|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What forms does Leeming say the heroes' guides will take?
(a) Animal spirits and stars.
(b) Wise men or fairy godmothers.
(d) Step-parents or stepsiblings.
2. What does Leeming say the loss of genitals represents in myth?
(a) Planting a seed in the womb of the Great Mother.
(b) Loss of a culture's integrity.
(c) Gaining second sight.
(d) Domination by ideas.
3. Where does Leeming say heroes typically find their foes?
(a) In the mountains.
(b) In their wives.
(c) In the underworld.
(d) In their families.
4. What does Leeming say that mountain represents as a sacred place?
(a) The permanent presence of the forebears.
(b) The prophetic vision.
(c) The end of history.
(d) The cosmic center.
5. What element does Leeming say the Water Jar Boy myth contains?
(a) Redemption by penance.
(b) Death by water.
(c) The search for the father.
(d) Creation from nothing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leeming say the city represents in myth?
2. How did King Arthur assume the throne?
3. Where does Leeming say the garden, grove, and cave derive their sanctity?
4. How old was Joan of Arc when she first heart supernatural voices?
5. Whose advice did the Trojans ignore when they decided to accept the Greeks' wooden horse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What significance does Leeming attribute to the labyrinth in myth?
2. How does Leeming describe the myth of Moses?
3. How does Leeming describe the fall of Troy?
4. How does Leeming define the term monomyth?
5. What significance does Leeming attribute to rocks in myth?
6. How does Leeming describe the myth of Oedipus?
7. What does Leeming see places and objects as metaphors for?
8. What significance does Leeming attribute to places and objects?
9. What parallels does Leeming say in the Aboriginal myth of the Pleiades?
10. What is the Water Jar Boy myth?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)