|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Leeming define the hero?
2. Who sent the serpents that devoured the character who warned the Trojans not to accept the Greeks' wooden horse?
3. What does Leeming say the labyrinth represents?
4. How did King Arthur assume the throne?
5. What does Leeming say the stories of heroes who return or are reborn signify?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Leeming say the Mountain represents in myth?
2. How does Leeming describe the significance of Jerusalem?
3. How does Leeming describe the story of Joan of Arc?
4. What does Leeming say about the importance of death and resurrection in hero stories?
5. What significance does Leeming attribute to trees in myth?
6. What significance does Leeming attribute to rocks in myth?
7. What parallels does Leeming say in the Aboriginal myth of the Pleiades?
8. Where does Leeming see images of the Great Mother in cathedrals?
9. What significance does Leeming attribute to Delphi?
10. When does Leeming say that heroes tend to be born?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the time before the gods like? Not just in the myths, but in the cultural idea of gods: what were the Egyptian, Greek, Roman, or Norse pantheons like before they were seen as pantheons? How did the disparate and local gods become pantheons that seemed to rule over a territory through a religion or system of myths?
Essay Topic 2
Describe a myth that is alive and being told today, in your culture. What are its metaphorical meanings? What mystery does the myth put you in the presence of? How does it balance abstract and physical or imaginative and real attributes?
Essay Topic 3
How consistent are the myths from each of the cultures Leeming describes? Do the cosmogonies and the hero myths from Greece, say, demonstrate a unified Greekness? Is there a conflict in values between the different kinds of myths Leeming analyzes? Describe two myths that reveal a conflict in values within the one culture that tells them.
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)