|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Leeming say the Greek pantheon was adapted to Roman religion?
2. What does Leeming say the Great Mother personifies?
3. What does Leeming say was the natural phenomenon at the heart of the Egyptian religion?
4. How does Leeming define gods?
5. In Leeming's account, how did the Hopi create their creation myth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Leeming define a "cosmogony" and what kinds of stories are contained in cosmogonies?
2. Describe the Hopi creation myth.
3. What does Leeming say the Supreme Being represents in myths?
4. Describe the Christian creation myth.
5. How does Leeming describe the Egyptian pantheon?
6. How does Leeming address the fall from grace or perfection in creation myths?
7. What psychological metaphor does Leeming see at the heart of creation myths?
8. How does Leeming define the gods?
9. What contribution does Leeming say Hesiod made to Greek creation myths?
10. What stories or topics does Leeming include in the category of cosmic myths?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe a myth that is alive and being told today, in your culture. What are its metaphorical meanings? What mystery does the myth put you in the presence of? How does it balance abstract and physical or imaginative and real attributes?
Essay Topic 2
Where is Leeming most convincing and most effective as an author describing his topic? Where were you most drawn into the book and its topics, and what accounts for the interesting nature of the work?
Essay Topic 3
How consistent are the myths from each of the cultures Leeming describes? Do the cosmogonies and the hero myths from Greece, say, demonstrate a unified Greekness? Is there a conflict in values between the different kinds of myths Leeming analyzes? Describe two myths that reveal a conflict in values within the one culture that tells them.
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)