Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Leeming say the Greek name Zeus comes from?
2. What is cosmogony?
3. To whom does Leeming credit the adaptation of the Greek pantheon the Roman religion?
4. What is the end goal of human development in Hopi myth, in Leeming's account?
5. What evidence does Leeming cite that suggests the presence of whites in Africa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant in the story of Teiresias, in Leeming's description?
2. What does Leeming say the Supreme Being represents in myths?
3. How does Leeming describe the myth of Gilgamesh?
4. Describe the Hebrew creation myth.
5. How does Leeming address the fall from grace or perfection in creation myths?
6. How does Leeming say the figure of the trickster?
7. How does Leeming describe the Greek pantheon?
8. What contribution does Leeming say Hesiod made to Greek creation myths?
9. What does Leeming say the Mountain represents in myth?
10. How does Leeming define the cosmic myth?
Essay Topic 1
Describe a myth that is alive and being told today, in your culture. What are its metaphorical meanings? What mystery does the myth put you in the presence of? How does it balance abstract and physical or imaginative and real attributes?
Essay Topic 2
Write an evaluative review of Leeming's The World of Myth. Where is the book most itself? Where is it unresolved, or rife with internal tensions? How are those tensions contained? What if any forces are trying to pull The World of Myth apart?
Essay Topic 3
What is the setting for a myth, and is this collection the proper place for keeping these myths alive? Does a myth require a ceremonial, ritual, or religious setting, or a certain storytelling environment, or is a myth no matter where it is told or recorded. How much is a myth dependent on the circumstances of its telling? Is a myth different when it is analyzed than it is when it is told as a story in response to events of a question?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)