|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leeming say is important about dying gods?
2. How does Leeming describe the Boshongo culture?
3. How does Leeming describe Hopi culture?
4. Where did the first creation story Leeming cites come from?
5. Where is the first recorded creation myth from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What stories or topics does Leeming include in the category of cosmic myths?
2. How does Leeming say that cultures still worship the Great Mother?
3. What does Leeming say the Supreme Being represents in myths?
4. Describe the Christian creation myth.
5. Describe the Hebrew creation myth.
6. What psychological metaphor does Leeming see at the heart of creation myths?
7. Where does Leeming say the figures of Supreme Beings came from in myths?
8. What contribution does Leeming say Hesiod made to Greek creation myths?
9. Describe the Mesopotamian creation myth.
10. How does Leeming say that pantheons can be described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does an interpreter of myth lose any interpretive authority if they come from a culture outside of the myth? Can an American interpret an Indian myth, or vice versa? Do you have to be inside of a myth to understand it? Can all myths be analyzed and entered into? Do some myths simply remain strangers to us?
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between a myth and a legend or fairy tale? Cite examples from The World of Myth to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How consistent are the myths from each of the cultures Leeming describes? Do the cosmogonies and the hero myths from Greece, say, demonstrate a unified Greekness? Is there a conflict in values between the different kinds of myths Leeming analyzes? Describe two myths that reveal a conflict in values within the one culture that tells them.
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)