|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the sun god of Heliopolis?
2. Whom does Leeming say parallels the serpent in the Christian garden in the Norse pantheon?
3. How does Leeming say the Greek pantheon differs from other pantheons?
4. Who was the oldest divine being in the Greek pantheon?
5. What does Leeming say happened to the figure of the Great Mother over time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Mesopotamian creation myth.
2. What does Leeming say the Supreme Being represents in myths?
3. What relationship does Leeming describe between politics and religion in the myths of the Egyptian pantheon?
4. Who are the primary gods in the Egyptian pantheon?
5. What stories or topics does Leeming include in the category of cosmic myths?
6. How does Leeming describe the Egyptian pantheon?
7. Describe the first creation myth to originate in Egypt.
8. How does Leeming define a "cosmogony" and what kinds of stories are contained in cosmogonies?
9. Describe the Indian creation myth.
10. How does Leeming address the fall from grace or perfection in creation myths?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of the hero in contemporary culture? Are celebrities heroes, and if so, what traits distinguish them as heroes? Make an argument for the heroic status of a contemporary figure, using the definitions Leeming uses in The World of Myth.
Essay Topic 2
How are heroes different from ordinary humans? Is everyone a hero at certain stages of their development, or is the hero a specific cultural response to social problems or situations? Use examples from The World of Myth to define the status of the hero relative to "ordinary" people.
Essay Topic 3
Describe a myth that is alive and being told today, in your culture. What are its metaphorical meanings? What mystery does the myth put you in the presence of? How does it balance abstract and physical or imaginative and real attributes?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)