|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Samson Occom is believed to be a direct descendant of what famous Mohegan chief?
(d) Joseph Brant.
2. The first known Europeans to reach the Americas were who during the 11th century?
(a) The Druids.
(b) The Portugese.
(c) The Italians.
(d) The Vikings.
3. What word did the Delaware and Mahican Indians use for "Supreme Being"?
4. When was John Heckewelder born?
5. What term refers to the adoption of a new religious identity?
6. In Chekilli's creation story of the Creek people, the Kasihtas followed a tribe called what for many years over different kinds of terrain?
(a) The Cherokee people.
(b) The Micmac Indians.
(c) The Apache people.
(d) The Apalachicolas.
7. John Norton was adopted by the Mohawks, with who as his uncle?
(a) Joseph Brant.
(c) King Philip.
(d) Alexander McGillivray.
8. What did the French call children of European and Indian parentage?
9. John Eliot wrote a series of fictional "dialogues" such as one which is reprinted in Chapter 2 describing a converted Indian named what who returns to his native village?
(d) Joseph Brant.
10. In the Iroquois creation story of John Norton's in Chapter 1, Tawiskaron proves to be a great what?
11. What was an armed conflict between the Lakota, Northern Cheyenne, and Arapaho and the United States in the Wyoming Territory and the Montana Territory from 1866 to 1868?
(a) Red Cloud's War.
(b) The French and Indian War.
(c) The Battle of Red Wing.
(d) King Philip's War.
12. Where was Eleazar Wheelock born?
(a) London, England.
(b) Montauk, New York.
(c) Boston, Massachusetts.
(d) Windham, Connecticut.
13. When did John Eliot come to America?
14. When did Eleazar Wheelock die?
15. According to the author in Chapter 2, in addition to intermarriage, some tribes sought to bolster their numbers by what means?
(a) Selling children.
(b) Capturing Europeans.
(c) Converting other tribes.
(d) Converting to Christianity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance?
2. In Chekilli's creation story of the Creek people, red feathers mean what symbolically?
3. Samsom Occom began to study theology at the "Lattin School" of Eleazar Wheelock in what year?
4. In Chekilli's creation story of the Creek people, white feathers mean what symbolically?
5. In Chekilli's creation story of the Creek people, the Kasihtas killed what great animal by sacrificing an orphan baby to it?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)