|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After vaccination campaigns throughout the 19th and 20th centuries, the WHO certified the eradication of smallpox in what year?
2. In the Iroquois creation story of John Norton's in Chapter 1, an image of the earth is described as sitting on the back of what?
(a) A Great Fox.
(b) A Great Turtle.
(c) A Great Buffalo.
(d) A Great Bear.
3. In the Iroquois creation story of John Norton's in Chapter 1, Teharonghyawago grows up how?
(a) Adored and spoiled.
(b) Alone and unloved.
(c) Rich and powerful.
(d) Peacefully and happily.
4. What was a Christian revitalization movement that swept Protestant Europe and British America, and especially the American colonies in the 1730s and 1740s, leaving a permanent impact on American religion?
(a) The Great Awakening.
(b) The Middle Ages.
(c) The White Awakening.
(d) The Spanish Inquisition.
5. Smallpox killed what estimated number of Europeans per year during the closing years of the 18th century?
6. In Chekilli's creation story of the Creek people, how many tribes did the Kasihtas meet by the mountain?
7. The Mohawk Major John Norton was known as what by his people?
8. When was John Eliot born?
9. When did John Heckewelder die?
10. What is a domed room dwelling used by certain Native American tribes?
11. Where did Samsom Occom settle, set up a school, marry, attend to the sick and to burials, and perform other priestly duties?
(a) Salem, Massachusetts.
(b) Windham, Connecticut.
(c) Montauk, New York.
(d) Boston, Massachusetts.
12. What dealt a terrible blow to many Indian tribes, leading to further dependence on European goods and foolish land deals?
(a) Caffeine addiction.
(c) Opium addiction.
(d) Marijuana addiction.
13. In Chapter 1, John Heckewelder relates a "verbatim" account from the Delaware and Mahican Indians of the Dutch landing in an area that is now known as what?
(a) Boston, Massachusetts.
(b) Cape May, Massachusetts.
(c) Manhattan, New York.
(d) Queens, New York.
14. The Arauco War was a conflict between colonial Spaniards and who?
(a) The Aztec people.
(b) The Apache people.
(c) The Iriquois people.
(d) The Mapuche people.
15. What term refers to the adoption of a new religious identity?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Iroquois creation story of John Norton's in Chapter 1, Teharonghyawago is given the gift of corn from whom?
2. According to the author in Chapter 2, in addition to intermarriage, some tribes sought to bolster their numbers by what means?
3. Samsom Occom had problems with what dying on him, leading him into debt?
4. In the Iroquois creation story of John Norton's in Chapter 1, a "Great Spirit" punishes his daughter for what by casting her down a great hole in the heavens?
5. What term means having a vocabulary composed primarily of short, simple words?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)