|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When were creation myths repeated in the culture that created the oldest myth Leeming cites?
(a) During weddings and births.
(b) During rites of passage.
(c) During wars.
(d) During coronations and funerals.
2. For what does Leeming say the gods are metaphors?
(a) Timeless laws of the universe.
(b) Elements of society, as well as human emotions.
(c) Earth, wind, water and fire.
(d) The collective unconscious.
3. What does Leeming say the Great Mother represents?
(a) Death and resurrection.
(b) Craft and teaching.
(c) Creation and nourishment.
4. How does Leeming say the Chinese describe the flood?
(a) As a punishment for sins against the gods.
(b) As a way to purge a preliminary form of humanity.
(c) As an attempt to avert a war against the gods.
(d) As a way to help cultivate the earth.
5. Who does Leeming say introduced monotheism to Egyptian culture?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Leeming say the Great Mother began to play a role over time?
2. What do the various versions of the Egyptian creation myth Leeming cites revolve around?
3. What does Leeming say was the natural phenomenon at the heart of the Egyptian religion?
4. What is the end goal of human development in Hopi myth, in Leeming's account?
5. What is eschatology?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Hebrew creation myth.
2. How does Leeming say the Romans altered the Greek pantheon?
3. What does Leeming say the Supreme Being represents in myths?
4. Describe the first creation myth to originate in Egypt.
5. How do different cultures describe the Apocalypse?
6. Describe the stages through which the Greek pantheon developed, in Leeming's account.
7. What contribution does Leeming say Hesiod made to Greek creation myths?
8. What relationship does Leeming describe between politics and religion in the myths of the Egyptian pantheon?
9. How does Leeming say the figure of the trickster?
10. Describe the Christian creation myth.
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)