|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term refers to the adoption of a new religious identity?
2. Where did Samsom Occom settle, set up a school, marry, attend to the sick and to burials, and perform other priestly duties?
(a) Montauk, New York.
(b) Salem, Massachusetts.
(c) Boston, Massachusetts.
(d) Windham, Connecticut.
3. In Chapter 1, John Heckewelder relates a "verbatim" account from the Delaware and Mahican Indians of the Dutch landing in an area that is now known as what?
(a) Queens, New York.
(b) Boston, Massachusetts.
(c) Manhattan, New York.
(d) Cape May, Massachusetts.
4. When was John Norton born?
(a) Early 1750s.
(b) Late 1770s.
(c) Early 1800s.
(d) Early 1760s.
5. When was John Heckewelder born?
6. The first known Europeans to reach the Americas were who during the 11th century?
(a) The Portugese.
(b) The Italians.
(c) The Druids.
(d) The Vikings.
7. John Norton played a prominent role in what conflict, leading Iroquois warriors from Grand River into battle against American invaders?
(a) The War of 1812.
(b) The French and Indian War.
(c) Red Cloud's War.
(d) King Philip's War.
8. In Chapter 1, an Iroquois creation story provided by John Norton was dated from what year?
9. The text by Josiah Jeremy in Chapter 1 relates a story about the first sighting of what?
(a) A Dutch boat.
(b) An Italian boat.
(c) A French boat.
(d) An English boat.
10. The start of the European colonization of the Americas is typically dated to what year?
11. When was John Eliot born?
12. In the Iroquois creation story of John Norton's in Chapter 1, Teharonghyawago grows up how?
(a) Adored and spoiled.
(b) Rich and powerful.
(c) Alone and unloved.
(d) Peacefully and happily.
13. In the Iroquois creation story of John Norton's in Chapter 1, a "Great Spirit" punishes his daughter for what by casting her down a great hole in the heavens?
(a) Falling in love with a mortal.
(b) Disobeying his will.
(c) Killing her brother.
(d) Becoming pregnant out of wedlock.
14. Of what tribe was Josiah Jeremy?
(a) The Micmac Indians.
(b) The Cherokee people.
(c) The Apache people.
(d) The Apalachicolas.
15. The Mohawk Major John Norton was known as what by his people?
Short Answer Questions
1. The Arauco War was a conflict between colonial Spaniards and who?
2. In the Iroquois creation story of John Norton's in Chapter 1, Teharonghyawago is given the gift of corn from whom?
3. In Chekilli's creation story of the Creek people, the Kasihtas were attacked by the King of what with a bow and arrow?
4. The earliest physical evidence of smallpox is probably the pustular rash on the mummified body of whom?
5. In the Iroquois creation story of John Norton's in Chapter 1, an image of the earth is described as sitting on the back of what?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)