|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Leeming say Jerusalem represents?
2. How does Leeming define the hero?
3. What does Leeming say that mountain represents as a sacred place?
4. Who attempted to convince the Trojans to accept the wooden horse?
5. What does Leeming say the labyrinth represents?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Leeming describe the hero Herakles?
2. What traits does Leeming describe in heroes?
3. What mythic significance does Leeming say European cathedrals have?
4. What significance does Leeming attribute to Delphi?
5. How does Leeming describe the myth of Moses?
6. How does Leeming define the term monomyth?
7. What parallels does Leeming say in the Aboriginal myth of the Pleiades?
8. How does Leeming describe the fall of Troy?
9. What does Leeming see places and objects as metaphors for?
10. How does Leeming describe the myth of King Arthur?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Use two different metaphorical frameworks to analyze one myth. For instance, you could describe the myth as a metaphor for political, psychological, spiritual, linguistic, social, or historical realities. Which framework is "better" for analysis in this case? What makes one framework better than another? How can you say when a certain interpretation has gone too far?
Essay Topic 2
Leeming discusses the myths of a number of major cultures: Egyptian, Greek, Roman, Hebraic, Christian, Norse, and Native American. Based on what Leeming describes of their myths--their creation, hero, afterlife and apocalypse myths, as well as their god and goddesses, sacred places and objects and signs and symbols--how would you characterize the difference between two cultures?
Essay Topic 3
How consistent are the myths from each of the cultures Leeming describes? Do the cosmogonies and the hero myths from Greece, say, demonstrate a unified Greekness? Is there a conflict in values between the different kinds of myths Leeming analyzes? Describe two myths that reveal a conflict in values within the one culture that tells them.
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)