|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Leeming say had to happen before the Olympian gods could reign in the Greek pantheon?
(a) Two dynasties of gods had to be overthrown.
(b) The flood.
(c) Humans had to offer their worship.
(d) The Olympian gods had to create humans.
2. What does Leeming say about the birth of God?
(a) Leeming says that gods are born from almost everything in existence.
(b) Leeming says that in almost every myth, God is born of a holy Mother.
(c) Leeming says that gods can only be born of virgins.
(d) Leeming says that there is only one God, and he was born of the Virgin Mary.
3. What does Leeming say the Great Mother represents?
(a) Death and resurrection.
(b) Craft and teaching.
(d) Creation and nourishment.
4. How does Leeming define cosmology?
(a) The study of beauty aids.
(b) The study of the history of the heavens.
(c) The study of the structure of the universe.
(d) The scientific study of the universal order.
5. What other divine figure does Leeming say the main Norse god resembles?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Leeming describe the mythic concern with creation?
2. What does Leeming say happened to the figure of the Great Mother over time?
3. What is the end goal of human development in Hopi myth, in Leeming's account?
4. When does Leeming say the Greek pantheon was adapted to Roman religion?
5. Who was the oldest divine being in the Greek pantheon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Christian creation myth.
2. How does Leeming define a "cosmogony" and what kinds of stories are contained in cosmogonies?
3. When does Leeming say the Egyptian creation myths were repeated?
4. What relationship does Leeming describe between politics and religion in the myths of the Egyptian pantheon?
5. Describe the Indian creation myth.
6. Who are the primary gods in the Egyptian pantheon?
7. What does Leeming say the Supreme Being represents in myths?
8. How do different cultures describe the Apocalypse?
9. What stories or topics does Leeming include in the category of cosmic myths?
10. How does Leeming describe the Greek pantheon?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)