|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What idea does Leeming say that icons within churches often reinforce?
2. What does Leeming say places and objects are associated with in myth?
3. When does Leeming say heroes tend to be born?
4. What does Leeming say most myths are like in their nature?
5. Who does Leeming say Theseus' parents were?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Leeming say describe the most important aspect of the hero's myth?
2. How does Leeming define the term monomyth?
3. How does Leeming describe the significance of the city in myth?
4. What is significant in the story of Teiresias, in Leeming's description?
5. What does Leeming say the fall of a city represents?
6. What does Leeming say the Mountain represents in myth?
7. What traits does Leeming describe in heroes?
8. What significance does Leeming attribute to Delphi?
9. How does Leeming describe the hero Herakles?
10. How does Leeming define the hero?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does an interpreter of myth lose any interpretive authority if they come from a culture outside of the myth? Can an American interpret an Indian myth, or vice versa? Do you have to be inside of a myth to understand it? Can all myths be analyzed and entered into? Do some myths simply remain strangers to us?
Essay Topic 2
Does the packaging--the book jacket layout and design in particular--advance the material in the book? Does it detract? Analyze and describe how the publisher is striving to present this work to a book-buying marketplace. Is the book accurately represented by the cover? How could the cover, jacket, and copy have represented the book better?
Essay Topic 3
Make an annotated timeline that shows the development of myths from one period to the next. Make an annotated map that shows the various types of myth that were prevalent in different regions in the mid-nineteenth century, in classical times, and in the present.
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)