|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Leeming say cosmogonies represent?
(a) Historical realities.
(b) Scientific truths.
(c) Cultural truths.
(d) Future predictions.
2. In Leeming's account, how did the Hopi create their creation myth?
(a) Through initiating their children.
(b) Through art.
(c) Through song.
(d) Through spreading their culture.
3. How does Leeming describe cosmogonies?
(a) As prophetic.
(b) As ritual.
(c) As nostalgic.
(d) As sacramental.
4. What does Leeming say the Egyptian pantheon is centered on?
(b) The possibility of self-fulfillment.
(c) Death and resurrection.
(d) The balance between free will and fate.
5. Why does Leeming say cultures give human form to Supreme Beings?
(a) Because a Supreme Being protects them from the night.
(b) Because humans tend to see their virtues as outlasting them.
(c) Because they do not understand anything beyond human limitations.
(d) Because they cannot express the sublimity of existence without giving it a human face.
6. When does Leeming say the Greek pantheon was adapted to Roman religion?
(a) 300-100 BCE.
(b) 600-400 BCE.
(c) 500-400 BCE.
(d) 900-500 BCE.
7. What creation myth does Leeming say modern people favor?
(a) The Big Bang.
(c) Intelligent design.
(d) Creation ex nihilo.
8. When does Leeming say the older Genesis text was likely composed?
(a) 950 BCE.
(b) 500 BCE.
(c) 110 CE.
(d) 800 BCE.
9. When were the hieroglyphs made that contain the oldest myth Leeming cites?
(a) 1800-1500 BCE.
(b) 3000-2200 BCE.
(c) 2200-2000 BCE.
(d) 1500-1200 BCE.
10. What psychological experience does Leeming say is central to cosmogonies?
(a) The rise of nationalism from tribalism.
(b) The rise of consciousness from unconsciousness.
(c) The rise of technology.
(d) The rise of industry from crafts.
11. Who does Leeming say is the archetypal helper god in the Meso-American pantheon?
12. What evidence does Leeming cite that suggests the presence of whites in Africa?
(a) Bumba has new ways of doing things.
(b) Bumba subjugates other tribes.
(c) Bumba is white.
(d) Bumba speaks a foreign language.
13. Where is the first recorded creation myth from?
14. When were the Coffin Texts made?
(a) 2134-1200 BCE.
(b) 3000-2134 BCE.
(c) 2134 BCE.
(d) 2134-1660 BCE.
15. What does Leeming say about the birth of God?
(a) Leeming says that in almost every myth, God is born of a holy Mother.
(b) Leeming says that gods can only be born of virgins.
(c) Leeming says that gods are born from almost everything in existence.
(d) Leeming says that there is only one God, and he was born of the Virgin Mary.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the Norse pantheon first described in writing?
2. How does Leeming describe Hopi culture?
3. Whose behavior does Leeming say explains the behavior of the Olympian gods in the Greek pantheon?
4. What does Leeming say gods are fighting for in the Egyptian pantheon?
5. What does Leeming say the gods function as in myth?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)