|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leeming say the stone represents in the King Arthur and Theseus myths?
2. From where does Leeming take the term "monomyth?"
3. How does Leeming describe Delphi?
4. What happened after Moses refused the call to his quest?
5. What does Leeming say the Aboriginal myth of the Pleiades resembles?
Essay Topic 1
How are heroes different from ordinary humans? Is everyone a hero at certain stages of their development, or is the hero a specific cultural response to social problems or situations? Use examples from The World of Myth to define the status of the hero relative to "ordinary" people.
Essay Topic 2
Where is Leeming most convincing and most effective as an author describing his topic? Where were you most drawn into the book and its topics, and what accounts for the interesting nature of the work?
Essay Topic 3
Describe a myth that is alive and being told today, in your culture. What are its metaphorical meanings? What mystery does the myth put you in the presence of? How does it balance abstract and physical or imaginative and real attributes?
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)