|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Leeming say parallels Lucifer in the Norse pantheon?
2. How many gods and goddesses comprised the Greek pantheon?
3. When were the hieroglyphs made that contain the oldest myth Leeming cites?
4. What is cosmogony?
5. What does Leeming say Horus represents, in the Egyptian pantheon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Leeming say the figure of the trickster?
2. Describe the first creation myth to originate in Egypt.
3. What contribution does Leeming say Hesiod made to Greek creation myths?
4. How does Leeming describe the Norse pantheon?
5. What does Leeming say the Supreme Being represents in myths?
6. How does Leeming define the gods?
7. Describe the stages through which the Greek pantheon developed, in Leeming's account.
8. How do different cultures describe the Apocalypse?
9. How does Leeming say that pantheons can be described?
10. How does Leeming define the cosmic myth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an evaluative review of Leeming's The World of Myth. Where is the book most itself? Where is it unresolved, or rife with internal tensions? How are those tensions contained? What if any forces are trying to pull The World of Myth apart?
Essay Topic 2
Where is Leeming most convincing and most effective as an author describing his topic? Where were you most drawn into the book and its topics, and what accounts for the interesting nature of the work?
Essay Topic 3
Describe a myth that is alive and being told today, in your culture. What are its metaphorical meanings? What mystery does the myth put you in the presence of? How does it balance abstract and physical or imaginative and real attributes?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)