|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Frigg, in the Norse pantheon?
2. Which narrative is not an aspect of cosmogony?
3. Where did the first creation story Leeming cites come from?
4. What does Leeming say ancient cultures realized through cosmogonies?
5. To whom does Leeming say the Egyptian god Isis corresponds in the Greek pantheon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do different cultures describe the Apocalypse?
2. Describe the first creation myth to originate in Egypt.
3. How does Leeming say that pantheons can be described?
4. Describe the Hebrew creation myth.
5. What psychological metaphor does Leeming see at the heart of creation myths?
6. How does Leeming define the gods?
7. When does Leeming say the Egyptian creation myths were repeated?
8. How does Leeming describe the Greek pantheon as a family?
9. Describe the stages through which the Greek pantheon developed, in Leeming's account.
10. How does Leeming say the figure of the trickster?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How consistent are the myths from each of the cultures Leeming describes? Do the cosmogonies and the hero myths from Greece, say, demonstrate a unified Greekness? Is there a conflict in values between the different kinds of myths Leeming analyzes? Describe two myths that reveal a conflict in values within the one culture that tells them.
Essay Topic 2
How are heroes different from ordinary humans? Is everyone a hero at certain stages of their development, or is the hero a specific cultural response to social problems or situations? Use examples from The World of Myth to define the status of the hero relative to "ordinary" people.
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between a myth and a legend or fairy tale? Cite examples from The World of Myth to support your answer.
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)