|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. John Eliot wrote a series of fictional "dialogues" such as one which is reprinted in Chapter 2 describing a converted Indian named what who returns to his native village?
(a) Joseph Brant.
2. When did Eleazar Wheelock die?
3. When was Samson Occom born?
4. Where was John Eliot born?
(a) Dublin, Ireland.
(b) Hertfordshire, England.
(c) London, England.
(d) Ross, Scotland.
5. In the Iroquois creation story of John Norton's in Chapter 1, who kills the daughter of the "Great Spirit" in childbirth by trying to exit the womb from "the side"?
6. When was Mary Jemison captured by the Seneca tribe and taken to western New York?
7. John Eliot emigrated to Boston, Massachusetts, on what ship?
8. In Chekilli's creation story of the Creek people, the Kasihtas were attacked by the King of what with a bow and arrow?
9. In Chekilli's creation story of the Creek people, how many tribes did the Kasihtas meet by the mountain?
10. The first known Europeans to reach the Americas were who during the 11th century?
(a) The Vikings.
(b) The Italians.
(c) The Portugese.
(d) The Druids.
11. After vaccination campaigns throughout the 19th and 20th centuries, the WHO certified the eradication of smallpox in what year?
12. To help control Indian populations, Europeans would install what, who would support European interests, which included sending Indian warriors into European wars?
(a) Political chiefs.
(b) Integrated chiefs.
(c) Client chiefs.
(d) Cage chiefs.
13. In the Iroquois creation story of John Norton's in Chapter 1, an image of the earth is described as sitting on the back of what?
(a) A Great Bear.
(b) A Great Turtle.
(c) A Great Buffalo.
(d) A Great Fox.
14. The Chichimeca War was a military conflict waged between Spanish colonizers against a confederation of Chichimeca Indians during what years?
15. What is a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance?
Short Answer Questions
1. The earliest physical evidence of smallpox is probably the pustular rash on the mummified body of whom?
2. What is a person appointed by a national government to conduct official negotiations and maintain political, economic, and social relations with another country or countries?
3. According to the author in Chapter 2, in addition to intermarriage, some tribes sought to bolster their numbers by what means?
4. What means to compel by force, intimidation, or authority, especially without regard for individual desire or volition?
5. What is a domed room dwelling used by certain Native American tribes?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)