|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leeming say places and objects represent in myths?
2. Which is not an example of a sacred mountain in Leeming's account?
3. What does Leeming say happened when the Greek soldiers came out of the wooden horse and captured Troy?
4. How does Leeming say the Greeks thought of Delphi?
5. In what way does Leeming say that Jerusalem is an unusual city?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Water Jar Boy myth?
2. When does Leeming say that heroes tend to be born?
3. What significance does Leeming attribute to trees in myth?
4. How does Leeming describe the myth of Moses?
5. What does Leeming say the Mountain represents in myth?
6. What does Leeming say about the importance of death and resurrection in hero stories?
7. What significance does Leeming attribute to places and objects?
8. How does Leeming describe the significance of Jerusalem?
9. Where does Leeming see images of the Great Mother in cathedrals?
10. How does Leeming define the hero?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does the packaging--the book jacket layout and design in particular--advance the material in the book? Does it detract? Analyze and describe how the publisher is striving to present this work to a book-buying marketplace. Is the book accurately represented by the cover? How could the cover, jacket, and copy have represented the book better?
Essay Topic 2
Does an interpreter of myth lose any interpretive authority if they come from a culture outside of the myth? Can an American interpret an Indian myth, or vice versa? Do you have to be inside of a myth to understand it? Can all myths be analyzed and entered into? Do some myths simply remain strangers to us?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast myths of the industrial or modern age with ancient or primitive myths. How are myths different in industrial times? What aspects of myths have remained the same?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)