|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sent the angel who called Moses to his quest?
2. What does Leeming say the stories of heroes who return or are reborn signify?
3. Where does Leeming say heroes typically find their foes?
4. How old was Joan of Arc when she first heart supernatural voices?
5. What does Leeming say the temple at Delphi represents?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Leeming describe the myth of King Arthur?
2. How does Leeming define the hero?
3. What significance does Leeming attribute to places and objects?
4. What does Leeming say the fall of a city represents?
5. What significance does Leeming attribute to Delphi?
6. When does Leeming say that heroes tend to be born?
7. How does Leeming define the term monomyth?
8. How does Leeming say describe the most important aspect of the hero's myth?
9. What traits does Leeming describe in heroes?
10. How does Leeming describe the hero Herakles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast myths of the industrial or modern age with ancient or primitive myths. How are myths different in industrial times? What aspects of myths have remained the same?
Essay Topic 2
How are heroes different from ordinary humans? Is everyone a hero at certain stages of their development, or is the hero a specific cultural response to social problems or situations? Use examples from The World of Myth to define the status of the hero relative to "ordinary" people.
Essay Topic 3
Where is Leeming least convincing and least effective on this topic? Where does he lose the reader? What are the book's weak points, and how can you account for the flaws?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)