|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What evidence does Leeming cite that suggests the presence of whites in Africa?
2. What does Leeming say the flood was for in Mayan culture?
3. Why does Leeming say cultures give human form to Supreme Beings?
4. What does Leeming say was the central organizing principle of the Christian Creation myth?
5. Who is Frigg, in the Norse pantheon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Leeming describe the Hebrew pantheon?
2. Where does Leeming say the figures of Supreme Beings came from in myths?
3. How does Leeming say the figure of the trickster?
4. Describe the first creation myth to originate in Egypt.
5. How does Leeming define the cosmic myth?
6. What does Leeming say is the creation myth for modern people?
7. How do different cultures describe the Apocalypse?
8. How does Leeming say that cultures still worship the Great Mother?
9. Why does Leeming say that cosmogonies are predominantly feminine?
10. How does Leeming define a "cosmogony" and what kinds of stories are contained in cosmogonies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the time before the gods like? Not just in the myths, but in the cultural idea of gods: what were the Egyptian, Greek, Roman, or Norse pantheons like before they were seen as pantheons? How did the disparate and local gods become pantheons that seemed to rule over a territory through a religion or system of myths?
Essay Topic 2
Write an evaluative review of Leeming's The World of Myth. Where is the book most itself? Where is it unresolved, or rife with internal tensions? How are those tensions contained? What if any forces are trying to pull The World of Myth apart?
Essay Topic 3
Use two different metaphorical frameworks to analyze one myth. For instance, you could describe the myth as a metaphor for political, psychological, spiritual, linguistic, social, or historical realities. Which framework is "better" for analysis in this case? What makes one framework better than another? How can you say when a certain interpretation has gone too far?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)