|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Leeming say about the birth of God?
(a) Leeming says that in almost every myth, God is born of a holy Mother.
(b) Leeming says that gods are born from almost everything in existence.
(c) Leeming says that gods can only be born of virgins.
(d) Leeming says that there is only one God, and he was born of the Virgin Mary.
2. What does Leeming say the Great Mother personifies?
(a) The planet earth.
(b) The process of being born.
(d) The pains of childbirth.
3. How does Leeming define cosmology?
(a) The study of the structure of the universe.
(b) The study of beauty aids.
(c) The study of the history of the heavens.
(d) The scientific study of the universal order.
4. What is a teleological reason for myth?
(a) To understand the origins of existence.
(b) To understand the cause and purpose of existence.
(c) To compensate for the loss of instinct.
(d) To understand the nature of language.
5. What other divine figure does Leeming say the main Norse god resembles?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leeming say happened to the figure of the Great Mother over time?
2. Who does Leeming say parallels Lucifer in the Norse pantheon?
3. Whom does Leeming say parallels the serpent in the Christian garden in the Norse pantheon?
4. What does Leeming say the Roman pantheon is rife with?
5. What does Leeming say had to happen before the Olympian gods could reign in the Greek pantheon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Leeming say the Great Mother represents?
2. How does Leeming describe the Egyptian pantheon?
3. What does Leeming say the Supreme Being represents in myths?
4. How does Leeming define a "cosmogony" and what kinds of stories are contained in cosmogonies?
5. How does Leeming say the Romans altered the Greek pantheon?
6. Who are the primary gods in the Egyptian pantheon?
7. What relationship does Leeming describe between politics and religion in the myths of the Egyptian pantheon?
8. How does Leeming describe the Greek pantheon as a family?
9. How does Leeming describe the Hebrew pantheon?
10. Describe the Indian creation myth.
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)