|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Leeming say is similar between the myths of Hiawatha and the Buddha?
(a) Both are related to divine knowledge.
(b) Both conclude with an apotheosis.
(c) Both can be related to self-denial.
(d) Both involve flowers.
2. How did King Arthur assume the throne?
(a) He killed the usurper who had taken his father's life.
(b) He worked as a woman for 12 years.
(c) He pulled the sword from the stone.
(d) He killed his father and married his mother.
3. What opposition does Leeming say King Arthur faced in assuming his quest?
(a) His subjects rebel.
(b) Opponents believed he was not fit to reign.
(c) His knights were not worthy.
(d) His knights seduce his wife.
4. Who sent the serpents that devoured the character who warned the Trojans not to accept the Greeks' wooden horse?
5. Where does Leeming say Moses was called?
(a) The desert.
(b) The Holy Land.
(d) The Red Sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leeming say the hero does with the things the hero attains in heroic feats?
2. What idea does Leeming say that icons within churches often reinforce?
3. What does Leeming say beckoned to King Arthur's knights?
4. What does Leeming say Cuchulain had upon his birth?
5. What tale does Leeming describe as the epitome of the story of the loss of genitals?
Short Essay Questions
1. What parallels does Leeming say in the Aboriginal myth of the Pleiades?
2. What is the Water Jar Boy myth?
3. What does Leeming say about the importance of death and resurrection in hero stories?
4. How does Leeming describe the myth of Oedipus?
5. When does Leeming say that heroes tend to be born?
6. How does Leeming say describe the most important aspect of the hero's myth?
7. How does Leeming describe the story of Joan of Arc?
8. What is significant in the story of Teiresias, in Leeming's description?
9. What mythic significance does Leeming say European cathedrals have?
10. How does Leeming describe the significance of the city in myth?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)