|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Leeming define cosmic myth?
(a) Myths that define the order of the world.
(b) Myths that define the history of the earth.
(c) Myths that define the constellations.
(d) Myths that explain the location of different stars.
2. Why mystery does Leeming address with regard to human creation?
(a) Why humans created gods to justify their discontent.
(b) Why humans see themselves as fundamentally flawed.
(c) Why humans have to go through rituals to regain grace.
(d) Why humans fall from grace so quickly after being created by gods.
3. When does Leeming say the Greek pantheon was adapted to Roman religion?
(a) 300-100 BCE.
(b) 500-400 BCE.
(c) 600-400 BCE.
(d) 900-500 BCE.
4. Where did the first creation story Leeming cites come from?
5. To whom does Leeming credit the adaptation of the Greek pantheon the Roman religion?
(a) The Syracusans.
(b) The Aolians.
(c) The Etruscans.
(d) The Trojans.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Leeming say the Great Mother began to play a role over time?
2. What does Leeming say was the central organizing principle of the Christian Creation myth?
3. Where does Leeming say the Greek name Zeus comes from?
4. What creation myth does Leeming say modern people favor?
5. What does Leeming say about the birth of God?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Leeming say the Great Mother represents?
2. What stories or topics does Leeming include in the category of cosmic myths?
3. How does Leeming describe the Egyptian pantheon?
4. Describe the stages through which the Greek pantheon developed, in Leeming's account.
5. How does Leeming say describe the most important aspect of the hero's myth?
6. How does Leeming say that cultures still worship the Great Mother?
7. What significance does Leeming attribute to places and objects?
8. How does Leeming describe the myth of Gilgamesh?
9. How does Leeming describe the significance of the city in myth?
10. How does Leeming define a "cosmogony" and what kinds of stories are contained in cosmogonies?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)