|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Leeming describe the significance of the city?
(a) It is an expression of the divine plan.
(b) It is a microcosm for the social universe.
(c) It depends on agriculture, but does not grow anything.
(d) It is humanity's stand against chaos.
2. What does Leeming say the loss of genitals represents in myth?
(a) Domination by ideas.
(b) Gaining second sight.
(c) Planting a seed in the womb of the Great Mother.
(d) Loss of a culture's integrity.
3. What was Hiawatha's quest?
(a) Fleeing her uncle.
(b) Fending off monsters.
(c) Freeing her parents.
(d) Finding a holy cup.
4. What was the young girl in the Water Jar Boy myth doing when she got pregnant?
(a) Picking flowers in a field.
(b) Washing clothing.
(c) Mixing clay.
5. How does Leeming say the hero's quest typically begins?
(a) The hero is called into action.
(b) The hero leaves home.
(c) The hero is challenged by an opponent.
(d) The hero discovers a special power.
Short Answer Questions
1. At Oedipus' birth, what did the oracle predict Oedipus would do?
2. What does Leeming say places and objects represent in myths?
3. What does Leeming say Cuchulain had upon his birth?
4. What does Leeming say happened when the Greek soldiers came out of the wooden horse and captured Troy?
5. Which is not an example of a sacred mountain in Leeming's account?
Short Essay Questions
1. What significance does Leeming attribute to trees in myth?
2. How does Leeming describe the myth of Gilgamesh?
3. What mythic significance does Leeming say European cathedrals have?
4. When does Leeming say that heroes tend to be born?
5. What does Leeming see places and objects as metaphors for?
6. Where does Leeming see images of the Great Mother in cathedrals?
7. What significance does Leeming attribute to rocks in myth?
8. What significance does Leeming attribute to places and objects?
9. How does Leeming say describe the most important aspect of the hero's myth?
10. What traits does Leeming describe in heroes?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)