|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. John Norton was born of a Cherokee father and a mother from where?
2. What is defined as a sacred narrative explaining how the world and humankind came to be in their present form?
3. What refers to the establishment, maintenance, acquisition and expansion of colonies in one territory by people from another territory?
4. What refers to the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning?
5. What was founded by some Marian exiles from the clergy shortly after the accession of Elizabeth I of England in 1558?
6. What dealt a terrible blow to many Indian tribes, leading to further dependence on European goods and foolish land deals?
(a) Opium addiction.
(c) Marijuana addiction.
(d) Caffeine addiction.
7. The Arauco War was a conflict between colonial Spaniards and who?
(a) The Apache people.
(b) The Aztec people.
(c) The Mapuche people.
(d) The Iriquois people.
8. What is the most severe and common form of smallpox, with a more extensive rash and higher fever?
(a) Variola incubus.
(b) Variola minor.
(c) Variola sine eruptione.
(d) Variola major.
9. What is a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance?
10. In Chekilli's creation story of the Creek people, the West opened up, and a tribe named the Kasihtas settled near a mountain so great and thunderous they called it what?
(a) The King of Mountains.
(b) The Great Bear.
(c) The Great Mountain.
(d) The Mountain of Heaven.
11. What refers to money or any other valuable consideration given or promised with a view to corrupting the behavior of a person, especially in that person's performance as an athlete or public official?
12. What word refers to the practice of viewing the world from a European perspective and with an implied belief, either consciously or subconsciously, in the preeminence of European culture?
13. John Norton was adopted by the Mohawks, with who as his uncle?
(a) Joseph Brant.
(b) Alexander McGillivray.
(c) King Philip.
14. In Chekilli's creation story of the Creek people, how many tribes did the Kasihtas meet by the mountain?
15. In Chapter 1, John Heckewelder relates a "verbatim" account from the Delaware and Mahican Indians of the Dutch landing in an area that is now known as what?
(a) Cape May, Massachusetts.
(b) Queens, New York.
(c) Boston, Massachusetts.
(d) Manhattan, New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, an Iroquois creation story provided by John Norton was dated from what year?
2. What term means having a vocabulary composed primarily of short, simple words?
3. Of what tribe was Josiah Jeremy?
4. When was Mary Jemison captured by the Seneca tribe and taken to western New York?
5. The Mohawk Major John Norton was known as what by his people?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)