|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the sun god of Heliopolis?
(a) Re or Atun.
2. What does Leeming say happened to the figure of the Great Mother over time?
(a) It lost significance.
(b) It acquired new faces.
(c) It lingered at the periphery of industrial culture.
(d) It became merely decorative.
3. How does Leeming describe Hopi culture?
(a) As communal.
(b) As matrilineal.
(c) As patriarchal.
(d) As warlike.
4. What other divine figure does Leeming say the main Norse god resembles?
5. During whose reign was the first creation myth recorded, according to Leeming?
6. How does Leeming describe the Boshongo culture?
(a) As matriarchal.
(b) As patrilineal.
(c) As communal.
(d) As warlike.
7. What does Leeming say the Roman pantheon is rife with?
(a) Political metaphor.
(b) Anxiety about the Greeks' supremacy.
(c) Legalistic language.
(d) Prophecy of Christ.
8. To whom does Leeming say the Egyptian god Isis corresponds in the Greek pantheon?
9. What does Leeming say the Great Mother personifies?
(b) The planet earth.
(c) The pains of childbirth.
(d) The process of being born.
10. What does Leeming say the Egyptian pantheon is centered on?
(b) The possibility of self-fulfillment.
(c) Death and resurrection.
(d) The balance between free will and fate.
11. How does Leeming describe the trickster gods?
(a) As half-goat.
(b) As male and promiscuous.
(c) As gods of craft as well.
(d) As young and unmarried.
12. Who is Frigg, in the Norse pantheon?
(a) The goddess of the hunt.
(b) The goddess of cultivation.
(c) Odin's wife.
(d) The earth mother.
13. When were the hieroglyphs made that contain the oldest myth Leeming cites?
(a) 1800-1500 BCE.
(b) 2200-2000 BCE.
(c) 3000-2200 BCE.
(d) 1500-1200 BCE.
14. When does Leeming say the older Genesis text was likely composed?
(a) 800 BCE.
(b) 500 BCE.
(c) 950 BCE.
(d) 110 CE.
15. What does Leeming say is important about dying gods?
(a) Dying gods give men reasons to go to war.
(b) Dying gods protect humans from their feelings about death.
(c) Dying gods let cultures experience death and resurrection.
(d) Dying gods explain the seasons.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Leeming say the Great Mother began to play a role over time?
2. When was the Book of the Dead made?
3. What does Leeming say myths describe with regard to individuals relating to the Supreme Being?
4. Who does Leeming say introduced monotheism to Egyptian culture?
5. What does Leeming say the Hebrew creation myth was concerned with?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)