|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leeming say is consistent from one set of myths to another?
2. What is the end goal of human development in Hopi myth, in Leeming's account?
3. What is cosmogony?
4. When was the New Testament book of Revelation likely composed?
5. Who was the sun god of Heliopolis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What relationship does Leeming describe between politics and religion in the myths of the Egyptian pantheon?
2. How does Leeming say the figure of the trickster?
3. What contribution does Leeming say Hesiod made to Greek creation myths?
4. What psychological metaphor does Leeming see at the heart of creation myths?
5. Where does Leeming say the figures of Supreme Beings came from in myths?
6. Describe the stages through which the Greek pantheon developed, in Leeming's account.
7. How does Leeming describe the Norse pantheon?
8. How does Leeming say the Romans altered the Greek pantheon?
9. How does Leeming describe the Greek pantheon?
10. When does Leeming say the Egyptian creation myths were repeated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze two similar myths from different cultures, and characterize the fundamental correspondence between them. How do you account for the distinct features of each myth? Are they culturally relevant markers that characterize each culture? Are they superfluous to the essential myth itself, and therefore merely personal or individual in nature?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast myths of the industrial or modern age with ancient or primitive myths. How are myths different in industrial times? What aspects of myths have remained the same?
Essay Topic 3
How useful is the term monomyth for the study of myth? How useful is it for analyzing a particular myth? Analyze a myth of your choice by relating it to its underlying monomyth, and discuss the benefits and limitations of the term "monomyth" as an analytical tool. How useful is it?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)