|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Leeming's account, how did the Hopi create their creation myth?
(a) Through spreading their culture.
(b) Through art.
(c) Through song.
(d) Through initiating their children.
2. How does Leeming describe cosmogonies?
(a) As ritual.
(b) As sacramental.
(c) As prophetic.
(d) As nostalgic.
3. Where did the first creation story Leeming cites come from?
4. Where does Leeming say the Greek name Zeus comes from?
(a) The Persian for power.
(b) The Sanskrit for light or day.
(c) The Egyptian for thunder.
(d) The Sumerian for death.
5. What does Leeming say the Great Mother personifies?
(a) The planet earth.
(b) The process of being born.
(c) The pains of childbirth.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Leeming say the older Genesis text was likely composed?
2. What does Leeming say had to happen before the Olympian gods could reign in the Greek pantheon?
3. The first recorded creation myth was part myth and part what else?
4. What is a teleological reason for myth?
5. Where does Leeming say the world originates in the Christian creation myth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Leeming say that cosmogonies are predominantly feminine?
2. What contribution does Leeming say Hesiod made to Greek creation myths?
3. How does Leeming describe the Greek pantheon as a family?
4. Describe the first creation myth to originate in Egypt.
5. Describe the Hopi creation myth.
6. Who are the primary gods in the Egyptian pantheon?
7. What does Leeming say is the creation myth for modern people?
8. How does Leeming say that pantheons can be described?
9. What psychological metaphor does Leeming see at the heart of creation myths?
10. Describe the Mesopotamian creation myth.
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)