|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Leeming say the Greek pantheon was adapted to Roman religion?
2. How does Leeming define cosmic myth?
3. What does Leeming say cosmogonies represent?
4. Whom does Leeming say parallels the serpent in the Christian garden in the Norse pantheon?
5. What does Leeming say the flood was for in Mayan culture?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Hopi creation myth.
2. How does Leeming say the Romans altered the Greek pantheon?
3. Describe the Christian creation myth.
4. How does Leeming describe the Hebrew pantheon?
5. How does Leeming define the cosmic myth?
6. Why does Leeming say that cosmogonies are predominantly feminine?
7. How does Leeming address the fall from grace or perfection in creation myths?
8. What psychological metaphor does Leeming see at the heart of creation myths?
9. How does Leeming describe the Greek pantheon?
10. How does Leeming say the figure of the trickster?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze two similar myths from different cultures, and characterize the fundamental correspondence between them. How do you account for the distinct features of each myth? Are they culturally relevant markers that characterize each culture? Are they superfluous to the essential myth itself, and therefore merely personal or individual in nature?
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between a myth and a legend or fairy tale? Cite examples from The World of Myth to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Where is Leeming most convincing and most effective as an author describing his topic? Where were you most drawn into the book and its topics, and what accounts for the interesting nature of the work?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)