|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did King Arthur assume the throne?
(a) He killed his father and married his mother.
(b) He killed the usurper who had taken his father's life.
(c) He pulled the sword from the stone.
(d) He worked as a woman for 12 years.
2. What does Leeming say the stories of heroes who return or are reborn signify?
(a) The nature of metaphor.
(b) The presence of something beyond the mortal world.
(c) The deathlessness of the imagination.
(d) The impossibility of transcendence.
3. What forms does Leeming say the heroes' guides will take?
(b) Wise men or fairy godmothers.
(c) Animal spirits and stars.
(d) Step-parents or stepsiblings.
4. What does Leeming mean by the term 'monomyth'?
(a) The tendency of most hero stories to follow one pattern.
(b) The commonality of elements in all myths.
(c) The single identity of all heroes.
(d) The persistence of the collective unconscious across cultures.
5. What does Leeming say the rocks in the stories of Jesus, Arthur, Mithras, and Isaac represent?
(a) The immanence of transcendence.
(b) The permanence of fate.
(c) A link to the Great Mother.
(d) A bridge between death and resurrection.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who attempted to convince the Trojans to accept the wooden horse?
2. What element does Leeming say the Water Jar Boy myth contains?
3. How does Leeming say most people celebrate Jerusalem?
4. Where does Leeming say the garden, grove, and cave derive their sanctity?
5. What does Leeming say the garden, grove, and cave can be ideal places for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What significance does Leeming attribute to Delphi?
2. What is significant in the story of Teiresias, in Leeming's description?
3. What significance does Leeming attribute to the labyrinth in myth?
4. How does Leeming say describe the most important aspect of the hero's myth?
5. What is the Water Jar Boy myth?
6. How does Leeming describe the myth of Oedipus?
7. How does Leeming describe the hero Herakles?
8. When does Leeming say that heroes tend to be born?
9. What significance does Leeming attribute to trees in myth?
10. How does Leeming describe the myth of Gilgamesh?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)