|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Leeming say cultures give human form to Supreme Beings?
(a) Because humans tend to see their virtues as outlasting them.
(b) Because they do not understand anything beyond human limitations.
(c) Because they cannot express the sublimity of existence without giving it a human face.
(d) Because a Supreme Being protects them from the night.
2. What does Leeming say the Great Mother personifies?
(a) The process of being born.
(b) The pains of childbirth.
(d) The planet earth.
3. Where does Leeming say the Greek name Zeus comes from?
(a) The Egyptian for thunder.
(b) The Sumerian for death.
(c) The Sanskrit for light or day.
(d) The Persian for power.
4. Which topic does not fall under cosmology?
(a) The Great Flood.
(c) The meaning of life.
5. For what does Leeming say the struggle among gods in the Egyptian pantheon is a metaphor?
(a) Historical political and religious conflicts in 4,000 BCE.
(b) The expansion of trade in the Mediterranean.
(c) The human struggle against evil.
(d) The invasion of Ethiopians in 2,200 BCE.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Frigg, in the Norse pantheon?
2. How does Leeming say the Greek pantheon differs from other pantheons?
3. What does Leeming say suggests a desire to escape from earthly existence?
4. Whom does Leeming say parallels the serpent in the Christian garden in the Norse pantheon?
5. During whose reign was the first creation myth recorded, according to Leeming?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Hebrew creation myth.
2. Describe the stages through which the Greek pantheon developed, in Leeming's account.
3. How does Leeming describe the Norse pantheon?
4. How does Leeming describe the Greek pantheon as a family?
5. Who are the primary gods in the Egyptian pantheon?
6. How do different cultures describe the Apocalypse?
7. What psychological metaphor does Leeming see at the heart of creation myths?
8. Why does Leeming say that cosmogonies are predominantly feminine?
9. Describe the Mesopotamian creation myth.
10. What does Leeming say is the creation myth for modern people?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)