Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leeming say the stone represents in the King Arthur and Theseus myths?
2. From where does Leeming take the term "monomyth?"
3. How does Leeming describe Delphi?
4. What happened after Moses refused the call to his quest?
5. What does Leeming say the Aboriginal myth of the Pleiades resembles?
Essay Topic 1
What was the time before the gods like? Not just in the myths, but in the cultural idea of gods: what were the Egyptian, Greek, Roman, or Norse pantheons like before they were seen as pantheons? How did the disparate and local gods become pantheons that seemed to rule over a territory through a religion or system of myths?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of the hero in contemporary culture? Are celebrities heroes, and if so, what traits distinguish them as heroes? Make an argument for the heroic status of a contemporary figure, using the definitions Leeming uses in The World of Myth.
Essay Topic 3
How are heroes different from ordinary humans? Is everyone a hero at certain stages of their development, or is the hero a specific cultural response to social problems or situations? Use examples from The World of Myth to define the status of the hero relative to "ordinary" people.
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)