|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When were the hieroglyphs made that contain the oldest myth Leeming cites?
2. What does Leeming say the flood represents as a metaphor?
3. Who does Leeming say introduced monotheism to Egyptian culture?
4. What evidence does Leeming cite that suggests the presence of whites in Africa?
5. What does Leeming say the Roman pantheon is rife with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Leeming describe the Egyptian pantheon?
2. Describe the Mesopotamian creation myth.
3. How does Leeming address the fall from grace or perfection in creation myths?
4. Describe the Hopi creation myth.
5. How does Leeming describe the fall of Troy?
6. What significance does Leeming attribute to Delphi?
7. What significance does Leeming attribute to the labyrinth in myth?
8. How does Leeming describe the Greek pantheon as a family?
9. What does Leeming say the Great Mother represents?
10. How does Leeming describe the hero Herakles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are heroes different from ordinary humans? Is everyone a hero at certain stages of their development, or is the hero a specific cultural response to social problems or situations? Use examples from The World of Myth to define the status of the hero relative to "ordinary" people.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast myths of the industrial or modern age with ancient or primitive myths. How are myths different in industrial times? What aspects of myths have remained the same?
Essay Topic 3
Does an interpreter of myth lose any interpretive authority if they come from a culture outside of the myth? Can an American interpret an Indian myth, or vice versa? Do you have to be inside of a myth to understand it? Can all myths be analyzed and entered into? Do some myths simply remain strangers to us?
This section contains 1,768 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)