|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an ontological reason for myth?
2. How does Leeming describe Hopi culture?
3. Why mystery does Leeming address with regard to human creation?
4. Who does Leeming say introduced monotheism to Egyptian culture?
5. Who is Frigg, in the Norse pantheon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the first creation myth to originate in Egypt.
2. What psychological metaphor does Leeming see at the heart of creation myths?
3. Describe the stages through which the Greek pantheon developed, in Leeming's account.
4. Where does Leeming say the figures of Supreme Beings came from in myths?
5. Describe the Christian creation myth.
6. How does Leeming describe the Hebrew pantheon?
7. Describe the Mesopotamian creation myth.
8. When does Leeming say the Egyptian creation myths were repeated?
9. How does Leeming say the Romans altered the Greek pantheon?
10. How does Leeming describe the Egyptian pantheon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze two similar myths from different cultures, and characterize the fundamental correspondence between them. How do you account for the distinct features of each myth? Are they culturally relevant markers that characterize each culture? Are they superfluous to the essential myth itself, and therefore merely personal or individual in nature?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast myths of the industrial or modern age with ancient or primitive myths. How are myths different in industrial times? What aspects of myths have remained the same?
Essay Topic 3
How consistent are the myths from each of the cultures Leeming describes? Do the cosmogonies and the hero myths from Greece, say, demonstrate a unified Greekness? Is there a conflict in values between the different kinds of myths Leeming analyzes? Describe two myths that reveal a conflict in values within the one culture that tells them.
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)