|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Leeming say Christ's cross and Odin and Attis' sacred trees represent?
(a) The physical nature of the world.
(b) The apotheosis of the hero.
(c) The bridge between death and eternity.
(d) Dual nature of death.
2. How does Leeming describe the sanctity of the garden, grove, and cave?
(a) As divine.
(b) As feminine.
(c) As political.
(d) As ancient.
3. What does Leeming say Jesus and Quetzalcoatl have in common?
(a) They were both reborn.
(b) They were both divine humans.
(c) They both preached love.
(d) They were both born of virgins.
4. How does Leeming describe the significance of the city?
(a) It is a microcosm for the social universe.
(b) It is humanity's stand against chaos.
(c) It is an expression of the divine plan.
(d) It depends on agriculture, but does not grow anything.
5. Why does Leeming say the hero sometimes refuses the quest?
(a) Because they distrust their mission.
(b) Because of a sense of unworthiness.
(c) Because they are afraid.
(d) Because they do not want to be heroes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leeming say most myths are like in their nature?
2. What does Leeming say Cuchulain had upon his birth?
3. In what way does Leeming say that Jerusalem is an unusual city?
4. What does Leeming say the hero attains in heroic feats?
5. What does Leeming say the Bethel stone represents?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Leeming say about the importance of death and resurrection in hero stories?
2. How does Leeming describe the hero Herakles?
3. What is significant in the story of Teiresias, in Leeming's description?
4. What does Leeming see places and objects as metaphors for?
5. What does Leeming say the fall of a city represents?
6. When does Leeming say that heroes tend to be born?
7. How does Leeming say describe the most important aspect of the hero's myth?
8. How does Leeming describe the significance of the city in myth?
9. How does Leeming describe the significance of Jerusalem?
10. What significance does Leeming attribute to places and objects?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)