|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Leeming say European cathedrals are thought to represent?
(a) The light of inspiration.
(b) The body of Christ on a horizontal plane.
(c) The thoughts of God.
(d) The rock on which the church exists.
2. What does Leeming say Cuchulain had upon his birth?
(a) A powerful family.
(b) Six fingers on each hand.
(c) A sword.
(d) All the powers he needed for his quest.
3. When does Leeming say heroes tend to be born?
(a) When the world is dying.
(b) When they are most needed.
(c) In spring.
(d) Half a generation after tyrants or pests.
4. Where does Leeming say heroes typically find their foes?
(a) In the underworld.
(b) In their families.
(c) In the mountains.
(d) In their wives.
5. What does Leeming say Oedipus was on a quest for?
Short Answer Questions
1. At Oedipus' birth, what did the oracle predict Oedipus would do?
2. How does Leeming describe Antigone's quest?
3. What does Leeming say the sword represents in the King Arthur and Theseus myths?
4. What does Leeming say the loss of genitals represents in myth?
5. Who tempts Gilgamesh in the myth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Leeming say the Mountain represents in myth?
2. What does Leeming see places and objects as metaphors for?
3. How does Leeming describe the myth of King Arthur?
4. How does Leeming define the hero?
5. What significance does Leeming attribute to trees in myth?
6. What significance does Leeming attribute to the labyrinth in myth?
7. What traits does Leeming describe in heroes?
8. What does Leeming say about the importance of death and resurrection in hero stories?
9. What significance does Leeming attribute to places and objects?
10. How does Leeming describe the hero Herakles?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)