|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Leeming define cosmology?
(a) The study of beauty aids.
(b) The study of the structure of the universe.
(c) The scientific study of the universal order.
(d) The study of the history of the heavens.
2. For what does Leeming say the struggle among gods in the Egyptian pantheon is a metaphor?
(a) The expansion of trade in the Mediterranean.
(b) The invasion of Ethiopians in 2,200 BCE.
(c) Historical political and religious conflicts in 4,000 BCE.
(d) The human struggle against evil.
3. Who was the oldest divine being in the Greek pantheon?
4. What evidence does Leeming cite to argue for a single matriarch at the beginning of the Greek pantheon?
(a) Gaia devoured her offspring.
(b) Gaia fought to enthrone each of her husbands.
(c) Gaia killed her husbands.
(d) Gaia created her own mate.
5. What does Leeming say the flood was for in Mayan culture?
(a) As an attempt to avert a war against the gods.
(b) As a punishment for sins against the gods.
(c) As a way to help cultivate the earth.
(d) Destroying an experimental form of humankind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leeming say about cosmogonies?
2. How does Leeming define gods?
3. What does Leeming say the Great Mother personifies?
4. What psychological experience does Leeming say is central to cosmogonies?
5. What evidence does Leeming cite that suggests the presence of whites in Africa?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the first creation myth to originate in Egypt.
2. How does Leeming say the Romans altered the Greek pantheon?
3. How does Leeming describe the Greek pantheon?
4. What stories or topics does Leeming include in the category of cosmic myths?
5. Describe the Mesopotamian creation myth.
6. Why does Leeming say that cosmogonies are predominantly feminine?
7. What does Leeming say is the creation myth for modern people?
8. What relationship does Leeming describe between politics and religion in the myths of the Egyptian pantheon?
9. Describe the stages through which the Greek pantheon developed, in Leeming's account.
10. How does Leeming describe the Egyptian pantheon?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)