|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What opposition does Leeming say King Arthur faced in assuming his quest?
(a) Opponents believed he was not fit to reign.
(b) His knights seduce his wife.
(c) His subjects rebel.
(d) His knights were not worthy.
2. What does Leeming say beckoned to King Arthur's knights?
(a) The burning bush.
(b) The Holy Grail.
(c) The maid of the lake.
(d) God's angel Gabriel.
3. When was the story of Gilgamesh likely composed?
(a) 2000 BCE.
(b) 1,500 BCE.
(c) 1,000 BCE.
(d) 900 CE.
4. What does Leeming say the Aboriginal myth of the Pleiades resembles?
(a) The Sumerian myth of the huntress.
(b) The Native American myth of the seven sisters.
(c) The Greek tale of the priestesses of Artemis being turned into stars.
(d) The Norse myth of the apocalypse.
5. Who tempts Gilgamesh in the myth?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leeming say the labyrinth represents?
2. What was Hiawatha's quest?
3. What does Leeming say Oedipus was on a quest for?
4. What does Leeming say the hero does with the things the hero attains in heroic feats?
5. What does Leeming say the rocks in the stories of Jesus, Arthur, Mithras, and Isaac represent?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Leeming define the hero?
2. What does Leeming say the Mountain represents in myth?
3. What significance does Leeming attribute to rocks in myth?
4. What traits does Leeming describe in heroes?
5. What is significant in the story of Teiresias, in Leeming's description?
6. How does Leeming describe the story of Joan of Arc?
7. Where does Leeming see images of the Great Mother in cathedrals?
8. What does Leeming see places and objects as metaphors for?
9. What mythic significance does Leeming say European cathedrals have?
10. What significance does Leeming attribute to Delphi?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)