|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was a Christian revitalization movement that swept Protestant Europe and British America, and especially the American colonies in the 1730s and 1740s, leaving a permanent impact on American religion?
(a) The Spanish Inquisition.
(b) The Great Awakening.
(c) The White Awakening.
(d) The Middle Ages.
2. Some estimates indicate case fatality rates of what percentage in Native American populations during smallpox epidemics?
3. Where was John Eliot born?
(a) Ross, Scotland.
(b) Dublin, Ireland.
(c) London, England.
(d) Hertfordshire, England.
4. What refers to human history in the period before recorded events, known mainly through archaeological discoveries, study, research, etc.?
5. In Chekilli's creation story of the Creek people, the Kasihtas were attacked by the King of what with a bow and arrow?
6. In the Iroquois creation story of John Norton's in Chapter 1, a "Great Spirit" punishes his daughter for what by casting her down a great hole in the heavens?
(a) Becoming pregnant out of wedlock.
(b) Disobeying his will.
(c) Killing her brother.
(d) Falling in love with a mortal.
7. Smallpox was responsible for how many estimated deaths during the 20th century?
(a) 600-800 million.
(b) 300-500 million.
(c) 100-300 million.
(d) 100-200 million.
8. When did John Eliot die?
9. Jamestown was a settlement in the Colony of Virginia established by the Virginia Company of London as "James Fort" in what year?
10. The first known Europeans to reach the Americas were who during the 11th century?
(a) The Druids.
(b) The Vikings.
(c) The Italians.
(d) The Portugese.
11. What was an armed conflict between the Lakota, Northern Cheyenne, and Arapaho and the United States in the Wyoming Territory and the Montana Territory from 1866 to 1868?
(a) The French and Indian War.
(b) King Philip's War.
(c) The Battle of Red Wing.
(d) Red Cloud's War.
12. What dealt a terrible blow to many Indian tribes, leading to further dependence on European goods and foolish land deals?
(b) Caffeine addiction.
(c) Marijuana addiction.
(d) Opium addiction.
13. In Chapter 1, an Iroquois creation story provided by John Norton was dated from what year?
14. When was Samson Occom born?
15. What is a person appointed by a national government to conduct official negotiations and maintain political, economic, and social relations with another country or countries?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, John Heckewelder relates a "verbatim" account from the Delaware and Mahican Indians of the Dutch landing in an area that is now known as what?
2. When did Eleazar Wheelock die?
3. What is a domed room dwelling used by certain Native American tribes?
4. The earliest physical evidence of smallpox is probably the pustular rash on the mummified body of whom?
5. In Chekilli's creation story of the Creek people, red feathers mean what symbolically?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)