|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Leeming say earth religions still worship the Great Mother?
(a) In the seasons.
(b) In the constellations.
(c) In modern agriculture.
(d) In the form of nature.
2. How does Leeming describe the Greek people's pantheon?
(a) As a system of checks and balances.
(b) As a set of gods cobbled together into a narrative.
(c) As a divine family.
(d) As a nationalization of local gods.
3. Who does Leeming say is the archetypal helper god in the Greco-Roman Pantheon?
4. When was the New Testament book of Revelation likely composed?
(a) 110 CE.
(b) 33 BCE.
(c) 95 CE.
(d) 51 CE.
5. What evidence does Leeming cite that suggests the presence of whites in Africa?
(a) Bumba subjugates other tribes.
(b) Bumba is white.
(c) Bumba speaks a foreign language.
(d) Bumba has new ways of doing things.
6. For what does Leeming say the gods are metaphors?
(a) Timeless laws of the universe.
(b) The collective unconscious.
(c) Earth, wind, water and fire.
(d) Elements of society, as well as human emotions.
7. What does Leeming say is important about dying gods?
(a) Dying gods give men reasons to go to war.
(b) Dying gods explain the seasons.
(c) Dying gods let cultures experience death and resurrection.
(d) Dying gods protect humans from their feelings about death.
8. What does Leeming say the Roman pantheon is rife with?
(a) Legalistic language.
(b) Political metaphor.
(c) Prophecy of Christ.
(d) Anxiety about the Greeks' supremacy.
9. Whose child is Horus, in the Egyptian pantheon?
(a) Isis and Geb.
(b) Isis and Osiris.
(c) Anubis and Isis.
(d) Isis and Amun.
10. How does Bumba create the earth in Boshongo creation myth?
(a) He fashions it from stone.
(b) He vomits it.
(c) He finds it.
(d) He excretes it.
11. What does Leeming say had to happen before the Olympian gods could reign in the Greek pantheon?
(a) Humans had to offer their worship.
(b) Two dynasties of gods had to be overthrown.
(c) The Olympian gods had to create humans.
(d) The flood.
12. What other divine figure does Leeming say the main Norse god resembles?
13. When does Leeming say the older Genesis text was likely composed?
(a) 110 CE.
(b) 500 BCE.
(c) 950 BCE.
(d) 800 BCE.
14. What does Leeming say Isis is the goddess of?
(c) The earth and moon.
(d) The hearth.
15. The first recorded creation myth was part myth and part what else?
(a) Funeral dirge.
(b) Celebration of the high Marduk.
(c) Wedding ode.
(d) Rite of passage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Leeming say introduced monotheism to Egyptian culture?
2. How many gods and goddesses comprised the Greek pantheon?
3. How does Leeming describe cosmogonies?
4. Whose behavior does Leeming say explains the behavior of the Olympian gods in the Greek pantheon?
5. In Leeming's account, how did the Hopi create their creation myth?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)