|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was the New Testament book of Revelation likely composed?
(a) 33 BCE.
(b) 51 CE.
(c) 95 CE.
(d) 110 CE.
2. During whose reign was the first creation myth recorded, according to Leeming?
3. What is the creation myth called in Mesopotamia?
(b) Re or Atun.
(c) Enuma Elish.
(d) The Gaia hypothesis.
4. What does Leeming say the Hebraic people's monotheistic god focused on?
(a) The sublimity of God.
(b) The importance of proselytizing.
(c) The dangers of disobeying God.
(d) The importance of being on a mission.
5. Where does Leeming say the world originates in the Christian creation myth?
6. When were the hieroglyphs made that contain the oldest myth Leeming cites?
(a) 3000-2200 BCE.
(b) 2200-2000 BCE.
(c) 1500-1200 BCE.
(d) 1800-1500 BCE.
7. How does Leeming define gods?
(a) They are projections of human dreams into enduring characters.
(b) They are metaphors for human experiences.
(c) They are manifestations of the collective unconscious.
(d) They are immortal beings who personify the transcendence of the laws of nature.
8. What does Leeming say suggests a desire to escape from earthly existence?
(a) The transition from struggle and creation to fall from grace.
(b) The development of technology.
(c) The evolution of morals and laws.
(d) The transformation from instinctual to moral consciousness.
9. When does Leeming say the older Genesis text was likely composed?
(a) 110 CE.
(b) 500 BCE.
(c) 800 BCE.
(d) 950 BCE.
10. Where is the Norse pantheon first described in writing?
(a) Tacitus' Germania.
(b) The Nibelungenleid.
(c) The Kalevala.
(d) The Elder and Younger Eddas.
11. What is an ontological reason for myth?
(a) To understand the goal of existence.
(b) To beautify existence.
(c) To compensate for the loss of instinct.
(d) To understand existence.
12. How does Leeming describe the trickster gods?
(a) As male and promiscuous.
(b) As gods of craft as well.
(c) As half-goat.
(d) As young and unmarried.
13. What does Leeming say the flood was for in Mayan culture?
(a) As an attempt to avert a war against the gods.
(b) As a way to help cultivate the earth.
(c) Destroying an experimental form of humankind.
(d) As a punishment for sins against the gods.
14. How does Leeming say earth religions still worship the Great Mother?
(a) In the form of nature.
(b) In the seasons.
(c) In the constellations.
(d) In modern agriculture.
15. Who does Leeming say introduced monotheism to Egyptian culture?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Leeming say is important about dying gods?
2. How does Leeming say the Supreme Being is frequently characterized?
3. How many gods and goddesses comprised the Greek pantheon?
4. How does Bumba create the earth in Boshongo creation myth?
5. What problem or question does Leeming say cultures were addressing in cosmogonies?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)