|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is cosmogony?
(a) Myth of beautification.
(b) Myth of the beginning of humanity.
(c) Myth of creation.
(d) Myth of the end of time.
2. What does Leeming say the Great Mother personifies?
(a) The pains of childbirth.
(b) The planet earth.
(c) The process of being born.
3. When were creation myths repeated in the culture that created the oldest myth Leeming cites?
(a) During rites of passage.
(b) During weddings and births.
(c) During wars.
(d) During coronations and funerals.
4. The first recorded creation myth was part myth and part what else?
(a) Celebration of the high Marduk.
(b) Funeral dirge.
(c) Wedding ode.
(d) Rite of passage.
5. How does Leeming describe Hopi culture?
(a) As warlike.
(b) As patriarchal.
(c) As matrilineal.
(d) As communal.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Leeming define cosmology?
2. For what does Leeming say the struggle among gods in the Egyptian pantheon is a metaphor?
3. What does Leeming say the Supreme Being represents?
4. For what does Leeming say the gods are metaphors?
5. What does Leeming say Isis is the goddess of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What contribution does Leeming say Hesiod made to Greek creation myths?
2. How does Leeming say that cultures still worship the Great Mother?
3. How does Leeming describe the Egyptian pantheon?
4. Describe the Mesopotamian creation myth.
5. Describe the Hopi creation myth.
6. When does Leeming say the Egyptian creation myths were repeated?
7. How does Leeming define a "cosmogony" and what kinds of stories are contained in cosmogonies?
8. Describe the first creation myth to originate in Egypt.
9. How does Leeming say that pantheons can be described?
10. How does Leeming describe the Greek pantheon as a family?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)