Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Leeming say the Greek name Zeus comes from?
2. What is cosmogony?
3. To whom does Leeming credit the adaptation of the Greek pantheon the Roman religion?
4. What is the end goal of human development in Hopi myth, in Leeming's account?
5. What evidence does Leeming cite that suggests the presence of whites in Africa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant in the story of Teiresias, in Leeming's description?
2. What does Leeming say the Supreme Being represents in myths?
3. How does Leeming describe the myth of Gilgamesh?
4. Describe the Hebrew creation myth.
5. How does Leeming address the fall from grace or perfection in creation myths?
6. How does Leeming say the figure of the trickster?
7. How does Leeming describe the Greek pantheon?
8. What contribution does Leeming say Hesiod made to Greek creation myths?
9. What does Leeming say the Mountain represents in myth?
10. How does Leeming define the cosmic myth?
Compare and contrast myths of the industrial or modern age with ancient or primitive myths. How are myths different in industrial times? What aspects of myths have remained the same?
Does an interpreter of myth lose any interpretive authority if they come from a culture outside of the myth? Can an American interpret an Indian myth, or vice versa? Do you have to be inside of a myth to understand it? Can all myths be analyzed and entered into? Do some myths simply remain strangers to us?
Where is Leeming most convincing and most effective as an author describing his topic? Where were you most drawn into the book and its topics, and what accounts for the interesting nature of the work?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)