|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose story does Leeming cite as evidence of the story of the fall of a great city?
2. At Oedipus' birth, what did the oracle predict Oedipus would do?
3. What does Leeming say places and objects represent in myths?
4. Where does Leeming say heroes typically find their foes?
5. What does Leeming say the fall of a city represents in myth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe a myth that is alive and being told today, in your culture. What are its metaphorical meanings? What mystery does the myth put you in the presence of? How does it balance abstract and physical or imaginative and real attributes?
Essay Topic 2
Does an interpreter of myth lose any interpretive authority if they come from a culture outside of the myth? Can an American interpret an Indian myth, or vice versa? Do you have to be inside of a myth to understand it? Can all myths be analyzed and entered into? Do some myths simply remain strangers to us?
Essay Topic 3
Does the packaging--the book jacket layout and design in particular--advance the material in the book? Does it detract? Analyze and describe how the publisher is striving to present this work to a book-buying marketplace. Is the book accurately represented by the cover? How could the cover, jacket, and copy have represented the book better?
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)