, either consciously or subconsciously, in the preeminence of European culture?
2. In the Iroquois creation story of John Norton's in Chapter 1, Tawiskaron proves to be a great what?
3. What word did the Delaware and Mahican Indians use for "Supreme Being"?
4. In Chekilli's creation story of the Creek people, white feathers mean what symbolically?
5. John Eliot emigrated to Boston, Massachusetts, on what ship?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)