|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Smallpox probably diverged from an ancestral African rodent-borne variola-like virus between 16,000 and how many years ago?
2. Where was John Eliot born?
(a) Dublin, Ireland.
(b) Hertfordshire, England.
(c) London, England.
(d) Ross, Scotland.
3. John Norton was adopted by the Mohawks, with who as his uncle?
(a) Joseph Brant.
(b) King Philip.
(c) Alexander McGillivray.
4. In the Iroquois creation story of John Norton's in Chapter 1, a "Great Spirit" punishes his daughter for what by casting her down a great hole in the heavens?
(a) Falling in love with a mortal.
(b) Disobeying his will.
(c) Becoming pregnant out of wedlock.
(d) Killing her brother.
5. In Chekilli's creation story of the Creek people, red feathers mean what symbolically?
6. What is defined as the science of artificial application of water to the land or soil?
7. When was Mary Jemison captured by the Seneca tribe and taken to western New York?
8. When did John Eliot come to America?
9. The start of the European colonization of the Americas is typically dated to what year?
10. The Mohawk Major John Norton was known as what by his people?
11. Where did Samsom Occom settle, set up a school, marry, attend to the sick and to burials, and perform other priestly duties?
(a) Boston, Massachusetts.
(b) Montauk, New York.
(c) Windham, Connecticut.
(d) Salem, Massachusetts.
12. When was John Eliot born?
13. When did Samson Occom die?
14. According to the author in Chapter 2, in addition to intermarriage, some tribes sought to bolster their numbers by what means?
(a) Converting other tribes.
(b) Selling children.
(c) Capturing Europeans.
(d) Converting to Christianity.
15. The text by Josiah Jeremy in Chapter 1 relates a story about the first sighting of what?
(a) An English boat.
(b) A Dutch boat.
(c) An Italian boat.
(d) A French boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Samson Occom born?
2. Some estimates indicate case fatality rates of what percentage in Native American populations during smallpox epidemics?
3. The earliest physical evidence of smallpox is probably the pustular rash on the mummified body of whom?
4. What word did the Delaware and Mahican Indians use for "Supreme Being"?
5. What was founded by some Marian exiles from the clergy shortly after the accession of Elizabeth I of England in 1558?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)