|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leeming say most myths are like in their nature?
2. What does Leeming say that mountain represents as a sacred place?
3. What does Leeming say the labyrinth represents?
4. What idea does Leeming say that icons within churches often reinforce?
5. What does Leeming say each place or object has in myth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the difference between a myth and a legend or fairy tale? Cite examples from The World of Myth to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How are heroes different from ordinary humans? Is everyone a hero at certain stages of their development, or is the hero a specific cultural response to social problems or situations? Use examples from The World of Myth to define the status of the hero relative to "ordinary" people.
Essay Topic 3
Leeming describes myths as concerning gods and goddesses, but they are also tales that transcend religion, and have an essential human, psychological truth, which is applicable beyond the particular religion that told the myth originally. In this light, discuss the religious nature of myth--do myths apply equally to atheists and believers?
This section contains 1,138 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)