Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Leeming say the Greek name Zeus comes from?
2. What is cosmogony?
3. To whom does Leeming credit the adaptation of the Greek pantheon the Roman religion?
4. What is the end goal of human development in Hopi myth, in Leeming's account?
5. What evidence does Leeming cite that suggests the presence of whites in Africa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant in the story of Teiresias, in Leeming's description?
2. What does Leeming say the Supreme Being represents in myths?
3. How does Leeming describe the myth of Gilgamesh?
4. Describe the Hebrew creation myth.
5. How does Leeming address the fall from grace or perfection in creation myths?
6. How does Leeming say the figure of the trickster?
7. How does Leeming describe the Greek pantheon?
8. What contribution does Leeming say Hesiod made to Greek creation myths?
9. What does Leeming say the Mountain represents in myth?
10. How does Leeming define the cosmic myth?
Essay Topic 1
Does an interpreter of myth lose any interpretive authority if they come from a culture outside of the myth? Can an American interpret an Indian myth, or vice versa? Do you have to be inside of a myth to understand it? Can all myths be analyzed and entered into? Do some myths simply remain strangers to us?
Essay Topic 2
How consistent are the myths from each of the cultures Leeming describes? Do the cosmogonies and the hero myths from Greece, say, demonstrate a unified Greekness? Is there a conflict in values between the different kinds of myths Leeming analyzes? Describe two myths that reveal a conflict in values within the one culture that tells them.
Essay Topic 3
Leeming discusses the myths of a number of major cultures: Egyptian, Greek, Roman, Hebraic, Christian, Norse, and Native American. Based on what Leeming describes of their myths--their creation, hero, afterlife and apocalypse myths, as well as their god and goddesses, sacred places and objects and signs and symbols--how would you characterize the difference between two cultures?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)