|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the end goal of human development in Hopi myth, in Leeming's account?
2. Where is the Norse pantheon first described in writing?
3. What does Leeming say the flood was for in Mayan culture?
4. Whose child is Horus, in the Egyptian pantheon?
5. How does Leeming define cosmology?
Short Essay Questions
1. What significance does Leeming attribute to trees in myth?
2. What mythic significance does Leeming say European cathedrals have?
3. What significance does Leeming attribute to Delphi?
4. How does Leeming say that cultures still worship the Great Mother?
5. How does Leeming define the gods?
6. How does Leeming say that pantheons can be described?
7. Describe the Hopi creation myth.
8. What does Leeming say the Supreme Being represents in myths?
9. When does Leeming say the Egyptian creation myths were repeated?
10. What psychological metaphor does Leeming see at the heart of creation myths?
Essay Topic 1
Does an interpreter of myth lose any interpretive authority if they come from a culture outside of the myth? Can an American interpret an Indian myth, or vice versa? Do you have to be inside of a myth to understand it? Can all myths be analyzed and entered into? Do some myths simply remain strangers to us?
Essay Topic 2
Make an annotated timeline that shows the development of myths from one period to the next. Make an annotated map that shows the various types of myth that were prevalent in different regions in the mid-nineteenth century, in classical times, and in the present.
Essay Topic 3
Where is Leeming most convincing and most effective as an author describing his topic? Where were you most drawn into the book and its topics, and what accounts for the interesting nature of the work?
This section contains 1,757 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)