|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Leeming say the Greek name Zeus comes from?
(a) The Egyptian for thunder.
(b) The Persian for power.
(c) The Sumerian for death.
(d) The Sanskrit for light or day.
2. What is cosmogony?
(a) Myth of the beginning of humanity.
(b) Myth of beautification.
(c) Myth of creation.
(d) Myth of the end of time.
3. To whom does Leeming credit the adaptation of the Greek pantheon the Roman religion?
(a) The Aolians.
(b) The Etruscans.
(c) The Trojans.
(d) The Syracusans.
4. What is the end goal of human development in Hopi myth, in Leeming's account?
(a) Winning glory for their god.
(b) Growing into the light of the Sun God's power.
(c) Converting non-believers to the Hopi perspective.
(d) Manifesting the divinity on earth.
5. What evidence does Leeming cite that suggests the presence of whites in Africa?
(a) Bumba subjugates other tribes.
(b) Bumba speaks a foreign language.
(c) Bumba has new ways of doing things.
(d) Bumba is white.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Leeming say the oldest myth refers?
2. When were creation myths repeated in the culture that created the oldest myth Leeming cites?
3. What do the various versions of the Egyptian creation myth Leeming cites revolve around?
4. What psychological experience does Leeming say is central to cosmogonies?
5. How does Leeming say the Chinese describe the flood?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant in the story of Teiresias, in Leeming's description?
2. What does Leeming say the Supreme Being represents in myths?
3. How does Leeming describe the myth of Gilgamesh?
4. Describe the Hebrew creation myth.
5. How does Leeming address the fall from grace or perfection in creation myths?
6. How does Leeming say the figure of the trickster?
7. How does Leeming describe the Greek pantheon?
8. What contribution does Leeming say Hesiod made to Greek creation myths?
9. What does Leeming say the Mountain represents in myth?
10. How does Leeming define the cosmic myth?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)