|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What forms does Leeming say the heroes' guides will take?
2. What does Leeming say the story of the Pleiades typically illustrates?
3. How does Leeming say Buddha was conceived?
4. What was the young girl in the Water Jar Boy myth doing when she got pregnant?
5. Where does Leeming say Jerusalem represents?
Short Essay Questions
1. What parallels does Leeming say in the Aboriginal myth of the Pleiades?
2. What significance does Leeming attribute to the labyrinth in myth?
3. How does Leeming describe the significance of Jerusalem?
4. What mythic significance does Leeming say European cathedrals have?
5. When does Leeming say that heroes tend to be born?
6. What is significant in the story of Teiresias, in Leeming's description?
7. How does Leeming describe the significance of the city in myth?
8. What significance does Leeming attribute to rocks in myth?
9. What traits does Leeming describe in heroes?
10. How does Leeming describe the hero Herakles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Read another book about mythology--even something short, like Karen Armstrong's "A Short History of Myth"--and compare and contrast Leeming's approach to myth to another author's. What are Leeming's main preoccupations, and what are his methods? What is his style for expressing them? What does he tend to include? What does he omit? How can you characterize Leeming's intellectual personality?
Essay Topic 2
How useful is the term monomyth for the study of myth? How useful is it for analyzing a particular myth? Analyze a myth of your choice by relating it to its underlying monomyth, and discuss the benefits and limitations of the term "monomyth" as an analytical tool. How useful is it?
Essay Topic 3
How consistent are the myths from each of the cultures Leeming describes? Do the cosmogonies and the hero myths from Greece, say, demonstrate a unified Greekness? Is there a conflict in values between the different kinds of myths Leeming analyzes? Describe two myths that reveal a conflict in values within the one culture that tells them.
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)