|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what language does the term "Cosmogony" derive?
2. How does Leeming describe cosmogonies?
3. How does Leeming describe Hopi culture?
4. For what does Leeming say the gods are metaphors?
5. What does Leeming say the Great Mother personifies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What relationship does Leeming describe between politics and religion in the myths of the Egyptian pantheon?
2. Why does Leeming say that cosmogonies are predominantly feminine?
3. Describe the Mesopotamian creation myth.
4. How does Leeming say the Romans altered the Greek pantheon?
5. How does Leeming say that cultures still worship the Great Mother?
6. How does Leeming describe the Hebrew pantheon?
7. Describe the Indian creation myth.
8. What psychological metaphor does Leeming see at the heart of creation myths?
9. How does Leeming say that pantheons can be described?
10. How does Leeming describe the Norse pantheon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of the hero in contemporary culture? Are celebrities heroes, and if so, what traits distinguish them as heroes? Make an argument for the heroic status of a contemporary figure, using the definitions Leeming uses in The World of Myth.
Essay Topic 2
How are heroes different from ordinary humans? Is everyone a hero at certain stages of their development, or is the hero a specific cultural response to social problems or situations? Use examples from The World of Myth to define the status of the hero relative to "ordinary" people.
Essay Topic 3
Leeming discusses the myths of a number of major cultures: Egyptian, Greek, Roman, Hebraic, Christian, Norse, and Native American. Based on what Leeming describes of their myths--their creation, hero, afterlife and apocalypse myths, as well as their god and goddesses, sacred places and objects and signs and symbols--how would you characterize the difference between two cultures?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)