|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leeming say most myths are like in their nature?
2. What does Leeming say beckoned to King Arthur's knights?
3. What does Leeming say happened when the Greek soldiers came out of the wooden horse and captured Troy?
4. What does Leeming say the story of the Pleiades typically illustrates?
5. What time of year does the time when heroes are born correspond to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Leeming say the fall of a city represents?
2. What does Leeming say about the importance of death and resurrection in hero stories?
3. How does Leeming describe the fall of Troy?
4. Where does Leeming see images of the Great Mother in cathedrals?
5. How does Leeming describe the myth of Gilgamesh?
6. How does Leeming say describe the most important aspect of the hero's myth?
7. What mythic significance does Leeming say European cathedrals have?
8. What significance does Leeming attribute to rocks in myth?
9. What does Leeming say the Mountain represents in myth?
10. What significance does Leeming attribute to Delphi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How useful is the term monomyth for the study of myth? How useful is it for analyzing a particular myth? Analyze a myth of your choice by relating it to its underlying monomyth, and discuss the benefits and limitations of the term "monomyth" as an analytical tool. How useful is it?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze two similar myths from different cultures, and characterize the fundamental correspondence between them. How do you account for the distinct features of each myth? Are they culturally relevant markers that characterize each culture? Are they superfluous to the essential myth itself, and therefore merely personal or individual in nature?
Essay Topic 3
Describe a myth that is alive and being told today, in your culture. What are its metaphorical meanings? What mystery does the myth put you in the presence of? How does it balance abstract and physical or imaginative and real attributes?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)