|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the temple at Delphi a microcosm for in Leeming's account?
(a) The heavens.
(b) The city.
(c) The universe.
(d) The Olympic temples.
2. What qualities does Leeming say Hercules shares with many heroes?
(a) He was childlike but wise.
(b) He was a buffoon but he was put to use in dangerous tasks.
(c) He was mortally threatened at a young age and lived to overcome danger.
(d) He did not have control over his impulses, but he was very strong and honest.
3. Why does Leeming say trees are often sacred symbols?
(a) Because the tree can provide for so many needs.
(b) Because the sacred tree's roots reach to the center of the earth.
(c) Because the tree loses its leaves but grows them back.
(d) Because the tree is the heart of so many of men's tools.
4. In what way does Leeming say that Jerusalem is an unusual city?
(a) It resisted conquest for thousands of years.
(b) It was a sacred place to Jews, Muslims, and Christians.
(c) It is at the center of the ancient world.
(d) It was conquered and reconquered frequently.
5. How does Leeming describe Antigone's quest?
(a) As an attempt to express her human nature.
(b) As a fulfillment of prophecy.
(c) As a fight against patriarchal culture.
(d) As an attempt to repent parental sins.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leeming say places and objects represent in myths?
2. What does Leeming say heroes like Karna and Buddha have because of their miraculous births?
3. What does Leeming say the sword represents in the King Arthur and Theseus myths?
4. What does Leeming say the loss of genitals represents in myth?
5. What idea does Leeming say that icons within churches often reinforce?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Leeming define the term monomyth?
2. What does Leeming see places and objects as metaphors for?
3. What does Leeming say the fall of a city represents?
4. What parallels does Leeming say in the Aboriginal myth of the Pleiades?
5. What does Leeming say the Mountain represents in myth?
6. How does Leeming describe the myth of Moses?
7. When does Leeming say that heroes tend to be born?
8. How does Leeming describe the myth of Gilgamesh?
9. How does Leeming say describe the most important aspect of the hero's myth?
10. How does Leeming describe the fall of Troy?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)