|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose behavior does Leeming say explains the behavior of the Olympian gods in the Greek pantheon?
(a) The Egyptians'.
(b) The Etruscans'.
(c) The Greek ruling class'.
(d) The Persians'.
2. What does Leeming say suggests a desire to escape from earthly existence?
(a) The transition from struggle and creation to fall from grace.
(b) The transformation from instinctual to moral consciousness.
(c) The development of technology.
(d) The evolution of morals and laws.
3. How does Leeming define cosmic myth?
(a) Myths that define the constellations.
(b) Myths that explain the location of different stars.
(c) Myths that define the history of the earth.
(d) Myths that define the order of the world.
4. What does Leeming say was the natural phenomenon at the heart of the Egyptian religion?
(a) The flooding of the Nile.
(b) The death of each generation.
(c) The expansion of the desert.
(d) The birth of new children each generation.
5. Who does Leeming say is the archetypal helper god in the Meso-American pantheon?
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Leeming say the Egyptian god Isis corresponds in the Greek pantheon?
2. What is an ontological reason for myth?
3. When were the Coffin Texts made?
4. In Leeming's account, how did the Hopi create their creation myth?
5. What does Leeming say happened to the figure of the Great Mother over time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Leeming define the gods?
2. What stories or topics does Leeming include in the category of cosmic myths?
3. What psychological metaphor does Leeming see at the heart of creation myths?
4. Describe the Christian creation myth.
5. How does Leeming say the Romans altered the Greek pantheon?
6. How does Leeming describe the Greek pantheon?
7. Describe the Hebrew creation myth.
8. What does Leeming say the Great Mother represents?
9. When does Leeming say the Egyptian creation myths were repeated?
10. Describe the Hopi creation myth.
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)