|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is not an example of a sacred mountain in Leeming's account?
2. Who sent the angel who called Moses to his quest?
3. Who attempted to convince the Trojans to accept the wooden horse?
4. What does Leeming say the city represents in myth?
5. What does Leeming say urged the Buddha into action?
Short Essay Questions
1. What significance does Leeming attribute to rocks in myth?
2. What traits does Leeming describe in heroes?
3. What significance does Leeming attribute to Delphi?
4. How does Leeming define the term monomyth?
5. Where does Leeming see images of the Great Mother in cathedrals?
6. How does Leeming define the hero?
7. When does Leeming say that heroes tend to be born?
8. What parallels does Leeming say in the Aboriginal myth of the Pleiades?
9. How does Leeming describe the significance of the city in myth?
10. What significance does Leeming attribute to the labyrinth in myth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where is Leeming least convincing and least effective on this topic? Where does he lose the reader? What are the book's weak points, and how can you account for the flaws?
Essay Topic 2
Does the packaging--the book jacket layout and design in particular--advance the material in the book? Does it detract? Analyze and describe how the publisher is striving to present this work to a book-buying marketplace. Is the book accurately represented by the cover? How could the cover, jacket, and copy have represented the book better?
Essay Topic 3
Leeming discusses the myths of a number of major cultures: Egyptian, Greek, Roman, Hebraic, Christian, Norse, and Native American. Based on what Leeming describes of their myths--their creation, hero, afterlife and apocalypse myths, as well as their god and goddesses, sacred places and objects and signs and symbols--how would you characterize the difference between two cultures?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)