|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Leeming say the Supreme Being represents?
(a) The beginning and end of time.
(b) The embodiment of kingship.
(c) The possibility of redemption.
(d) The laws of creation.
2. How does Leeming say the Greek pantheon differs from other pantheons?
(a) The Greek gods were not always more powerful than humans.
(b) The Greek gods retained their local origins and cults.
(c) The Greek gods had a great number of human attributes.
(d) The Greek gods were imposed on cultures Greeks influenced.
3. What evidence does Leeming cite to argue for a single matriarch at the beginning of the Greek pantheon?
(a) Gaia fought to enthrone each of her husbands.
(b) Gaia created her own mate.
(c) Gaia devoured her offspring.
(d) Gaia killed her husbands.
4. How does Bumba create the earth in Boshongo creation myth?
(a) He finds it.
(b) He vomits it.
(c) He fashions it from stone.
(d) He excretes it.
5. When were the hieroglyphs made that contain the oldest myth Leeming cites?
(a) 1500-1200 BCE.
(b) 3000-2200 BCE.
(c) 2200-2000 BCE.
(d) 1800-1500 BCE.
6. What psychological experience does Leeming say is central to cosmogonies?
(a) The rise of nationalism from tribalism.
(b) The rise of technology.
(c) The rise of industry from crafts.
(d) The rise of consciousness from unconsciousness.
7. Who does Leeming say is the archetypal helper god in the Greco-Roman Pantheon?
8. How does Leeming define cosmic myth?
(a) Myths that define the history of the earth.
(b) Myths that define the constellations.
(c) Myths that explain the location of different stars.
(d) Myths that define the order of the world.
9. Where did the first creation story Leeming cites come from?
10. What does Leeming say the gods function as in myth?
(c) Masks and metaphors.
11. What does Leeming say the Hebraic people's monotheistic god focused on?
(a) The importance of proselytizing.
(b) The sublimity of God.
(c) The dangers of disobeying God.
(d) The importance of being on a mission.
12. What does Leeming say the flood was for in Mayan culture?
(a) As a way to help cultivate the earth.
(b) As a punishment for sins against the gods.
(c) Destroying an experimental form of humankind.
(d) As an attempt to avert a war against the gods.
13. What does Leeming say Horus represents, in the Egyptian pantheon?
(a) The spiritual force governing the Pharaoh.
(b) The rebirth of the earth after winter.
(c) The playful nature of fate.
(d) The rage of war.
14. During whose reign was the first creation myth recorded, according to Leeming?
15. What does Leeming say is important about dying gods?
(a) Dying gods give men reasons to go to war.
(b) Dying gods protect humans from their feelings about death.
(c) Dying gods explain the seasons.
(d) Dying gods let cultures experience death and resurrection.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is cosmogony?
2. What creation myth does Leeming say modern people favor?
3. What does Leeming say the Roman pantheon is rife with?
4. How do the Greeks explain the presence of winter?
5. When were the Coffin Texts made?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)