|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Leeming say the Greek name Zeus comes from?
2. Why does Leeming say cultures give human form to Supreme Beings?
3. Which narrative is not an aspect of cosmogony?
4. How does Bumba create the earth in Boshongo creation myth?
5. What does Leeming say was the natural phenomenon at the heart of the Egyptian religion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What contribution does Leeming say Hesiod made to Greek creation myths?
2. What does Leeming say the Supreme Being represents in myths?
3. Who are the primary gods in the Egyptian pantheon?
4. How does Leeming describe the Greek pantheon?
5. What stories or topics does Leeming include in the category of cosmic myths?
6. How does Leeming say the figure of the trickster?
7. Describe the Christian creation myth.
8. Describe the Indian creation myth.
9. Describe the Mesopotamian creation myth.
10. How does Leeming describe the Hebrew pantheon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are heroes different from ordinary humans? Is everyone a hero at certain stages of their development, or is the hero a specific cultural response to social problems or situations? Use examples from The World of Myth to define the status of the hero relative to "ordinary" people.
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between a myth and a legend or fairy tale? Cite examples from The World of Myth to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What was the time before the gods like? Not just in the myths, but in the cultural idea of gods: what were the Egyptian, Greek, Roman, or Norse pantheons like before they were seen as pantheons? How did the disparate and local gods become pantheons that seemed to rule over a territory through a religion or system of myths?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)