|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Leeming say the Hebrew creation myth was concerned with?
(a) The morality of human beings.
(b) The possibility of justice in dealings with people.
(c) The indifference of the creator to his creation.
(d) The role of humanity in the universe.
2. To whom does Leeming say the Egyptian god Isis corresponds in the Greek pantheon?
3. Who does Leeming say is the archetypal helper god in the Meso-American pantheon?
4. What does Leeming say the flood represents as a metaphor?
(a) The clean feeling after admitting wrong.
(b) The unconscious before experiencing rebirth.
(c) The cleansing effect of death on culture.
(d) Extreme guilt washing away with forgiveness.
5. Why does Leeming say cultures give human form to Supreme Beings?
(a) Because a Supreme Being protects them from the night.
(b) Because they do not understand anything beyond human limitations.
(c) Because they cannot express the sublimity of existence without giving it a human face.
(d) Because humans tend to see their virtues as outlasting them.
6. Where does Leeming say the Great Mother began to play a role over time?
(a) In folklore.
(b) In modern art.
(c) In industrial religion.
(d) In primitive culture.
7. What does Leeming say was the natural phenomenon at the heart of the Egyptian religion?
(a) The birth of new children each generation.
(b) The expansion of the desert.
(c) The flooding of the Nile.
(d) The death of each generation.
8. Where did the first creation story Leeming cites come from?
9. When were the hieroglyphs made that contain the oldest myth Leeming cites?
(a) 3000-2200 BCE.
(b) 1500-1200 BCE.
(c) 2200-2000 BCE.
(d) 1800-1500 BCE.
10. When were the Coffin Texts made?
(a) 2134 BCE.
(b) 2134-1660 BCE.
(c) 2134-1200 BCE.
(d) 3000-2134 BCE.
11. When was the New Testament book of Revelation likely composed?
(a) 33 BCE.
(b) 51 CE.
(c) 95 CE.
(d) 110 CE.
12. When does Leeming say the older Genesis text was likely composed?
(a) 110 CE.
(b) 800 BCE.
(c) 500 BCE.
(d) 950 BCE.
13. What psychological experience does Leeming say is central to cosmogonies?
(a) The rise of industry from crafts.
(b) The rise of technology.
(c) The rise of nationalism from tribalism.
(d) The rise of consciousness from unconsciousness.
14. Who does Leeming say parallels Lucifer in the Norse pantheon?
15. When does Leeming say the Greek pantheon was adapted to Roman religion?
(a) 300-100 BCE.
(b) 600-400 BCE.
(c) 900-500 BCE.
(d) 500-400 BCE.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leeming say cosmogonies represent?
2. What does Leeming say the flood was for in Mayan culture?
3. What is a teleological reason for myth?
4. What does Leeming say the Egyptian pantheon is centered on?
5. What does Leeming say Horus represents, in the Egyptian pantheon?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)